• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thanks for supporting MtG for 20 years, to say thanks, here is a 140 dollar product that you can't find in stores!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Mother of Runes is one of them

WanderingWind

The FTV markup is by design. It's used to essentially provide a "bonus" to local retailers.

I've heard this before, but I don't agree with it. It doesn't make sense from any angle. For one, it's available online. Second, Wizards sets the MSRP at $40 - each store can set the pricing on whatever they want, whenever they want. They can price Plains for 10 bucks each, if they so choose. Nobody at Wizards cares. The only reason shops can overprice the FTV's is because they're purposely created in ultra-small batches. Third, ignoring all of that, if the end result was to give a bonus to retailers, there would be a product that provides a high profit margin that more than a player or two could buy from each store.

When the last FTV came out, I was shopping in LA at a major card distribution center - a place with 7-8 MtG vendors operating out of the same building. Each told me their distributors only allowed them 3 each - those that were even allowed to order them. So, even if we put the number each store was allowed to get in at a healthy 10 per, the extra, one time 600-700 dollar boost per store is marginal and would've been much more a slap in the face for the store owners.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea the "bonus" to the stores theory is a load of crap. Most stores get 3 at most (if any), oh boy $150 extra profit, looks like we keep the lights on this year!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This was like the Detora-Shiels yesterday showdown but with creatures.

kirblar

Yea the "bonus" to the stores theory is a load of crap. Most stores get 3 at most (if any), oh boy $150 extra profit, looks like we keep the lights on this year!
Stores receive 6 on the low end, 24 on the high. And it's more of a margin than that per box. (This assumes you're able to order from Wizards though- secondary distributors are not fun to deal with.)

WanderingWind

Cool, thanks. I thought Izzet because Niv may want a dragon bro, but then I thought Mr. Mizzet wasn't the kind of dragon to want other dragons around.

Rakdos it is.

...Izzet is lacking in power though, so far. Having trouble coming up with some red/blue power that seems appropriate for the deck. Best I have is a delver build and Staticaster. It's pretty meh all around.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cool, thanks. I thought Izzet because Niv may want a dragon bro, but then I thought Mr. Mizzet wasn't the kind of dragon to want other dragons around.

Rakdos it is.

...Izzet is lacking in power though, so far. Having trouble coming up with some red/blue power that seems appropriate for the deck. Best I have is a delver build and Staticaster. It's pretty meh all around.
Are you just building from your collection? Or just from Standard?

kirblar

Dem Aristocrats. What a kooky powerful deck.
It only had a 53% win percentage on the day (with very good pilots playing it) so I'm not sure it's actually a great choice for a non-FNM tournament. I think it was definitely the deck in the top 8 that was going to give Melissa the most problems, though (aside from Ben's deck) and probably played spoiler in that regard. Her deck was very, very well positioned to take on the hyper-aggro decks that were popping up all over the place.

I suspect 4x Ghost Quarter in the side may start to become a thing, btw. I hear Strip Mine is good.

ultron87

Rakdos it is.

Well Niv does have a few Hypersonic Dragons around.

I kind of feel like Thundermaw doesn't really fit in either guild flavor-wise. I get the "wild untamed force of nature" vibe from it which fits more in Gruul.

WanderingWind

Well Niv does have a few Hypersonic Dragons around.

I kind of feel like Thundermaw doesn't really fit in either guild flavor-wise. I get the "wild untamed force of nature" vibe from it which fits more in Gruul.

Yeah, true. But I don't know if y'all knew this, but using just what's in standard and keeping within the flavor rules, Gruul may be the most powerful of the guilds. Orhov and Boros are in the mix too. Izzet is super far behind, so far.

kirblar

Yeah, true. But I don't know if y'all knew this, but using just what's in standard and keeping within the flavor rules, Gruul may be the most powerful of the guilds. Orhov and Boros are in the mix too. Izzet is super far behind, so far.
Izzet draw-go was in the format for a week or two. It's possibly the most miserable deck to play against in the format, and the disappearance of Cavern of Souls with the new mana bases may lead to it being viable again. U/R kinda has to be tamped down because of how naturally non-interactive it is.

rCIZZLE

If a store has that much demand then they should be used as tournament prizes. Like giving it as an extra prize for FNM. Of course they'll likely either hoard, mark up, or sell on ebay.

edit: watching SCG legacy open is just reigniting my hate for high tide.

Thanks for supporting MtG for 20 years, to say thanks, here is a 140 dollar product that you can't find in stores!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Mother of Runes is one of them

You know what, I think this is Control Magic.

The art features blue stuff coming out of her hands and a single skull in the artwork.

I also can't find Mother of Runes in any of the winning decklists, and Control Magic is definitely on there!

Oh, and I totally just reserved one at MSRP thanks to my FLGS <3

y2dvd

Lets get into the stories behind some of these deck names like:
  • Bant
  • Esper
  • Naya
  • Jund
  • whatever else

No idea how or why they got some of these names.

Yeef

Lets get into the stories behind some of these deck names like:
  • Bant
  • Esper
  • Naya
  • Jund
  • whatever else

No idea how or why they got some of these names.
Shards of Alara had 5, three-colored shards based off of allied colors. Players took to naming decks that use those three colors after the shards.

Bant - Green, White, Blue
Esper - White, Blue, Black
Grixis - Blue, Black, Red
Jund - Black, Red, Green
Naya - Red, Green, White

Yeef

They need to define the remaining three color combinations officially in a set someday.
I estimate they will in about 4 years. The next multicolor set, I thin, will almost definitely be the wedge set, but apparently they only do multicolored sets every 4 years or so.

Wichu

I'm pretty sure they said they'll make proper names when they do a 'wedge' block (like they did with Alara).

On that topic, today I realised that the name Oros (the black/white/red Planar Chaos primeval, also known as Oros, the Racist Dragon) can also be interpreted as Orzhov + Boros, two guilds making up that colour combination. Mind blown.

I'm eager for a big "shit hits the fan" set along the lines of Invasion and Time Spiral.

I really hope that all these storylines - the rise of the Eldrazi, the resurgence of Phyrexia, whatever is about to happen with the Dragon's Maze, and the machinations of Nicol Bolas - culminate in some big payoff where the stories intertwine, and that they don't just all stay isolated from each other. I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff.

alternade

I'm eager for a big "shit hits the fan" set along the lines of Invasion and Time Spiral.

I really hope that all these storylines - the rise of the Eldrazi, the resurgence of Phyrexia, whatever is about to happen with the Dragon's Maze, and the machinations of Nicol Bolas - culminate in some big payoff where the stories intertwine, and that they don't just all stay isolated from each other. I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff.
I kind of want a vanilla set. No dual lands or multicolor cards, make playing with different colors a risk/reward scenario. I can think of a couple ways to tie it into the story for have such a separation.

I want to build a cube for two player Winston/Winchester drafts for casual fun on board game nights. How do I do that? 18 cards from each color and 10 artifacts gets me to 100 cards??!!

Anything else?? Is there a better way??

Thanks GAF!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nah I like the current wedge names.

RUG = Rug
BUG = Bug
BRW = No one plays this who cares.
RWU = AMERICA
BWG = Rock or some shit

f0rk

I want to build a cube for two player Winston/Winchester drafts for casual fun on board game nights. How do I do that? 18 cards from each color and 10 artifacts gets me to 100 cards??!!

Anything else?? Is there a better way??

Thanks GAF!

Drafting isn't a 2 player format, you'd be better of trying to build two equal decks. Or get 8 people.

Drafting isn't a 2 player format, you'd be better of trying to build two equal decks. Or get 8 people.

I get that but I Winston draft with 3 boosters each player all the time. I just want to replicate building a deck on the fly while secretly drafting two colors and play my buddies that way.

f0rk

I get that but I Winston draft with 3 boosters each player all the time. I just want to replicate building a deck on the fly while secretly drafting two colors and play my buddies that way.

But you only get 6 boosters total, it's more limiting than any magic really should be.
You might as well be playing sealed.

WanderingWind

Forgive the conceit, fellas, but I am excited and I figured y'all would understand. I love completing cycles. Each of those boxes is the official guild box, too.

aFJccDJl.jpg
[/IMG]

JulianImp

Forgive the conceit, fellas, but I am excited and I figured y'all would understand. I love completing cycles. Each of those boxes is the official guild box, too.

aFJccDJl.jpg

Awesome! I've been pretty unlucky with mythics so far, and so far all I've opened was the large dragon from RTR.

So far my deck appears to be working fine. It got trampled over by a GW humans deck, but I did well against the others, earning second place and two boosters (which had a Watery Grave and the Orzhov promo rare). The interaction between Zameck Guildmage and Strangleroot Geist was great, and Garruk the Veil-Cursed really saved me in a round where my opponent had gone up to 31 life, in my second-to-last turn before the game would've been a draw (I attacked with seven creatures for a total of 34 damage).

The new common Mana Leak variant was quite useful throughout my games, except when I miscounted my opponent's mana sources (yeah...). Overall, I've really liked my flash creatures (1 Wolfir Avenger + 2 Sambleshark), and Ulvenwald Tracker was stellar like always (I'd love to have two more). The only card that performed really bad was Temporal Mastery, becuase most of the time I was unable to do anything else on the turn I cast it (I did harcast it twice!), so it mostly read "untap all your lands, draw a card".

I'll be adding a third Wolfir Silverhear I had misplaced on a pile of random cards, and I guess I'll replace the Temporal Mastery with the green rare miracle (the one that gives +6/+6 and forces blocks), because that's more likely to impact the game. I managed to trade my surplus Stomping Ground for a Breeding Pool, and I might be getting a second one for this Game Day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for sideboard cards I could use against really aggressive decks? I'm thinking about getting some Aetherize, and perhaps shell out the money for some Simic Charms (my LGS only has a single copy in stock, though), but I think even with them the deck will be a bit too slow against stuff like the aforementioned WG humans. I'm also thinking about running a pair of Ghost Quarter against stuff like Gavony Township, but that could get a bit problematic with my color-intensive mana costs...

WanderingWind

As an aggro player, I fear Terminus, Supreme Verdict and Aetherize, in that order. Fighting G/W humans without boardwipes is really, really hard. It's too quick and too aggressive to fight against with creatures, counters can help a bit, but when the costliest human you want is 3cmc, it's not that big a deal. Aetherize is the only clearing tool I can think of, and it doesn't work against smart players who don't attack with everything at once.

JulianImp

Well, my opponent wasn't that good, though; he constantly made mistakes such as forgetting to trigger his Gavony Township on two turns in a row and not playing a creature (or not playing them in the right order to maximize Champion of the Parish's size).

Ulvenwald Tracker can be useful against everything but Champion of the Parish, but takes a while to get going, and the same happens with my counterspells (I'm forced to play creatures to trade rather than keeping counter mana open).

Also, are there any decent 3-drops I should consider? Right now I only have a single Wolfir Avenger since that's all the copies I've got, but I don't think there're many other good cards. Perhaps the souldbond creature that gives +1/+1 could be useful (at least it's a vanilla 3/3 for 3), but it's kinda iffy and I don't see any other viable options.

I'll probably also cut my singleton Dungeon Geists for an extra Deadbridge Goliath due to the prevalence of weenie creatures at my LGS (so far I've played against no control decks and a single midrange one). I'm still not happy with the bad top-deck potential of several creatures, so I might end up swapping out my two copies of Experiment One for some better creatures with CMC 3 or 4.

Top Bottom