• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
attachment.php

Not sure if it's competitively costed but fun idea. I wonder if it not being legendary is deliberate, seems like it would be pretty ridiculous in EDH.

Awesome card.

Makes me wish Teferi was back. God I loved that card. This is pretty neat in its own way though.

bigkrev

I know I said it last night, but we are getting the lands tonight for sure. Sam's column is tonight, and he was the one who announced we were getting a new cycle.

BELIEVE

Lucario

They don't have individually distinct names, which is why I think they're not rare. If that's the case, M15 might have a land cycle.

Do we know the names?

The guy on mtgsalvation claming they're scrylands is pretty much confirmed as a faker, btw. He claimed to be holding them in his hands and have them 'hot off the presses', when the actual printing happened months ago.

He also joined last week and has like four posts.

(I kinda hope they are scrylands, but with a twist. Powerful CIPT lands would make this format really strange.)

kirblar

Do we know the names?

The guy on mtgsalvation claming they're scrylands is pretty much confirmed as a faker, btw. He claimed to be holding them in his hands and have them 'hot off the presses', when the actual printing happened months ago.

He also joined last week and has like four posts.

(I kinda hope they are scrylands, but with a twist. Powerful CIPT lands would make this format really strange.)
Temple of A/B/C/D/E. That's why I don't think they're rare, cause they'd pick real names for reprintable rares.

Exokell

Banned
These lands are horrible!

Edit: scry fucking 1? these should be uncommon, not fucking rare. Well once RTR rotates out. Standard will be super slow.

HEY WIZARDS! YOU FUCKERS! GIVE US FETCH LANDS ALREADY!

Lucario

*satifisfied nod gif*

I'm okay with those. As a control player, of course.

The best control archtype (U/W) and (arguably) the best multicolored aggro archtypes (R/B and G/W) aren't represented, so this is weird.

I have no idea how to feel about what this will do to the format, as black-heavy esper doesn't seem too viable, but meh. Time will tell. Will be playing with Azorius Guildgate as a 2-3 of in the meantime.

Exokell

Banned
*satifisfied nod gif*

I'm okay with those. As a control player, of course.
lol youre gonna play 3 to 5 of these, you dont want sets of these when you want to cast supreme or some shit when you need it.

Edit: these shit will be 5th or 6th pick. Will be dollar less on mtgo.

Yeef

Disappointed that they're rare. New Benalia and Halimar Depths say they could've worked fine at uncommon.

Other than that though, I don't think they've terrible, but they're not great either.

ultron87

The best control archtype (U/W) and (arguably) the best multicolored aggro archtypes (R/B and G/W) aren't represented, so this is weird.

I have no idea how to feel about what this will do to the format, as black-heavy esper doesn't seem too viable, but meh. Time will tell. Will be playing with Azorius Guildgate as a 2-3 of in the meantime.

That is a good point of course. The specific color combos present in Theros will make for some interesting decisions with decks, since while these are certainly useful for improving the quality of your draws, you still want to play the colors with the best cards for your plan. And of course since these are the Gatecrash pairs and RtR generally had more big spells for Constructed we're missing out on them if we decide to play these pairs instead.

But I'm cool with these being the cycle for awhile. Helpful over Guildgates, but certainly not Christmasland manabases. Uncommon would've been nice, but rare duals sell more boosters.

I assume we'll get the other five next set. It'd be weird to leave two colors pairs randomly hanging till the 3rd set.

Lucario

That is a good point of course. The specific color combos present in Theros will make for some interesting decisions with decks, since while these are certainly useful for improving the quality of your draws, you still want to play the colors with the best cards for your plan. And of course since these are the Gatecrash pairs and RtR generally had more big spells for Constructed we're missing out on them if we decide to play these pairs instead.

But I'm cool with these being the cycle for awhile. Helpful over Guildgates, but certainly not Christmasland manabases. Uncommon would've been nice, but rare duals sell more boosters.

I'd muuuuch prefer they give us the whole cycle at once.

"Hey guys! Imma give you exciting R/B stuff, then not give you a manabase. Enjoy!"

OnPoint

I assume we'll get the other five next set. It'd be weird to leave two colors pairs randomly hanging till the 3rd set.

These are just going to upset me when I pull them at rare.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nice cost to p/t ratio, protects itself, has a nice passive ability and can trade up when necessary.

Nice little card, art is awful though.

Scrylands at rare is a fucking joke though, ETB tapped with a small upside is supposed to be bloody uncommon.

Image.ashx

bigkrev

While at first I was disappointed, I then went to Twitter and guys like LSV and PV are saying they love them. I'm going to wait and see on these

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If LSV and PV tweeted themselves jumping off a bridge, would you also consider it.
So... Is Magic 2013 a decent-ish way to get into this?

The Steam game? Yes. It'll familiarize you with all the basics without costing you much at all.

If LSV and PV tweeted themselves jumping off a bridge, would you also consider it.

The Steam game? Yes. It'll familiarize you with all the basics without costing you much at all.

Xbox 360 version. Microsoft is giving it away for free this month to Gold members.

ultron87

Temple of Abandon is a massive screw up by the art team.

That is not what Abandon means as a noun.
I'm guessing there currently isn't a red/green God, hence the empty chair. There are at least Satyrs in the art, who traditionally act with abandon.

Good thing there is a Satyr Planeswalker in town ready to step up and be the Block villain as he tries to become a god.

Top Bottom