• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

y2dvd

Fleecemane Lion?

And I know Scry is cool and all that, but why not Lightning Helix instead of Magma Jet? Same CMC with one extra point of damage plus life gain. Okay, so obviously you value the scry ability more... and I know that scry is good, I just suppose that the aggro in me prefers the damage and the life gain helps with the shocks.

Is Lightning Helix spoiled for Theros? If not, I'm sure he's only using Standard format cards.

Is Lightning Helix spoiled for Theros? If not, I'm sure he's only using Standard format cards.

Whoops, my bad. I was confused and that that it had been reprinted for Standard play. I believe I got it confused with Warleader's Helix.

I don't actually have these cards... I've just seen them. lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think the public's reaction to Theros is going to be interesting. They went from "build the deck you want" to "fuck you play what we give you" and upped the complexity by a factor of 10.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think the public's reaction to Theros is going to be interesting. They went from "build the deck you want" to "fuck you play what we give you" and upped the complexity by a factor of 10.

Everyone I know is pretty hyped, but to be fair no-one's actually built any decks with the stuff yet

rCIZZLE

I'm pretty excited to see the random unspoiled utility cards that don't get much spotlight. Looking to be a fun set with many "build around me" strategies.

WanderingWind

Yeah, Lighting Strike was the card I was most excited to see. I feel the true power in this set, maybe not the overall block, will be in the commons and uncommons.

The conscious choices to go from flashy mechanics like Morbid and the Guild flavor mechanics to a decidedly less exciting scry will be interesting to see in action. People around where I'm at aren't really excited for the set, they're mostly dreading it because of rotation - though I imagine that's just how these things go.

Yeah, Lighting Strike was the card I was most excited to see. I feel the true power in this set, maybe not the overall block, will be in the commons and uncommons.

The conscious choices to go from flashy mechanics like Morbid and the Guild flavor mechanics to a decidedly less exciting scry will be interesting to see in action. People around where I'm at aren't really excited for the set, they're mostly dreading it because of rotation - though I imagine that's just how these things go.

Last night at my local FNM the feeling was positive for the new set, and even for the new dual lands.
I don't share the same feeling... lol

rCIZZLE
image.php

You have PM, sir!

y2dvd

Yeah, everyone here is pretty excited. I'm just excited by any new set. As long as limited is fairly balanced, I'm happy. Hell, a lot of people was disappointed with M14 but I thought it was a lot of fun in limited. I will miss the tribes from drafting Innistrad but onward we go.

Still plenty of spoilers to go but so far red is looking the strongest in limited. Magma Jet, Lightgning Strike, and Ordeal of Purphoros for removals, some 2/3 midrange creatures, some good late bomb creatures, and can splash well with green for Destructive Relvery which may be main board able. The rares in red are probably the best of the bunch on top.

WanderingWind

Isn't that usually the case with rotation?

Maybe on the first, but this is definitely the most complex set since I've come back, by far.

And holy hell it took me all morning to find a set of Hallowed Fountains on MTGO. Buy them now boys, if you haven't already.

Still need a verdammint Sphinx

The Technomancer

Maybe on the first, but this is definitely the most complex set since I've come back, by far.

And holy hell it took me all morning to find a set of Hallowed Fountains on MTGO. Buy them now boys, if you haven't already.

Still need a verdammint Sphinx

That's probably true. RTR block had a lot more mechanics but it seems like Theros has quite a bit more actual complexity. Just the way people handle Bestow is going to be interesting.

Also, this just occurred to me: Devotion is kind of like reverse affinity in that its also "get a good effect for cheap based on how much of a resource you have". Especially on the Gods, where you pay the cheap cost up front and then have to build resources to get the great body, as opposed to building the resources to then get the cheap cost. It puts a nice lower bound on just how broken it can get from a resource management perspective.

I went against one of those... "guild gate" decks in MTGO just now. So frustrating for my aggro. It was a deck where he basically prevented all damage, returned creatures to my hand, cast supreme verdict and did different life gain strategies - all while trying to assemble all of the gates. It was just so long and so boring.

I did end up winning though, thankfully I had Skullcrack in my sideboard! No more damage prevention for you, sucka. ;)

f0rk

Cool. Although that would stress me out as I find making those split decisions very hard and it's a lot easier to do the other way around. Does that make it worse as you can't guarantee the card you really need (like a Supreme Verdict for example)? The mind games are intense though as they don't know what you have in hand.

Crocodile

The more I see of the set and talk to other people about it, the more I'm convinced that Bestow is going to be a rules nightmare. I expect many proverbial flipped tables come Pre-Release weekend.

As for Steam Augury, its definitely worse than Fact or Fiction but it isn't THAT much worse right? A card that is 70-80% as good as Fact or Fiction still has to be bonkers right?

kirblar

The more I see of the set and talk to other people about it, the more I'm convinced that Bestow is going to be a rules nightmare. I expect many proverbial flipped tables come Pre-Release weekend.

As for Steam Augury, its definitely worse than Fact or Fiction but it isn't THAT much worse right? A card that is 70-80% as good as Fact or Fiction still has to be bonkers right?
The rules text is a failure.

AND WAIT WHAT.

THIS IS STILL NUTS

The Technomancer

I'm thinking of building a casual deck with these hand and library theft threats, just so I can say "You may be able to fight me...but how will you confront...yourself?"

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm thinking of building a casual deck with these hand and library theft threats, just so I can say "You may be able to fight me...but how will you confront...yourself?"

I thought about doing something similar with a clone deck. Just throw in every clone creature and annoy the shit out of my opponents by copying every thing they put out. Definitely wouldn't be remotely competitive, and I'm sure it would get boring very quickly, but I thought it might be amusing for a few games.

I thought about doing something similar with a clone deck. Just throw in every clone creature and annoy the shit out of my opponents by copying every thing they put out. Definitely wouldn't be remotely competitive, and I'm sure it would get boring very quickly, but I thought it might be amusing for a few games.

It's a really fun casual strategy. My favorite EDH deck (I have about 40) is a clone deck. I probably wouldn't play that stuff at anything sanctioned, but it's a blast against the right opponents in the right environment.

bigkrev

Well, spent the day at SCG philly chaining 3 drafts together for 10 dollars total

3-0 with the best Boros deck i've ever drafted in RTR (3 Firstblade, 3 Annihilating Fire, ect)
3-0 with a sick U/G deck with 2 Enlarge and 5 Scroll Theif
3-0 G/B beats with 2 Doom Blades

Had to take the packs after the 3rd draft cause they were cutting off drafts for the rest of the day.

Also did a ton of trading- finally got a Doubling Season, and got the first 2 Jaces I need for new standard

WanderingWind

Well, spent the day at SCG philly chaining 3 drafts together for 10 dollars total

3-0 with the best Boros deck i've ever drafted in RTR (3 Firstblade, 3 Annihilating Fire, ect)

Had to take the packs after the 3rd draft cause they were cutting off drafts for the rest of the day.

Also did a ton of trading- finally got a Doubling Season, and got the first 2 Jaces I need for new standard

Well, if you want a couple more Doubling Seasons, I need tix for Jace, Sphinx's Rev and some other knickknacks on the MTGO.

:p

Do we know the full Theros block release schedule?
Like the months that the other two releases are expected, and then when the next rotation is expected?
I'm sure that you veterans know how long this 'should' last, but perhaps it's just up to when WotC announces things?

y2dvd

Damn went on a tear. I love scroll thief in limited.

Yeef

Like the months that the other two releases are expected, and then when the next rotation is expected?
I'm sure that you veterans know how long this 'should' last, but perhaps it's just up to when WotC announces things?
Born of the Gods releases February 7. Journey into Nyx releases May 2.

Core sets typically release mid-July.

The Technomancer

Sometimes I'm staggered a bit by the fact that this is a game that releases four expansions every year adding like 1000 new cards to the game. Is there another hobby game that operates on anywhere near the same scale? I don't even know what Yu-Gi-Oh looks like these days

Lucario

The whole "Level Up: Win the Game" mechanic makes mass removal a LOT less effective.

and the haste dragon punishes planeswalkers a little too much

but I still wanna try grixis with ral, jace, and ashiok. Seems really good now.

"Big Boros" remains our best testing deck.

kirblar

and the haste dragon punishes planeswalkers a little too much

but I still wanna try grixis with ral, jace, and ashiok. Seems really good now.

"Big Boros" remains our best testing deck.
Ral seems really bad outside of an aggro shell.

Dragon as ridiculous as we think?

Lucario

Ral seems really bad outside of an aggro shell.

Dragon as ridiculous as we think?

Dragon is exactly as ridiculous as we think he is. He's up to a 4-of in both naya and boros.

Ral... I'll have to see with testing, I guess. I like him a lot in a list where he can get the protection he needs, because he's basically an overcosted bolt that leaves behind a mediocre planeswalker.

Grixis control w/ tons of 1-for-1 removal spells could really use that extra method of getting card advantage. I wouldn't feel awful if he just got dunked by a dragon the next turn.

So here's a dumb fake format:

Build Your Own PreCon: 60 cards, whichever format's sets you like.

1 Mythic
4 Rares (no multiples of any one card)
12 Uncommons (no more than 2x each)
43 Common/Basics (however many)

No one is going to try it anyway, but is this something that could possibly be fun and/or balanced? The idea came up while thinking about how EDH (while great in its own way) never rekindled that kitchen table feeling of drawing and casting the best card in my meager collection. I'm a white player (and sucker, apparently), so would probably jam Sun Titan and Replenish into some kind of monstrosity for a Legacy deck. Probably Blood Baron in standard. What would you guys play?

Lucario

why the fuck does rescue from the underworld seem to remember cards that change zones?

I have no idea what happens when I cast it with Planar Void out. Am I missing something obvious here?

I assume it just... comes back from exile, as it only specifies "the sacrificed card".

14.8b An object that looks for a "[spell or ability] that targets [something]" checks the current state of that spell or ability's targets. If an object it targets is still in the zone it's expected to be in or a player it targets is still in the game, that target's current information is used, even if it's not currently legal for that spell or ability. If an object it targets is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in or a player it targets is no longer in the game, that target is ignored; its last known information is not used.

400.7, "An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence."

It never moves from the graveyard to the exile zone.

EDIT: WHEEL OF SUN AND FUCKING MOON

AHAHAHAHA WHAT

Nikodemos

Steam Augury is pretty good for some mindfucky games with your opponent. Whether it will actually see play in some Red/Blue Tempo deck (which is pretty much the only deck that could run it) is another matter entirely.

y2dvd

Combo idea:

Immortal Servitude (and a deck filled with 2-cost creatures)

+

The Red God

=

Something?

Would be pretty difficult to cast. 3 of either W or B required in a deck where you'd probably wanna run lots of red. I mean, I'd guess you'd cast this late anyways and may have the mana to cast it then but I think Immortal Servitude would be dead in your hand in most occasion.

I likeStormbreath Dragon because Supreme Verdict doesn't work on him.
Well, Supreme Verdict never "works" on haste creatures, but you'd just do it next turn if you can survive it.

Top Bottom