• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

f0rk

Standard is starting. Sam Black seems to be on a brew with Cartel Aristocrat and Reckoner? Martin Juza on UWR Flash I think.

Casters are so bad

y2dvd

Ok i want to try this deck idea. Standard deck. Revolves around lands and using them.

4 Skarrg Guildmage(For animated lands)
4 rancors
4 farseeks
4 Rangers path
3 borborygmos enraged
4 blasphemous acts
3 Boros Reckoners(as i love the dude)

Throw in a few frenzied tillings, ground assaults. Prob is if my guildmages die.. im screwed. Maybe some r/g or r or g discard cards to do extra damage. Any ideas to help me out? Additional colours shouldnt be a prob as i can use mainly any land, though G/R is the main focus and for animate. Maybe a couple gruul charms to make them unblockable.

Iirc, Gruul Charm just targets one creature. Might as well replace it with Mizzit Mortar instead and kill that creature off. Doesn't Blasphemous Acts also targets your own creatures? Sounds like a bad idea to include them. Might as well run Kessig Wolfrun in a R/G deck.

sammich

Iirc, Gruul Charm just targets one creature. Might as well replace it with Mizzit Mortar instead and kill that creature off. Doesn't Blasphemous Acts also targets your own creatures? Sounds like a bad idea to include them. Might as well run Kessig Wolfrun in a R/G deck.

Id use the gruul charm mainly for creatures without flying cant block this turn. Blasphemous act does, but since my lands arent creatures they wont get affected(Other than the guildmage or bory). Reckoner i dont care as the opponent takes 13 to the face and it usually will 2 for 1 anything on the board. Bory is mainly there for shenanigans where Aetherize or something that makes me pick up all my attacking creatures(Lands) that way with bory i can just discard them and damage to the face.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow, harvest pyre and reckoner, that's just silly.

f0rk

Main decked Harvest Pyre to cast on his own Boros Reckoner for 14 life kill lol
I guess he has Blasphemous Act as well.

Still don't know what Sam Black needs sac outlets for.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hope you guys weren't hoping for Reckoner to go down in price as now even the control decks are playing him.

f0rk

End of turn Orzhov Charm to return Doomed Traveller then hit for 1 is an even more hilarious way of winning a game than kill my own Boros Reckoner

So, if I understand the new trigger rules correctly, you don't have to announce your triggers until it would affect the board state?

Also, lol at the stream monsters going crazy over a girl appearing on-screen.

ultron87

He attacked with Boros Reckoner with an Exalted trigger. He didn't say it was 4/4 until Martin Juza blocked with a Restoration Angel and took 3 to the face.

Very nice. I can appreciate that kind of "got you" since it is the cards working how they say they do instead of the opposite.

So, if I understand the new trigger rules correctly, you don't have to announce your triggers until it would affect the board state?

For "invisible" stuff, yeah. Things like Jace +1, Exalted, or Pyreheart Wolf are considered to have taken effect unless you do something like take the wrong amount of damage or allow your opponent to single block something.

y2dvd

Id use the gruul charm mainly for creatures without flying cant block this turn. Blasphemous act does, but since my lands arent creatures they wont get affected(Other than the guildmage or bory). Reckoner i dont care as the opponent takes 13 to the face and it usually will 2 for 1 anything on the board. Bory is mainly there for shenanigans where Aetherize or something that makes me pick up all my attacking creatures(Lands) that way with bory i can just discard them and damage to the face.

That got me thinking, if you do Blasphemous Act and Boros Charm your Reckoner to give it indestruction, can you still assign the 13 pt of dmg it received? Actually, Boros Charm would give all of your creatures indestruction...

It seems decks are involving more and more creatures and less and less spells. Boardwipe with Blasphemous Acts and keep your own creatures alive with Boros Charm doesn't sound so bad.

Negator

That got me thinking, if you do Blasphemous Act and Boros Charm your Reckoner to give it indescruction, can you still assign the 13 pt of dmg it received?

Yes. Indestructible creatures don't have the damage they take prevented, they just can't die.

f0rk

You don't even need the boros charm they should be on less than 13 by the time you can cast blasphemous act

Conley Woods has Mutilate and Griselbrand in hand I think I'm in love

f0rk

So the meta seems to be WR Reckoner with either U or B and Esper control with maybe some Jund thrown in. Is Reckoner good enough in these decks to make Naya bad?

f0rk

I imagine that Reckoner would just find a way into the Naya builds instead.

It had but I think it is much better against all those RG 2/2s than the cards the other 2 versions are playing.

It seems R/G is all over the swiss from the net deckers who won't make the top tables.

Hex

Banned
WotC play by play sucks.
I believe I said the same thing the last time that I watched one of these.
Say what you will about SGC but at least their play by play is USUALLY more entertaining (and knowledgeable)

Haly

Get 2 revelations knocked out by Slaughter, win by mill anyway.

Sooooo good.

f0rk

WotC play by play sucks.
Say what you will about SGC but at least their play by play is USUALLY more entertaining (and knowledgeable)

SCG is better but it's still bad, they tend to be obnoxious and think they know what they are talking about when they really don't. I mute all of them except Marshall he isn't too bad.

Hex

Banned
SCG is better but it's still bad, they tend to be obnoxious and think they know what they are talking about when they really don't. I mute all of them except Marshall he isn't too bad.

Yeah, that is when it gets tedious.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I find almost everything about the SCG tourney presentations to be superior to wizards stuff, the only problem is that the quality of players at the SCG events is crazy low so you see all kinds of stupid misplays and nonsense that makes it a pain to watch.

An-Det

WotC play by play sucks.

That's the thing I give the SCG props for, their commentators are on average at least better than the official wotc ones (though their lows are so bad). Anyone that truly knows this shit is playing this weekend, so since SCG's provide no pro circuit value they can get the excellent people behind the stream. Guys like BDM are great, but the gap between good coverage and pro player coverage is huge.

I just wish the WOTC PT top 8 streams didn't float around so much showing the room and surroundings. So fucking annoying.

f0rk

Hearing what the players are talking about after the game would be 1000 times more interesting than what the commentators have to say.

OnPoint

Hearing what the players are talking about after the game would be 1000 times more interesting than what the commentators have to say.

Yeah, I liked him asking why he didn't make a play there. I really wish they'd let us hear the game audio more often.

Haly

Neat, the stream was kind of disgusting to read but then again it's a typical competitive game stream whenever a female shows up.

kirblar

Neat, the stream was kind of disgusting to read but then again it's a typical competitive game stream whenever a female shows up.
There's a lot of legitimate frustration about the way she got that invite that sadly is running into the illegitimate misogyny in the world, resulting in a toxic mix.

What happened? I've never heard of her but nice to see a girl at the PT. I was thinking it was a shame there weren't any a month or two ago.

There's a lot of legitimate frustration about the way she got that invite that sadly is running into the illegitimate misogyny in the world, resulting in a toxic mix.

How did she get the invite?

Haly

Can you elaborate? Or point me to a blog post/article?

Semi-related: Does anyone know how to view the event coverage as a single page instead of multiple pages? I remember this was the norm for a few other PT/GPs.
What happened? I've never heard of her but nice to see a girl at the PT. I was thinking it was a shame there weren't any a month or two ago.
Misogyny on one end, white knights on the other, a minority of reasonable people being drowned out by the shit.

Can you elaborate? Or point me to a blog post/article?

Semi-related: Does anyone know how to view the event coverage as a single page instead of multiple pages? I remember this was the norm for a few other PT/GPs.
Misogyny on one end, white knights on the other, a minority of reasonable people being drowned out by the shit.

Sadly it's to be expected that that would be the reaction. Especially with the amount of girls on the pro tour. I'm curious about how she was invited though.

kirblar

She got the invite for "community involvement", apparently due to working with the judge program in Puerto Rico in lieu of playing competitively.

f0rk

She does well at GPs and stuff though right? I know there was a bit of a fuss because they gave away some invites to people who came very close to qualifying more than once and it made a load of grinders cry because they came 2nd at 2 PTQs or some bullshit

kirblar

Ah, have they ever done that for other players?
Not that I'm aware. Only other similar invites have been the "Celeb" poker player invites - Williams/Froelich - but they were due to them winning WSOP bracelets after having had previous GP/PT finals appearances, and were obvious attention grabs. People didn't like those either, but the fact that it was a transparent marketing ploy lessened the sting.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, well, she's making the haters suck her proverbial dick, so I'm enjoying the hate personally. Nothing like a chick riding perfect on some fools to inflame the nerd rage of a thousand scorned advances.

Hope she wins out, looks into the camera and just goes "Y'all my bitches now"

Hex

Banned
Yeah, well, she's making the haters suck her proverbial dick, so I'm enjoying the hate personally. Nothing like a chick riding perfect on some fools to inflame the nerd rage of a thousand scorned advances.

Hope she wins out, looks into the camera and just goes "Y'all my bitches now"

Agreed.
I think that the "oh look I'm a pro" club needs to be taken down a few notches.

kirblar

My issue with her isn't her, it's with the decisionmakers who decided a "community" based invite was a good idea. (I have no issue with rewarding community-building behavior, but feel PT invites are a completely inappropriate means of doing so.)

Jarate

Banned
as long as she's good i don't see the problem

If she's good enough at the game to compete, then it's fine, althoyugh if she sucked, it would be a travesty

Top Bottom