• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yes. Pretty legal also.

Both players need to know the rules, there isn't any enforcement. I usually play with friends over an XBL party.

Yeah, I would just be using it to play with my friends, so there'd be no worries of cheating or anything like that. This thing seems reall cool, I'll prob download it

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My brethren, I have officially been cured of my pack buying obsession. Lo, I walked into the den of inequity that is the card shop, and purchased not of the packs of Gatecrash. Instead, brothers, I purchased singles to round out my decks. Thanks be onto Wizards for creating such a lukewarm constructed set, for their sins have led unto my redemption!

Can I get an amen!

I thought of this as I read your post.

DGCHf.gif

An-Det

My brethren, I have officially been cured of my pack buying obsession. Lo, I walked into the den of inequity that is the card shop, and purchased not of the packs of Gatecrash. Instead, brothers, I purchased singles to round out my decks. Thanks be onto Wizards for creating such a lukewarm constructed set, for their sins have led unto my redemption!

Can I get an amen!

I give it a week tops until your desperate for your fix.

MTGO GAF-Clan, can I get another invite please?

There's a gaf clan?

Wichu

I'm not willing to buy Thragtusks for a competitive deck, but I will blow $32 for...

Aww yeah. Looks like Omnidoor with a different wincon. There was something immensely satisfying about activating Door to Nothingness, though.

WanderingWind

I give it a week tops until your desperate for your fix.

There's a gaf clan?

Yea, unbeliever, though you walk through the valley of the shadow of non-belief, I shall forgive thee thine trespasses three times three and provide you an invite to the GAF clan. Then you shall too get the pleasure of losing to Gatekeeper's omnidoor decks

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aww yeah. Looks like Omnidoor with a different wincon. There was something immensely satisfying about activating Door to Nothingness, though.

Lucario and I laid the groundwork for this combo (Omniscience + ETI + Something) before Omnidoor, but thanks to Twoo's brew, I had enough confidence to drop cash on a variant of my own. Otherwise it would've remained a pipe dream.

OnPoint

Finished opening my GTC box last night. Ended up with some decent higher end stuff. Breeding Pool, Godless Shrine, Stomping Ground are the 3 shocks I got, and other notable rares included Blind Obedience, High Priest, Legion Loyalist and a foil Frontline Medic. Obzedat, Biomancer and Aurela's Fury were the notable mythics. Pulled a Hellkite Tyrant and Giant Adephage too, for what they're worth lol Sadly, I didn't get a Boros Reckoner for my casual burn deck. Oh well. Overall, it was a fun box to draft.

rCIZZLE

Can I get an amen!

Even though the value on a lot of stuff is still up some some of the staples will undoubtedly be valuable, I'm glad I passed on picking up a box. Outside of the shocks there's really nothing with true staying power like Innistrad and Return to Ravnica.

I think buying boxes is only good/warranted if you want the set of commons and a good amount of the uncommons. Purchasing packs for specific rares, in my experiences, is a complete waste of money.

Keep in mind that I can get boxes for $85 and I still think it's a waste to open packs.

Hex

Banned
Finished opening my GTC box last night. Ended up with some decent higher end stuff. Breeding Pool, Godless Shrine, Stomping Ground are the 3 shocks I got, and other notable rares included Blind Obedience, High Priest, Legion Loyalist and a foil Frontline Medic. Obzedat, Biomancer and Aurela's Fury were the notable mythics. Pulled a Hellkite Tyrant and Giant Adephage too, for what they're worth lol Sadly, I didn't get a Boros Reckoner for my casual burn deck. Oh well. Overall, it was a fun box to draft.

Nice haul all and all.
Reckoner is a beast , Fury is great.
I love Biomancer and need them greatly but will wait until the new set glare wears off and can grab them around $3 or $4.

OnPoint

Even though the value on a lot of stuff is still up some some of the staples will undoubtedly be valuable, I'm glad I passed on picking up a box. Outside of the shocks there's really nothing with true staying power like Innistrad and Return to Ravnica.

I still think the Fury is going to be a staple, and an expensive one down the road. It just does too much to not be good.

WanderingWind

I still think the Fury is going to be a staple, and an expensive one down the road. It just does too much to not be good.

I agree. Just like Elesh Norn, Fury hasn't seen play right out the gate, so the price is going down. Which is awesome, because there is literally no way it won't be picked up by a deck sooner or later. Like you said, it does too many awesome things to not be played.

People are still testing things out and adding little things. Hell, Sphinx's Revelation is still dominating play and yet few are really using Skullcrack or Frontline Medic. The meta is like a giant ass ship that takes some time to turn around. But it's going to turn on Fury.

WanderingWind

WanderingWind

I don't think they're going to go up- it's not a 4x card.

We'll see. I think it's a 2 of with Boros Charm a 4x in any deck that wants either. But, I'm very fond of what R/W is doing right now and after rotation it's only going to be stronger, imo.

And Domri Rade actively lost a couple of the games on stream, so yeah, it's a pretty meh PW. It's too heavily dependent on what else is going on.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Does anyone else frequently check prices on SCG/TCGPlayer? It's like an addiction to me...

When did Cryptic Command become $30~? I remember when it was like $15 a year ago.

Hex

Banned
Does anyone else frequently check prices on SCG/TCGPlayer? It's like an addiction to me...

When did Cryptic Command become $30~? I remember when it was like $15 a year ago.

SCG is seriously getting to the point where they blatantly manipulate the market with their pricing.
I generally try to keep track of TCG low as a metric for when I am looking to buy

It's really a supply and demand thing. I will say a lot of legacy staples went up a bunch from them, but this is because of their legacy open series.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
SCG is seriously getting to the point where they blatantly manipulate the market with their pricing.
I generally try to keep track of TCG low as a metric for when I am looking to buy

I hate SCG because one of the local card shops use their prices for their own prices. So much so that if a single is $15, the owner will recheck the price on SCG and actually up the price on the spot if SCG lists it for more. It's pretty ridiculous.

We'll see. I think it's a 2 of with Boros Charm a 4x in any deck that wants either. But, I'm very fond of what R/W is doing right now and after rotation it's only going to be stronger, imo.

And Domri Rade actively lost a couple of the games on stream, so yeah, it's a pretty meh PW. It's too heavily dependent on what else is going on.

This has happened to me as well. Either he's a win-more card, or doesn't do enough on his own. One match against a Simic aggro deck, I used his -2 to try and clear out an untapped Experiment One, only to have my opponent Simic Charm his dude out of range. :mad:

I hate SCG because one of the local card shops use their prices for their own prices. So much so that if a single is $15, the owner will recheck the price on SCG and actually up the price on the spot if SCG lists it for more. It's pretty ridiculous.

A lot of shops do this tbh. If you can't wait to purchase it online that is pretty much the norm.

An-Det

Cryptic Command jumped up because of the Modern PTQ season. At least it's not as bad as how high shit like Bob and Clique have jumped.

I've gotten more into the habit of checking out what my cards are worth whenever I look at a legacy deck and think if I want to build it. I got most of my legacy collection years ago, before they blew up (and actively speculate on up-and-coming options like Energy Fields), so my idea of exactly how much my stuff if worth is far lower than what it actually is.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
A lot of shops do this tbh. If you can't wait to purchase it online that is pretty much the norm.

But to have it listed as a price in the case, go to pay, and then be told "Oh by the way it's $10 more than what I wrote on the card so you're paying that now."? I've had that happen at only one shop.

WanderingWind

Really? I didn't buy it after I was told that, and it actually caused me and a small bunch to stop returning to that store (Also live in PA).

Bait and switch, I suppose.

Lazy bastards probably shouldn't put the stickers on at all and just look up the singles per request.

rCIZZLE

That's how one of the local shops operates and, surprise, nobody buys singles there. The other shop a few miles away, despite looking like a fight club, sells his singles at about 70% of SCG. He buys at 50% so he flips like crazy and makes some pretty good money in the process.

Hex

Banned
This has happened to me as well. Either he's a win-more card, or doesn't do enough on his own. One match against a Simic aggro deck, I used his -2 to try and clear out an untapped Experiment One, only to have my opponent Simic Charm his dude out of range. :mad:

You only fight when you have a reckoner or deathtouch wolf says I.

Hex

Banned

People are putting Rade in decks that he really does not belong in.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
That's how one of the local shops operates and, surprise, nobody buys singles there. The other shop a few miles away, despite looking like a fight club, sells his singles at about 70% of SCG. He buys at 50% so he flips like crazy and makes some pretty good money in the process.

This is how the shop we usually go to operates. We just were trying out a new place that's more convenient for everyone. The two times we went, we had this nonsense happen and said "No way."

Hex

Banned
This is how the shop we usually go to operates. We just were trying out a new place that's more convenient for everyone. The two times we went, we had this nonsense happen and said "No way."

My LGS is smart and does not put prices on cards except bulk commons and uncommons.
Case and binder cards are always checked against TCG Player

WanderingWind

Yes, but see, I am vindicated nonetheless.

But yeah, the samey gray coloring and the WE MUST SHOVE OUR MICKEY DOWN YOUR THROAT makes them not very good.

But, they're moving forward.

kirblar

This isn't SCG at all- this is Modern's emergence as a format.

Same exact thing happened to Legacy once the Opens started being run.

bigkrev

StarCity's prices are strange. All Standard stuff is significantly higher than it is anywhere else, but casual/edh cards are cheaper. The mid price for Venser, Shaper Savant is 17 dollars on TCGplayer (with the low for HP copies being 12), while he is 10 bucks on SCG. If i'm looking for EDH cards I go SCG, if i'm looking for anything else, I go elsewhere.

Protip: If your trading for EDH cards, try to trade by SCG prices!

rCIZZLE

Venser is also sold out on SCG so it's not too accurate right now. That happens a lot on there. If a card is sold out it's likely going to get a price hike when they have more in stock.

kirblar

But it is not just modern cards, though it is a large part.
SCG is a market leader because they're "safe" compared to other vendors- they're large, have incredible customer service, and operate a monopoly on vendor prices at their opens.

The game has had more than a 150% increase in sales over the past 4 years. SCG didn't cause that.

rCIZZLE

Is there any cheap and somewhat competitive standard deck on mtgo that I can put together for around 50 tix? I have some left over from doing a gatecrash prerelease and figure it'd be fun to do some daily events.

Top Bottom