• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Packs are really like lottery tickets. Some people like thinking they'll win it big, but most don't. After a while of failing and getting free tickets, the people that have been doing it for a while tend to get bored with it and save their money.

But I have stupendous luck and just enjoy the lottery feel. Plus, I build an insane amount of decks to fuck around with and need the commons, uncommons, etc. It's not as big of a losing proposition as some think. Until GTC. It definitely is now.

Going to try and get at least a box of Modern Masters to crack

Me too. But the fact that they straight up stopped talking about it tells me they're either about to expand the reach of the product line or it's so low that they're just trying to push it out quietly later on to minimize the anger from people trying to find 15 dollar booster packs.

f0rk

Me too. But the fact that they straight up stopped talking about it tells me they're either about to expand the reach of the product line or it's so low that they're just trying to push it out quietly later on to minimize the anger from people trying to find 15 dollar booster packs.

I don't know if them being quiet means anything, they always release a product (Archenemy 2010, Commander 2011, Planechase 2012) at that time and this is how they handle it.

alternade

Hey guys, thinking of running this for FNM and would like any advice

LAND
3x Evoling Wilds
4x Glacial Fortress
2x Godless Shrine
2x Hallowed Fountain
4x Islands
4x Isolated Chapel
2x Plains
3x Swamp

CREATURES
3x Dungeon Geists
1x Geist of Saint Traft
3x High Priest of Penance
2 x Shimain Specter

SPELLS
4x Azorius charm
2x Blind Obedience
2x Cyclonic Rift
2x Detention Sphere
2x Dissipate
4x Negate
3x Oblivion Ring
2x Supreme Verdict
3x Think Twice

Its only at 57 cards now because im still debating ideas. I don't have any Planeswalker that I own but a Sorin or Jace, Memory Adept would be nice and I might buy 1 if you guys think it would help. Im also thinking of adding lingering souls for chump blocking and stalling until I can get out my creatures.

WanderingWind

I don't know if them being quiet means anything, they always release a product (Archenemy 2010, Commander 2011, Planechase 2012) at that time and this is how they handle it.

I wasn't really paying attention to Archenemy, but they were much more vocal about commander and planechase, or at least it seemed that way.

Packs are really like lottery tickets. Some people like thinking they'll win it big, but most don't. After a while of failing and getting free tickets, the people that have been doing it for a while tend to get bored with it and save their money.

This is why I draft, and I always draft. I kill 2 birds with one stone: I open packs and if I win the lottery, I keep that card. If I don't, I try to build a deck that can win me more packs. It is win - win.

ultron87

Its only at 57 cards now because im still debating ideas. I don't have any Planeswalker that I own but a Sorin or Jace, Memory Adept would be nice and I might buy 1 if you guys think it would help. Im also thinking of adding lingering souls for chump blocking and stalling until I can get out my creatures.

Lingering Souls would probably be a good addition. Though if someone is randomly packing the -1/-1 token enchantment in their sideboard you'd be kind of in trouble. If you add more spirits maybe try out Drogskol Captain if you have any.

The think is that it looks like you are trying to stall the game out till you can win somehow in the long game but I don't see any really great win conditions besides some medium size flyers.

rCIZZLE

Going to try and get at least a box of Modern Masters to crack

This is really the only way I'll buy a sealed box. Hopefully they start spoiling it before the release numbers are announced so I can determine if the ~3 mythics and 21 rares will be worth the investment.

f0rk

This is really the only way I'll buy a sealed box. Hopefully they start spoiling it before the release numbers are announced so I can determine if the ~3 mythics and 21 rares will be worth the investment.

If you want to play modern there are uncommons and commons that cost money right now that will get reprinted. Their price will come down but it will still be better than what you get from most sets.
Also I can't imagine there being only 3 desirable mythics. Goyf, Clique and Dark Confidant at least

alternade

Lingering Souls would probably be a good addition. Though if someone is randomly packing the -1/-1 token enchantment in their sideboard you'd be kind of in trouble. If you add more spirits maybe try out Drogskol Captain if you have any.

The think is that it looks like you are trying to stall the game out till you can win somehow in the long game but I don't see any really great win conditions besides some medium size flyers.

Thats what I thought too. Originally I was trying to build a control deck, but ive never done it before. I guess without PWalkers, you really cant make a control deck now?

WanderingWind

Thats what I thought too. Originally I was trying to build a control deck, but ive never done it before. I guess without PWalkers, you really cant make a control deck now?

Sure you can! Sphinx's Revelation is pretty necessary though and are too expensive for just playing around with.

rCIZZLE

If you want to play modern there are uncommons and commons that cost money right now that will get reprinted. Their price will come down but it will still be better than what you get from most sets.
Also I can't imagine there being only 3 desirable mythics. Goyf, Clique and Dark Confidant at least

I'm saying the average number of mythics in a box is 3 so I'd want the average mythic to be worth a bit. :p

Hoping they're looking to use all modern staples and not just the typical several chase rares/mythics with a bunch of filler. Like if they waste spots on M10 lands or bad planeswalkers that'd be depressing.

alternade

Sure you can! Sphinx's Revelation is pretty necessary though and are too expensive for just playing around with.

Yeah I wanted to get some but I cant really justify spending that much on a playset. So is current Esper control primary win con milling your opponent? From all the latest top Esper decks ive seen, they all pretty much have next to no creatures.

WanderingWind

Yeah I wanted to get some but I cant really justify spending that much on a playset. So is current Esper control primary win con milling your opponent? From all the latest top Esper decks ive seen, they all pretty much have next to no creatures.

The meta is all jumbled right now, but yeah. Nephalia Drownyard being pretty important too. The other win con seemed to be landing a Geist and just protecting it while gaining stupid amounts of life and drawing stupid amounts of cards.

Hero

I wouldn't expect to win with drownyard anytime soon seeing as how the past few events have all had a bunch of Red/X aggro decks.

Also Dragon's Maze is the third set of the block, I expect some insane shit since it's a small set and will have the least amount of time possible to warp Standard, much like New Phyrexia.

Hex

Banned
DM Pre-release is the same weekend that I am heading to Orlando to go to Disney for a week.
Going to hit the midnight pre-release, go home and shower and round everyone up and then head out lol.

Drogskol Reavers are still cheap, right? That guys seems like a late game finisher for you. Also could consider a copy of Runechanter's Pike to turn any of your dudes, even Lingering Souls tokens, into a potential finisher. It's gonna be hard to survive into the late game with only a pair of Supreme Verdict as your sweepers.

Hex

Banned

If you are set to those colors, you should really go with a spirit/token build.
Right now you have no real end game.

ultron87

Drogskol Reavers are still cheap, right? That guys seems like a late game finisher for you. Also could consider a copy of Runechanter's Pike to turn any of your dudes, even Lingering Souls tokens, into a potential finisher. It's gonna be hard to survive into the late game with only a pair of Supreme Verdict as your sweepers.

I've been running Reaver in a WU control deck and it seems alright. It actually dodges the majority of the removal in the format which is nice. Though I haven't played anywhere close to enough competitive Standard to make any universal claims.

The meta is all jumbled right now, but yeah. Nephalia Drownyard being pretty important too. The other win con seemed to be landing a Geist and just protecting it while gaining stupid amounts of life and drawing stupid amounts of cards.

Well that's just one deck for now. And with less sweepers, it's not really surprising that Geist has gotten even better than he was.

f0rk

Geist isn't better than he was, the aggro decks seem pretty dominant and don't give a shit about him.

In Esper Control if he's there at all it's a sideboard card for control mirrors.

Yup, I was hoping it would jump in price but it never really did.

kirblar

Geist isn't better than he was, the aggro decks seem pretty dominant and don't give a shit about him.

In Esper Control if he's there at all it's a sideboard card for control mirrors.
Hands of Binding + Hexproof is a real thing.

An-Det

Went to a local legacy tournament at my lgs. I played Punishing Jund, since I know the deck well and love playing it. 11 people, prizes down to 8th (top 4 played to divvy the order, then 5-8 purely on standings) with the meta as such:

2 jund
1 nic fit
3 12 post (all full-on with Candleabra's)
1 rug
1 mono white aggro stax
1 bant enchantments
1 American Delver
1 Enchantress

In order, I played against the other jund player (0-1), a 12 post (0-1-1), got a bye (1-1-1), then Enchantress (2-1-1) to make 5th (the other jund split the top 2, so my breakers were great). The prizes were insane (he definitely lost money on the event since we were expecting more people), with them being Underground Sea, Tundra, Savannah, Taiga, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Gaea's Cradle, Tarmogyf, and a pair of Legends Sylvan Library-Full Art Altered up for grabs. I picked up the Jace, and since I had loaned out American Delver and he split the finals with the other Jund he threw me a draft set. Good night for me aside from nearly dying on the way home driving through the snow.

WanderingWind

This morning I was thinking of MTG and thought listening to a podcast about MTG that wasn't MaRo would be a good idea.

Holy fuck I almost fell asleep 3 times listening to something called the Eh Team cast. These guys are all so pro that they can't talk about anything, or else they'd be giving away trade secrets and whatnot. So, it's just 4 guys babbling about bullshit and going "well, I'd like to talk about Jund, but we can't because PTQ."

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGG.

An-Det

Ya, I'm pretty surprised they didn't cut some prizes if there's that few of people.

We all were. I mean, even prizes to top four would be a loss (entry was 25), but this really shouldn't have been a random Wednesday night thing with these prizes. We're trying to get weekly stuff going though, hopefully this will help.

f0rk

This morning I was thinking of MTG and thought listening to a podcast about MTG that wasn't MaRo would be a good idea.

Holy fuck I almost fell asleep 3 times listening to something called the Eh Team cast. These guys are all so pro that they can't talk about anything, or else they'd be giving away trade secrets and whatnot. So, it's just 4 guys babbling about bullshit and going "well, I'd like to talk about Jund, but we can't because PTQ."

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGG.

I would understand not talking about PT decks but getting that worked up over a PTQ is pretty funny. They sound like the kind who think they are bordering on pro so they really act it up.

WanderingWind

I would understand not talking about PT decks but getting that worked up over a PTQ is pretty funny. They sound like the kind who think they are bordering on pro so they really act it up.

I think they're actual pros, but yeah. I get not wanting to talk about your super secret brew, but then why have a fucking hour and a half long podcast to talk about precisely nothing. Very infuriating when they started to get warmed up on a topic and just stop like, "Oh, well, one thing I'm very excited....oh wait lol can't talk about it."

f0rk

I think they're actual pros, but yeah. I get not wanting to talk about your super secret brew, but then why have a fucking hour and a half long podcast to talk about precisely nothing. Very infuriating when they started to get warmed up on a topic and just stop like, "Oh, well, one thing I'm very excited....oh wait lol can't talk about it."

They can't be that pro if they need to keep PTQ decks secret right? I don't really understand the higher levels of the pro point / invite system or whatever.

Yea, I can't imagine they are pro if they are worrying about PTQs

You'd think if you were pro you'd already have the invite and made it on the "train"

I would think they would be good enough to already be in than sweating PTQs to that extent... I haven't listened to any MTG podcasts but i assumed they can't be that good. Is it a weekly podcast or something?

I would think they would be good enough to already be in than sweating PTQs to that extent... I haven't listened to any MTG podcasts but i assumed they can't be that good. Is it a weekly podcast or something?

Even the consistent players that place well on SCG series but aren't on the gravy train wouldn't sweat over a PTQ.

I'd be switching podcasts if I were into that sort of thing.

The Eh Team is a bunch of Canadians shooting the shit about Magic. They're all just various levels of grinders who love playing the game but they certainly aren't pros. I find the podcast quite amusing, but I certainly don't listen to make myself better at Magic.

If you're looking for a podcast with actual information in it, Limited Resources is he best I've come across. It's almost exclusively about drafting, but a lot of the topics they cover are applicable in all formats.

The Eh Team is a bunch of Canadians shooting the shit about Magic. They're all just various levels of grinders who love playing the game but they certainly aren't pros. I find the podcast quite amusing, but I certainly don't listen to make myself better at Magic.

If you're looking for a podcast with actual information in it, Limited Resources is he best I've come across. It's almost exclusively about drafting, but a lot of the topics they cover are applicable in all formats.

Wandering Wind lied to us? I'M SHOCKED. :p

f0rk

Bump for new news, the mythic land from Dragon's Maze has been leaked. It's bad. Like really bad. Like it doesn't even seem good in EDH.

Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add (1) to your mana pool.
3, T , Return ~ to your hand: Search your library for a Gate card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. If you control ten or more Gates with different names, you win the game.

Top Bottom