• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Negator

Mono red is relatively cheap if you skip the Thundermaw Hellkite.

Hellriders can get expensive though. Ash Zealot maybe?

My brethren, I have officially been cured of my pack buying obsession. Lo, I walked into the den of inequity that is the card shop, and purchased not of the packs of Gatecrash. Instead, brothers, I purchased singles to round out my decks. Thanks be onto Wizards for creating such a lukewarm constructed set, for their sins have led unto my redemption!

Can I get an amen!

:lol It'll last all of like a week before you fall back off the horse.

Mono red is relatively cheap if you skip the Thundermaw Hellkite.

Hellriders can get expensive though. Ash Zealot maybe?

Damn, Hellrider is almost $12? Shit seems crazy.

Lucario

Lucario and I laid the groundwork for this combo (Omniscience + ETI + Something) before Omnidoor, but thanks to Twoo's brew, I had enough confidence to drop cash on a variant of my own. Otherwise it would've remained a pipe dream.

Let's fuck on a bed of legacy staples.

f0rk

Is Standard degenerating into Naya mirrors? Watching Brad Nelson 8-0 a daily and he played UWR round 1 then crushed R/g round 2-3 and then the mirror in round 4. Hopefully the testing teams come up with something more interesting.

Nice to see some Gatecrash cards actually being played though.

ultron87

Magic thread yay! *reads*

Image.ashx

rTX8VYj.png

1. Sick today - decide to spend 60$ drafting on MTGO
2. Ask Haly what money cards there are in Gatecrash
3. Proceed to draft them all.

I also drafted a foil Aurelia's Fury and foil Watery Grave.

Also that Dinrov Horror card has bailed me out of so many matches it's not even funny.

*I still have 40 tickets left*

Lucario

That's another one that I knew I wanted, but figured he'd stay around 4 or dip. What the hell -- boy was I wrong

I thought he'd jump to 8-10 briefly because of how good he is against aggro and midrange, then plummet to 2 when redemptions went up.

Against control, he's a Trained Armodon. He won't be there forever, it's just shocking to see a card that's only good because of the current standard metagame reach such a high price.

Imagine if Blade Splicer were in the format.

Where is the best place to sell cards in terms of ease of use and and quick turn-around? I've got 3 Domri Rades I'd like to offload so I can use the money to bolster the decks I'm actually interested in playing.

Lucario

Where is the best place to sell cards in terms of ease of use and and quick turn-around? I've got 3 Domri Rades I'd like to offload so I can use the money to bolster the decks I'm actually interested in playing.

ChannelFireball gives good rates and has good customer service, StarCityGames has great customer service, ShuffleAndCut is hit-or-miss on both.

I'd compare rates between the three and see who can give you the most.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener

I use eBay and mail via certified mail. It works out very well for the most part.

y2dvd

Glad I kept my Boros Reckoner. Felt like he was going to go up. 3/3 for 3cc and first strike practically next turn is too solid. It stops Thragtusk and Hellriders from wanting to attack or he can be aggressive if it wanted to. Good enough to usually take out 2 bodies by himself. The return dmg in return is just sweet icing on the cake.

f0rk

Glad I kept my Boros Reckoner. Felt like he was going to go up. 3/3 for 3cc and first strike practically next turn is too solid. It stops Thragtusk and Hellriders from wanting to attack or he can be aggressive if it wanted to. Good enough to usually take out 2 bodies by himself. The return dmg in return is just sweet icing on the cake.

The damage trigger is much more of a big deal than the first strike. It would be blanked by Restoration Angel with it.

Aon

Just joined Magic Online, doing some new player phantom M13 Drafts. Draft an agressive W/G deck, then open a Nicol Bols on my third pack.

Hate pick :D

kirblar

MTGSalvation market forums are a really, really good place to keep tabs on - one of the posters recommended picking them up based on their early playtesting, and so I grabbed a set for myself at 3.50 each.

The Adder

Banned
Messed around with my deck last night. I think it's pretty competent and capable of at least putting up a fight against most challenges.

17 Black
Balustrade Spy x2
Basilica Screecher x 4
Contaminated Ground x4
Shadow Alley Denizen x4
Shadow Slice x3

11 White
Pacifism x4
Safe Passage x4
Sphere of Safety x3

9 Orzhov
High Priest of Penance x3
Kingpin's Pet x2
One Thousand Lashes x 4

23 Land
Plains x8
Swamp x13
Orzhov Guildgate x2

Sideboard
Undercity Plague x2
Destroy the Evidence x4
Vizkopa Confessor x4
Drainpipe Vermin x4
Swamp x1

f0rk

Messed around with my deck last night. I think it's pretty competent and capable of at least putting up a fight against most challenges.

Errr if you took it to FNM I doubt you'd win one game. A lot of the cards don't do anything and I'm not sure how you are supposed to win

rCIZZLE

ChannelFireball gives good rates and has good customer service, StarCityGames has great customer service, ShuffleAndCut is hit-or-miss on both.

I'd compare rates between the three and see who can give you the most.

CF buylist prices seem pretty awesome. They give ~75% store credit for a lot of cards which is more than I ever expected. I'm thinking about just doing this instead of the endless reddit/deckbox trading grind.

My only concern would be how are they about condition of cards? Some of my older stuff have typical nics on them so I'm a little concerned with how much they'd give since they'll have my cards in possession before money/credit is exchanged.

Yeef

I actually pulled a playset of Boros Reckoners between my pre release events and winnings. I knew it was going to be a boss card when it was first revealed.

More like truthers! Wait, that's not what I wanted...

I thought he'd jump to 8-10 briefly because of how good he is against aggro and midrange, then plummet to 2 when redemptions went up.

Against control, he's a Trained Armodon. He won't be there forever, it's just shocking to see a card that's only good because of the current standard metagame reach such a high price.

Imagine if Blade Splicer were in the format.

It's too early in the set too, prices have to settle. Prices are usually absurd a week or two after release.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The real reason Reckoner is so high is that he is about as close as this set has to a chase rare (outside maybe Ghost Dad and for the moment Aurelia's Fury) so all the stores are inflating the prices to compensate for the otherwise garbage set GTC turned out to be.

Yeef

For the record, I think GTC limited is the most fun I've had with the game in a long time. As someone who likes limited more than constructed, I'm loving Gatecrash.

The real reason Reckoner is so high is that he is about as close as this set has to a chase rare (outside maybe Ghost Dad and for the moment Aurelia's Fury) so all the stores are inflating the prices to compensate for the otherwise garbage set GTC turned out to be.

This is true but I'd still be shocked if it doesn't settle lower eventually. I don't think it can hold that value for long, even if less people are opening packs.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
For the record, I think GTC limited is the most fun I've had with the game in a long time. As someone who likes limited more than constructed, I'm loving Gatecrash.

I've had the opposite reaction. I've done about 6 drafts and 3 sealed and this set reminds of me AVR limited in how bad it is.

There were 2 viable options in AVR, R/W humans or U/G stuff. GTC is the same with R/W and B/W being the kings, playing anything else will result in you getting crushed.

kirblar

I've had the opposite reaction. I've done about 6 drafts and 3 sealed and this set reminds of me AVR limited in how bad it is.

There were 2 viable options in AVR, R/W humans or U/G stuff. GTC is the same with R/W and B/W being the kings, playing anything else will result in you getting crushed.
There are good lead developers and not so good ones.

Losing Zac Hill was definitely unfortunate. M13 showed he was one of the good ones.

Yeef

Haven't done any drafting yet, but in sealed (both the prerelease and normal sealed) I've seen plenty of decent simic decks.

Dimir definitely got the short end of the stuck though.

y2dvd

What happen to Zombie decks? I don't see them in any of the results anymore. Pillar of Flamed owned them good?

f0rk

Base red aggro is just better than base black now

I'm not sure I agree with some of Zac Hills constructed philosophies.

rukland

I actually pulled a playset of Boros Reckoners between my pre release events and winnings. I knew it was going to be a boss card when it was first revealed.

Came close to that myself, trade the new Gideion for my last one plus got a Deathrite as well. Best use for the new Gideion I have found so far.

OnPoint

Bought a Fat Pack on a whim last night and ended up pulling a Reckoner finally. Of course, I didn't get much else (even Aetherize, which I've only pulled two of). I got a foil version of that copy-creature Cipher card, which is cool I guess? WanderingWind is right -- the fun of opening packs is gone.

Bought a Fat Pack on a whim last night and ended up pulling a Reckoner finally. Of course, I didn't get much else (even Aetherize, which I've only pulled two of). I got a foil version of that copy-creature Cipher card, which is cool I guess? WanderingWind is right -- the fun of opening packs is gone.

I can see that, there's not a lot of desirable cards so your willingness to crack packs to get luck is probably a lot less.

OnPoint

Yeah, I mean, it could easily reverse with Dragon's Maze and I could end up spending whole paychecks on it, but at this point I doubt it. It seems like WotC is content to offer up sets that are balanced for draft but not great for pack-cracking.

ultron87

I don't think a single set without a lot of chase rares (but still plenty of impactful cards) is some harbinger of Wizards ruining pack cracking forever.

OnPoint

Well no, who said forever? But right now my interest in packs is at a low point, and I didn't think it could get much lower. I ended up buying a few packs of RTR and ended up cracking nothing but Carnival Hellsteeds, Pithing Needles and Counterflux almost every time. Bad luck? Maybe. I can't explain it, but it feels like something in how they put packs out there has changed, and not for the better. It doesn't help that this set is crappy, but I'm not enthused to buy this way. Perhaps I should just start targeting singles.

Packs are really like lottery tickets. Some people like thinking they'll win it big, but most don't. After a while of failing and getting free tickets, the people that have been doing it for a while tend to get bored with it and save their money.

I'm really really interested in how Dragon's Maze will be after this. Maybe a more middle of the road set? RTR was absurd with the money cards, Gatecrash was a bust, so Dragon's Maze will be mediocre?

Top Bottom