• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Because Nighthowler SUCKS.

Basically, Consuming Aberration is gonna be better than Nighthowler every time. It's big enough to kill in one turn from full health and it mills for me.

The other problem is that Nighthowler becomes worthless after a crypt incursion, and decks where I wouldn't use Crypt Incursion Nighthowler is worthless anyway.

Speaking of worthless, I got a turn three Jace, Memory Adept yesterday. That was pretty sweet.

Opening hand:
Swamp
Swamp
Island
Deathrite
Deathrite
Breaking // Entering
Jace, Memory Adept

Exokell

Banned
wtf... i just logged in on modo and wtf am i seeing 128 player limit for standard daily and the event only happens every 6 hrs. I thought they were gonna make standard daily every hr. this is some fucking shit.

wtf... i just logged in on modo and wtf am i seeing 128 player limit for standard daily and the event only happens every 6 hrs. I thought they were gonna make standard daily every hr. this is some fucking shit.

No, they said that "daily events" were going to fire every hour. It rotates which event is firing, same as before. The only real change (other than the player limits) is that the events aren't on a sliding rotation anymore (meaning that the same format has a daily at the same time every day).

Exokell

Banned
The problem is there's less daily standard each day and there's limit in players. How can anybody be able yo play a daily standard?

How do you guys feel about Aetherize vs Cyclonic Rift?

3hqsMRU.jpg
YYN7u0I.jpg

My deck's biggest weakness is card disadvantage during combat, so I need a board wipe. Cyclonic Rift is cool because I can target any nonland permanent so it's never useless, but the wipe is waay too expensive. Aetherize sits at a really good cmc but only works on creatures so it's a dead card in some matchups.

OnPoint

God's Beard!";93556171]How do you guys feel about Aetherize vs Cyclonic Rift? [URL="http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/robbing-the-grave-1/ said:
My deck's[/URL] biggest weakness is card disadvantage during combat, so I need a board wipe. Cyclonic Rift is cool because I can target any nonland permanent so it's never useless, but the wipe is waay too expensive. Aetherize sits at a really good cmc but only works on creatures so it's a dead card in some matchups.

Main deck Rift for its versitility, side in Aetherize to replace it in aggro/creature heavy matchups.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";93583593]Do you think AEtherize is a better sideboard against aggro than Ratchet bomb?[/QUOTE]

Probably depends on the aggro? Ratchet Bomb is going to do WORK against an aggro deck using 1 CMC creatures to swarm you, like Mono Red or Boros aggro. It would probably be less effective against the RG or Mono U Devotion aggro decks though, since those seem to have CMC spread all over the board.

Karakand

That's kind of a metagame-y card choice, GB. (The CC discrepancy doesn't make it entirely one.)

If you're playing the wild unknown, you're probably better off with the Cyclonic Rift just because it can hit almost anything. I also think you could do with a 2 CMC spell over one that's four given the previously discussed mana curve issues you appear to have.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drafted Theros with friends tonight. Ended up taking first with a R/G Heroic/Bestow thing thanks to getting passed, among other things:

2x Centaur Battlemaster
2x Purphoros's Emmisary
1x Staunch Hearted Warrior
1x Two Headed Cerberus
2x Spearpoint Oread
2x Lightning Strike
1x Magma Jet

Basically any time I was able to get one thing bestowed on a second thing I was swinging for massive damage either First Strike or Two-Headed

We redrafted rares at the end and I got Ashiok, which is sweet, so I'll definitely be trying to build a deck around him

rCIZZLE

Damn weather ruining my travels for two weekends in a row. Missed the 40 duals tournament last weekend and now I'm missing a monthly today.

Anyways, got a question for you guys. Is there any way to expand the "more info" tab on the wizards event locator? Don't feel like always having to call to confirm the basic details and a lot of these stores don't list their events on facebook or their website.

edit: Since I'm in a question mood, got another one for you guys. Currently have Maverick and UWR Delver built and really nothing else after selling off a bunch of cards a couple months ago. Not wanting to have 2 midrange decks and UWR just doesn't interest me much so I'm planning on taking it apart for a combo deck. Outside of S&T, dredge, and stupid decks like belcher and oops, what would you guys suggest I build? Besides S&T, dredge, and belcher, there's really no other legitimate combo decks in my play group which sucks for playtesting. Having one to mix it up with at monthlies and side events is fun too.

Currently thinking between Elves and ANT since they're both very good and likely to be show up in our 5-9 round tournaments. Open to any suggestions though even if it's something else entirely.

MAN , I WANTED THAT SIN COLLECTOR

I went 1-2 again ;_;

My last opponent had the most insane draft deck I've seen in Theros. 5 colors, nothing but constant digging for land, chump blocking and griptides. He didn't attack once either game and I lost 2-0.

He won with Scholar of Artheos. I got him down to 1 each time then he would just keep pumping and blocking. So difficult.

I had a Temple of Abandon, Anger of the Gods, Anthousa and Polis Crusher as my rares. I just could not get rid of that damn Scholar. That's what I get for going with ramp and Heroic triggers over burn spells.

Mike M

Nick N
My adopted-step-brother-in-law (long story) is into Magic, and my wife and sister want to get him something Magic related for Christmas. Our remaining budget for him is $30, any ideas on how it might best be spent without knowing anything about his existing collection?

rexor0717

My adopted-step-brother-in-law (long story) is into Magic, and my wife and sister want to get him something Magic related for Christmas. Our remaining budget for him is $30, any ideas on how it might best be spent without knowing anything about his existing collection?

Personally, I'm a fan of Fat Packs because they give you a nice box to put them in.

noquarter

Theros gift boxes are pretty nice as well. The run $20, come with 4 packs and a box that can hold 3000 cards. Also has some nice dividers and stickers to allow him to sort his cards however he wants and it look nice. Can't remember the card that comes in the box, but it also comes with an alternate art foil.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Used my fresh made Aggro Gruul last night an it did better than expected. 2-3 overall. It lost to a Gruul mirror where the guy I went against literally played the same exact cards as me for 4 turns. Then we threw Polukranos at each other and it got messy. Lost the other two to Golgari revolving around fucking Loleth Troll and Dreg Mangler. I hate Golgari so much right now. I'm tempted to convert the Gruul into Jund just so I can have shit like Abrupt Decay and Varolz.

I came across a Mind Seize at the store today but decided not to buy it. I know, kind of dumb but I didn't want the hassle of selling TNN on ebay or anything and I didn't really see myself using that particular Commander deck anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I came across a Mind Seize at the store today but decided not to buy it. I know, kind of dumb but I didn't want the hassle of selling TNN on ebay or anything and I didn't really see myself using that particular Commander deck anyway.

Was it MSRP? I know someone who would probably buy it off of you for a bonus.

OnPoint

I've been able to find them relatively easy over the last 30 days or so.

Damn weather ruining my travels for two weekends in a row. Missed the 40 duals tournament last weekend and now I'm missing a monthly today.

Anyways, got a question for you guys. Is there any way to expand the "more info" tab on the wizards event locator? Don't feel like always having to call to confirm the basic details and a lot of these stores don't list their events on facebook or their website.

edit: Since I'm in a question mood, got another one for you guys. Currently have Maverick and UWR Delver built and really nothing else after selling off a bunch of cards a couple months ago. Not wanting to have 2 midrange decks and UWR just doesn't interest me much so I'm planning on taking it apart for a combo deck. Outside of S&T, dredge, and stupid decks like belcher and oops, what would you guys suggest I build? Besides S&T, dredge, and belcher, there's really no other legitimate combo decks in my play group which sucks for playtesting. Having one to mix it up with at monthlies and side events is fun too.

Currently thinking between Elves and ANT since they're both very good and likely to be show up in our 5-9 round tournaments. Open to any suggestions though even if it's something else entirely.

Elves and ANT are both very good combo decks. You could always look in Omniscience and Reanimator

ANT might be good as you could easily make dredge.

I just finished manaless dredge so a friend could play any legacy tournament I went to. I have RUG and U/W, but i broke them down for UWR

Was talking to a buddy of mine who I recently found out used to play Magic back during Revised.

He told me today that his brother confirmed that he has two Force of Wills in his old collection. This after he sold his two original dual lands from his old collection.

Best card I had from back in those days was Vesuvan Doppleganger. :(

MjFrancis

This deck looks like fun. I wonder how stiff the competition was for it to come in first.

http://www.decklists.com.br/decklist-tulio-jaudy-ptq/

U/G Flash

Lands (25)
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Breeding Pool
4 Mutavault
7 Island
6 Forest

Creatures (20)
4 Skylasher
4 Shambleshark
4 Boon Satyr
4 Briarpack Alpha
4 Horizon Chimera

Spells (15)
2 Cyclonic Rift
4 Simic Charm
4 Dissolve
2 Opportunity
3 Syncopate

Sideboard (15)
4 Sensory Deprivation
2 Triton Tactics
3 Gainsay
3 Plummet
3 Bident of Thassa

Karakand

Was talking to a buddy of mine who I recently found out used to play Magic back during Revised.

He told me today that his brother confirmed that he has two Force of Wills in his old collection. This after he sold his two original dual lands from his old collection.

Best card I had from back in those days was Vesuvan Doppleganger. :(

heh, know what you mean. You might have had 4x Underground Seas, but I had 4x ROCK HYDRAS. (So good they had to print a nerfed version in Ice Age.)
Friends don't let friends stay Timmys. :cry:

Speaking of card values, because of its printing in a Commander set I assume Mirari's Wake is a card you see in that format? I was a little shocked when I saw how much my Pro Tour foil was going for on TCGPlayer when I looked it up the other day. Even the original Judgement printing seemed a little high, to be honest...

Grecco

Does anybody know when the pre release for the next theros block set is? also when the qualifiers for the next pro tour are?

also someone explain why stuff on chanel fireball/sc is so expensive vs ebay

I put my tropical island on ebay and nobody seemed interested but chanel fireball has it for more money

Unless something is super hot, you can usually score it for less via Ebay than an online store sells it for.

I believe that Ebay actually helps keep overall values down.

Lucario

So whats the best place to sell stuff then? I got 2 of the onslaught fetch lands a trop and some random stuff to sell

You aren't an established card shop with customer service departments, guarantees, etc. Therefore, you can't realistically expect to get more than free market price for cards. Ebay auctions are likely your best bet -- what you'll get there is fair.

Nobody's gonna pay more than they would on ebay unless they're getting something (like tournament pickups offered by starcity, stock on all popular cards, etc) out of it.

So whats the best place to sell stuff then? I got 2 of the onslaught fetch lands a trop and some random stuff to sell

To get the most value, trade for other cards that you want. If you just want money, it's unrealistic to expect to get retail prices (unless it is something that is extremely sought after at the moment).
It would be nice to be able to get retail. I do know that some people use the tcgplayer.com low values for purchasing. So you may check that to get an idea of what to expect.

split top 8 at the local legacy tournament today. my buddy was in the top spot with my manaless dredge deck.

i wound up walking away with a savannah and a scrubland. he picked up a tropical island and 2 leyline of sanctity

Grecco

You aren't an established card shop with customer service departments, guarantees, etc. Therefore, you can't realistically expect to get more than free market price for cards. Ebay auctions are likely your best bet -- what you'll get there is fair.

Nobody's gonna pay more than they would on ebay unless they're getting something (like tournament pickups offered by starcity, stock on all popular cards, etc) out of it.

Im not expecting more than market prices which is why I put my auctions less than what the cards go for at Channelfirebal/scg

Lucario

Im not expecting more than market prices which is why I put my auctions less than what the cards go for at Channelfirebal/scg

That isn't market price, it's 'sticker price' -- what the retailers decide the card should go for. Market price is what an average ebay auction goes for.

Why would anyone pay the same/very similar amount a retailer charges to a private seller?

Check out sold ebay auctions. That should give you a good ball park. If your feedback is good, you can expect that range.

Fireball and SCG being the 2 largest retailers set their own prices for cards and aren't necessarily a good barometer of what a card is actually worth. If you want a better estimation go on tcgplayer.com and look at the average price or mid price of a card in question. (tcgplayer is a portal that most shops use to sell cards online, it can give you a composite of what cards are selling for in shops) Example tcg mid on a tropical island is $105 channelfireball and SCG price is $119. Keep in mind these are shop prices and aren't necessarily indicative of what you as a private seller should expect to get selling a card online.

That isn't market price, it's 'sticker price' -- what the retailers decide the card should go for. Market price is what an average ebay auction goes for.

Why would anyone pay the same/very similar amount a retailer charges to a private seller?

Check out sold ebay auctions. That should give you a good ball park. If your feedback is good, you can expect that range.

I agree with the above sentiments about using ebay auctions to see what you as a private seller can expect to get for a card monetarily.

kirblar

SCG IRL price = Online Price.

They also have insane customer service. They're pricy, but there are value points rolled into that.

Karakand

They also have insane customer service. They're pricy, but there are value points rolled into that.

And free tokens!!!

RE their customer service: I messed up my payment info on my order last week and they called me personally about it. This was for a very irrelevant purchase (~$10) too.

f0rk

I can't decide if Travis Woo's latest modern deck is good or not. Watching the video of it against UWR made me feel bad though, game 1 the guy was missing land drops and lost because he wasted all his burn and game 2 Vendillion Shackles destroyed any chances he has of finishing.

I need help with a trading decision..

someone on deckbox wants to trade me a Avenger of Zendikar for my Sword of Body and Mind.

I want the Avenger of Zendikar for my Prossh deck but am starting to build an Oona, Queen of the Fae EDH deck and thought that the Sword of Body and Mind would go great in that deck as an extra mill effect.

What do you guys think?

-------------

Also, is Griselbrand a good trade target right now? I thought about trading my Plateau dual land for some cards one of which being Griselbrand. He's banned in EDH and I don't play Legacy so I don't really have any use for him other than just to collect a really cool card or as an investment for future trade.

Hex

Banned
I need help with a trading decision..

someone on deckbox wants to trade me a Avenger of Zendikar for my Sword of Body and Mind.

I want the Avenger of Zendikar for my Prossh deck but am starting to build an Oona, Queen of the Fae EDH deck and thought that the Sword of Body and Mind would go great in that deck as an extra mill effect.

What do you guys think?

-------------

Also, is Griselbrand a good trade target right now? I thought about trading my Plateau dual land for some cards one of which being Griselbrand. He's banned in EDH and I don't play Legacy so I don't really have any use for him other than just to collect a really cool card or as an investment for future trade.

Avenger was just in one of the Commander decks, keep the Sword of get a throw in.
The commander version you can get for around $2

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait, Avenger of Zendikar is/was worth money? I've got like three of that dude floating around, he kept showing up in our drafts and we drafted almost every week back then.

Karakand

What else with Griselbrand? Unless you felt morally wrong about not using a desirable card that's out of print and Reserve Listed that doesn't sound worth it.

Wait, Avenger of Zendikar is/was worth money? I've got like three of that dude floating around, he kept showing up in our drafts and we drafted almost every week back then.

Probably because of Commander, which is why he has shown up in one of the Commander decks as Hex pointed out.

I need one for my Prossh deck.
He'll create all of these 0/1 creatures I can then let Prossh eat.

Top Bottom