• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
How can a 3 mana creature be so powerful in legacy, when its filled with counter magic, turn 3 kill and 1 mama sweepers. Isn't 3 mana be like a wincon or some shit in legacy. Lol at people even comparing jitte to sofi and sols. Its like comparing drs to lanowar elf.

image.php

kirblar

I think u guys are overreacting. Like with jund in modern.
Why do you think it's an overreaction? If you think people are calling for bans because they're scrubby, rather than because they think it will improve the health of the format, I don't know what I can say to convince you.

TNN has caused U-based creature strategies to become warped around it. It has pushed non-DnT non-U creature strategies completely out of the format. This is causing the format, in turn, to become incredibly hostile to combo decks. This is a problem. TnT is not only making U-based creature mirrors suck, its warping the metagame and making U-based aggro the only thing you should be doing in the format.

OnPoint

I was thinking about building a Mono Black land/hand destro build but I'm thinking about switching to UB because of TNN providing a win con and counter suite. I'm no Legacy expert, but even withou tmy line of thinking, it really is warping things.

Exokell

Banned
Legacy will fix itself out. People will just properly sideboard for it. What I've learned in magic is free spells are a bad thing, and TNT is not free. I say just wait it out.

kirblar

I was thinking about building a Mono Black land/hand destro build but I'm thinking about switching to UB because of TNN providing a win con and counter suite. I'm no Legacy expert, but even withou tmy line of thinking, it really is warping things.
Please don't follow Reid down the Pox rabbit hole. :(

OnPoint

Please don't follow Reid down the Pox rabbit hole. :(

That's not my intent.

My thinking is that Sinkhole + Hymn + Edicts + Liliana is powerful. I was already thinking of this before Reid came out with that deck (I think some past posts on here would back that up) and I'm a little miffed that he kind of got there before me, though he is a pro lol

The build I originally wanted to do would play those cards, and then play Chalice of the Void to lock out 1CC cards, with my deck not playing any 1CC cards. I still like the idea... but I don't know if I can decline to play Thoughtseize/Inquisition and keep up.

I like the idea of Monoblack for the consistent mana base, and the lack of a need to play duals+fetches. However, blue offers a lot to a deck like this. Also green does too, if I wanted Shaman+Decay. I just want something consistent, disruptive and powerful.

kirblar

The problem with Sinkhole is that it's a card that's only good if you're ahead, and it's difficult for the mono-B deck to leverage it.

Chalice without Sol-lands is pretty irrelevant.

OnPoint

The problem with Sinkhole is that it's a card that's only good if you're ahead, and it's difficult for the mono-B deck to leverage it.

Chalice without Sol-lands is pretty irrelevant.

I considered having the Sol-lands in. Also considered Dark Ritual specifically for Chalice on turn 1. Wasteland was a thought, as Sinkhole+Wasteland+Chalice would probably be game over for most decks if I could land it. It's something I never actually sat down to sketch out and build, it's just an idea I've been tossing around in my head.

Owling Mine is a terrible deck in Modern. I know there are a lot of people who want it to work, but it's a really, really bad idea. Modern isn't slow enough to let a deck like that work.

It's just for fun.

I have a deck called Relics of Doom which is an artifact deck using Howling Mine and a lot of artifacts. After seeing Owling Mine in action it just looked fun to me and reminded me of Relics of Doom because of all of the card drawing.

Karakand

why is jitte dumb?

i just side in manriki and the problem is solved (mirror)

I find it too utilitarian and recursive for its casting costs. (Being an artifact exacerbates these problems.) It wasn't properly tested with the removal activated ability and it shows.

I think people that play POX hate everything and everyone

including themselves

It has a certain nostalgia appeal. (See also: Legacy Burn.)

I viewed it as Reid putting on the "Zaraki Kenpachi Eyepatch" unintentionally.

lmao

Yeef

When should we start seeing previews of the next set in the Theros block? Should be soon, right, release is in February?
Official spoilers start January 6th; but we'll probably get some initial spoilers next week, just like last year when all the Gatecrash mechanics were revealed the week of Christmas.

I'm thinking about getting started into the world of EDH, and I was wondering if the prebuilt decks that are out right now are any good. Is there anyone that is better than the other?

An-Det

I'm thinking about getting started into the world of EDH, and I was wondering if the prebuilt decks that are out right now are any good. Is there anyone that is better than the other?

I've been playing the Prossh deck since I dont have my own actual deck. It's pretty fun, and can do some good stuff. Prossh himself is fantastic.

only lost one game last night in the legacy tournament. wound up winning a bayou

Congrats! What did you play?

UWR delver, again

won two duals sunday, then one yesterday

it was a 7:00 tournament which didnt start on time and was 5 rounds. every round went to time. they said there'd be a top 8, but right before the last round the TO said it would just be standings

Try the dragon one. It has a dragon for its commander (and it's fun).

The enter the battlefield effect seems really crazy on that guy.

What are your guys' opinion on the Oloro (Eternal Bargain) deck? It seems like the life gain effects on him could be pretty handy, or is 2 life not that significant in EDH?

Also what are your guys' opinion on the Mind Seize deck? Everywhere I go people keep calling it the "value" deck, but is it any good to play?

OnPoint

The enter the battlefield effect seems really crazy on that guy.

What are your guys' opinion on the Oloro (Eternal Bargain) deck? It seems like the life gain effects on him could be pretty handy, or is 2 life not that significant in EDH?

Also what are your guys' opinion on the Mind Seize deck? Everywhere I go people keep calling it the "value" deck, but is it any good to play?

It's the "value" deck due to Baleful Strix and True Name Nemesis.

As for how it plays, I'm not sure. But I know I had a hell of an awesome time with Evasive Maneuvers the other night. I was making a token and drawing 5 cards every turn. Like, my opponents turns. It was awesome.

ultron87

I don't see how the Mind Seize Commander would ever survive an entire turn and manage to attack to get to cast a spell for free. Especially if it hit something dangerous. But I suppose that is what your various HasteProof boots are for.

I don't see how the Mind Seize Commander would ever survive an entire turn and manage to attack to get to cast a spell for free. Especially if it hit something dangerous. But I suppose that is what your various HasteProof boots are for.

I switched out commanders to the guy that is a howling mine and everyone else takes a damage when they draw

i also based my deck around a windfall kill

f0rk

Bought all the cards for Modern UWR control and played it for the first time at FNM tonight. Went 2-1-1, Beat Merfolk and Tron, drew to Junk 1-1 and lost to UWR Geist. Quite happy with it, Blade Splicer definitely isn't awful but I need to play more to decide whether the more tempo version with Geist really is just better. Geist is definitely better in the mirror but against other decks 3 Blade Splicers + 4 Restoration Angels can still put on a lot of pressure and are much better on the defense.

The other route is getting some Cliques (which I should probably have anyway) and Kiki-Jikis and play the UWR combo/tempo list I've seen the winner of GP Antwerp is testing. I should probably not spend more money on Magic for a while though.

Karakand

So do you guys think TNN is worth the asking price now? Or do you think it can swing in the coming months?

why don't u tell us mr. DRACOGENIUS

Is the Firemend a part of Niv-Mizzet's sentience or something that Niv-Mizzet created?

Can you address millennia-old dracogeniuses by human honorifics like Mister?

bigkrev

So do you guys think TNN is worth the asking price now? Or do you think it can swing in the coming months?

If it gets banned (and I think there is a good chance of that happening in the next year), the value will tank. I think there will still be ample supply of the decks at places like Target by the next time the B&R list is revised, which means the price shouldn't go up that much. If it survives, and you think you will need them, that's when you grab them

Bought all the cards for Modern UWR control and played it for the first time at FNM tonight. Went 2-1-1, Beat Merfolk and Tron, drew to Junk 1-1 and lost to UWR Geist. Quite happy with it, Blade Splicer definitely isn't awful but I need to play more to decide whether the more tempo version with Geist really is just better. Geist is definitely better in the mirror but against other decks 3 Blade Splicers + 4 Restoration Angels can still put on a lot of pressure and are much better on the defense.

The other route is getting some Cliques (which I should probably have anyway) and Kiki-Jikis and play the UWR combo/tempo list I've seen the winner of GP Antwerp is testing. I should probably not spend more money on Magic for a while though.

He keeps stripping more and more Splinter Twins from the list, pushing it less and less combo and more and more midrange. Soon he's going to realize that he just might win more games by switching the Kikis for Geists and just stop playing combo altogether. ;)

If you look at the other cards banned in legacy and why they were banned, TNN doesn't even remotely approach the level of brokeness or being that unfair.

"where did True-Name touch you?"

f0rk

He keeps stripping more and more Splinter Twins from the list, pushing it less and less combo and more and more midrange. Soon he's going to realize that he just might win more games by switching the Kikis for Geists and just stop playing combo altogether. ;)
Yeah that's a good point. I don't really like geist that much though, it seems either good or awful. Maybe a sideboard card for the mirror and decks you have to race like tron. I do like 4 Restoration Angels though, I was never sad to see one alone and going off on a Blade Splicer was always great. Cutting 2 Splicers for Cliques is probably going to happen though.

Firemind

why don't u tell us mr. DRACOGENIUS

Is the Firemend a part of Niv-Mizzet's sentience or something that Niv-Mizzet created?

Can you address millennia-old dracogeniuses by human honorifics like Mister?

I'M NIV-MIZZET'S OMNISCIENCE, NOT NIV-MIZZET'S FINANCIAL MARKET ANALYST.

NOW ANSWER MY QUESTION, FEEBLE MORTAL, OR ENDURE THE BRILLIANCE OF THE IZZET LEAGUE.

OnPoint

yep,this and the "camera match poison" rule also exists, leading to stuff like Second Sunrise getting banned all exist.

That's not why Sunrise was banned and you know it. The deck took like 15 minutes to complete going off in real life. That's not fun for ANYONE, not just the people watching streams. Brian Kibler writing F6 on a sheet of paper and walking away was an amazing way to display that.

Eggs made every round of a Modern tournament go significantly past time, which meant the tournaments finished late. Consistently. Being boring wasn't why it got banned; screwing with tournament logistics was.

Top Bottom