• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, just ban everything good so we can have just a bunch of mediocre do nothing decks. Every banning of a popular card just leads to a less of a desire for people to buy into the format. They need to be careful about knee jerk bannings.

DRS is safe in this update. Detroit was yesterday; prior to that point, there wasn't much evidence to call DRS bannable.

I've been pulling for a Bitterblossom unban for some time now. Here's hoping...

EDIT: And no changes to Modern. Again. That just seems wrong to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
IbdPuI4eb7O_EN_LR.jpg

I love this

I'm a fan of that card too, just in terms of being sweet. I wonder if the Limited format will be slow enough, or if ramp will be good enough, to make that thing actually playable though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/faq/ths

Reading the release notes for the rules there, this is kind of interesting.

If a God stops being a creature, it loses the type creature and all creature subtypes. It continues to be a legendary enchantment.

So if a god doesn't have devotion it loses the creature subtype even though it's printed on the card? So for instance I can't path to exile a god unless devotion turns on?

That seems a bit odd.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/faq/ths

Reading the release notes for the rules there, this is kind of interesting.

So if a god doesn't have devotion it loses the creature subtype even though it's printed on the card? So for instance I can't path to exile a god unless devotion turns on?

That seems a bit odd.

I'm pretty sure each of the Gods specifically state that if your Devotion is to low, they stop being creatures, and a card's rules text frequently supersede other printed information.

ultron87

Here's one rule that I wouldn't have guessed immediately:

An ability that triggers when a creature becomes monstrous won't trigger if that creature isn't on the battlefield when its monstrosity ability resolves.

I guess that makes sense. I wasn't originally thinking of the Monstrous ability and the "when it becomes monstrous" text as separate triggers.

Geek and Sundry's Magic show, presumably in the vein of Table Top, comes out this week with Day[9] hosting. http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1321 I like Day[9] but I'll be interested to see if there is a format and editing style that can make random Magic matches actually fun to watch.

Sinatar

If you can't exile Underworld Cerberus when its last ability resolves, perhaps because it's been exiled by another spell or ability, each player will still return all creature cards from his or her graveyard to his or her hand.

Wut? So if I use an exile effect on cerberus to dodge his death trigger, they get it anyway?

WTF?

EDIT: Actually reading that, it requires him to "die" to trigger the ability... so I guess it works as per normal.

Lucario

okay so
Anger of the Gods and Scooze aren't enough hate to keep melira-pod in check with Deathrite Shaman banned now? I thought that was the point of those cards being legal in modern now. To make DRS safe to ban without m-pod becoming dominant.

The most played creature in modern -- and second most played card, behind only lightning bolt -- lives on. I guess. Maybe they want to see how the format plays out now, because RWU control's matchup against pod is getting better post-theros.

Sinatar

I doubt they'll ban DRS until it cycles out of Standard, they still gotta sell those packs.

They also won't ban it until ti starts dominating back to back tournaments. Running the tables at one tourney isn't going to get it banned yet. If the metagame can't respond and it continues to run things then it'll get banned next fall.

The top 8 for Detroit (Ben Stark's Jund is listed twice, word on Twitter is that 8th is a pod deck):

Jund
Jund
Affinity
BG Rock
BG Rock
Jund
Ajundi
Pod

As soon as this was posted my mtg Twitter feed exploded with responses and dismay.

Interesting. I thought for sure RWU was going to start dominating the Modern tables for some time.

I wonder if we'll see more Jund or Gruul Zoo lists that run Scooze in the main in anticipation of the mirror. Regardless, if anyone is going to play Modern, their decks have to be ready for Merelia Pod and Jund.

EDIT: I suppose my post would make more sense if I first establish what I thought was interesting.

ultron87

Now that everything is out there, anyone have thoughts on what they're going to play for the Prerelease? This time around there are just 5 packs you can chose from each aligned to a color. And you get the intro pack rare of that color as your playable promo.

Purely based on the promo, Black's Abhorrent Overlord is probably the best one. At minimum 8 flying power for 7 mana with a easily work aroundable downside.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Interesting. I thought for sure RWU was going to start dominating the Modern tables for some time.

I wonder if we'll see more Jund or Gruul Zoo lists that run Scooze in the main in anticipation of the mirror. Regardless, if anyone is going to play Modern, their decks have to be ready for Merelia Pod and Jund.

EDIT: I suppose my post would make more sense if I first establish what I thought was interesting.

UWR isn't a good choice in a tournament with a time limit lol.

Lucario

UWR isn't a good choice in a tournament with a time limit lol.

UWR geist is fantastic, as is UWR control. Time limit isn't a big deal, at least not on MTGO.

Lists just need to be adapted to a post-scooze format. It'll be getting better with the addition of Anger of the Gods, as the deck absolutely needed more midrange spells.

EDIT: 27 deathrites in the top 8 for GP Detroit

TWENTY SEVEN.

rCIZZLE

Now that everything is out there, anyone have thoughts on what they're going to play for the Prerelease? This time around there are just 5 packs you can chose from each aligned to a color. And you get the intro pack rare of that color as your playable promo.

Purely based on the promo, Black's Abhorrent Overlord is probably the best one. At minimum 8 flying power for 7 mana with a easily work aroundable downside.

I'm thinking White is the best. Even without Bestow it's a 4/4 flying first strike for 5 which is pretty amazing for sealed. Bestow just makes it one of the best top decks if you have any kind of board presence. I haven't really looked at the rest of spoilers yet but if white is decent at all then that's my pick for the prerelease.

kirblar

UWR geist is fantastic, as is UWR control. Time limit isn't a big deal, at least not on MTGO.

Lists just need to be adapted to a post-scooze format. It'll be getting better with the addition of Anger of the Gods, as the deck absolutely needed more midrange spells.

TWENTY SEVEN.
Someone should make a countdown clock that ends at the next B/R update. With a picture of DRS right below it.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

TWENTY SEVEN.

Well the Tron matchup is horrid for UWR control and that was probably the most anticipated deck to beat coming into the GP next to Affinity.

kirblar

Well the Tron matchup is horrid for UWR control and that was probably the most anticipated deck to beat coming into the GP next to Affinity.
Tron's a trap deck - you can't beat combo, and so you need a very specific meta to do well. It's why the deck never Top 8ed PTQs but littered the 9-32 brackets.

Lucario

I played (mono blue) tron for a while, explicitly to take advantage of the UWR control/midrange/geist saturation on MTGO.

It is pretty bad against everything that plays creatures. Jund stomps it with even the slightest amount of dedicated sideboard hate, but some fancy plays and knowledge of the format can get you to ~40% there. Affinity is a nearly impossible matchup -- hard to break 30% -- and that was with a list that was developed specifically to have a chance against aggro. The melira pod matchup is worse than the jund one, unless you're playing Steel Sabotage to deal with affinity and counter pod.

I would never recommend playing it at a GP. You'll do alright at the top 8 table I'm sure, but getting through aggro and pod to make it there is going to be a nearly impossible task.

ultron87

I'm thinking White is the best. Even without Bestow it's a 4/4 flying first strike for 5 which is pretty amazing for sealed. Bestow just makes it one of the best top decks if you have any kind of board presence. I haven't really looked at the rest of spoilers yet but if white is decent at all then that's my pick for the prerelease.

Yeah, that one should be pretty good too.

I'd think that in Sealed especially it will be correct to wait to cast with Bestow more often than not. Everyone will have some amount of removal so getting two shots at your big evasive hard to block flyer staying on the board should be really good.

I just don't know about the various ground pounder promos.

That's why I run Izzet-Tron. It loses the consistency of Mono-U and G/R builds, but it has a more robust suite of answers, and is less likely to fold to certain decks. The problem is, in addition to the consistency issues, the deck is mentally exhausting for me to pilot, and my matches frequently go to time.

The deck can be fun, but I'm thinking of demoting it to a casual deck since I don't see myself piloting it successfully in a big event.

Lucario

Yeah, that one should be pretty good too.

I'd think that in Sealed especially it will be correct to wait to cast with Bestow more often than not. Everyone will have some amount of removal so getting two shots at your big evasive hard to block flyer staying on the board should be really good.

I just don't know about the various ground pounder promos.

Play white or black. Get there early so they can't be claimed by other people.

Removal is scarce.

JulianImp

I doubt they'll ban DRS until it cycles out of Standard, they still gotta sell those packs.

They also won't ban it until ti starts dominating back to back tournaments. Running the tables at one tourney isn't going to get it banned yet. If the metagame can't respond and it continues to run things then it'll get banned next fall.

That got me thinking about how crazy Standard would've been had they decided to bring fetchlands back while Deathrite is still Standard-legal...

Sinatar

I get the feeling that they are moving away from duals in core sets since they plan on having full cycles of 10 every block now.

Lucario

Fetchlands in standard = three color manabases with like 20 green sources to get out turn 1 mana dorks

I like it, but I also kinda hate it.

JulianImp

That'd also be another good way to transition people to Modern. "Hey, you know the Standard mana bases you spent a bunch on? Use em here!"

However, I think spending ten rare slots over three sets by placing dual lands within blocks rather than core sets would be better, since it'd mean five to ten slots that'd be freed up for the latter.

However, if that were to happen, they'd have to come up with other ways to make core set packs worth opening. I haven't looked into how M14's doing so far, though, so I could be wrong there.

Top Bottom