• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

at least in the context of standard, this is mini-auriok champion.

super good card. doesn't dodge the removal that'll be hitting it most often I guess -- magma jet, shock, etc -- but dodges a lot of midrange removal, which is the sort of deck aggro needed help against.

also, if people are running shock just to deal with this, it is doing its job before it even hits the board, so yeah

gj wizards, this makes up for heroic

zoukka

Today I learned that if I act of treason and equip, the equipment stays equipped after my turn... and lost a tournament because of this :)

Edit: One mana 2/1 with protection and a decent ability... shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seems like it could be a decent sideboard card, but might also be good in some kind of white/Boros aggro list? Maybe I'm misreading it.

Savannah Lions was once a pretty good one drop without anything at all. This seems really nice for a one drop with that added ability which isn't shabby at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Was. Emphasis on was. Creatures have evolved.

Not that this is an average creature, but it's no Wild Nacatl.

They could have at least made these guys some kind of Lions/cats in tribute to our poor fallen Alpha creatures.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They could have at least made these guys some kind of Lions/cats in tribute to our poor fallen Alpha creatures.

There's still a slight human soldier "theme" left over from Innistrad so it's better if the one drop is also a human.

EDIT: Although I guess with Avabruck/Parish/Aristocrat rotating out that's no longer true.

Yeef

I'm guessing (hoping) they're not doing much for 20 because they plan on doing something big for 25. Fingers crossed on Return to Dominaria.

Angry Grimace

Man, Revised/Unlimited had the best terrible creatures that 14 year olds like myself ran in decks all the time, e.g. Craw Wurms, Lord of the Pit, Force of Nature. (In fact, I don't think anyone I played with had any concept of being any good at the game until people started running Necropotence decks copied from the Duelist)

JulianImp

I'm telling you, Golgari Charm is the dreamkiller in the new standard. It does so much good stuff.

Then what about Electrickery? What wouldn't it kill that Golgari Charm could? I'll have to have to rethink my UR's burn spell suite, and so far I think I have Mizzium Mortars, Izzet Charm and Magma Jet/Shock/new Searing Spear. I don't want to clog the 2CMC slot, though, but perhaps I could add Goblin Electromancers to cheapen my 2CMC spells down to 1CMC, both for added value and to be albe to squeeze more Pyromancer an/or Guttersnipe activations in a turn.

The Cancel+scry card seems mildly interesting, but I think I'd be better off running more burn instead.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Then what about Electrickery? What wouldn't it kill that Golgari Charm could? I'll have to have to rethink my UR's burn spell suite, and so far I think I have Mizzium Mortars, Izzet Charm and Magma Jet/Shock/new Searing Spear. I don't want to clog the 2CMC slot, though, but perhaps I could add Goblin Electromancers to cheapen my 2CMC spells down to 1CMC, both for added value and to be albe to squeeze more Pyromancer an/or Guttersnipe activations in a turn.

The Cancel+scry card seems mildly interesting, but I think I'd be better off running more burn instead.

Golgari Charm isn't just a kill all the 1 toughness things. It's a kill the enchantment things (aka like 80% of the permanents in this set) and wrath defense.

y2dvd

Seems like it could be a decent sideboard card, but might also be good in some kind of white/Boros aggro list? Maybe I'm misreading it.

It's good enough to mainboard.
Let's list what heavy hitters its protected from:
Abrupt Decay
Advent of the Wurm
Aurelia's Fury
Azorius Charm
Boros Reckoner
Burning Tree Emissary
Call of the Conclave
Cartel Aristocrat
Centaur Healer
Detention Sphere
Dimir Charm
Domri Rade (!!!)
Dreadbore
Dreg Mangler
Dryad Militant
Fleecemane Lion
Frostburn Weird
Izzet Charm
Izzet Staticaster
Loxodon Smiter
Obzedat, Ghost Council
Orzhov Charm
Rakdos Cackler
Ral Zarek
Spike Jester
Varolz, the Scar-Striped
Voice of Resurgence (!!!)
Warleader's Helix
Warped Physique
Xenagos, the Reveler's token creature

It's easily a 4 of in a white aggro deck.

kirblar

I can't ever remember a set that said "DONT BUY ANYTHING TILL MONTHS LATER" like this one. The general inflation is ridiculous.

JulianImp

Golgari Charm isn't just a kill all the 1 toughness things. It's a kill the enchantment things (aka like 80% of the permanents in this set) and wrath defense.

My bad, I thought the "kill something" mode hit artifacts, not enchantments! That makes it a lot more interesting.

Those Savannah Lions on crack look crazy, but I think I'm really digging the black god's whip; lifelink can be a great boon, and the ability to repeatedly unearth stuff could be quite useful. The swan counter could be good in eternal formats and will possibly still be worth playing in Standard, but it feels a bit too quirky for my taste.

ultron87

GVTpyPj.jpg

I think his beard has its own beard. And not really a bomb but a pretty good limited card.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How're you bringing the same demon back several times? Would't it get exiled by the whip no matter what?

You play the demon, it triggers and kills their dude and then goes to the yard cause you don't have enough dudes in your yard. Next turn you bring him back with the whip, he triggers again killing something, then you get to hit them with him (cause he has haste) and gain 5 life (cause lifelink).

You aren't bringing him back multiple times, just the once. You just get insane value out of him.

JulianImp

You play the demon, it triggers and kills their dude and then goes to the yard cause you don't have enough dudes in your yard. Next turn you bring him back with the whip, he triggers again killing something, then you get to hit them with him (cause he has haste) and gain 5 life (cause lifelink).

You aren't bringing him back multiple times, just the once. You just get insane value out of him.

Isn't that a bit too slow and clunky to work reliably? It'd be turn five by the time you play the demon, and unless you've been taking care of your opponent's threats on turns 1-3, not even killing two creatures and a 5-point life swing looks like it's going to save you.

I'm really interested in how this format could change with the recent lack of ridiculous mana-fixing we previously had, but I'm kind of bummed that running my already wonky BUG deck will become even harder to do post-rotation.

Firemind

Wait, what? Dang it. I thought it was a RtR card.

Guess I'll have to make do with Aetherling. 9/1 unblockable lifelink, delicious.

ultron87

Lol, those trolls.

I'm certainly pretty fine with it not being Daybreak Coronet.

Dryad Arbor would have totally fit on this world. Just saying.

Yeef

I typically use Cockatrice, but primarily just goldfishing against my other decks. I rarely bother with standard though, so most of my decks are modern or just 'vintage' casual.

Crocodile

I can't ever remember a set that said "DONT BUY ANYTHING TILL MONTHS LATER" like this one. The general inflation is ridiculous.

I haven't been following the prices too much but cards are always inflated near release. Is it especially bad for this set?

VnrRE5uE7Gq_EN_LR.jpg

And here is your Future Sight future shifted card. Please be excited.

When Nessian Asp was spoiled I had a feeling this was going to be the Future-Shifted card :/ I'll enjoy playing these in limited though.

bigkrev

I haven't been following the prices too much but cards are always inflated near release. Is it especially bad for this set?

When Nessian Asp was spoiled I had a feeling this was going to be the Future-Shifted card :/ I'll enjoy playing these in limited though.

Pretty sure the average value of a opened pack is greater than 3.99 right now, meaning prices will drop unless there are shortages

OnPoint

Ah, that's cool. I pretty much sat out of MtG from Visions or so to Innistrad so missed all of that. Thanks!

I dropped out around Odyssey and got back in around M12, so I feel your lack of knowledge. It will come back as you research. Feel free to ask questions, everyone in here is awesome.

Top Bottom