• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

My issue with her isn't her, it's with the decisionmakers who decided a "community" based invite was a good idea. (I have no issue with rewarding community-building behavior, but feel PT invites are a completely inappropriate means of doing so.)

I do too but considering how well she's done so far it's a lot harder to care. If they did this and she fell flat on her face then wizards should be getting a lot of flak but so far she's been really good.

Edit: Wait, she writes for TCGplayer? No wonder her face looked familiar.

kirblar

This situation looks a lot different if you're actually trying to Q. The spots are highly competitive/very limited/there are a LOT of good players left in the cold each time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This situation looks a lot different if you're actually trying to Q. The spots are highly competitive/very limited/there are a LOT of good players left in the cold each time.

Yeah, I feel like "well at least she's doing good" is a bad way of approaching this. A lot of players could do well but don't have the time to commit to the grind or just had a bad streak, and decisions to invite "community contributors" marginalizes both the efforts of players who won their spots and the misfortunes of those who were left out.

I have a stupid question. If you have an evolve creature that is currently a 2/2 and you have a forest and a mountain and you play a flinthoof boar, is the +1/+1 something that goes on the stack? I'm just curious how it works, I'm assuming the evolve creature get's the +1/+1 because flinthoof would enter the field as a 3/3, not get the bonus after coming in, right?

ultron87

The last draft round on the pro tour is finishing up, so Standard will be starting up again soon: http://www.twitch.tv/magicprotour

I have a stupid question. If you have an evolve creature that is currently a 2/2 and you have a forest and a mountain and you play a flinthoof boar, is the +1/+1 something that goes on the stack? I'm just curious how it works, I'm assuming the evolve creature get's the +1/+1 because flinthoof would enter the field as a 3/3, not get the bonus after coming in, right?

Yeah, it comes in as a 3/3 so you'll get your evolve. Same thing with stuff that enters with +1/+1 counters on it.

Lucario

The finthoof boar's power boost is a static effect; it doesn't use the stack.

It enters the battlefield as a 3/3, the evolve trigger on the 2/2 will trigger, and the evolve creature will get a +1/+1 counter.

The last draft round on the pro tour is finishing up, so Standard will be starting up again soon: http://www.twitch.tv/magicprotour

Yeah, it comes in as a 3/3 so you'll get your evolve. Same thing with stuff that enters with +1/+1 counters on it.

The finthoof boar's power boost is a static effect; it doesn't use the stack.

It enters the battlefield as a 3/3, the evolve trigger on the 2/2 will trigger, and the evolve creature will get a +1/+1 counter.

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
By the way, I just destroyed faces all night with a G/R aggro. Madcap Skills and Alpha Authority on Burning Tree is amazing. I need 4 more Ash Zealots though.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Last week I read Kiblers article on starcity about changes that need to be made to the format, isn't raising the point levels the exact opposite of what he thinks needs to happen?

Hex

Banned
By the way, I just destroyed faces all night with a G/R aggro. Madcap Skills and Alpha Authority on Burning Tree is amazing. I need 4 more Ash Zealots though.

YGM one more time, made an updated offer.
Zealots are pretty strong, I am surprised they have not received more love.

f0rk

Last week I read Kiblers article on starcity about changes that need to be made to the format, isn't raising the point levels the exact opposite of what he thinks needs to happen?

I think they said there would be changes to pro points in April

Some dude just conceded game 1 straight away so he can go straight to boarding...

Hex

Banned
What kind of shitty sleeves is Wafo-Tapa using?
They looked odd when shuffling and they look like saran wrap with the glare.

f0rk

What kind of shitty sleeves is Wafo-Tapa using?
They looked odd when shuffling and they look like saran wrap with the glare.

His deck is like all foil, I can't tell if it's that or the sleeves.

Wafo-Tapa seems to always be on my kind of deck, loved the 4 colour modern control deck he designed.

f0rk

I think he could have been a bit more aggressive and just attack. Don't know why he was scared of trading Snapcasters when he had that much power on board.

Hex

Banned
Dual screening with SCG stream and PT stream is giving me a headache I think lol.
It is funny that we were talking about how most SCG people were better but when they are bad they are bad and right now they have one of my least favorite (Adrian Sullivan). I like his entheusiasm but he really does not know what he is talking about most of the time.
And check yo pms WW.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Argh, since when (and why) did Gyre Sage quintuple in price? I was planning on getting one for my EDH deck :/

Saito made a deck with it. The rest is history.

I'm kind of confused at what happened in the Shiels-DeTora game. DeTora had an angel, Shiels had spear and mortar. Why couldn't he just nuke the angel when she played it?

EDIT: Nm, I forgot Mortars was a sorcery.

bigkrev

Every time I see some playing for a top8 on the Pro Tour make a horrible punt (How do you forget to Evolve your guy?!?!) I feel better about the mistakes I make.

f0rk

Efro seemed to do a great job of thinking through his opponents possible draws before that attack, solid play.

The players on this last feature match are commentating themselves we really don't need the wotc guys.

If primordial hydra comes out with corpsejack already on the field, does it come out with double counters?

Or do the counters only double each turn afterwards

An-Det

Fuck yeah, Melissa ended at 3rd place in the swiss. We're all rooting for her here in our home region to take it down.

Edit: and Eric Froehlich top 8'ed as well? Haha wow, this PT couldn't have gone any better for providing proof that the invite system is broken.

New PT to go with the Core Set releases, starting in 2014.

That's awesome news. It doesn't entirely fix the problems, but it certainly is a good start.

it comes in with double

Amazing...

Yeah I just played a 3 man free for all. Summoned Primordial Hydra with corpsejack out, got 10 counters on him instantly. No one had the ability to get rid of him so the next time my turn rolled around, he got 20 more counters on him and I sacrificed him with Jarad to do 30 damage to both the other players.

This game is wonderful sometimes

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amazing...

Yeah I just played a 3 man free for all. Summoned Primordial Hydra with corpsejack out, got 10 counters on him instantly. No one had the ability to get rid of him so the next time my turn rolled around, he got 20 more counters on him and I sacrificed him with Jarad to do 30 damage to both the other players.

This game is wonderful sometimes

Look up a card called Doubling Season. Then cry at the price

Fuck yeah, Melissa ended at 3rd place in the swiss. We're all rooting for her here in our home region to take it down.

Edit: and Eric Froehlich top 8'ed as well? Haha wow, this PT couldn't have gone any better for providing proof that the invite system is broken.

That's awesome news. It doesn't entirely fix the problems, but it certainly is a good start.

Wait, Froelich is a poker player? :lol Wow.

kirblar

Wait, Froelich is a poker player? :lol Wow.
He and Williams got back into the PT system via special invites as they're both WSOP bracelet winners and had prior high MTG finishes. They're both qualified via normal methods now. (I actually went to school with Eric and he was one of the ones who taught me how to play back in 5th grade.)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I've been working on a reckoner-less naya deck and this is what I've got so far:

ikzE2eEYylbZM.jpg

Seems pretty solid so far. Trying to find the right mix of removal, what's there is working pretty good though.

Main thing I've learned from this deck is that Ghor-Clan Rampager is the real freaking deal.

WanderingWind

Came in to brag about my home brew B/W zombies. Turn on SCG Live. B/W zombies in finals.

Ghost Dad is awesome in this deck.

f0rk

Oh wow Orzhov Charm is really good in it as well, getting 1 Zombie back after a boardwipe to enable the Gravecrawlers.

y2dvd

I don't understand why he didn't just attack with Ghost Dad when it was just a beast token and a Thragtusk on the field and he had Orzhov Charm in hand. Instead, he Orzhov charm Thragtusk and passed turn. To me attacking with Ghost Dad, you can either get in free dmg if he doesn't block, or opponent double block and in response, cast Orzhov Charm on Thragtusk, getting a two for one, or he just blocks with one creature, if it's Thragtusk, then use Orzhov Charm, if it's the Beast token, you took it out for free.

Am I missing something here?

kirblar

I don't understand why he didn't just attack with Ghost Dad when it was just a beast token and a Thragtusk on the field and he had Orzhov Charm in hand. Instead, he Orzhov charm Thragtusk and passed turn. To me attacking with Ghost Dad, you can either get in free dmg if he doesn't block, or opponent double block and in response, cast Orzhov Charm on Thragtusk, getting a two for one, or he just blocks with one creature, if it's Thragtusk, then use Orzhov Charm, if it's the Beast token, you took it out for free.

Am I missing something here?
Nope. Just a bad play, assuming the Naya player was tapped out.

WanderingWind

Fuck all the haters. I really want Melissa to take this down.

Hell yeah. Either way she justified her invite.

I'm having a ton of fun putting together a deck for each of the guilds today. The hardest decisions is that Izzet and Azorius wants Snapcaster and Azorius and Selesnya want Restoration Angel. I think Snap belongs more in Azorius and Selesnya needs Resto a bit more. Orzhov was the easiest deck to put together, but I ended up with 4 lingering souls that didn't really have a place. Simic was hard as hell to put together too.

Top Bottom