• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

I think Fury just needs to find a home. I would think it's stronger as a card that stops your opponent from casting spells, and that it just happens to do the other stuff as a bonus.

I winston drafted my first box. My plan for expansions is 2 booster boxes and a fat pack. I opened this one up allll for me. It was not bad! No Aurelia fun times of any sort. I got a second Domri Rade and a second Enter the Infinite. I'm up to two Boros Charms now.

Shock lands are surprisingly scare in my anecdotal sample size.

bunbun777

Picked up a fat pack tonight. Ended up with another Gideon, simic guild leader, foil simic manipulator. No shocklands but did get a b/w angel servant token.

Negator

Whoops, sorry, I thought I posted the deck list.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1163

I modified it a bit to my liking, though

+3 Temple Garden (Need more green, but fuck forests. Do not want to be unable to cast my Reckoner ever.)
+3 Lightning Mauler
+3 Ghor-Clan Rampager

-4 Pillar of Flame
-4 Ash Zealot
-1 Mountain

I don't know if these changes are right, but I really wanted more gas against Restoration Angel shenanigans. Rampager seemed like the best answer.

ultron87

After playing only Limited for forever I'm going to go play Standard at FNM tonight. I'm kind of excited. Playing UW Control, so I entirely expect to get totally run over by the aggro decks that seem to be big now, but we'll see how it goes.

If only Reckoners weren't like 10+ a piece... I want all of them for multiple reasons

Holy shit, they're really that high? I haven't been looking at prices at all but I didn't think it was that bad. I wonder if the price will fall once gatecrash is out for a while. A lot of normal rares settle lower. I guess we'll see how used he is.

Edit: It's still mostly cheaper stuff besides that and the shock lands. Most decks are much more rare heavy. Although, I don't know if Stomkirk went up recently with aggro taking off. Card used to be pretty cheap though.

Edit2: Nope, still seems pretty cheap.

OnPoint

Holy shit, they're really that high? I haven't been looking at prices at all but I didn't think it was that bad. I wonder if the price will fall once gatecrash is out for a while. A lot of normal rares settle lower. I guess we'll see how used he is.

Edit: It's still mostly cheaper stuff besides that and the shock lands. Most decks are much more rare heavy. Although, I don't know if Stomkirk went up recently with aggro taking off. Card used to be pretty cheap though.

Edit2: Nope, still seems pretty cheap.

I think he'll eventually settle lower but not until this infatuation with Red aggro goes south. Of course, that deck seems well positioned to be around for a little bit honestly.

I have a buddy that wants to draft tonight, he never has before. I have only done it a few times.

for 1 one 1 do you guys recommend a certain format?

Winston I have played but I am reading about Winchester

what do you guys like more? or do you have another option?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I decided to do a gatecrash prerelease on modo tonight and this is what I get as my sealed pool (choosing Orzhov)...

ib1CZfWl9g2Zdk.jpg

This is the worst sealed pool in the history of MTG. Fuck me.

So I decided to do a gatecrash prerelease on modo tonight and this is what I get as my sealed pool (choosing Orzhov)...

ib1CZfWl9g2Zdk.jpg

This is the worst sealed pool in the history of MTG. Fuck me.

hurry and switch to boros. madcap skills and assemble the legion are two seperate win conditions.

b/r/w, dutiful thrull + madcap skills, 4/1 regenerate can only be blocked by 2+ creatures

assemble the legion - wins by itself play it play it now.

boros charm - it's boros charm

martial glory, mugging - good cards.

take out: the 5 blue (if you're playing blue you should have included totally lost), and uh... urbis protector?

take out second urbis protector put in towering thunderfist

highly consider putting in armored transport - take out... no idea. night watch?
same with wojek halbreders, good card dunno what to take out... horror of the dim?

edit again- if you mean worst sealed pool in terms of money............................ yeah. I'm sorry for your loss :(

kirblar

I have a buddy that wants to draft tonight, he never has before. I have only done it a few times.

for 1 one 1 do you guys recommend a certain format?

Winston I have played but I am reading about Winchester

what do you guys like more? or do you have another option?
Has he ever played Sealed before? Draft is like diving into the deep end.

Sinatar

hurry and switch to boros. madcap skills and assemble the legion are two seperate win conditions.

b/r/w, dutiful thrull + madcap skills, 4/1 regenerate can only be blocked by 2+ creatures

take out: the 5 blue (if you're playing blue you should have included totally lost), and uh... urbis protector?

highly consider putting in armored transport - take out... no idea. night watch?
same with wojek halbreders, good card dunno what to take out... horror of the dim?

edit again- if you mean worst sealed pool in terms of money............................ yeah. I'm sorry for your loss :(

It was too late to change my deck to borzhov but I have done that in sideboarding. Won my first match 2-0 off of nightveil spectre being sweet.

yeah I might be screwing you since without blue the BBB will be harder to cast. but seriously. assemble the legion wins games by itself. madcap can give turn 5 wins with just 1 creature

Sinatar

yeah I might be screwing you since without blue the BBB will be harder to cast. but seriously. assemble the legion wins games by itself. madcap can give turn 5 wins with just 1 creature

I didn't go red just cause I have so few creatures... in any bloody colour.

Thank god people playing in pre-releases are generally awful at magic, it's my only chance.

kirblar

Opening this set is like burning money.

Sinatar

Opening this set is like burning money.

This was purely for fun, I'm definitely not doing it for profit.

That in mind, this pool is still awful. I mean I just played against the nut Dimir deck, dude had *2* Lazav's, and yet he never changed him from a 3/3 cause my creatures are so bad.

Sinatar

I am somehow 2-1.

Casting mad cap skills on my angel token and then boros charming for 14 damage was fun.

Sinatar

2-2 overall, last match was pretty close.

Extort is pretty damn nice in limited, don't know if it has any constructed implications though. Probably not outside of maybe blind obedience.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Did a prerelease draft with a co-worker...3x madcap skills, buncha weenies, and some battalion pumpers was unstoppable. Went 3-0.

Just drafted a orzhov deck with a blue splash...splashing was a huge mistake. Be lucky if I win 1 match. Edit: Somehow stole a 2-1 result.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Hello everyone! I've always lurked the previous thread but never posted (Was a little daunting), but since this is a new thread, I figured I would join in!

I had a question though: Karn Liberated has doubled in price over the past two or so weeks, any reason for this? I couldn't find it out.

kirblar

Hello everyone! I've always lurked the previous thread but never posted (Was a little daunting), but since this is a new thread, I figured I would join in!

I had a question though: Karn Liberated has doubled in price over the past two or so weeks, any reason for this? I couldn't find it out.
He's a third set Mythic that's a 4x in Modern Tron. You had to open 8 boxes to get a playset.

THAT MOTHERFUCKER IS $33??? I'm so glad I traded mine after it rotated and was like $6-$7 a piece. :mad:

bigkrev

Broke my streak of 0-2 drops in sanctioned events tonight at draft by going 3-1, loosing in the last round. I managed to not play any of my 1st picks and had a nice Orzohv deck, at one point winning a game where my opponent was at 32 life and I was at 6.

Negator

Sacred Foundry is literally impossible to find in my area.

I was hoping to convert these Breeding Pools into them but I have had absolutely no luck at all :/

Saito's R/G list is legit. My god this thing is a blast to play.
I built this the other night ran it today against my deck (selesnya midrange) and a few other decks my friends have. I don't think it's that great. Just my 2 cents. If you have any life gain (Centaur Healer, Thragtusk) you can stagnate this deck, hell dropping a Loxodon Smiter turn 2 puts a 4/4 out there that it can't punch trough.

Whoops, sorry, I thought I posted the deck list.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1163

I modified it a bit to my liking, though

+3 Temple Garden (Need more green, but fuck forests. Do not want to be unable to cast my Reckoner ever.)
+3 Lightning Mauler
+3 Ghor-Clan Rampager

-4 Pillar of Flame
-4 Ash Zealot
-1 Mountain

I don't know if these changes are right, but I really wanted more gas against Restoration Angel shenanigans. Rampager seemed like the best answer.
I disagree with the deck needing more green, the only green "requirements" are Flinthoof and Rancor, everything else is doable with red. Even Burning Tree is 2 red, and it will give you a green+red when it drops so you can cast a rancor and Pillar, or drop a flinthoof. As for changes, I've been screwing around with a few options. I definitely feel the Raxdos Cackler is a weak point, IMO Vexing Devil would be preferable. Devil is the same mana, and gives you a 4/3 or they take 4 to the face, either option should be nauseating to your opponent in a deck built this much on speed/damage.

Is it fun? It looks like it's just a relatively aggro list. It looks pretty cheap to make though which is really cool if it's a viable deck.
It is fun if you like aggro, it's "relatively" cheap around $190 tcg average price if you have none of the cards. Is it viable? For FNM sure, but it's not gonna win any tournaments and can't really hang with the established decks. Basically; if it hits, it hits. But, if you can slow it down a little, or remove even a bit of it, everything unravels.

Negator

I built this the other night ran it today against my deck (selesnya midrange) and a few other decks my friends have. I don't think it's that great. Just my 2 cents. If you have any life gain (Centaur Healer, Thragtusk) you can stagnate this deck, hell dropping a Loxodon Smiter turn 2 puts a 4/4 out there that it can't punch trough.

I disagree with the deck needing more green, the only green "requirements" are Flinthoof and Rancor, everything else is doable with red. Even Burning Tree is 2 red, and it will give you a green+red when it drops so you can cast a rancor and Pillar, or drop a flinthoof. As for changes, I've been screwing around with a few options. I definitely feel the Raxdos Cackler is a weak point, IMO Vexing Devil would be preferable. Devil is the same mana, and gives you a 4/3 or they take 4 to the face, either option should be nauseating to your opponent in a deck built this much on speed/damage.

Vexing Devil is an awful standard card, because it does not give you board presence and it never does what you want it to do. If Cackler hits your opponent twice or just once with a Rancor on it, it has gotten much more value than a one mana burn spell.

Cackler can punch through or at least trade with Smiter just fine with help from Rancor or Rampager, which coincidentally, is helped with the extra green mana that I added to the deck.

Sinatar

Yea Vexing Devil is a genuinely awful card. Don't let that one time you had 3 in your opening hand tilt your opinion, it's crap.

alternade

I was talking to friend about this today. How do control decks that have barely any creatures win? I'm trying to make an esper deck and with only 9 bodies and a ton of spells I'm not sure if it can get there?

PsionBolt

I was talking to friend about this today. How do control decks that have barely any creatures win? I'm trying to make an esper deck and with only 9 bodies and a ton of spells I'm not sure if it can get there?

If your control plan goes well, you draw them eventually, and it usually only takes one or two to seal a game when they're cards like Geist of Saint Traft, Restoration Angel, and Angel of Serenity. Plus if you're esper, you'll have Lingering Souls, which is like 16 bodies in only four deck slots.

Okay, I'm up to three Domris now. I wasn't even planning on playing red/green at all. Time to get some of my money back.

I've been overall very disappointed in Orzhov's lack of cards to augment my black/white exalted deck. I was really hoping for a few key cards to drop my way.

Top Bottom