• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Bump for new news, the mythic land from Dragon's Maze has been leaked. It's bad. Like really bad. Like it doesn't even seem good in EDH.

Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add (1) to your mana pool.
3, T , Return ~ to your hand: Search your library for a Gate card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. If you control ten or more Gates with different names, you win the game.

I'm glad I can get my disappointment for this mythic out of the way now...

kirblar

I'm glad I can get my disappointment for this mythic out of the way now...
This Mythic is actually going to be at the normal "Large set" rarity, so it will be more rare than other Mythics in the set. I think its mediocreness is actually intentional because of that.

Bump for new news, the mythic land from Dragon's Maze has been leaked. It's bad. Like really bad. Like it doesn't even seem good in EDH.

Land
3, T , Return ~ to your hand: Search your library for a Gate card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. If you control ten or more Gates with different names, you win the game.

I'm glad they added on the ETB tapped clause on there. Otherwise this would be wayyyy too broken *rolls eyes*

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lol, different names.

Ahahaha, nice troll Wizard.

Lucario

Land

Being returned to your hand as part of the cost is extremely upsetting. It could've at least been passable with deserted temple otherwise!

At least it's a wincon for 60-land atogatog.

EDIT: "different names" ffs

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Without the different names part, what's the point?

Oh I know it wouldn't make sense if you could do 4 of the same gates. But I think that clause brings it from borderline unplayable to completely unplayable.

bigkrev

Man, they can't even give that the "return to your hand at end of turn" that Thawing has, so there is a possibility of abusing this?

kirblar

Man, they can't even give that the "return to your hand at end of turn" that Thawing has, so there is a possibility of abusing this?
That wording's just simply antiquated and actually terrible in light of the new trigger rules in competitive play. (Delayed triggers = oh god avoid if possible now.)

PsionBolt

That wording's just simply antiquated and actually terrible in light of the new trigger rules in competitive play. (Delayed triggers = oh god avoid if possible now.)

I don't really think this is true... I mean, we just got Voidwalk this set, and Grave Betrayal in the last one. Before that there was Loyal Cathar, and so on. Even Venser wasn't that long ago, really.

Lucario

I think they were afraid of making an EDH staple, even a casual one, rarer than any other mythic in a small set. If the trigger was at end of turn (or even not part of the cost), it would've been a ramp engine with multiple popular untap effects. Still not fantastic, but something every budget 5-color deck would play.

As-is, its only real use is to be a land-based win condition that doesn't use the combat step. Definitely a valid replacement for scapeshift + faith's reward + lotus cobra + amulet of vigor + pirannah marsh + grim backwoods.

EDIT: forgot dust bowl, strip mine, and a few other lands you need to grab with scapeshift.

I BUILD BAD DECKS ON PURPOSE OKAY

OnPoint

Land

Come on. This is a joke, right?

...right?

Everyone knows the best PTs are

Legacy
Modern
Standard

in that order. Pros talking about draft order is entertaining. Watching them play their draft pools is not.

I like the new land. I much prefer Mythics to be quirky build-around cards rather than tournament staples. Helps keep the costs down when the good cards sit at Uncommon and Rare.

Yeef

Conjurer's Closet is better then voidwalk for that since you don't actually have to be dealing combat damage to trigger it.
Deadeye Navigator is also good, but the point was that it's an awful win condition.

I wonder when they'll finally print a card that says "all enter the battlefield abilities of permanents on the battlefield trigger right now." You know it's coming eventually.

Hex

Banned
Deadeye Navigator is also good, but the point was that it's an awful win condition.

I wonder when they'll finally print a card that says "all enter the battlefield abilities of permanents on the battlefield trigger right now." You know it's coming eventually.

Or simply "Flicker all permanents that you control" or of course in this new MtG age it would be "Exile all permanents that you control, then return all permanents exiled this way into the battlefield under your control"

ultron87

Too bad for us working blokes. Who the hell has Friday off to watch MTG???? And how do I get that job???

I just have the audio running in the background with headphones. Or I would if I didn't really need to concentrate on work today.

The display of what is in the player's hand is pretty nice.

PT drafts used to be boring as anything, but ever since they started filming the drafts themselves, it got a lot more fun to watch. The Player's Championship cube drafts were especially fun to watch.

Went to a local legacy tournament at my lgs. I played Punishing Jund, since I know the deck well and love playing it. 11 people, prizes down to 8th (top 4 played to divvy the order, then 5-8 purely on standings) with the meta as such:

2 jund
1 nic fit
3 12 post (all full-on with Candleabra's)
1 rug
1 mono white aggro stax
1 bant enchantments
1 American Delver
1 Enchantress

In order, I played against the other jund player (0-1), a 12 post (0-1-1), got a bye (1-1-1), then Enchantress (2-1-1) to make 5th (the other jund split the top 2, so my breakers were great). The prizes were insane (he definitely lost money on the event since we were expecting more people), with them being Underground Sea, Tundra, Savannah, Taiga, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Gaea's Cradle, Tarmogyf, and a pair of Legends Sylvan Library-Full Art Altered up for grabs. I picked up the Jace, and since I had loaned out American Delver and he split the finals with the other Jund he threw me a draft set. Good night for me aside from nearly dying on the way home driving through the snow.

Where the hell is this store, I need to go here for prizes

Wichu

Land

Hahaha. I want to make a really janky deck with this. It's actually faster than Thawing Glaciers, as it returns to your hand straight away - you can play, search the next turn, and immediately replay it. Thawing Glaciers can only be used once every two turns.

Speaking of jank, I built an Esper cipher deck on Cockatrice. Invisible Stalker + Silverblade Paladin + cipher = profit.

Since "blocked except by two or more creatures" seems to be Red's evasion, I think they should go ahead and keyword it as Madcap Skills.

Pyreheart Wolf
2R
Creature-Wolf
Undying
Whenever Pyreheart Wolf attacks, each creature you control has madcap skills until end of turn.
1/1

Hex

Banned
Since "blocked except by two or more creatures" seems to be Red's evasion, I think they should go ahead and keyword it as Madcap Skills.

Pyreheart Wolf
2R
Creature-Wolf
Undying
Whenever Pyreheart Wolf attacks, each creature you control has madcap skills until end of turn.
1/1

Pyreheart should have had haste, would have been so so so so so good.

sammich

Ok i want to try this deck idea. Standard deck. Revolves around lands and using them.

4 Skarrg Guildmage(For animated lands)
4 rancors
4 farseeks
4 Rangers path
3 borborygmos enraged
4 blasphemous acts
3 Boros Reckoners(as i love the dude)

Throw in a few frenzied tillings, ground assaults. Prob is if my guildmages die.. im screwed. Maybe some r/g or r or g discard cards to do extra damage. Any ideas to help me out? Additional colours shouldnt be a prob as i can use mainly any land, though G/R is the main focus and for animate. Maybe a couple gruul charms to make them unblockable.

Top Bottom