• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hah! Makes sense. Competitive build or just a fun deck?

Tuesday is Brewsday with him, so he makes a crazy deck and challenges people on stream playing their own crazy deck. I was playing an esper/mill/agro thing with Wights of Precint Six and Jace's Phantasm's. Almost had him beat in G1 at least.

Is there a 'worst' color anymore? Red is the narrowest, but it can still do some pretty awesome shit -- RDW is pretty much always the top deck of a new format because it requires less than zero skill to play, and burn is legacy playable to the point that some decks splash red for fire/ice, lightning bolt, and sideboard price of progress.

I'd say that every color has enough insane cards at this point that none can be considered the 'worst'.

Except in EDH.

Red is the worst in EDH.

I actually have two mono-red EDH decks, lol. :p

kirblar

Is there a 'worst' color anymore? Red is the narrowest, but it can still do some pretty awesome shit -- RDW is pretty much always the top deck of a new format because it requires less than zero skill to play, and burn is legacy playable to the point that some decks splash red for fire/ice, lightning bolt, and sideboard price of progress.

I'd say that every color has enough insane cards at this point that none can be considered the 'worst'.

Except in EDH.

Red is the worst in EDH.
The uncounterable spells did amazing things to making Black better positioned relative to blue re: disruption.

Lucario

Wizards, why did you make deathrite shaman a 1/2? If you're going to make 1-drop so goddamn broken, at least let us get advantage out of firing it, gut shotting it, whatever.

I'm glad I have my playset and all, but I'd be happy to see that card leave a format or two.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I suddenly remember Dominion was pretty fun. I don't supposed anyone here plays the online version?

kirblar

I wonder if they'll ever decide to do a "mono-color matters" set Like, you get specific bonuses for playing only one color and/or drawbacks for playing multi-color.
This was essentially Shadowmoor/Eventide limited.

I'm still somewhat shocked that they had the balls to print Abrupt Decay.
They did it to WTFPWN Tempo decks. Being able to just sit back on a 1/2 drop and counterspell everything was a problem.

Haly

After seeing those pics technomancer posted in the fictional city thread, I got to wondering about something: How the hell do people get around in Ravnica?

The entire planet is a city, so there aren't any highways or free ways. The city are multilayered, so you could be on a sidewalk 50 stories above ground level, and this is not taking into account the Golgari and Dimir's sewer system. It seems like people who can't fly are seriously disadvantaged here, or maybe most denizens of Ravnica only operate within a minuscule part of the entire world.

That or it has the most extensive public transportation system in all of fantasy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
House Dimir

4 x Jace's Phantasm
4 x Wight of Precinct Six
4 x Paranoid Delusions
4 x Balustrade Spy
4 x Psychic Strike
4 x Mind Sculpt
4 x Mind Grind
2 x Lavaaz
2 x Dimir Charm
2 x Consuming Aberration
2 x Evil Twin
3 x Drownyard
4 x Watery Grave
4 x Drowned Catacombs
7 x Island
6 x Swamp

Sideboard: Devour Flesh, Syncopate, Nightveil Specter, Thought Scour

bigkrev

New promo from the comic books...
1174_ogrearsonist.jpg

...a random reprint from Portal?

Sinatar

House Dimir

4 x Jace's Phantasm
4 x Wight of Precinct Six
4 x Paranoid Delusions
4 x Balustrade Spy
4 x Psychic Strike
4 x Mind Sculpt
4 x Mind Grind
2 x Lavaaz
2 x Dimir Charm
2 x Consuming Aberration
2 x Evil Twin
3 x Drownyard
4 x Watery Grave
4 x Drowned Catacombs
7 x Island
6 x Swamp

Sideboard: Devour Flesh, Syncopate, Nightveil Specter, Thought Scour

Cut the terribad Balustrade spies for... anything really. Some removal would probably be good, or some more aberrations. Maybe even Nighthawks or something.

Speaking of Aberration, he's besties with Rogue's Passage, play a couple.

Hex

Banned
Sooooo I just did some power trading with some buying and put together legacy Merfolk, and started the road back to elves by grabbing a gaea's cradle.
Hopefully I will do ok at gameday this weekend to build store credit up again.

OnPoint

After seeing those pics technomancer posted in the fictional city thread, I got to wondering about something: How the hell do people get around in Ravnica?

The entire planet is a city, so there aren't any highways or free ways. The city are multilayered, so you could be on a sidewalk 50 stories above ground level, and this is not taking into account the Golgari and Dimir's sewer system. It seems like people who can't fly are seriously disadvantaged here, or maybe most denizens of Ravnica only operate within a minuscule part of the entire world.

That or it has the most extensive public transportation system in all of fantasy.

I laughed. Honestly, the whole idea of an entire plane that's a city is too much to comprehend.

Haly

I laughed. Honestly, the whole idea of an entire plane that's a city is too much to comprehend.

Asimov did it first in Foundation but that's alright because they have SCIENCE.

I dunno what these guys have. Like, a horse or something.

WanderingWind

Asimov did it first in Foundation but that's alright because they have SCIENCE.

I dunno what these guys have. Like, a horse or something.

A wizard did it.

But for real, if you've ever lived in a large city without a car, it's likely like that. Your block is what you know and public transport is a godsend. Oh, and there is always the pursuit of flight...

ultron87

I think the Izzet handle a lot of the transport and stuff by cramming science and magic together. So they have like teleportals or whatever.

Negator

Threw together a moderately agressive Naya Midrange deck to see if it'll be any good.

4x Boros Reckoner
4x Huntmaster of the Fells
3x Restoration Angel
4x Thragtusk
3x Thundermaw Hellkite
3x Aurelia, the Warleader

2x Boros Charm
4x Selesnya Charm
2x Bonfire of the Damned
4x Farseek
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter

4x Stomping Grounds
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple Garden
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Rootbound Crag
3x Clifftop Retreat
2x Kessig Wolf-Run

Probably too durdly against aggro decks, but I think Selesnya Charm and Boros Reckoner will do some work in those matchups.

Reckoner is kind of a pain in the meta right now, so I figured the best plan of attack is to just fly over them all.

I haven't been able to watch any SCG legacy streams so I'm hoping you guys can give me a heads up. The only deck I know that has recently gained more popularity is U/R. I'm thinking about adding 2 lavamancers to RUG. Is there any new "tech" in legacy I should be aware of for this Saturday?

Tuesday is Brewsday with him, so he makes a crazy deck and challenges people on stream playing their own crazy deck. I was playing an esper/mill/agro thing with Wights of Precint Six and Jace's Phantasm's. Almost had him beat in G1 at least.

His articles don't have videos right? I've really started to like his decks but I can't go back to reading about decks after watching so many people play new decks on a stream or on videos.

I am going to end up buying a box for Gatecrash, nothing to lose >_>

Well.... Nothing to lose except money you mean. :p

WanderingWind

Cut the terribad Balustrade spies for... anything really. Some removal would probably be good, or some more aberrations. Maybe even Nighthawks or something.

Speaking of Aberration, he's besties with Rogue's Passage, play a couple.

Spy is good when you need to mill, like this deck does. Aberrations is definitely good, but a bit slow.

Sooooo I just did some power trading with some buying and put together legacy Merfolk, and started the road back to elves by grabbing a gaea's cradle.
Hopefully I will do ok at gameday this weekend to build store credit up again.

I'm not allowed to play my Legacy elves with friends anymore and I moved away from my Legacy playing store a few months back. Super fun deck though, pulling out a lethal stampeding hoard of elves like, turn 5.

Spy is good when you need to mill, like this deck does. Aberrations is definitely good, but a bit slow.

I'm not allowed to play my Legacy elves with friends anymore and I moved away from my Legacy playing store a few months back. Super fun deck though, pulling out a lethal stampeding hoard of elves like, turn 5.

Seems like you need new friends. Elves are awesome! :D

I can't imagine they have very good legacy decks if they annoyed by elves :/

I can understand if you played dredge. No one ever wants to play against that deck.

Hex

Banned
SO I put together my deck for gameday, had four decks in mind but missing core parts for each including the one I am going with but it seems the best option.

4X Avacyn's Pilgrim
4x Mayor of Avabruck
1x Champion of the Parish (all I have, would rather have 4x obviously..will try to grab some when I get there)
4x Burning Tree Emissary
4x Nearheath Pilgrim
4x Huntmaster of the fells
2x Domri Rade
1x Boros Reckoner
1x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2x Boros Charm (all i have)
1x Aurelia’s Fury
1x Garruk Relentless (would rather run 2)
1x Clan Defiance
1x Selesnya Charm (May swap out for 1x Gruul Charm)
1x Signal the Clans (so good but only have one)
1x Experiment One (again would rather it be Champion of the Parish)
2x Oblivion Ring

Still working on the land mix, will include 2 Kessig Wolf Runs

Edit:

Side board is:
2x Witchbane Orb (go ahead and do your little Reckoner games, you can't target me and for those that want to try mill? Yeah not happening)
2x Rest in Peace (yeah, that infinite human thing is cute, get it out of here and take your reanimator with you)
2x Pithing Needle
2x Knight of Glory (all I have, great against zombies and jund)
2x Grafdigger's Cage
2x Angel of Jubilation (just kind of throwing it in, in case anyone wants to try and copy aristocrat nonsense...you can not sac shit I say)
2x Deathrite Shaman
1x Blind Obedience (all that I have)

JulianImp

SO I put together my deck for gameday, had four decks in mind but missing core parts for each including the one I am going with but it seems the best option.

4X Avacyn's Pilgrim
4x Mayor of Avabruck
1x Champion of the Parish (all I have, would rather have 4x obviously..will try to grab some when I get there)
4x Burning Tree Emissary
4x Nearheath Pilgrim
4x Huntmaster of the fells
2x Domri Rade
1x Boros Reckoner
1x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2x Boros Charm (all i have)
1x Aurelia’s Fury
1x Garruk Relentless (would rather run 2)
1x Clan Defiance
1x Selesnya Charm (May swap out for 1x Gruul Charm)
1x Signal the Clans (so good but only have one)
1x Experiment One (again would rather it be Champion of the Parish)

Still working on the land mix, will include 2 Kessig Wolf Runs

How many non-basics will you run? You really shouldn't play Kessig Wolf Run unless you have lots and lots of dual lands, because it seems your deck's hurting for various kinds of colored mana, mostly early on. If you want to run an utility land, I'd strongly advise using Gavony Township, which is completely ridiculous in an aggro deck, much better than Kessig Wolf Run.

If you want to go all-out aggro, I think stuff like Aurelia's Fury and Clan Defiance are bad for this deck. Selesnya Charm is really good, so you should keep it over the Gruul Charm. Also, Burning-Tree Emissary doesn't look that explosive when you don't have too many cards you can play with the extra mana (except for the Mayors, I guess).

To build upon the human subtheme, perhaps you could get your hands on some Champion of Lambholt (takes a while to get going, but even with a single Mayor on the battlefield you can slip by 2/Xs easily). Nearheath Pilgrim is kinda iffy as well, and you could run a few Oblivion Rings or Fiend Hunters in their place (depending on how much removal and non-creature stuff your local metagame is running). Daybreak Ranger could be helpful if you want a more midrange-y approach as well. On the other hand, Doomed Traveller is a good 1-drop if your metagame is full of other aggressive decks, slowing them down for two whole turns, or blocking once and then hitting through the air.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

You could put your Knight of Glory in your maindeck, since it's awesome even when not against black. Rest in Peace, Grafdigger's Cage AND Deathrite Shaman is kind of overkill, because to sideboard them in you'd have to remove too many important cards from your deck. I'd suggestthat you keep the Shaman and remove the rest. Witchbane Orb is kind of slow for your deck, but Pithing Needle's perfect (I run two in my sideboard because of the versatility they provide). Blind Obedience is kind of strange since you're supposed to be the aggro deck against most opponents, and a single copy is unlikely to help you. War Priest of Thune could be helpful against some decks while still providing a decent-sized body.

Hex

Banned
How many non-basics will you run? You really shouldn't play Kessig Wolf Run unless you have lots and lots of dual lands, because it seems your deck's hurting for various kinds of colored mana, mostly early on. If you want to run an utility land, I'd strongly advise using Gavony Township, which is completely ridiculous in an aggro deck, much better than Kessig Wolf Run.

If you want to go all-out aggro, I think stuff like Aurelia's Fury and Clan Defiance are bad for this deck. Selesnya Charm is really good, so you should keep it over the Gruul Charm. Also, Burning-Tree Emissary doesn't look that explosive when you don't have too many cards you can play with the extra mana (except for the Mayors, I guess).

To build upon the human subtheme, perhaps you could get your hands on some Champion of Lambholt (takes a while to get going, but even with a single Mayor on the battlefield you can slip by 2/Xs easily). Nearheath Pilgrim is kinda iffy as well, and you could run a few Oblivion Rings or Fiend Hunters in their place (depending on how much removal and non-creature stuff your local metagame is running). Daybreak Ranger could be helpful if you want a more midrange-y approach as well. On the other hand, Doomed Traveller is a good 1-drop if your metagame is full of other aggressive decks, slowing them down for two whole turns, or blocking once and then hitting through the air.

Hope this helps.

Only 2 wolfrun, 2 Cavern of Souls and 5 basics are not duals. Rest is shocks and duals.

JulianImp

Only 2 wolfrun, 2 Cavern of Souls and 5 basics are not duals. Rest is shocks and duals.

I don't think you should worry about running Cavern of Souls, since there aren't any relevent decks packing counterspells right now (I think).

If you have them, you should absolutely substitute the Wolf Runs for Gavony Townships, since the latter is a lot better than the former (activate it once or twice and you won't need to drop any more creatures). Your deck shouldn't have X-spells since they're at their best when used in a slow, control-ish deck, while your deck is all about quickly overwhelming your opponents. Wolf Run was only good back when it was used alongisde infect, since it's more like a win-more card: It'll help you break through in some stalemates, but most of the time it won't do anything when you're on the defensive, or when you have a clear advantage anyway.

You need to sink too much mana into it for a good return on your investment, and it's only temporary (say, tap six lands for +3/+0 and trample), whereas every Township activation stacks and gives you more bang for your buck even if you're just running two creatures (5 mana for a permanent +1/+1 to each, the same it'd cost you to give +2/+0 to a single creature for a turn).

If you were going the ramp route, then Wolf Run's use would be more justified, but I don't think you should run it in this kind of deck. IF you don't have any Townships, you could try out Mikaeus, the Lunarch as well (I played both in a GBW deck and they were awesome).

Haly

Tried out the Amulet of Vigor Modern deck. Omg I am in love. This is everything I want in a deck: ramp, silly interactions, playing a bunch of things at once, and swinging for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Hey guys, is there a convenient place online I can export cardlists into some excel compatible format? I think that would be pretty convenient as I'm starting to think about cube building.

OnPoint

Tried out the Amulet of Vigor Modern deck. Omg I am in love. This is everything I want in a deck: ramp, silly interactions, playing a bunch of things at once, and swinging for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Wow that's awesome. Something about the Amulet always grabbed my attention but I never could put anything together with it. I bought a bunch just now to build this, and maybe have some in case they blow up in price.

Jarate

Banned
My human boros deck is still a WIP, but I was wondering what you guys though of it so far

3X Ash Zealot
4X Boros Charm
4X Boros Elite
4X Champion of the Parish
4X Frontline Medic
3X Gather the Townsfolk (Thinking about replacing with something else)
3X Kessig Malcontent
4X Legion Loyalist
3X Oblivion Ring
3X Pillar of Flames
2X Searing Spear
3X Wojeck Halberdiers

4X Clifftop Retreat
4X Sacred Foundry
6X Mountain
6X Plains

Im thinking of bumping my mana up to 22-23, but those gather the ownsfolk can be helpful

wat do?

WanderingWind

Ive been thinking about either adding these cards

Azorious Justicar
Faith's Reward
Firemane Avenger
Instagator Gang
Riders of Gavony
Spark Trooper

any other cards I should think of?

Justicar and Riders just don't work. Riders I really tried to make work, but no luck. I mean, your deck is perfect for Silverblade though.

Azorious Justicar
Faith's Reward
Firemane Avenger
Instagator Gang
Riders of Gavony
Spark Trooper

I agree with WanderingWind, Silverblade would be good for your deck. It helps that you have a fair amount of reach.

f0rk

Azorious Justicar
Faith's Reward
Firemane Avenger
Instagator Gang
Riders of Gavony
Spark Trooper

Firemane Angel is probably the best there and it's cheap. There isn't really a Hero of Blade hold equivalent right now in white, could try Hellrider

Jarate

Banned
I threw in the silverblade paladins instead of the kessig malcontents, as they weren't as useful as they used to be (too much countering in standard right now)

Sinatar

Yea Riders of Gavony only really works as a sideboard card against tribal decks. It's pretty rare to run into tribal variants these days outside of fringe zombie players.

Haly

I have a headache from playing that Vigor deck.

Literally, my head is throbbing right now.

Coffee didn't help.

Yeef

Bought two of the Boros event decks and mirror matched with a buddy. We played about six or seven games. It took all of like a half hour. It's a pretty speedy deck.

Top Bottom