• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87891643]70 for a playmat? Why[/QUOTE]

In the Yugioh secondary market, there are playmats that go for $300-500.

And $80-100 TI-8x calculator cases, $80 double deckboxes lol.

So I don't have time to really play constructed Magic any more these days, but I try to keep up with what Modern is doing because it still has a special place in my heart.

Have you see this 8-Forest Charbelcher combo deck? If you play casual Modern, or Modern FNM, or just want to screw around in the Tournament Practice room on MTGO, give this ridiculous pile a shot:

kjxyUJX.png

I need help streamlining this standard Vorosh idea:

4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Duskmantle Guildmage
4 Agent of the Fates
3 Wasteland Viper

4 Thoughtseize
3 Negate
2 Paranoid Delusions
2 Whispering Madness
3 Traumatize

2 Jace, Memory Adept

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Watery Grave
4 Breeding Pool
3 Temple of Mystery
3 Temple of Deceit
2 Swamp
2 Island

So what I'm trying to do is ramp into a Jace/Traumatize + Guildmage combo. Deathrite and Sylvan are my ramp, Agent is my battlefield control combined with the Vipers, Paranoid Delusions and Whispering Madness. The latter two also feed lands into graveyards for the DRS and keep my deck moving while also allowing some early shots from the Guildmage. Thoughtseize/Negate are to protect my combo and slow the game down.

I dunno. I think it's still too slow. Traumatize is an 8-mana combo, and Jace takes two turns. I don't know how to get up there fast enough.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
No, I'm wondering why YGO players would care enough about calculators for accessories to be made. Even Pokemon in its fad period didn't have anything that dumb

If I recall (4-5 years ago), Target sold these calculator cases for like $15(?) each. Besides storing TI-83s, there were pockets on the sides where you could stick in cards, and the case was big enough to store scrap paper, pens, and dice. I think a few "top" players at the time decided to sport it and then everybody wanted to be cool and start emulating. Eventually Target discontinued the cases and so prices went up. It was really dumb how everyone wanted one.

photo4.jpg

Back when I played YGO competitively, I kept life total on scrap paper. I never saw why people wanted to use calculators.

bigkrev

If I recall (4-5 years ago), Target sold these calculator cases for like $15(?) each. Besides storing TI-83s, there were pockets on the sides where you could stick in cards, and the case was big enough to store scrap paper, pens, and dice. I think a few "top" players at the time decided to sport it and then everybody wanted to be cool and start emulating. Eventually Target discontinued the cases and so prices went up. It was really dumb how everyone wanted one.

Back when I played YGO competitively, I kept life total on scrap paper. I never saw why people wanted to use calculators.

Huh. Never realized people would use a calculator for life totals. Seems kind of excessive.

rCIZZLE

Life total problems come up enough that I just can't use anything besides paper anymore. Being able to always walk through the changes to show exactly where inconsistencies occur is just too important.

An-Det

Life total problems come up enough that I just can't use anything besides paper anymore. Being able to always walk through the changes to show exactly where inconsistencies occur is just too important.

It took getting screwed over and not winning a foil Jace the Mind Sculptor to quickly learn that lesson for me. Now I only use other things if it's not a tournament, if it is then pen and paper trump all.

aku:jiki

You guys talking about the Tarmogoyf mat made me google that event and, apparently, they're also doing a pro-only 20 year anniversary draft at the same event. Have they said if they're going to film that for their youtube? It'd be awesome to see the pros draft beta packs...

On your deck: (Note, this is assuming you just have random recent cards to play with and aren't trying to be Standard legal, since you have that Conqueror's Pledge.)
Thanks a lot! I definitely agree with your suggestions as I'm aware that many of the cards can be replaced. For example, I'm not in love with the Wurm at all and the Summoner sounds like a much better replacement (or I might just go with something cheaper).

I realized that I can head to Gatherer and just filter for color and rule text so I found some potentials that would be sweet to add. Sucks that many of them were more expensive than I'd like to spend on a casual deck (meaning they were more than like $5)... Then again, RTR was such a fun set to open packs and make decks with that I think I'll buy another box of it.

I played a little bit of YGO in high school. Wrote a simple program for my TI-83 Calculator to keep track of both players life totals. (It even had a coin flipper!)

For Magic, I exclusively use pen and paper for tournaments, and spindowns for casual.

kirblar

Troll and Toad price mistake on almost all intro packs/cases
Intro deck = $5
Intro deck case = $48
Just bought all of their dragon's maze cases (11, lol) but feel free to give the rest a shot:

Reminder: each intro pack includes two packs.

http://www.trollandtoad.com/Specials+and+Lots/8801-5502-8812p1n10.html

edit: changed around my order, left GAF some DGM cases. Go for it :p
Aren't there 10 per case? So....I'm not seeing the benefit? You're essentially paying $90 for a box at 2.5 each, which lines up. The intro pack rares aren't worth much for a reason.

Lucario

Aren't there 10 per case? So....I'm not seeing the benefit? You're essentially paying $90 for a box at 2.5 each, which lines up. The intro pack rares aren't worth much for a reason.

Very easy to resell for $7-10 sealed each. Sets of 5 intro packs can fetch $40-50 on ebay pretty effortlessly.

Also, the exava deck has 2x guttersnipe and foil exava, chandra's phoenix foil is $5, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He used SSG for a turn 2 Vengeance after casting Faithless Looting. The feed cut out and cut in after he removed SSG so it was easy to miss.

I'm not familiar with the deck but as far as I can tell SSG is what turns it from a T3 combo to a T2 combo. Considering UR Storm was neutered for being a consistent T3 win, there's no way they're going to ignore this.

kirblar

He didn't even use the SSG though? I mean, admittedly that meant he won turn 2 instead of turn 1, but is the SSG that core?
It gives these decks access to very difficult to disrupt T2 nutdraws. It's a marginal ban to keep them in control.

Later in that tounament, you see the T2 Fulminator, T3 Living End, T4 Avalanche Rider draw.

OnPoint

It gives these decks access to very difficult to disrupt T2 nutdraws. It's a marginal ban to keep them in control.

Later in that tounament, you see the T2 Fulminator, T3 Living End, T4 Avalanche Rider draw.

I would hate if they banned more cards.

But it might have to happen. That was nuts.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they banned Fury of the Horde instead.

kirblar

I would hate if they banned more cards.

But it might have to happen. That was nuts.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they banned Fury of the Horde instead.
"More Cards" isn't the problem. The problem is that they didn't ban the right (DRS) cards in the first place.

OnPoint

"More Cards" isn't the problem. The problem is that they didn't ban the right (DRS) cards in the first place.

Which is exactly why I wish they'd unban everything and start from scratch with the ban list. They're just making things worse, and the format more unattractive as a result.

I'd even say Tarmogoyf and Thoughtseize need a ban due to format warping. Not to mention barrier-to-entry warping, but more because if you play green or black, you're 95% or more playing those cards.

kirblar

Which is exactly why I wish they'd unban everything and start from scratch with the ban list. They're just making things worse, and the format more unattractive as a result.

I'd even say Tarmogoyf and Thoughtseize need a ban due to format warping. Not to mention barrier-to-entry warping, but more because if you play green or black, you're 95% or more playing those cards.
Goyf not being on the initial list was so, so bad.

Yeef

What other win conditions does the deck have, even if in the board? Or does it just fold to turn one thoughtseize into surgical extraction?

An-Det

Played in a Tcg Player legacy event tonight, $5 where top 8 gets one of each dual land besides bayou and badlands. However, it's a weeknight and it ended up being 6 rounds plus cut to top 8. Brilliant planning.

Playing punishing jund, I played against 2 affinity (one was first round, was my loss), uwr delver, grixis delver, and ur planeswalker burn thing, then id'ed the last round. Lost in the quarterfinals to mud after fetching the wrong land game 2 (played chalice on one and I got the swamp rather than bayou for the decay, which put me too far behind), and only got a $5 taiga. I also got some tcg player points thing which I sold for $2, so it became a $3 taiga. Not too shabby.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
They're just making things worse, and the format more unattractive as a result.

GP Detroit had over 1400 players, in Detroit of all places. Event wasn't streamed.

GP Antwerp had 1599 players.

The top decks are finally cementing in the format (Jund, RG Tron, Affinity, Pod, Twin) and everything below is still very viable. Format is fine.

y2dvd

What other win conditions does the deck have, even if in the board? Or does it just fold to turn one thoughtseize into surgical extraction?

You'd be super unlucky to get hit with that combo but the other win condition was Emrakul. It just doesn't give you the amazing card draws that Griselbrand gives.

You'd be super unlucky to get hit with that combo but the other win condition was Emrakul. It just doesn't give you the amazing card draws that Griselbrand gives.

to be fair, that's the same win condition. it's the same combo, some people put in emrakul, other people put in cards to search for griselbrand. personally I do neither and throw in cards to get rid of counters. But regardless, somebody mana leaks or thoughseizes you and you don't have a pact of negation it's over.

WHY DOES STANDARD HATE REANIMATOR SO MUCH :-(

I wanna run Worldspine Wurm in a mono black deck :-(

I guess I could run orzhov with Liliana and Borborygmos...

edit: hmm... I guess WBR might work... something like this?

3 Drainpipe Vermin
4 High Priest of Penance
3 Obzedat, Ghost Council
3 Borborygmos, Enraged

3 Thoughtseize
4 Wild Guess
3 Whip of Erebos
3 Boros Charm
3 Dreadbore
2 Obzedat's Aid

3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
2 Chandra, Pyromancer

24 lands

.................................................I hate standard.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88062189]to be fair, that's the same win condition. it's the same combo, some people put in emrakul, other people put in cards to search for griselbrand. personally I do neither and throw in cards to get rid of counters. But regardless, somebody mana leaks or thoughseizes you and you don't have a pact of negation it's over.[/QUOTE]

As long as your graveyard doesn't get exiled, you can stall for a bit and dig for your answers.

joelseph

I met Chris, the guy in the video that misplays, at GenCon when he, as the judge, deck checked me going into the elite eight of a modern masters tournament. Cool dude. That play had to hurt!

Top Bottom