• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The modern Splinter Twin deck is more resilient than the old Standard version because it has better counterspell backup, plus it has 8 untappers (Pestermite in addition to Deceiver Exarch) and it generally runs two Kiki-Jiki as additional Twin effects. I don't think it's oppressive to the point of needing any bans though...

Ya, I don't follow modern too much but I don't hear it mentioned that much or played at major events that splinter twin would be that high on a potential ban that's why I was curious.

rCIZZLE

I like how all box mapping videos/threads all avoid admitting that the reason they use a box mapper is so they can make a profit by selling the garbage packs back on ebay. Ya, I realize this has been going on for years but I just had a pretty long discussion about this recently.

I like how all box mapping videos/threads all avoid admitting that the reason they use a box mapper is so they can make a profit by selling the garbage packs back on ebay. Ya, I realize this has been going on for years but I just had a pretty long discussion about this recently.
I tried this out over the weekend with a few gatecrash boxes. It was like a magic trick and super fun when it worked. Then my friend and I just stared at each other and asked "now what?" Might end up just opening them all anyways.

bigkrev

So, the cost of redemption on MTGO is getting a massive 20 dollar price bump http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/02052013c

I'm going to be real curious how this affects the price of singles IRL. According to the MTGOTraders twitter, there are over 1,000 set redemptions a week, which means an extra 1,000 copies of each mythic rare enters the card pool each week. If that number gets cut in half, we could see prices of cards start to baloon the same way they did in the Lorwyn era when Redemption was disabled (IIRC)

Hex

Banned
Good.
Now card values won't crash when the market gets flooded by redemptions like they have every set for a while now.

So prices of rares/mythics will fall on MTGO? Except the EV of drafts goes down now, so less people are opening packs? I have no idea what this is going to do to either economy...

kirblar

Good.
Now card values won't crash when the market gets flooded by redemptions like they have every set for a while now.
$5 has been way too low for a long time. It looks like the USPS shipping rate increase finally got them to look at this- but it really shouldn't have been $5 for so long.

An-Det

Huh, I had no idea that that many sheets were redeemed per week. Still, I dont expect this will have too much of an effect, maybe down to 2/3 of the current rate at worst, though a small jump in the prices for mythics is possible.

bigkrev

$5 has been way too low for a long time. It looks like the USPS shipping rate increase finally got them to look at this- but it really shouldn't have been $5 for so long.

5 bucks probably was too low. I'd have jumped the price to 10, but 5x the price is a bitter pill.

They charge money for shipping on top of the 5 dollars (When I redeemed a M13 set this summer, I think the shipping was actually more than the Redemption cost), so I don't see that as a justification.

The happy medium is probably eliminating redemption all together, and abandoning the real life price parity on the store. Drop boosters to 99 cents, for example.

I used to always play with non-creature focused decks when I played as a kid. My friend recently got me back into Magic and this time I built a white Myr deck. My friends have literally 10 times the cards as I do, with tons of decks made, and yet I win 90% of games we play. So here is where they think I'm crazy....I wanna take my deck apart and build something non-creature. Creature decks hurt when you lose your big pretty creatures, but with sorcery I'm always having fun even if I lose. Now to decide: what kind of a deck to build? I want one to have fun---winning not required.

Hero

I used to always play with non-creature focused decks when I played as a kid. My friend recently got me back into Magic and this time I built a white Myr deck. My friends have literally 10 times the cards as I do, with tons of decks made, and yet I win 90% of games we play. So here is where they think I'm crazy....I wanna take my deck apart and built something non-creature. Creature decks hurt when you lose your big pretty creatures, but with sorcery I'm always having fun even if I lose. Now to decide: what kind of a deck to build? I want one to have fun---winning not required.

Warp World decks are pretty fun imo.

Lucario

Why should it cost anything at all? It shouldn't really be called redemption if there's such a hefty fee attached to it.

This is a dick move by wotc, who is already making obscene amounts of money on mtgo. $4 digital packs are pretty difficult to tolerate when it's $30+ shipped to turn them into real cards.

OnPoint

Can you guys think of any other creatures besides this guy that have a similar if not identical effect?

Midnight_Guard.jpg

I ended up finding this guy, but any others you can recommend would also be helpful.

So, the cost of redemption on MTGO is getting a massive 20 dollar price bump http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/02052013c

I'm going to be real curious how this affects the price of singles IRL. According to the MTGOTraders twitter, there are over 1,000 set redemptions a week, which means an extra 1,000 copies of each mythic rare enters the card pool each week. If that number gets cut in half, we could see prices of cards start to baloon the same way they did in the Lorwyn era when Redemption was disabled (IIRC)

Should be really interesting how this effects things. Should make MTGO singles cheaper but will probably raise prices in the paper game. It's like they don't want me to start playing again.
Yeah they should drop the price of MTGO boosters to compensate but they won't.

LOL, it would be awesome if it happened but I'm 110% sure it won't
Why should it cost anything at all? It shouldn't really be called redemption if there's such a hefty fee attached to it.

This is a dick move by wotc, who is already making obscene amounts of money on mtgo. $4 digital packs are pretty difficult to tolerate when it's $30+ shipped to turn them into real cards.

Pretty much, they just like money.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably because of the aforementioned "going infinite".

I assume you're doing a on-the-cheap Splinter Twin/Squirrel Nest combo?

OnPoint

Probably because of the aforementioned "going infinite".

I assume you're doing a on-the-cheap Splinter Twin/Squirrel Nest combo?

I wanna use those guys with this one

My worry is something like Surgical Extraction or Slaughter Games removing him, though I guess Living Wish would be insurance against that. I was trying to avoid using red if I could so I didn't really want to include Splinter Twin, but Goblin Bombardment is so, so tempting with this. Concordant Crossroads is probably a decent substitute if I want to go for the swing right away. Waiting for another turn after making 1,500,000 guys would be hell.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

My worry is something like Surgical Extraction or Slaughter Games removing him, though I guess Living Wish would be insurance against that. I was trying to avoid using red if I could so I didn't really want to include Splinter Twin, but Goblin Bombardment is so, so tempting with this. Concordant Crossroads is probably a decent substitute if I want to go for the swing right away. Waiting for another turn after making 1,500,000 guys would be hell.

Village bell ringer may not allow you to go infinite, but it would be close enough to be awesome

OnPoint

Village bell ringer may not allow you to go infinite, but it would be close enough to be awesome

Him and Splinter Twin would be amazing to land. Maybe I should do that and just have Anger in for haste from the graveyard. I can limit down to Red/White and concentrate on two colors that way.

Lucario

Not a creature (and it's blue), but you should consider Intruder Alarm.

EDIT:

Devoted Druid + Coat of Arms is cute, too.

JulianImp

Unless I'm mistaken, Wishes no longer can be used to get cards from exile, since it's now considered a game zone, rather than being some bizarre zone that was out of the game but was also part of it at the same time.

I don't think there're any other creatures that untap wheneven another creature enters the battlefield. Some cards like Leonin Battlemage and Ballynock Trapper untap upon playing spells.

The combo's casual enough that you shouldn't worry about running into hate unless you want to turn it into a serious deck; if that's the case, you'd be better off using the splinter exarch combo for resilency.

There's also a blue enchantment from Scourge called Faces of the Past, which you could combo into with two token generators and a sacrifice outlet. If you go blue, you could also add Horseshoe Crab and Simic Ragworm, with Murkfiend Liege and/or Seedborn Muse as non-infinite alternatives.

I was disappointed when RTR rotated in because I was looking forward to making a cool deck with that MBS ooze that geined the abilies of all creatures in your graveyard. I guess I'll try making a modern deck for it sometime, since I don't have anything for playing the (mostly casual) monthly modern events my LGS organizes.

Negator

Just opened a box.

Aurelia's Fury
Aurelia the Warleader
Prime Speaker Zegana (Foil)
3 Shocks
Boros Reckoner

IS THIS GOOD???

Korgill

I just lost to a dick zombie token deck. It was a casual game so we were playing with decks we just built out of leftover cards. Anyways,

Endless ranks of the dead + army of the damned + flashback = he built an infinite army of tokens before I could stop endless ranks. I had Ghostly possession + guardian of the gateless keeping him from attacking as I waited for a planar cleansing but he managed to kill my guardian right before he attacked with 50 of his over 150 zombies.

kirblar

Just opened a box.

Aurelia's Fury
Aurelia the Warleader
Prime Speaker Zegana (Foil)
3 Shocks
Boros Reckoner

IS THIS GOOD???
Yeah, you opened an S-Tier GTC box. You got lucky.

Shipping rates internationally got super jacked up. There's a real cost to shipping them, and it's a flat $25 fee, right? Them refusing to discriminate based on location is likely the bigger issue.

Lucario

Yeah, you opened an S-Tier GTC box. You got lucky.

Shipping rates internationally got super jacked up. There's a real cost to shipping them, and it's a flat $25 fee, right? Them refusing to discriminate based on location is likely the bigger issue.

so it's $50 to redeem a full set outside of the US?

that's more than a full set of gatecrash will be worth in two years

MedIC86

i got an avr box and a 5 gatecrash boosters, gatecrash gave me aurelia's fury and mind grind, some crap rare's in the others.

AVR box was decent, highlights are Sigarda, Tamiyo, Vexing devil, Silverblade paladin, Entreat the angels, and some other stuff.

Think i was pretty lucky, got quiet a lot of mythics.

i got an avr box and a 5 gatecrash boosters, gatecrash gave me aurelia's fury and mind grind, some crap rare's in the others.

AVR box was decent, highlights are Sigarda, Tamiyo, Vexing devil, Silverblade paladin, Entreat the angels, and some other stuff.

Think i was pretty lucky, got quiet a lot of mythics.

How much did you pay for the AVR box? Has it dropped down from the crazy price it was?

Does anyone here subscribe to star city games content? Did Travis Woo update that ridiculous deck he was playing on his stream a while ago for the article? I know he was going to write an article, I was just curious if he made any changes from that night.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does anyone here subscribe to star city games content? Did Travis Woo update that ridiculous deck he was playing on his stream a while ago for the article? I know he was going to write an article, I was just curious if he made any changes from that night.

Woo writes for Channel Fireball (Woo's Brews).

f0rk

As far as I know he only writes for Channel Fireball

Lucario

I'm getting extremely paranoid with this MTGO money sitting in my Paypal account, to the point that I'm certain paypal will find a reason to freeze my account.

Someone recommend me some solid (blue-chip, no risk) paper mtg investments.

I might just be lazy and pick up the revised duals I'm missing, but there's also stuff I've wanted to pick up for a while (Humility...)
Hm.

bigkrev

I'm getting extremely paranoid with this MTGO money sitting in my Paypal account, to the point that I'm certain paypal will find a reason to freeze my account.

Someone recommend me some solid (blue-chip, no risk) paper mtg investments.

I might just be lazy and pick up the revised duals I'm missing, but there's also stuff I've wanted to pick up for a while (Humility...)
Hm.

Commander Lands that are on the reserved list are about as safe as you can get. Gaea's Cradle, Volrath's Stronghold, and Serra's Sanctum jump to mind, with Cradle probably being the best investment.

And while there is some risk, Legendary Eldrazi might be a good second choice.

Lucario

Commander Lands that are on the reserved list are about as safe as you can get. Gaea's Cradle, Volrath's Stronghold, and Serra's Sanctum jump to mind, with Cradle probably being the best investment.

And while there is some risk, Legendary Eldrazi might be a good second choice.

Legendary Eldrazi are a good call. Already have 5 cradles and plenty of the others (except Stronghold) from buying off collections, and I'd prefer to get stuff I can use.... but I'm gonna pick up at least 1/2 Kozilek now. I don't see them falling.

btw, hex, I'm close to finishing my Atogatog EDH deck with the stuff I bought off you.... so much of it came in handy it's ridiculous ^_^

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've got a box of Gatecrash sitting in front of me. How much disappointment am I in for in the next hour? How much elation?

Tons of dissappointment, very little elation.

Even less elation once word gets out that Aurelia's Fury isn't all that and the price plummets.

I've got a box of Gatecrash sitting in front of me. How much disappointment am I in for in the next hour? How much elation?

Much disappointment, maybe slight elation. There's just not as many "money"/good rares in this set so you most likely won't break even in value for what you paid for the box. Unlike RTR was.

Tons of dissappointment, very little elation.

Even less elation once word gets out that Aurelia's Fury isn't all that and the price plummets.

It still just feels expensive as a card. Especially if it's a deck that can get a lot of creatures out and isn't like the old delver decks that relied on one or two creatures.

Top Bottom