• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

The fact that they are now only printing duals as all 10 pairings makes me think we aren't seeing Fetchlands ever again. I don't think they want to put th other 5 in Modern.

Zocano

I was talking with my friends about Ashiok (none of us are really excited about him and one of them really really hates the card) but we stumbled across something neat that I wanted to mention.

What if Ashiok was able to steal any card out of exile? Like his -X could cast a card from exile and make it yours (edit: not just ones he has exiled but *all* cards exiled). He'd be able to grab things like Obzedat and Aetherling. I know this could potentially make him *too* much of a counter to those cards, but I thought it would be a cool idea. Has a card done this before?

OnPoint

I was talking with my friends about Ashiok (none of us are really excited about him and one of them really really hates the card) but we stumbled across something neat that I wanted to mention.

What if Ashiok was able to steal any card out of exile? Like his -X could cast a card from exile and make it yours (edit: not just ones he has exiled but *all* cards exiled). He'd be able to grab things like Obzedat and Aetherling. I know this could potentially make him *too* much of a counter to those cards, but I thought it would be a cool idea. Has a card done this before?

Says it has to be exiled by Ashiok. Though you're just supposing if he could? Yeah, that would be awesome.

Zocano

Well, yah, but I'm saying what if he could grab any card in exile.

I know this would throw a wrench in a lot of cards that exile (simple example is grabbing a card that gets exiled by Oblivion Ring or something), but it could steal your opponents Aetherling or something like that.

edit: I'm probably sounding really dumb but I'm just postulating crazy mechanics because it amuses me. Also I'll be trying to make Ashiok work one way or another.

Yeef

The fact that they are now only printing duals as all 10 pairings makes me think we aren't seeing Fetchlands ever again. I don't think they want to put th other 5 in Modern.
I think the opposite is true. I think they want the allied fetches in Modern as soon as possible. I expect M15 or, more likely, the block following it to have them.

Lucario

mm, scrylands aren't that bad, but it's really difficult to go to value town with domri.

is bad enough that naya domri midrange is losing to boros midrange a disturbing percentage of the time cos of SB banisher priest

like 90

nykthos is THE. NUT. using it to enable mortars and stuff is

ohmygod

kirblar

I think the opposite is true. I think they want the allied fetches in Modern as soon as possible. I expect M15 or, more likely, the block following it to have them.
The scrylands are so horribly boring and underpowered for duals that it has to be happening. (I had pegged M15 when we saw the shocklands in RTR.)

OnPoint

I just don't think they want to burn 10 rare slots in a core set, even if Landfall is the returning mechanic
It would be pretty crazy. And the shocks would be legal with them for like 3 months. Might actually be a good gateway into Modern, getting people used to them together in standard

Crocodile

The scrylands are so horribly boring and underpowered for duals that it has to be happening. (I had pegged M15 when we saw the shocklands in RTR.)

This line only makes sense if you think R&D actually thinks the Scry lands suck and wanted to swing low to better sell a later product. However we know from the preview article that R&D was concerned that the Scry lands may be too good. So.....

kirblar

This line only makes sense if you think R&D actually thinks the Scry lands suck and wanted to swing low to better sell a later product. However we know from the preview article that R&D was concerned that the Scry lands may be too good. So.....
This is actually midrange: the set, so they're much better in that context. Aggro is totally not a thing.

kirblar

should I be calling my fast midrange decks 'aggro'?

cos that's how the matchups are playing out. it's p. sad.
It really feels like they saw RTR block and didn't even want to bother - hence guys like NeoWatchWolf.

Also, Azorius Charm + Ashiok is possibly the funniest thing ever now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Does every block set have rare dual lands in it?

Do it. You're not going to lose much if it drops, but the card is good.

Good point. Worst case scenario I'm out $4 since I'd be extremely surprised if this guy doesn't see some kind of play, even if I have to wait for a format change (same thing seems to be happening to my Ash Zealots right now).

y2dvd

Listening to the latest scg vs series, something that caught me is that you can Essence Scatter Gods because even without devotion setting off Gods as creature, they actually still come in as a creature as it's on the stack. This is really good to know.

kirblar

Listening to the latest scg vs series, something that caught me is that you can Essence Scatter Gods because even without devotion setting off Gods as creature, they actually still come in as a creature as it's on the stack. This is really good to know.
Counterspells are so, so much better right now.

Nikodemos

On the other hand, you can't Essence Scatter Bestow creatures, since they're Auras until they hit the field.

On the other hand, you can't Essence Scatter Bestow creatures, since they're Auras until they hit the field.

Is that only if you pay the Bestow cost, or in general?

EDIT: After re-reading the reminder text for Bestow, it looks like it does enter the stack as an Aura if you pay the Bestow cost. Interesting.

rCIZZLE

After having like 10 people in a row on deckbox offer me for the one extra marsh flats I have for trade, I'm finally taking it off my tradelist. It wouldn't even be bad if they had stuff worth trading for or if that was the only valuable card I have for trade. I'm starting to think people don't even know why they need fetches, just that they need all of them immediately. Same happens in real life but to a lesser extent since people can't just skip past 99% of my binder.

Lucario

I feel like the format is just mono color/mono color splash another color big aggro vs control

and that color is always red

and control can run 4 fiendslayer paladin

ffs wizards

our favorite deck so far is big boros, though. Upkeep Aurelia's Fury to dodge sorcery speed removal is rage-inducing, and the creatures are pretty hate-y.

The best control archtype (U/W) and (arguably) the best multicolored aggro archtypes (R/B and G/W) aren't represented, so this is weird.

I have no idea how to feel about what this will do to the format, as black-heavy esper doesn't seem too viable, but meh. Time will tell. Will be playing with Azorius Guildgate as a 2-3 of in the meantime.

It's like they wanted to slow down aggro. Booooooo

And they wanted diversity...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
10 more years of mango sentinel grindy midrange.

Lucario

early (paper) playtest videos tonight/tomorrow
people who PMed me about testing: working on a way to stream without cockatrice, will be ready kinda soon.

if there's a matchup you want to see, let me know soon

kirblar

early (paper) playtest videos tonight/tomorrow
people who PMed me about testing: working on a way to stream without cockatrice, will be ready kinda soon.

if there's a matchup you want to see, let me know soon
All I know is: I want to play Ashiok + Jace + Azorius Charm.

Lucario

these matchups aren't even remotely fair, leading me to believe I'm not building correctly

esper control is currently 4-0 against Wr midrange
Wr midrange is like 5-1 against naya midrange
and naya midrange is 3-1 against esper control -- super easy to play around the counterspells, and I didn't put in enough pressure to get through domri rade. Resolving one is pretty much GG.

making some changes so everything's a little more balanced. If someone can recommend an aggro list that'd be cool, because the best one I have so far is a rakdos list running thoughtseize to help against control.

PS: Lion can win games, but Voice of Resurgence has been lackluster. Too much removal exiles, the token never gets big unless you're already winning, etc.
PPS: Ashiok is neat. By neat I mean he's insane.

Going to try lifebane zombie instead of fiendslayer in the main for esper control. Will see how that plays out, lol.

kirblar

these matchups aren't even remotely fair, leading me to believe I'm not building correctly

esper control is currently 4-0 against Wr midrange
Wr midrange is like 5-1 against naya midrange
and naya midrange is 3-1 against esper control -- super easy to play around the counterspells, and I didn't put in enough pressure to get through domri rade. Resolving one is pretty much GG.

making some changes so everything's a little more balanced. If someone can recommend an aggro list that'd be cool, because the best one I have so far is a rakdos list running thoughtseize to help against control.

PS: Lion can win games, but Voice of Resurgence has been lackluster. Too much removal exiles, the token never gets big unless you're already winning, etc.
PPS: Ashiok is neat. By neat I mean he's insane.

Going to try lifebane zombie instead of fiendslayer in the main for esper control. Will see how that plays out, lol.
Ew, Fiendslayer? That seems bad.

Lucario

Ew, Fiendslayer? That seems bad.

I assumed esper would suuuuuuuper soft against RDW, and people like to play aggro in new formats.

2 Fiendslayer in the main was a poorly thought out way to compensate for that, but it wasn't anywhere near good enough in non-aggro matchups. The only time it was relevant was when I used two to hold off a Smiter.

Here's the first esper list, it's extremely rough and I need suggestions:

COUNTERS:

1 Essence Scatter
2 Psychic Strike
4 Syncopate

REMOVAL:

4 Azorius Charm
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Doom Blade
2 Far // Away
2 Detention Sphere

DUDES:

2 Fiendslayer Paladin (to be replaced)
2 Aetherling

PWs:

3 Ashiok
3 Jace, Architect of Thought

DRAW:
4 Sphinx's Revelation

LAND:

12 Shocks
8 Scrygates
4 Island
3 Plains

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There are too many relevant black creatures and Fiendslayer is too popular right now for Doom Blade to ever be in the main board. It's far too often a dead card.

Lucario

4 lifebane zombies did some work i guess

not enough though. domri is a blowout, which means we can't tap out for ashiok on turn 3 (unless the board is already clear, then go for it).

uuuuuuuuuuugh fucking naya

it's boring and I hate it and it's beating everything

4 VoR
4 that fucking annoying lion who I hate
2 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Sylvan Caryatid

4 Domri Rade
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Boros Reckoner

1 Xenagos

4 Stormbreath Dragon

3 Aurelia

8 Scrygaits
12 Shocks
5 basics

if standard turns into big midrange vs midrange matchups than I'm gonna be pissed. esper just isn't doing shit to this list.

will test more tomorrow

4 that fucking annoying lion who I hate

Fleecemane Lion?

And I know Scry is cool and all that, but why not Lightning Helix instead of Magma Jet? Same CMC with one extra point of damage plus life gain. Okay, so obviously you value the scry ability more... and I know that scry is good, I just suppose that the aggro in me prefers the damage and the life gain helps with the shocks.

Top Bottom