• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

I don't think we'll see any multicolor commons in this set. The draft strategy seems to push players toward a monocolor deck with another color splashed.

good point. I want split mana costs again so I can always play monocolor though!

ultron87

Feels like a safety valve card so that there is some other color besides white that actually can deal with a god.

(I guess Black can also get take it to 0 toughness while in creature mode.)

JulianImp

Image isn't working for me, what's the card?

2G common Sorcery that exiles target enchantment or artifact.

I awlays though that green shouldn't have that much enchantment destruction. I get that it likes to keep things natural, but the ability to actually remove magical enchantments with magic from the wild is kind of weird for me flavor-wise.

kirblar

2G common Sorcery that exiles target enchantment or artifact.

I awlays though that green shouldn't have that much enchantment destruction. I get that it likes to keep things natural, but the ability to actually remove magical enchantments with magic from the wild is kind of weird for me flavor-wise.
The problem is that G/W have essentially turned into the same color instead of Green swapping with White re: Enchantment/Artifacts.

Yeef

The problem is that G/W have essentially turned into the same color instead of Green swapping with White re: Enchantment/Artifacts.
Definitely.

I've always felt that white should've lost artifact hate, but gotten stronger enchantment hate. Red, likewise, should have the strongest artifact hate. Green should get both, but at much weaker levels.

Is it just weird for you guys because of the "exile" part? Green has had naturalize effects for forever, right?

Yup. Exiling isn't typically a green thing. It's mostly a white thing.

Exiling in this set is extremely relevant, at least in limited. The God cards are all indestructible, so naturalize can't take care of them. Now that we have this, green has a nice answer to the god cards.

Lucario

noncreatures (10):

4 Magma Jet
1 Putrefy
3 Domri Rade
1 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
1 Rakdos's Return

creatures (26):

2 Lotleth Troll
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Scavenging Ooze

4 Boon Satyr
3 Varolz

4 Reaper of the Wilds
1 Polukranos

2 Underworld Cerberus
3 Stormbreath Dragon

lands (24):

4 Temple of Abandon
12 shocks
4 Forest
3 Swamp
1 Mountain

SB:

2 Crypt Incursion
2 Xenagos
1 Putrefy
3 Lifebane Zombie
4 Thoughtseize
2 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Slaughter Games

Fade into Antiquity is actually worse than Deglamer, which has always been able to handle indestructible stuff (and is a card I would prefer to have over this one). I don't see the color pie violation here.

If anything, blue and green should have the easiest time dealing with gods, since they're the least faith based colors of the five.

kirblar

Fade into Antiquity is actually worse than Deglamer, which has always been able to handle indestructible stuff (and is a card I would prefer to have over this one). I don't see the color pie violation here.

If anything, blue and green should have the easiest time dealing with gods, since they're the least faith based colors of the five.
Green + Exile is the problem. I suspect this is "Commander Creep", as there have suddenly been a number of questions about "tucking" on MaRo's blog.

"Tucking", btw, is something that someone really, really should have googled before deciding to use it as MTG shorthand. I have to ssts every time.

Green + Exile is the problem. I suspect this is "Commander Creep", as there have suddenly been a number of questions about "tucking" on MaRo's blog.

"Tucking", btw, is something that someone really, really should have googled before deciding to use it as MTG shorthand. I have to ssts every time.

I don't see the issue, honestly. At the heart of it, green is good at killing enchantments and artifacts. To claim there's a color pie difference between destroying, exiling, or tucking them seems silly.

Plus, I didn't see anyone get up in arms over Curse of the Swine :p

ultron87

That's a change I can get behind since it matches the flavor of something being transmogrified more than the "destroy" it used to have. If something gets turned into a pig it shouldn't be able to be reanimated next turn too.

OnPoint

I don't see the issue, honestly. At the heart of it, green is good at killing enchantments and artifacts. To claim there's a color pie difference between destroying, exiling, or tucking them seems silly.

The curse is a transformative ability.

What is tucking

kirblar

Flimsy flavor justification for a very out-of-color mechanical effect.

Tucking is shuffling something back into someone's library, or putting it on the bottom of their library.
Yet you're perfectly ok with it in Green? This seems...incoherent? Blue gets to transform creatures. Exile's far preferable to Destroy.

They specifically said (on MaRo's blog) that they didn't use the Hallowed Burial wording due to Commander.

OnPoint

Flimsy flavor justification for a very out-of-color mechanical effect.

Tucking is shuffling something back into someone's library, or putting it on the bottom of their library.
Blue is the color of tricks and illusions. Also transformations. Delver is covered under this, as is Turn to Frog, Rapid Hybridization, morphing type creatures, etc

My guess is that they pulled it from other card/board games. I know Innovation (a pretty kick ass non-collectible card game) uses it.

Yet you're perfectly ok with it in Green? This seems...incoherent? Blue gets to transform creatures. Exile's far preferable to Destroy.

Transforming creatures is a very minor, niche ability of blue's that only shows up very rarely on cards. Mechanically, Curse of the Swine exiles multiple creatures with a potentially very minor drawback, and uses the excuse of "transforming" them. Blue is not supposed to be able to get rid of creatures permanently.

A major part of green's identity, present on multiple cards in every set, is getting rid of artifacts and enchantments, in more ways than simply destroying them (Deglamer, the commander card that makes each opponent sacrifice one, Molder Slug). FiA is simply an extension of that theme.

I'm fine with both cards, but in terms of color pie, Curse of the Swine is a worse offender than Fade into Antiquity.

kirblar

Transforming creatures is a very minor, niche ability of blue's that only shows up very rarely on cards. Mechanically, Curse of the Swine exiles multiple creatures with a potentially very minor drawback, and uses the excuse of "transforming" them. Blue is not supposed to be able to get rid of creatures permanently.

A major part of green's identity, present on multiple cards in every set, is getting rid of artifacts and enchantments, in more ways than simply destroying them. FiA is simply an extension of that theme.

I'm fine with both cards, but in terms of color pie, Curse of the Swine is a worse offender than Fade into Antiquity.
The drawback's far from minor in most (non-Limited/Commander) formats.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I knew they had to have some sort of answer for the indestructible enchantments, but I didn't think it'd be as cheap as the lesser of them and common.

Nice Erebos, bro. Tap 3, exile it. Go.

The drawback's far from minor in most (non-Limited/Commander) formats.

Card valuations are a different story, but if you have any kind of board presence at all (ie, a creature bigger than 2/3) and more than 5 life, the drawback is negligible.

It's similar to Path to Exile (note: I am not suggesting that they have an overall comparable power level). You would rather not use it early on some tiny creature, but you sure are glad to have it when people are dropping dragons and angels on you.

Lucario

trying to work on a gimmick deck where nearly everything has alternate casting costs now, which is what the silly jund list above is a draft of

lotleth is a 2 drop against decks with limited removal or if you wanna trade with an aggressive 1drop, 3 drop otherwise

ooze is basically an x-spell who you don't play until there's a creature in the 'yard if you suspect magma jet

etc, etc. I don't think it'll be too competitive, I just really like the idea of being able to pace myself depending on the matchup. Will be a good deck to improve myself as a player with if the choices are deep enough.

Also, there are insane things to be done with Cerberus in a list like this. Never running out of plays is pretty boss.

Also, someone has datamined MTGO beta.

MTGsalvation is getting the full spoiler. There are a lot of one drop enchantments and low cost instants popping up.

His face/mask thing has a similar shape to the King.

burger-king-king.jpg
Tymaret-the-Murder-King-Theros-Spoiler.jpg

I actually like this guy. Well, both of those creepy kings. But as for the Magic card, I could definitely see throwing a couple of him into my B/R deck. He could turn the creatures into shock spells later in the game as a finisher.

Yeef

Shimmering Grotto analog. How strange. Seems weird to have it when Grotto was just in M14.

I would love to have a higher res set of images, because I'm too tired to read that tiny tiny font.

Yeef

Better pictures on salvation.

Mogis' Marauders is a bomb in limited.

Dragon Mantle is a nice Firebreathing upgrade.

Warrior's Lesson is pretty good. Drawing 2 cards for one mana is always great. Better still if one of the creatures is the blue heroic dude that draws you a card when targeted.

Also, it seems like there's a lot more counter spells than in a typical large set. I may just be imagining it though.

After checking, it looks like it has more counter spells than most recent large sets, but so did RTR and Gatecrash.

Crocodile

Shimmering Grotto analog. How strange. Seems weird to have it when Grotto was just in M14.

I would love to have a higher res set of images, because I'm too tired to read that tiny tiny font.

I would have preferred a Terramorphic Expanse analog, especially since we are losing Evolving Wilds soon.

zoukka

4 booster sealeds are money. Can't believe they used to be free to play...

Also picked 6 mythics out of my three last tourneys, among which Archangel, Garruk and Chandra :b

Theros set design seems a little wonky from a Limited perspective. I'm having a really hard time getting a read on how it will play. I thought devotion was going to be a bigger part of the limited format, pushing mono-colored drafting, but that doesn't appear to be the case. And there are a ton of auras, but a lot of them seem to be terrible. Heroic aggro looks pretty strong though.

I'm definitely very curious to draft it. It looks to be quite different.

Top Bottom