• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

By "fixed text" I don't think he was referring to D-Sphere not being able to target itself. I think he means removing the second trigger (a la Banisher Priest vs Fiend Hunter).

Here's your Limited Heroic enabler:

9WozQmIbj1x_EN_LR.jpg

I'm not trippin right? That's a whole lot of downside to this card isn't it? o_o

Think of it this way: if you're the aggressor, you don't need to worry about taking any damage at all because you're the one doing the damage. If your opponent spends any time dealing damage to your face, then he's going to be taking way more to his own due to using cards to hit you and not the threats.

It's like paying life for cards. Just another resource to use, and in RDW's case, this resource is almost completely expendable.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";81370645]Does removing counters also remove Monstrous?[/QUOTE]

I believe so since the trigger to become monstrous looks for the prerequisite # of +1\+1 counters.

Yeef

Monstrous is just a condition. The +1/+1 counters act as psuedo-memory aides, but they're not actually tied to the condition. If you remove them with, say Bioshift or Give & Take, the monster will still be monstrous.

I believe so since the trigger to become monstrous looks for the prerequisite # of +1\+1 counters.

Actually, the way it is worded only checks that it is not monstrous. It has nothing to do with the # of counters.

"If this creature isn't monstrous, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous"

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";81370645]Does removing counters also remove Monstrous?[/QUOTE]

The FAQ isn't out yet, but I'm about 99% sure that Monstrous is a state of the card that is technically independent of the number of +1/+1 counters on it.

I believe the only way to reset Monstrous is to blink the card.

Jaeyden

I know the drawbacks to double-sided cards but couldn't WOTC have done them again so that they flip when they become monstrous? Probably would have made things a bit easier to understand for newbs.

I know the drawbacks to double-sided cards but couldn't WOTC have done them again so that they flip when they become monstrous? Probably would have made things a bit easier to understand for newbs.

I'd rather they make an entire set of nothing but banding and phasing cards than bring back double faced cards.

Wichu

So apparently I keep forgetting I already own Mnemonic Wall for my EDH deck and keep ordering more absentmindedly - my third copy arrived today. Irony FTW. At least it's only a couple of pennies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So apparently I keep forgetting I already own Mnemonic Wall for my EDH deck and keep ordering more absentmindedly - my third copy arrived today. Irony FTW. At least it's only a couple of pennies.

I did this with Scavenging Ooze on MTGO, I have 7 now.

At least they will be worth something once it cycles out.

red13th

I never understood what banding did when I started playing.
I didn't understand protection either though but banding took longer to sink in.
And regeneration... actually, now that I think of it, early abilites were kinda hard to grasp compared to, like, Haste or Vigilance.

This is the least excited I've been for a red 1-drop in awhile. I mean, I'm sure it's playable, but a slightly improved Jackal Pup is still low on the totem pole given the quality of red 1-drops we've been seeing lately.

ultron87

I never understood what banding did when I started playing.
I didn't understand protection either though but banding took longer to sink in.
And regeneration... actually, now that I think of it, early abilites were kinda hard to grasp compared to, like, Haste or Vigilance.

Protection and Regeneration are easily the two most confusing evergreen abilities that they still use. Regeneration because it doesn't quite work how you think it should (ie you have to do it before the thing that kills you takes effect) and Protection because it only protects from a specific set of things.

Lucario

I can't even begin to comprehend how I'm supposed to draft this set.

Appears to be the most difficult since shadowmoor. There are going to be a lot of judging headaches at the prerelease from overcomplicated boardstates alone.

(I'm going to love every minute of it if it's anything like shadowmoor. Something tells me it won't be, though, as the multicolored subtheme could make the actual... drafting portion.... a little unpredictable. Can't be as bad as DGM though.)

(I mean, we haven't seen a lot of commons, but still. What we have seen is going to create some interesting boards)

Kacar

Planning on going to my first ever pre-release for Theros.

Is there anything in particular I should bring, i dunno how it works.

JulianImp

You should definirely bring pen and paper (to track life totals), assorted dice (mostly for counters) and sleeves (forty at least).

I'm probably going to try to find some special kind of marker I can use for monstrous triggers. Hmm... I think I have some of my old Pokémon Trading Card Game poison counters I could use.

ultron87

I'd bring some dice if you have them for counters and pen and paper to keep track of life totals. Typically I'd also suggest a box for holding cards but you should get a little box with your prerelease packs that you can use for that.

Lucario

For this set, I recommend dice. LOTS of dice. And probably paper/pencil for writing out tokens, life totals, etc. There are a lot of +1/+1 counters in this set, and with them come memory issues.

Most importantly, have fun!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Also a single, satin glove with which to smack your opponent across the face before each match. It's tradition to do that before every duel.

Don't want to look stupid, ya know?

Lucario

A friend of mine has this glittering mesh about three inches by five that he hangs in front of his eyes at pre-release games. He calls it his poker face

That is glorious. I'm jealous of your FNM.

I miss my fun, casual FNM so much. Everyone at school is spikey, which definitely isn't a bad thing, but none of them really enjoy the social aspects of they game. They just look bored when they play. :(

kirblar

I miss my fun, casual FNM so much. Everyone at school is spikey, which definitely isn't a bad thing, but none of them really enjoy the social aspects of they game. They just look bored when they play. :(
The game's only fun if your opponent's trying to kill you.

OnPoint

I have a friend I used to play a lot with. He's turned more spike lately and it makes it harder for me to pitch terrible but fun decks to him. Even worse if I play them lol

Top Bottom