• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So my random brew of the day was trying to make a standard stacks deck.

tGE23gL.jpg

Works pretty well if the combo of assemble the legion and descent is assembled. I'm thinking some intangible virtues would probably be good for an alternate win condition.

Sinatar

Good liliana is so expensive though =(

Yea I should ditch her for... something. I dunno another midnight haunting and o-ring maybe. Or hell the intangible virtues I'm thinking of.

An-Det

Awesome play on the Jkory's legacy stream tonight, playing Tin Fins. It's game 3, playing for 1st in the DE, the opponent is on Esper Stoneblade. Jkory Thoughtseizes and takes a Spell Pierce, leaving just a Surgical Extraction as the relevant cards in hand. To play around this, he dark rituals, entombs Emrakul, then in response to the Emrakul trigger Entombs a Griselbrand, then still in response uses Shallow Grave. This leaves the opponent with the choice of taking GB and going to a low life and no permanents in play and giving jkory infinite time to do it again, or taking Emrakul and leaving him to combo out. Ends up doing the latter, and he quickly is facing down a million Tendrils copies to win the event.

Tin Fins is such a blast to watch and to play, especially on streams with the chat devising constant puns on hitting the children (of korlis).

kirblar

Huntmaster of the Fells is worth $33?

Holy moley, this game is getting ridiculous!
Game's grown at least 150% sales wise over the past 4 years. (Essentially, post-ZEN/NWO.) Probably can't maintain, but it keeps putting continuous pressure on "last year's" sets because of the steady % rate of increase of 25-30%.

Sinatar

I drafted 4 huntsmasters across 3 back to back drafts. I think I used up all my pack luck until the end of time with that one.

ultron87

My friend pointed out on Facebook that Melissa DeTora made an illegal play on the PT stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/magicprotour/b/367954193?t=10h2m38s

She ended up playing two lands on the same turn.

Is this even a big deal? I don't know.

If it had been caught I think it'd just be a Warning (since it's a Game Play Error - Game Rule Violation in the IPG) and the land would get put back in her hand with no game loss or anything.

The only real "big deal" unintentional violation like that is drawing extra cards, which gets you a game loss.

That just shows you how strong Explore is. Bertoncini already proved that Explore is strong enough to defy logic, I guess its not a stretch to believe that you can benefit from it without it even being in your deck.

ultron87

Time was running out on the round and they were playing fast. Forgetting you played a land is perfectly understandable.

And that's like the worst possible time to cheat ever. Taking the colossal risk of cheating on camera isn't worth going from 13 land to 14 land a turn early.

OnPoint

Chances are she'll be watched more closely next time. I'll never understand the need to cheat, but especially on camera. If it was on purpose.

I disagree. It was done so absolutely calmly, coolly, and quickly. I believe it was cheating. More mana to pump in to Wolf Run.

This may very well be true. The problem is intent is absolutely impossible to prove without an admission of guilt.

I do find it suspect in that even if you think you might have played a land and you aren't sure it's common decency to ask your opponent if you land dropped already.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Time was running out on the round and they were playing fast. Forgetting you played a land is perfectly understandable.

And that's like the worst possible time to cheat ever. Taking the colossal risk of cheating on camera isn't worth going from 13 land to 14 land a turn early.

Yeah. Plus, she did everything with the same exact facial expression. Using that as a sign that she cheated doesn't hold any weight with me.

It's not like she magic'd a Batterskull. She played an extra land at the end of a very, very long ass day. Definitely worthy of a warning from the DCI or whatever though.

Takuan

I traded for 3 Huntmasters, but never played them. Not sure if I should hold onto them for future use/value or to just trade them for cards I feel are undervalued at the moment. I have the same misgivings about Geist.

I think I enjoy Magic's speculative metagame as much as I do the cards themselves.

Lucario

lol @ that deck being perfectly set up to abuse Sphinx of the Chimes.

I probably would have played Hover Barrier though.

I know, right? First time for everything I guess.

I honestly can't figure out any cuts for hover barrier. I strongly considered it (and know the deck wants it), but it can also beat down with fliers against something slow like golgari.
Didn't want to splash red for the value Hypersonic Dragon? You've got the guildgate and everything!

Probably not worth it. I have enough bombs (although no 5-drops), and I'd want three red sources to be able to comfortably cast it. This deck -never- wants to have a dead card in hand -- playing 18 lands can be risky like that -- so, although it seems odd, I didn't run the hypersonic.

Could be wrong though.

Lucario

I really, really hate Vassal Soul.

Me too. It's substandard in everything but flier swarm decks, which this certainly isn't. I've been sideboarding it out in every game so far for the barrier.

Even after 100+ drafts, this format is ridiculously complicated. Can't wait to start gatecrash.

...at least this is an easy 3-0.

I'd say my questionable decisions have been:

Vassal soul in MD over Hover Barrier. This was wrong -- dead fuckin' wrong.
Taking hypersonic pack 3 over an on-color guildgate -- also -probably- wrong. Splashing would be bad here.
Fourth trostani's judgment in pack 1 over... something relevant, I forget what -- I had no token producers, and even though the card is insane even if it just makes a 1/1 bird, it's not something you can load up 5-6 of. I saw plenty of them -- I didn't need to take four in the first fucking pack.

Legacy tournament this Saturday for $250 (first prize) $125 for second.

I haven't finished less than second at any of these events and only play one deck (RUG). Hopefully I get the OK from the Mrs and put together another good showing.

WanderingWind

I've always wanted to win a game by ramping up ridiculous amounts of mana with elves and just fireballing somebody's face.

It's never actually happened though. :(

Sinatar

I've always wanted to win a game by ramping up ridiculous amounts of mana with elves and just fireballing somebody's face.

It's never actually happened though. :(

I played against Travis Woo last night on his stream and he Rakdos Returned me for like 30. Feels bad man.

Lucario

Is there a 'worst' color anymore? Red is the narrowest, but it can still do some pretty awesome shit -- RDW is pretty much always the top deck of a new format because it requires less than zero skill to play, and burn is legacy playable to the point that some decks splash red for fire/ice, lightning bolt, and sideboard price of progress.

I'd say that every color has enough insane cards at this point that none can be considered the 'worst'.

Except in EDH.

Red is the worst in EDH.

WanderingWind

I wonder if they'll ever decide to do a "mono-color matters" set Like, you get specific bonuses for playing only one color and/or drawbacks for playing multi-color.

Top Bottom