• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Speaking of Elite 8 in Moderm, there's a local modern tournament here next week with $500 on the line. I'm only a few cards off from this deck, do you guys think it can compete?

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Slippery Bogle
2 Geist of St Traft
2 Rafiq of the Many
4 Sovereigns of Lost Alara

4 Explore
4 Mana Leak
4 Supply//Demand
2 Bant Charm
2 Unflinching Courage
2 Eldrazi Conscription

24 lands

I can't afford lotus cobras and saclands unfortunately.

edit: more importantly, is there a good primer for the important cards/decks to look out for in modern/legacy? I know next to nothing about the competitive magic scene. I'm just some dude that likes making decks and playing draft.

That vid was really interesting.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88132895] I'm only a few cards off from this deck, do you guys think it can compete?

edit: more importantly, is there a good primer for the important cards/decks to look out for in modern/legacy? I know next to nothing about the competitive magic scene. I'm just some dude that likes making decks and playing draft.
[/QUOTE]

No probably not but you never know until you try.

For Modern guides and stuff, MTGSalvation has a pretty active Modern forum.

rCIZZLE

What are the thoughts on Selesnya Aggro as a choice right about now? Recently sold off most of my Esper list due to it being painfully boring... especially the mirror matches which is starting to happen more frequently at my LGS.

Here's kind of a rough list of what I was considering:

Creatures:
4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Experiment One
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Voice of Resurgence
4x Loxodon Smiter
4x Banisher Priest
4x Boon Satyr

Other:
4x Selesnya Charm
4x Advent of the Wurm
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Lands:
4x Temple Garden
10x Forest
9x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Unflinching Courage
4x Last Breath
2x Mistcutter Hydra
2x Plummet
3x Rootborn Defenses

The only matchup that seems problematic is monoblack devotion and I'm not really sure how to address that right now.

Any thoughts?

bigkrev

Anyone else going to the Eternal Weekend this weekend?

I might stop by on Saturday to draft/buy some cards, depending on the weather (if it's super nice out, I might just want to work on the yard).

I'm concerned that their is either going to be:

a.) due to the super high value of cards people will be playing, more security than a normal tourney and it ends up being intrusive to non-tournament players

or

b.) not enough security, and thieves running rampant due to the high value of cards being played.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I might stop by on Saturday to draft/buy some cards, depending on the weather (if it's super nice out, I might just want to work on the yard).

a.) due to the super high value of cards people will be playing, more security than a normal tourney and it ends up being intrusive to non-tournament players

or

b.) not enough security, and thieves running rampant due to the high value of cards being played.

Card-stealing is a thing? I have never been to a tournament where there was even the chance of something like this being an issue. Craziness.

or

you'd experience the value of cards you're talking about on sunday (vintage). legacy is obviously higher than standard but not out of the ordinary thanks to SCG opens

bigkrev

Card-stealing is a thing? I have never been to a tournament where there was even the chance of something like this being an issue. Craziness.

It's more of a YGO thing due to the demographics YGO draws, but yeah, big card tourneys are big theft targets. There was a story on Reddit earlier this year about a guy who got 25k-ish in cards stolen from a tournament

ultron87

People generally aren't super great about keeping track of their back pack or bag or whatever. And if you grab a bag from under someone's chair and it has a few binders in it you just hit the jackpot. Which is why you'll almost always hear suggestions to sit with your leg in one of your bag loops and that kind of stuff.

It sucks that it is a problem, but makes sense when you consider how much cards can be worth.

If I'm going to play, i just have my deck with me. If i'm going to trade, I always have my bag on me.

seems foolish to put all your eggs in one basket anyway

y2dvd

What are the thoughts on Selesnya Aggro as a choice right about now? Recently sold off most of my Esper list due to it being painfully boring... especially the mirror matches which is starting to happen more frequently at my LGS.

Here's kind of a rough list of what I was considering:

Creatures:
4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Experiment One
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Voice of Resurgence
4x Loxodon Smiter
4x Banisher Priest
4x Boon Satyr

Other:
4x Selesnya Charm
4x Advent of the Wurm
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Lands:
4x Temple Garden
10x Forest
9x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Unflinching Courage
4x Last Breath
2x Mistcutter Hydra
2x Plummet
3x Rootborn Defenses

The only matchup that seems problematic is monoblack devotion and I'm not really sure how to address that right now.

Any thoughts?

The deck looks good, but yeah I'm also trying to figure out how to beat mono black. I think all you can do is try to outrace it as G/W. I haven't had time to built a new deck for tonight's FNM but I'm thinking of going Boros for Skullcrack and Wear/Tear or some kinda blue devotion splashed with white for D-Sphere. While U devotion is great, I think it has a hard time stopping Pack Rat or Underworld Connection.

OnPoint

For GW: Ratchet Bomb would be good against Pack Rat, enchantment destruction is good against Underworld Connections (which is the big enabler in the deck, really). Rest in Peace if you're really worried about Whip/Merchant shenanigans. Mono-black is a tricky beast to target with GW but you do have options.

rCIZZLE

Outracing is probably the best option with the aid of Banisher Priest and Charm for DD to end the game before their lifegain becomes a problem. Not really sure how necessary Rootborn Defenses is in the SB since this list has a ton of answers for Verdict and Anger. Probably going to force myself to buy the playset of Voices this weekend so I can try it out irl at FNM next weekend.

I run Selesnya in Standard myself. Though it's not like the aggro list with cheap one mana creatures. I do run Elvish Mystic but that's so I can play a turn two Loxodon Smiter.

4 Elvish Mystic
1 Fleecemane Lion
4 Scavenging Ooze
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4 Archangel of Thune

4 Advent of the Wurm
3 Selesnya Charm

1 Boon Satyr
1 Primeval Bounty
3 Unflinching Courage

24 Land

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I run Selesnya in Standard myself. Though it's not like the aggro list with cheap one mana creatures. I do run Elvish Mystic but that's so I can play a turn two Loxodon Smiter.

4 Elvish Mystic
1 Fleecemane Lion
4 Scavenging Ooze
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4 Archangel of Thune

4 Advent of the Wurm
3 Selesnya Charm

1 Boon Satyr
1 Primeval Bounty
3 Unflinching Courage

Land

What's with the single Fleecemane and Boon Satyr?

What's with the single Fleecemane and Boon Satyr?

I am fine with singles of really good cards. They don't attribute to the combo that my deck pulls off, but they are still nice to have.

If I pull Fleecemane Lion later in the game, it's more likely I can make him Monstrous.
Boon Satyr is nice to play onto another one of my creatures, and is some insurance against Supreme Verdict. It's pretty sweet to cast Boon Satyr onto a lifelink creature, but I don't want 4 of him in the deck either.

If I removed the Elvish Mystics I'd have more room for additional Lions or Satyrs, but I like the ability to cast creatures sooner (Loxodon Smiter, Archangel of Thune) or have extra green mana to throw at Scavenging ooze.

rCIZZLE

True-Name Nemesis is already doing damage at BOM apparently. Definitely grabbing a Sword of Fire and Ice for my SB by the GP.

kirblar

True-Name Nemesis is already doing damage at BOM apparently. Definitely grabbing a Sword of Fire and Ice for my SB by the GP.
BOM?

Yeah, I assumed it'd just replace Geist. Also very glad I picked up a Sword of Fire/Ice, Now to hunt down the decks at big box stores. Neither I tried this morning had them. (If someone could get me Mind Seize's UPC i'd greatly appreciate it.)

BOM?

Yeah, I assumed it'd just replace Geist. Also very glad I picked up a Sword of Fire/Ice, Now to hunt down the decks at big box stores. Neither had them. (If someone could get me Mind Seize's UPC i'd greatly appreciate it.)

I'm going to try Wal-Mart before I head to FNM.

An-Det

BOM?

Yeah, I assumed it'd just replace Geist. Also very glad I picked up a Sword of Fire/Ice, Now to hunt down the decks at big box stores. Neither I tried this morning had them. (If someone could get me Mind Seize's UPC i'd greatly appreciate it.)

I tried 2 Walmarts and a K-mart near me and none had any of them. I really only need TNN's from Mind Seize so I dont mind waiting a week or two to buy them as singles, but I was expecting to get at least one of the packs.

I tried 2 Walmarts and a K-mart near me and none had any of them. I really only need TNN's from Mind Seize so I dont mind waiting a week or two to buy them as singles, but I was expecting to get at least one of the packs.

Were they sold out or had they not made it to the shelf yet?

rCIZZLE

I'll be stopping by the walmart close to my LGS later since it's basically on the way. Highly doubt they survived the day though.

An-Det

Were they sold out or had they not made it to the shelf yet?

The people working at each vendor said the vendor had already arrived today and they put things directly on the shelf, so nothing would be in back. I might swing by again tomorrow morning just in case, none of the people working didn't inspire much confidence.

ultron87

I checked two Walmarts and only found a single Bant deck. Looked like one had been cleaned out except for the one and the other hadn't put them out yet.

Very nice box.

Correct. This set's "eternal playables" are really, really pushed.

*phew* I'm happy for that. I don't see myself ever playing Legacy, but Mind Seize is one of the Commander Decks I'd like to pick up. The other is the Prosh Jund deck.

However since these are so scarce, and I pretty much refuse to pay some super inflated price, I may never get to. I may be building my own Commander deck.

So yeah, Mono black net-decks ate everyone's lunch last night.
So much for mono black 'won't be a thing'. lol

I knew black would be heavy so I sideboarded in WitchStalker, so that along with Voice of Resurgence they at least never cast anything on my turn.

I was mana screwed several times last night unfortunately, but that's just a part of Magic sometimes. One game I was on the draw and thought I'd risk it with an opening hand of three plains. Boy was that a bad idea. After putting down my fifth plain I was finally able to cast Archangel of Thune as my first creature. :\

bigkrev

Hitting up 3 Targets, and then hopping on the train to go to Type 1 Champs. Probably just going to do an IPA draft or something, but I have nothing better to do!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A friend of mine bought all the new Commander decks and brought them last night

Yeah

Those decks are good

Also Witch Hunt is an excellent card for speeding up multiplayer games

My LGS hasn't received their Commander decks yet, but will next week. And they will sell at MSRP. SCORE!

A guy brought one of them in last night, and it was a nice presentation. The box is very nice.

Also if you have trouble finding them due to high demand, Maro said that Wizards would reprint them.

MjFrancis

A local Fred Meyer had all five Commander decks in stock. I bought Mind Seize and Eternal Bargain. They even had a 10% off coupon good until the end of today.

I wouldn't pay over MSRP. Like blindrocket said, they will be reprinted, and local vendors may not have even finished stocking up all the stores they have to go to.

Lucario

Got a commander 2013 preorder at my home LGS, $130 for all five decks....

then realized they were closed Friday/Saturday/Sunday and this is my only weekend home for a while :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hit up two more Targets today and found the Esper and Grixis decks, so I've got everything I want. Yay!

The Artificer in the Esper deck is supremely annoying. Whenever I tried to use my Whispersilk Cloak my opponent would just transform it into a creature during combat so it fell off.

An-Det

Hit up a few stores today and found the naya and jund ones (the only real boxes left) at the fifth store, picked them up since I wanted something to show after ask that driving around. I also set my sister and her boyfriend to look around for the grixis one near them (which is nice since Dan is across the country), but not expecting anything. Probably gonna go to a release thing tomorrow and how to get it, so we'll see.

Edit: the lgs in my hometown posted a facebook status saying they had the decks in stock, so I called up my mom and had her swing by. Now I've got four Mind Seize to pick up in a few weeks at Thanksgiving, lol.

bigkrev

Vintage Championship was a mixed bag. The side event room was comically small and poorly run, the judging was poor (the one judge call I had to make had no idea how fight and deathtouch interacted without looking it up), and in the Mickey Mouse moment of 2013, none of the dealers except the TO's store was accepting credit cards. This is a Type 1/Legacy event- people are going to be needing to buy really expensive cards from you. How the fuck do you not even hook up a Square Reader to an iphone?!?

Artist room was super cool, they had a nice room to watch featured matches in, and by being at the PA convention center, the Reading Terminal Market was available, all of which were plusses.

Yeef

I've been working on a cube for the last week or so. It's all sleeved up and I've played it a couple times, it wasn't too bad, but definitely needed work. I just did a sizable reworking that I'll probably draft tomorrow or Wednesday, but I'd love to get some outside opinions on it.

http://cubetutor.com/cubeblog/4917

Top Bottom