• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

f0rk

A good pyroclasm in standard again yay
Better than pyroclasm in modern as well? UWR plays 1 so could be straight swap. Probably not in Tron though

JulianImp

Theros just keeps on delivering! First, Magma Jet, then that runechanter chimera, and now Pyroclasm on steroids. My deck might lose several good cards with rotation, but it'll get some amazing replacements in their stead. The exile clause will come in handy now that the only other card I run to get Voice of Resurgence out of the would be that crappy RTR common (Annihilating Fire, I believe?).

Between the new red sweeper, the devotion-land, and some of the curve-toppers like Purphoros, I'm wondering if a new Big Red is viable.

y2dvd

I think you mean Grixis. America already has a sweeper.

This kinda replaces Terminus as far as additional sweepers to Supreme Verdict goes. I'd run maybe one on the mainboard but maybe have two or so sideboarded for aggro decks. Getting it out 1 turn earlier than SV will help out so much.

Between the new red sweeper, the devotion-land, and some of the curve-toppers like Purphoros, I'm wondering if a new Big Red is viable.

What will Big Red lose post rotation?
Thundermal Hellkite? Replaced by Stormbreath Dragon
Hellride? Not sure what would be a good replacement.

Lucario

kills voice, phoenix, burgerking, etc

I like it. Lets me run specific removal for things like Stormbreath Dragon and Loxodon Smiter instead of relying on Mizzium Mortars as my only boardwipe, which makes magma jet viable as our only burn spell to take care of things like rakdos cackler and spike jester.

....So the removal suite is getting a massive upgrade with this card. Definitely four copies between main and side.

Unfortunately, just like the new counterspell, it's ridiculously hard to cast in a three-color post rotation list. Not reliable, but powerful.

grixis gettin' an update now that we have a way to win against aggro/stomp some midrange creatures

bigkrev

Man I really hope U/W is good!

Cause this just came in the mail
6798d50d-917b-4885-8d1c-c83a111c4870_zps42955b02.jpg

Also got 4x Aurelia's Fury for a total of $10 if that becomes a thing.

Firemind

Unfortunately, just like the new counterspell, it's ridiculously hard to cast in a three-color post rotation list. Not reliable, but powerful.

Just play Darksteel Ingot or the manartifacts and abuse Rakdos's Return further.

I reckon Grixis doesn't need double black to function. Unless Cruel Ultimatum somehow gets reprinted.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
FINE I'LL BUY A SET OF JACE A:OT

kirblar, he better work out or I'mma be mad at you.

Anybody know where to get a set for the cheapest?

Lucario

FINE I'LL BUY A SET OF JACE A:OT

kirblar, he better work out or I'mma be mad at you.

Anybody know where to get a set for the cheapest?

he'll work out
SCG if they restock soon, tcgplayer if they don't

Scrygates are so feelgood. I really want an R/B or R/U one so this grixis deck can have better mana ;.;

ALL I WANT TO DO IS CAST ASHIOK
IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

ultron87

Am I weird in that I buy pretty much all my singles from Ebay? I just search for Buy it Now + Free Shipping and can almost always find good prices from reputable sellers.

Lucario

wow, theros prices are inflated as hell.

if you preorder anything, it should be cerberus, stormbreath dragon, or ashiok. Or maybe a random $1 rare you care about.

But holy crap. So many bad cards preordering for 10-20$+

kirblar

Am I weird in that I buy pretty much all my singles from Ebay? I just search for Buy it Now + Free Shipping and can almost always find good prices from reputable sellers.
Ebay is good, TCGplayer is great. (100% record through them so far.)

yuuup. My preorders: 4x Dragon, Caryatid, and Polis Crusher. Wish I had waited on that last one, but I'm only out like an extra dollar or two, so no biggie.

Lucario

Ebay is good, TCGplayer is great. (100% record through them so far.)

yuuup. My preorders: 4x Dragon, Caryatid, and Polis Crusher. Wish I had waited on that last one, but I'm only out like an extra dollar or two, so no biggie.

I got 4 dragons, 4 caryatid, 4 polis crusher, 4 cerberus, and I'm working on 4 ashiok.

almost nothing else has any potential to go up whatsoever

Firemind

Actually, who needs black? U/R can kill anything early and midgame with Turn // Burn. Geist doesn't exist anymore so edicts are redundant.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

if you preorder anything, it should be cerberus, stormbreath dragon, or ashiok. Or maybe a random $1 rare you care about.

But holy crap. So many bad cards preordering for 10-20$+

I imagine that's a total money spinner since its all speculative as to what the state of the game is going to look like after the set releases.

Lucario

I imagine that's a total money spinner since its all speculative as to what the state of the game is going to look like after the set releases.

objectively bad cards are preordering for $20+.

see: Erebos.

Even Whip of Erebos, which is effectively an easier to kill version of Seance with an activation cost + haste granting, is getting $4. It will never see constructed play outside of EDH.

the only card that's worthwhile to reanimate in this format is ashen rider

and you can just cast that for 8 mana

We've reached the point that players speculating without testing/buying for EDH are altering prices more than testers. Happened with Dragon's Maze too -- multiple bad mythics were preordering at $15-20+, even back when Voice of Resurgence was around that price.

This is a good thing, as it means amazing cards like Stormbreath Dragon are preodering for less than mediocre cards like Purphorus.

It also means that shady ebayers can shortsell unplayables like Nylea.

edit: I really hope nobody in this thread is going to pay $6 for Swan Song. Delicious in legacy and modern sideboards, but virtually unplayable in standard.

Lucario

It's no Thundermaw and I got that in high season for like $24.

it's likely better in the upcoming format than thundermaw ever was in the previous format.

implying it's worse than thundermaw kind of tells me you haven't tested with it. they both have different merits, but stormbreath is so much better at closing out a game it's ridiculous.

either way, preordered at $10. I can't possibly go wrong.

What about a set of lion's for 25? I was thinking 60 the line for dragons

I'd be waiting on the lions. It's possible they could stay in the $7 range, but if naya and selesnya aren't as good as I think they are, it's also very possible they'll fall to ~$3-4. $7-8 is about as high as a rare can go in a set that already has thoughtseize in it, after all.

Lucario

remember: the average price of a mythic will fall by 70% or so by the time redemptions happen.

if you don't know what to get and/or aren't going to large events any time soon, you should not preorder anything.

even stormbreath.

Lucario

This set is very, very deep, much like RTR.

That means that the price of individual singles will plummet.

Exactly. Even objectively good cards like Abrupt Decay, Stormbreath, and Fleecemane Lion can plummet if the set is loaded with value.

Remember how amazing Abrupt Decay seemed when it was preordering at 10-15? Everyone speculated it would be an all format playable -- and they were correct.

Except other cards in the set saw even more play, so it settled at 4-7 dollars for a while before spiking up recently. It still has yet to hit its preorder price, even though the people speculating on it were absolutely correct about how good it was.

Preordering anything right now is pretty dumb unless you plan to use it very soon after release.

kirblar

It's a shame the other developers just aren't on Lauer's level when it comes to spreading the power around. You can see the difference between his sets and others where you have 15-20% of the rares playable.

Crocodile

It's a shame the other developers just aren't on Lauer's level when it comes to spreading the power around. You can see the difference between his sets and others where you have 15-20% of the rares playable.

Isn't he the active developer that has been working the longest at WOTC? I figure that his extra experience helps him do an especially good job so frequently.

Firemind

it's likely better in the upcoming format than thundermaw ever was in the previous format.

implying it's worse than thundermaw kind of tells me you haven't tested with it. they both have different merits, but stormbreath is so much better at closing out a game it's ridiculous.

Err, what? Thundermaw will always connect and has a bigger initial butt. It allowed UWR midrange to close games by itself. It made Kibler Gruul a nightmare to deal with. It made Lingering Souls obsolete. It kind of was a big deal.

I don't have to test it to state it's worse than Thundermaw. LSV didn't test it and has said the same.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I must be the only person here that doesn't play hardcore tournaments and just opens packs of cards.
KuGsj.gif

I rarely make showings at FNMs because all of the shops in my area have become quite competitive. I also like the random shots of positive reinforcement from opening a good pack of cards. I mostly just play table games with decks I build out of what I have. I mostly play against my girlfriend.

My plan with every expansion is to buy a couple boxes and just 2-man draft with her several times out of those boxes. I get enough cards to make it interesting and I also manage to not get myself involved in any card price rat races. I'm a terrible speculator, anyway.

Angry Grimace

Because I have to find some way to justify spending all this money on a children's card game, or I'd probably just kill myself in shame.

I guess I just find pack opening fun.

Or infuriating.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It just dawned on me that O.Ring isn't in M14, so unless you're playing UW you don't get access to that effect anymore.

Hm.

Top Bottom