• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

It's banned in Modern, and at the time it was running over standard, it was up there with Jace and SFM when people were discussing bans. It's way too good.

Crocodile

Standard and Modern are different formats. Wild Nactal was never considered bannable during its T2 format and Blazing Shoal would do jack all if it were reintroduced to T2.

As for Preordain, I well aware of how good the card is. What I'm saying its that there is a BIG difference between the larger MTG community saying "damn that card is pretty good and sees play everywhere, maybe they will/should ban it?" and WOTC R&D saying "we were THIS close to banning Preordain but decided to go with Jace and Mytsic instead" or "Preordain is unequivocally too good for T2".

So if I'm playing mono-black after rotation, would this be a good idea to mess around with?

4 Thoughtsieze
4 Tenacious Dead

4 Gnawing Zombie

4 Hero's Downfall
4 Lifebane Zombie
3 Dark Prophesy
3 Grim Return
2 Fireshrieker

3 Liliana, Of the Dark Realms

3 Erebos, God of the Dead

2 Hythonia the Cruel

3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
21 Swamps

rCIZZLE

Cards like Wild Nacatl and Preordain shouldn't be banned in modern. PTE, Bolt, and Thoughtseize are wayyy more oppressive and don't really get brought up for bannings.

kirblar

"Why do and did people complain about Mystical Tutor's ban?

They want to put Mystical Tutor in bad decks. "

Ah, having to search up ban discussion let me rediscover this (very true) gem.

Exokell

Banned
Aggro was fine with Lightning Helix around back in Ravnica classic standard and that was with overall worse creatures. The difference maker is Snapcaster Mage.
Of course snaps was the main reason, but turn 3 kill with naya blitz and turn 4 kill with red aggro is possible on this standard. Lightning helix would be a huge blowout.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";80961953]So if I'm playing mono-black after rotation, would this be a good idea to mess around with?

4 Thoughtsieze
4 Tenacious Dead

4 Gnawing Zombie

4 Hero's Downfall
4 Lifebane Zombie
3 Dark Prophesy
3 Grim Return
2 Fireshrieker

3 Liliana, Of the Dark Realms

3 Erebos, God of the Dead

2 Hythonia the Cruel

3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
21 Swamps[/QUOTE]

Get a Blood Bairn in there. Combos well with Tenacious Dead.
I wonder if Crypt Ghast has a place in mono-black.
I'd throw in Desecration Demon in there. 4cmc 6/6 that adds two devotion. I'd probably run it over Liliana.
Need some target opponent sac cards like Devour Flesh or Far/Away.
I hate getting hit by Duress T1 but maybe that's more of a sideboard card than main.
Profit/Loss maybe good sideboard vs a token's deck. I choose that over Illness in the Ranks because Loss could also hit Young Pyromancer. This over Shrivel since you have some 1/1 creatures of your own.
I forget if Tragic Slip is rotating out, but if so, Quag Sickness may be the go to card to take care of Indestructible god creatures.
I'd probably take out the Grim Returns or at least one and try out Read the Bones!
I'd run Underworld Connection over Dark Prophecy.

"Why do and did people complain about Mystical Tutor's ban?

They want to put Mystical Tutor in bad decks. "

Ah, having to search up ban discussion let me rediscover this (very true) gem.

The amount of people who want Wizards to unban Stoneforge Mystic in Modern so they can put her into bad decks is adorable. And real. And very vocal.

And very obnoxious.

xNQzZUPSlCc_EN_LR.jpg

Unearth anything for 4 mana. Seems cool.

Y6GstutHmSL_EN_LR.jpg

AWESOME!!

RBtXzR7KoA5_EN_LR.jpg
N0aYn7ggPuU_EN_LR.jpg
zFQXyZ4bDYT_EN_LR.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, not really getting the flavor of the horse. Isn't the whole point that its a trap in disguise? This seems like its only upside for the opponent. Although I guess in multiplayer every player other then you also gets soldiers.

Yeef

Hm, not really getting the flavor of the horse. Isn't the whole point that its a trap in disguise? This seems like its only upside for the opponent. Although I guess in multiplayer every player other then you also gets soldiers.
It's a Trojan Horse. You gift it to an opponent only for them to find an army at their door. It's pretty straightforward and awesome.

The Technomancer

Oh wait, reading the article if I give it to an opponent the "your" becomes theirs. That's a bit confusing at first read. So I'm getting the tokens.

That whip is so awesome. I'm sad Mikaeus and heartless summoning are rotating out, so much cool black stuff going on in standard.

Get a Blood Bairn in there. Combos well with Tenacious Dead.
I wonder if Crypt Ghast has a place in mono-black.
I'd throw in Desecration Demon in there. 4cmc 6/6 that adds two devotion. I'd probably run it over Liliana.
Need some target opponent sac cards like Devour Flesh or Far/Away.
I hate getting hit by Duress T1 but maybe that's more of a sideboard card than main.
Profit/Loss maybe good sideboard vs a token's deck. I choose that over Illness in the Ranks because Loss could also hit Young Pyromancer. This over Shrivel since you have some 1/1 creatures of your own.
I forget if Tragic Slip is rotating out, but if so, Quag Sickness may be the go to card to take care of Indestructible god creatures.
I'd probably take out the Grim Returns or at least one and try out Read the Bones!
I'd run Underworld Connection over Dark Prophecy.
Thanks, I'll think these over. If Crypt Ghast was three cost and didn't have extort I'd totally run it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it just me or is Heroic a complete and utter miss as a mechanic. I get that they want to incentives you to use auras, but they just seem really awful.

If they changed it to whenever 'anyone' casts a spell targeting it, then we'd be talking.

The Technomancer

Is it just me or is Heroic a complete and utter miss as a mechanic. I get that they want to incentives you to use auras, but they just seem really awful.

If they changed it to whenever 'anyone' casts a spell targeting it, then we'd be talking.

The main problem I'm seeing with it is that, aside from auras, we really haven't seen any targeting spells in this set so far. Heroic needs to go off consistently to be any good.

Sinatar

The main problem I'm seeing with it is that, aside from auras, we really haven't seen any targeting spells in this set so far. Heroic needs to go off consistently to be any good.

Well all the dorky instant pump spells are generally part of the commons dump that comes at the end of spoiler season.

Sinatar

Yeah, we need to see some instants to judge them fully. Expecting heroic to be our aggro if given enough instants to pump things with.

Something like this might be interesting in a "heroic" deck if such a thing were to come out of this block.

Image.ashx

That is assuming the overload effect counts as 'targeting'.

EDIT: Of course it doesn't count as targeting, it's getting late. :p

y2dvd

Something like this might be interesting in a "heroic" deck if such a thing were to come out of this block.

Image.ashx

That is assuming the overload effect counts as 'targeting'.

EDIT: Of course it doesn't count as targeting, it's getting late. :p

Imagine if Brave the Elements counted as targeting every creature. I made that mistake at first lol.

rCIZZLE

Swan Song
Instant U Rare
Counter target enchantment, instant or sorcery spell. Its controller puts a 2/2 blue Bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield under his control.

This... seems interesting. Incredibly powerful counter with a drawback that may not be very relevant in a lot of situations, mainly on both sides of eternal combo. Obviously poor in delver/geist decks though.

Grakl

for those who dont check reddit

Swan Song
U
Instant - Rare
Counter target instant, sorcery or enchantment spell. It's controller puts a 2/2 blue bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Top Bottom