• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I need help with a trading decision..

Also, is Griselbrand a good trade target right now? I thought about trading my Plateau dual land for some cards one of which being Griselbrand. He's banned in EDH and I don't play Legacy so I don't really have any use for him other than just to collect a really cool card or as an investment for future trade.

Duals only go up in value, also I personally never trade lands, nor would I recommend that you do so. Having a land base lets you build pretty much any deck. While you don't play legacy today you might in the future. Also you could decide to make a new EDH deck a few months down the line that you could have put the plateau in.

Karakand

Freaking out about my Legacy manabase order that still hasn't arrived. Who ships several hundred dollars worth of cards USPS First Class?

Also, why can't USPS still fix their shitty certified mail tracking?

Not nearly the value of your transaction, but I made a trade via Deckbox and still haven't received the cards he marked as shipped on 12-9. Hopefully the holiday mail has them delayed but I'm starting to get worried.

Yeef

Just did the challenges on the DotP2014 expansion. The storm one was annoying, because there was a solution I had that definitely worked, but the wonky UI made it impossible to do. It involved destroying the great whale while the ETB ability was on the stack. The game mistakenly makes the ability not resolve if the whale dies beforehand.

So, I had to figure out another solution. Felt good when I finally got it though.

y2dvd

New Born of the Gods card is a reprint?

*Springleaf Drum
Artifact
Common
{T}, Tap an untapped creature you control: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Ral Zarek can get some value out of this. In U/W/R, you could possibly get 2 extra mana on Sphinx's Rev on main phase. On opponent's turn, you can get 1 extra Rev. That's assuming you have a soldier token or something out.

Maybe you'll see some Trading Post shenanigans.

ultron87

I suppose that is the one Affinity card that can be printed outside of an artifact set.

I really wish I had bought Opals before the Legendary change.

Karakand

Not nearly the value of your transaction, but I made a trade via Deckbox and still haven't received the cards he marked as shipped on 12-9. Hopefully the holiday mail has them delayed but I'm starting to get worried.

yGvxMbq.jpg

Just did the challenges on the DotP2014 expansion. The storm one was annoying, because there was a solution I had that definitely worked, but the wonky UI made it impossible to do. It involved destroying the great whale while the ETB ability was on the stack. The game mistakenly makes the ability not resolve if the whale dies beforehand.

So, I had to figure out another solution. Felt good when I finally got it though.

It's kind of crummy that you didn't know what was in the deck until you tutored... you don't really play a storm deck blind.

kirblar

How do you feel about TNN's ban/restriction prospects?
It'll get banned. No one wants to be playing with that card for another 20 years, plus it's completely warping the format around itself in incredibly unhealthy ways.

It's behaving just like Misstep.

Hex

Banned
How do you feel about TNN's ban/restriction prospects?

Will not happen.
It is strong, but there are still many ways to deal with it.
Counter it, sweep it, and whatever someone puts on it you can get rid of.
It is nasty, but it is not ban worthy.

Modern decks I am building or plan to (very soon):

Jund
Living End
Owling Mine
Deathcloud

I think that this group feels like some good fun for now. Of course I'd love to go crazy and build Tron, Pod, Zoo, Soul Sisters, Burn, Infect... Soul Sisters is so cheap I may go ahead and do that sooner than later.

Eventually I will...

As for Legacy, no mana Dredge is pretty cheap so that could be a thing for me.

Man this stuff is addictive.

why is jitte dumb?

i just side in manriki and the problem is solved (mirror)

edit : i just built manaless dredge for a friend and he was the first seed into top 8 (we split)

Owling Mine is a terrible deck in Modern. I know there are a lot of people who want it to work, but it's a really, really bad idea. Modern isn't slow enough to let a deck like that work.

MjFrancis

umezawasjitte.jpg

The Jitte isn't much more powerful than the swords, and it's Legendary to boot, so each player only gets to put one on the field at any given time. It's a little more versatile and one mana cheaper though, and that could make up a lot of the difference. At least the Legendary rule has changed, if it were different back then I'm not sure it would have ever been banned in Modern.

swordoflightandshadow1.jpg

swordoffireandice1.jpg

OnPoint

Jitte vs Swords

- Jitte costs 1 less to cast

- Jitte triggers counters for any combat damage, not just damage to player

- Jitte's abilities, once it has counters, can be used at any time

- Those abilities have three relevant uses

I love the Swords, all five, but man, Jitte is just that much more powerful.

MjFrancis

When I look up the swords on MtgTop8 in Modern there's only a few dozen top decks that play either sword.

In Legacy, there's a couple hundred of each.

Jitte in Legacy is in over 1,000 decks. Always a one-of, almost always with a playset of Stoneforge Mystics.

stoneforgemystic.jpg

And most of them also throw in Batterskull.

batterskull.jpg

That must have sucked when they were both in Standard together.

So point taken about Jitte.

OnPoint

Didn't Mystic get banned in Standard? Mostly because of Batterskull?

Man, have I mentioned how much I have always loved Baterskull?

OnPoint

Jace TMS seems to be slowly dropping. Last time he did this I feel like he shot up to new heights shortly after.

Anyone have any ideas on this, and if there will be a rebound? Is now a good time to buy in on him?

OnPoint

So Jace will continue to lose influence while TNN is the marquee threat.

But if TNN gets the ban hammer, Jace will return to where he was?

bigkrev

Didn't Mystic get banned in Standard? Mostly because of Batterskull?

Man, have I mentioned how much I have always loved Baterskull?

Caw Blade kind of broke the format, and this was the beginning of the SCG effect that led to the deck being constantly iterated on. By the time Caw Blade had basically become the best non-combo deck in the history of standard, it was too late to change Batterskull. SFM and Jace both got the Axe.

Jace TMS seems to be slowly dropping. Last time he did this I feel like he shot up to new heights shortly after.

Anyone have any ideas on this, and if there will be a rebound? Is now a good time to buy in on him?

As others mentioned, it's TNN. Also, FTV 20 copies might be getting out in the wild more?

i think you forget that Caw-Blade also became a combo deck by adding 2 cards.

that was the version right before the ban anyway

that's a fair assessment on-point

OnPoint

Sucks because it's impossible to predict where the format is going to go...

And I'm 50/50 on TNN and its potential banning.

I feel like it must be hard to balance formats. Unless they know exactly what they're doing and they're laughing at us peons all scrambling to make sense of it.

kirblar

Not sure what you mean by this. Before TNN, Jace was good against fair decks. He was slow against combo, but so is everything tbh
What metagame were you looking at? He had been pretty marginalized.
I feel like it must be hard to balance formats. Unless they know exactly what they're doing and they're laughing at us peons all scrambling to make sense of it.
It's not hard to not print TNN as-is if you have a modicum of common sense as a developer. (I don't blame the multiplayer guy who designed it.)

Exokell

Banned
How can a 3 mana creature be so powerful in legacy, when its filled with counter magic, turn 3 kill and 1 mama sweepers. Isn't 3 mana be like a wincon or some shit in legacy. Lol at people even comparing jitte to sofi and sols. Its like comparing drs to lanowar elf.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Playing TNN frees up SB slots for more anti-combo -> People switch from combo to aggro because aggro gets TNN -> Everyone's just trying to get their TNN out first.

Also it's in blue so they get to play the full suite of counters as well as the new best creature in Legacy.

kirblar

How can a 3 mana creature be so powerful in legacy, when its filled with counter magic, turn 3 kill and 1 mama sweepers. Isn't 3 mana be like a wincon or some shit in legacy. Lol at people even comparing jitte to sofi and sols. Its like comparing drs to lanowar elf.
My mind is blown at the ignorance.

Top Bottom