• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

y2dvd

5cmc should be easy for green. That satyr will see a Bestow cost often. Has there ever been a flash aura spell?

Hero's downfall is nice. Players better makes sure they make use of their PW's priority, or they are eating downfall to the face!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
5cmc should be easy for green. That satyr will see a Bestow cost often. Has there ever been a flash aura spell?

Hero's downfall is nice. Players better makes sure they make use of their PW's priority, or they are eating downfall to the face!

All 3cmc planeswalkers not named Liliana just got worse.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
//Artifact (2)
2 Fireshrieker

//Creature (31)
4 Borderland Ranger
1 Champion of Lambholt
3 Deadbridge Goliath
2 Elderscale Wurm
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Predator Ooze
4 Strangleroot Geist
2 Thragtusk
2 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Wild Beastmaster
3 Wolfir Avenger
2 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Yeva, Nature's Herald

//Enchantment (3)
3 Rancor

//Instant (3)
3 Ranger's Guile

//Planeswalker (2)
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter

//Land (22)
21 Forest
1 Rogue's Passage

I'd love some feedback on the current Mono-Green deck I'm putting together. It's currently sitting at 63 cards, so it needs to be slimmed down a bit, and I'm also thinking it needs to be streamlined. I have a (roughly) $50 budget, and not considering Theros cards until I know what they're price will be, and will be playing in a casual environment.

Thanks!

bigkrev

cd0874a1c59dfb9caecbc86907d9e739_zps6854786b.jpg

/dead

OnPoint

Answer- yes, they're additional. You're actually been able to effectively "steal" your opponents' turns in the extra ones by casting cards like Time Warp, since you can push theirs out of the "5 addtional" range.

I really want to think the tweet was a joke

kirblar

Here's a Q. Ignoring the new card in question completely: What happens if you use an ability to gain an extra turn during the five bonus turns to close a game out? You get it, right?
The 5 turns aren't attached to a specific player. Say, on turn 0, you ultimate Ral and win all 5 flips. You get all 5 additional turns.

OnPoint

The 5 turns aren't attached to a specific player. Say, on turn 0, you ultimate Ral and win all 5 flips. You get all 5 additional turns.

What.

So if we're in turns, and I'm turn 1 of 5. I play Temporal Mastery, taking an extra turn. I'm then turn 2 of 5 as well? Meaning my opponent then gets 3 and 5?

I know it's for time. And that a game has to end sometime. But that just seems wrong.

What.

So if we're in turns, and I'm turn 1 of 5. I play Temporal Mastery, taking an extra turn. I'm then turn 2 of 5 as well? Meaning my opponent then gets 3 and 5?

I know it's for time. And that a game has to end sometime. But that just seems wrong.

Matches going to time rarely end fairly.

Zocano

I'm confused. Does having planeswalkers as a target really make Hero's Downfall such a huge leap better? Murder with a slight extra target and murder didn't see a whole lot of play because it wasn't as fast. So why this card? I don't really get the hype it's getting, as much as I like more removal, it's at rare and just seems like a murder to me.

OnPoint

I'm confused. Does having planeswalkers as a target really make Hero's Downfall such a huge leap better? Murder with a slight extra target and murder didn't see a whole lot of play because it wasn't as fast. So why this card? I don't really get the hype it's getting, as much as I like more removal, it's at rare and just seems like a murder to me.

Restrictionless creature kill with an ability to kill a whole other highly powerful type of permanent, also without restriction.

Plus it's instant speed, which its like-minded friend Dreadbore is not.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey wow, an actually good Bestow card.

zoukka

Nah, it's 8 mana Wrath that leaves behind a 7/9 Deathtouch that dodges Doom Blade.

It's playable

In which deck is it playable? How does it help you stop an aggro deck for which wrath effects are good against? You drop it turn 6 and it does nothing. On your next turn it still does absolutely nothing.

A 4/6 deathtoucher that is immune to doom blade, useless...

Also if turn 6 then aggro has lost typically. They start to run out of steam. Unless you speaking midrange which it stops a lot of there threats outside of a couple flyers. You play it after stabilized as your win condition and in case they spit out some minor army later, then you blow them up with an instant speed wrath that turns it into a 7/9.

Also how many wraths are instant speed again?

Lucario

so yeah uh burger king is a card

i thought he cost 1BR, not BR. that is insanely powerful.

B/R aggro just went 6-0 against the grixis control list above using him and chandra's phoenix as card advantage engines

OnPoint

so yeah uh burger king is a card

i thought he cost 1BR, not BR. that is insanely powerful.

B/R aggro just went 6-0 against the grixis control list above using him and chandra's phoenix as card advantage engines

Can you please elaborate on what he does well?

Lucario

Can you please elaborate on what he does well?

opponent at 8-10, you're in a board stall?

have it your way.

chandra's phoenix in 'yard, burn in hand/chandra in play, need to refill your hand?

have it your way.

need an early game beater?

have it your way.

opponent uses removal on a creature while you have mana open?

have it your way.

this deck was an accidental discovery while trying to make aggro un-bad.

Lucario

Boros Midrange (red focus) is still like 50% against everything, where every other deck has a weakness.

Esper Control was taken apart. It couldn't break 30% against Naya, and when control can't even beat midrange there are some problems. Sphinx's Revelation is still likely good in the upcoming format, I'm just not convinced that's the right deck for it.

Grixis Control needs a revamped sideboard so it can be capable of beating rakdos sac aggro. I'm this close to running Crypt Incursion in there.

Boros Midrange -- the one with a white focus -- was horrible against esper, but beats every midrange list imaginable. I'm tempted to reassemble it to see how bad it hates on aggro.

Naya Midrange is the format's "unfair" deck, I think. White boros midrange and grixis control are the only truly bad matchups, it's 50% against red boros, crushes esper control, crushes rakdos aggro, etc. Super soft against anything running banisher priest though! Also it costs like three million dollars to build, so enjoy.

Rakdos is smarter than your average post-rotation aggro list. 100% against control (so far), it only needs more consistency against midrange to be a fantastic choice. Cerberus would probably help blow this open, but I can't exactly take out Stormbreath Dragon.

I still like boros most, if only because its success depends on how well I pilot it instead of my matchups, but a case can be made for Grixis, Naya, or Rakdos.

EDIT:

HWHAT

spearofheliod.jpg

JulianImp

Yo, damn.

Anthem on fucking drugs.

Seems okay, but not good enough at what it's supposed to do, mostly since the legendary supertype means you won't be able to play several of these at once, but also because artifact/enchantment type combination means it's somewhat easier to remove. However, that No Mercy ability perfectly fits what I'd expect a white-based god to do.

So far I'm still pondering whether I should get the fixed Fact or Fiction. It enables some crazy mindgames, yeah, but the prospect of not getting a sweeper when you need it most makes it kind of risky. FoF was ridiculous because if you needed a specific card, you'd always end up getting it, but here it's considerably harder to get what you want unless you pull some sick jedi mind tricks on your opponent.

y2dvd

You'd probably run two of Spear of Heliod max anyways, so I don't mind it being legendary. "deal damage to you" mean damage to the player and not any damage dealt by say a blocking creature after damage is dealt correct? Guess that would've been too good if it was the latter. 2 W to add to devotion which is nice. I wants!

Hythonia the Cruel might have some juice with Korozda Gorgons, getting an extra board wipe in your favor would be nice.

Grixis Control needs a revamped sideboard so it can be capable of beating rakdos sac aggro. I'm this close to running Crypt Incursion in there.
I really, really love crypt incursion.

Lucario

CLUNKY AWESOME SHIT
THE SET
NOW WITH 109480129840 STANDARD PLAYABLES AND -1 LEGACY PLAYABLES!

one of my favorite sets ever. Only super-pushed card is Stormbreath, and he's a dragon, and I like dragons so idfc if he hits $40

B/U/G seems like another candidate for control now

with all these awesome creatures, I'm starting to think I can't get away with 1-3 aetherlings as the only way to go aggressive

Hey guys, I am planning on going to my first Friday night magic this week. Thing is, I haven't played magic in 14 years. I remember some of the basics and I watched the wizards of the coast videos to refresh my understanding of the concepts. Anything you guys would recommend I do before Friday?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey guys, I am planning on going to my first Friday night magic this week. Thing is, I haven't played magic in 14 years. I remember some of the basics and I watched the wizards of the coast videos to refresh my understanding of the concepts. Anything you guys would recommend I do before Friday?

Are they doing a draft event, or do you have a deck you were planning to play?

f0rk

Try the Magic 2014 game on 360/PS3/PC

JulianImp

You could try watching some video streams of people playing, for starters.

Also, here's a list of things I think you should keep in mind regarding changes to the game and tournament rules:
  • Damage no longer goes "onto the stack", so there's no longer a window of opportunity for players to kill/bounce/sacrifice a creature mid-combat and still have it assign combat damage (good ol' Mogg Fanatic isn't what it used to be anymore...)
  • Whenever you attack, if your opponent controls any planeswalkers, you have to say which creatures are attacking the player and which are attacking any planeswalkers they control
  • When you'd deal damage to a player who controls any planeswalkers (say, with a Shock), you may choose to deal the damage to one of that player's planeswalkers instead. That means that, to damage a PW with a spell or ability, you'll have to target the player (if possible) and then choose to redirect the damage as it's being dealt (you don't have to say you're going to do so until the spell resolves)
  • There's no mana burn anymore, so if you have leftover mana between phases you won't be taking damage from it, but it'll still go away
  • You can now use less than fifteen cards for your sideboard, and you can add cards from your SB without removing the same number from the deck (ie: you can add all fifteen cards without removing a single one from your deck), as long as your deck still has over sixty cards post-sideboard
  • Whenever a player misses a non-optional triggered ability, their opponent isn't required to remind them; if anyone notices within the span of a single turn, the ability might be triggered and put onto the stack at that time. The full explanation's a bit longer than this, so you'd do well to ask a judge if a situation such as this comes up while you're playing
  • Blocking has been simplified. Now, if your opponent blocks one of your creatures with multiple ones, you choose the order in which you want to damage them. Then, the creature automatically deals damage to each of them, and any overflowing damage from a creature goes on to the next one (all at the same time)
  • An exception to what I've said above is a creature with the deathtouch ability. Since any damage they deal is enough to destroy a creature, they can deal a single point of damage to each blocker to consider it enough (it doesn't matter if the creature is indestructible)
  • Enchant <something> (creature, land, whatever) cards now have their own subtype (Aura), and say what they can enchant in their rules text. Otehr than that, they still work the same way they used to

That's all I can remember for now, but I hope you find it useful.

I pulled a Scavenging Ooze from an M14 Booster, and now my buddy wants to trade me a Deathrite Shaman for it.

Do I do it? I am trying to build a GW deck with Sigarda so the Scavenging Ooze holds more relevance. DRS is a sweet card too, and I could always go GB instead, or maybe GWB...

Thanks,

Lucario

I pulled a Scavenging Ooze from an M14 Booster, and now my buddy wants to trade me a Deathrite Shaman for it.

Do I do it? I am trying to build a GW deck with Sigarda so the Scavenging Ooze holds more relevance. DRS is a sweet card too, and I could always go GB instead, or maybe GWB...

Thanks,

Deathrite Shaman is the better card if you have fetchlands. It probably has a $20-30 price ceiling, and will climb faster than Ooze.
Ooze is a better card if you do not have fetchlands. It has a similar price ceiling.

rCIZZLE

Impulse bought a set of Jace, AoT for ~45 after shipping from SCG. He seems to finally be on the move so I recommend everyone else that wants him and doesn't have a playset makes sure they secure it soon.

kirblar

Impulse bought a set of Jace, AoT for ~45 after shipping from SCG. He seems to finally be on the move so I recommend everyone else that wants him and doesn't have a playset makes sure they secure it soon.
Wow, he's still that low? Good call.

Firemind

Boros Midrange (red focus) is still like 50% against everything, where every other deck has a weakness.

Esper Control was taken apart. It couldn't break 30% against Naya, and when control can't even beat midrange there are some problems. Sphinx's Revelation is still likely good in the upcoming format, I'm just not convinced that's the right deck for it.

Boros Midrange -- the one with a white focus -- was horrible against esper, but beats every midrange list imaginable. I'm tempted to reassemble it to see how bad it hates on aggro.

Naya Midrange is the format's "unfair" deck, I think. White boros midrange and grixis control are the only truly bad matchups, it's 50% against red boros, crushes esper control, crushes rakdos aggro, etc. Super soft against anything running banisher priest though! Also it costs like three million dollars to build, so enjoy.

Rakdos is smarter than your average post-rotation aggro list. 100% against control (so far), it only needs more consistency against midrange to be a fantastic choice. Cerberus would probably help blow this open, but I can't exactly take out Stormbreath Dragon.

I still like boros most, if only because its success depends on how well I pilot it instead of my matchups, but a case can be made for Grixis, Naya, or Rakdos.

What about U/R tokens?

Lucario

What about U/R tokens?

not enough cards, scoops to "magma jet your young pyromancer at EOT"

if you can build a list you think will be successful, I'll print it out and go for it because the idea sounds fun... but I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing token decks outside of FNM.

Top Bottom