• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I played Commander yesterday and played Power Hungry with Prossh. My opponent played Mind Seize with Thraximundar and seriously gave me a hard run for many games.

Thraximundar basically has Annihilator 1 on creatures. It was making it hard to block him.
And there were times when I did have Prossh out, he had the deathtouch Strix out or two different creatures with flying that prevent combat damage to them. Therefore he had these eternal blockers that would stop Prossh. It was annoying.

I need to add some more removal into the deck I think because it doesn't have much.

kirblar

What do you think of these "14 predictions for 2014"?

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/blake...ly-incorrect-wishes-and-predictions-for-2014/

I do think that fetch lands are coming, perhaps 2015 if not 2014.

Thassa does seem really good, like maybe Modern good. A 3 mana indestructible 5/5 that can make a creature unblockable, AND grant a scry every upkeep? That's a lot of stuff for a 3 CMC card.
I've thought that M15 was the perfect place to reprint them as well. 3 months of insanity in Standard and would explain why the scrylands are so damn slow.

I've thought that M15 was the perfect place to reprint them as well. 3 months of insanity in Standard and would explain why the scrylands are so damn slow.

I don't think fetches are a core set card. I think it's more likely that they print them with the new block in September/October. This would give the fetches a solid 2 year run in standard and help bring the prices down, and make modern that much more accessible. Personally, I believe the Zendi's are going to be reprinted and I highly doubt that the onslaught ones will get reprinted. The primary reason being I don't think that wizards wants all 10 in Modern.

kirblar

I don't think fetches are a core set card. I think it's more likely that they print them with the new block in September/October. This would give the fetches a solid 2 year run in standard and help bring the prices down, and make modern that much more accessible. Personally, I believe the Zendi's are going to be reprinted and I highly doubt that the onslaught ones will get reprinted. The primary reason being I don't think that wizards wants all 10 in Modern.
I stopped reading at the bolded part. If you think they're off limits, I just... no.

I stopped reading at the bolded part. If you think they're off limits, I just... no.

Believe what you want to about the onslaught ones, I personally doubt it but I've heard arguments both ways. As far as fetches being in a core set, get real. Consider how long core sets are drafted, wizards stated goal of getting more people into modern, and recent examples of where staple cards are printed.

Also even if you are correct and the onslaughts are coming it's not viable to print 10 fetches in a core set. It would make far more sense to spread them out over a block, hence why M15 is not the place for fetches.

As I final point NO I don't think they are "off limits" as you put it. Quite conceivably, they could reprint the fetches in a special set, FTV or something. That wouldn't fall under the modern playable category. Wizards has been quite forceful/controlling of the modern format, a wariness on their part to bring in all 10 fetches, seems par for the course to me.

kirblar

I consider the viewpoint that "10 fetches is too much for Modern" a complete delusion fabricated by invested Legacy players that don't want to lose $500 in value overnight. There's no "good" arguments, only bad ones put forward by self-deluded fools

I consider the viewpoint that "10 fetches is too much for Modern" a complete delusion fabricated by invested Legacy players that don't want to lose $500 in value overnight. There's no "good" arguments, only bad ones put forward by self-deluded fools

No argument on that front, I don't have binders of fetches laying around and frankly I would love a reprint. For the record I would chuck the reserved list too. I'm a gamer not a collector. But I still would love to hear your argument why fetch lands that haven't been printed since 2002, in a format that has been codified since 2011. And in the format that has been the most heavily policed/banned Wizards is suddenly going to open itself up to 10 fetch lands, particularly when MM avoid the fetch land base all together.

kirblar

No argument on that front, I don't have binders of fetches laying around and frankly I would love a reprint. For the record I would chuck the reserved list too. I'm a gamer not a collector. But I still would love to hear your argument why fetch lands that haven't been printed since 2002, in a format that has been codified since 2011. And a format that has been the most heavily policed/banned is suddenly going to open itself up to 10 fetch lands, particularly when MM avoid the fetch land base all together.
Because they need to be. They're not considered "too good." It took 7 years to get enemy fetches. They're not off limits, they just don't like all the shuffling that goes along with them, and so they don't want them around often. (Notice how there's very few shuffle effects in Standard right now? They contribute to rounds taking longer.)

Wynnebeck

Banned
What do you think of these "14 predictions for 2014"?

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/blake...ly-incorrect-wishes-and-predictions-for-2014/

I do think that fetch lands are coming, perhaps 2015 if not 2014.

Thassa does seem really good, like maybe Modern good. A 3 mana indestructible 5/5 that can make a creature unblockable, AND grant a scry every upkeep? That's a lot of stuff for a 3 CMC card.

Was looking at a recent rumor about Born of the Gods making a sort of spiritual successor to Dark Confidant and my friends talked about how a card of that nature would be almost broken in the current format if ran with Thassa. By turn three, you have an almost efficient scry machine that if played correctly gives you almost complete control of your top deck. Throw in some other stuff like Omenspeaker, Dissolve, Pilfered Plans, Read the Bones, etc. and nobody is leaving FNM happy anymore.

Speaking of FNM, I was one win away from Top 8 for the first time with my Esper deck, but I lost to the most basic Gruul deck ever due to mana flooding. I almost wanted to flip the table , but the guy felt sorry for me and gave me a Nykthos as a symbol of friendship. I couldn't stay mad after that.

kirblar

Was looking at a recent rumor about Born of the Gods making a sort of spiritual successor to Dark Confidant and my friends talked about how a card of that nature would be almost broken in the current format if ran with Thassa. By turn three, you have an almost efficient scry machine that if played correctly gives you almost complete control of your top deck. Throw in some other stuff like Omenspeaker, Dissolve, Pilfered Plans, Read the Bones, etc. and nobody is leaving FNM happy anymore.

Speaking of FNM, I was one win away from Top 8 for the first time with my Esper deck, but I lost to the most basic Gruul deck ever due to mana flooding. I almost wanted to flip the table , but the guy felt sorry for me and gave me a Nykthos as a symbol of friendship. I couldn't stay mad after that.
MaRo mentioned Sylvan Library could be done in UB nowadays, which seems to hint at the rumored card. (Scry, then Confidant every turn?)

Wynnebeck

Banned
MaRo mentioned Sylvan Library could be done in UB nowadays, which seems to hint at the rumored card. (Scry, then Confidant every turn?)

Yeah, that's the theory. Sylvan Library is a little better due to you only having to pay 4 life per card as opposed to Confidant where you lose life equal to its CMC and is required. The scry from Thassa or Omenspeaker would offset that.

OnPoint

So would they do a card like

Confidant Successor UB

Creature - Wizard Human

Reveal top card of library during upkeep,
lose life equal to CMC, put card in hand.

1/2

You think?

kirblar

If it's 3 mana and scry 1 + bob, its standard playable, possibly modern as a 1-2x in decks that want bob. If it's 2 mana? Modern/Legacy playable immediately.

Believe what you want to about the onslaught ones, I personally doubt it but I've heard arguments both ways. As far as fetches being in a core set, get real. Consider how long core sets are drafted, wizards stated goal of getting more people into modern, and recent examples of where staple cards are printed.

Also even if you are correct and the onslaughts are coming it's not viable to print 10 fetches in a core set. It would make far more sense to spread them out over a block, hence why M15 is not the place for fetches.

As I final point NO I don't think they are "off limits" as you put it. Quite conceivably, they could reprint the fetches in a special set, FTV or something. That wouldn't fall under the modern playable category. Wizards has been quite forceful/controlling of the modern format, a wariness on their part to bring in all 10 fetches, seems par for the course to me.

The main argument against putting them in core set is that you're spending ten rare slots on a card that confuses new players. How do I explain that a land that makes me lose one life for a single effect just to go grab a land from my deck (and they're only thinking about basics at this point) is actually really, really good?

And they're not reluctant to print the other fetches. It's actually really warping on deck construction that you can only use half of the color pairs for fetchlands. They just haven't had the right set to print them in, and modern hasn't been a format long enough to have a serious impact on their long-term design and development schedule.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Kid eats a $1 bill for a booster box of MTG Ravnica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYf75D6Jw0M

I would have eaten 5 $1 bills. I had a pair of concert tickets for this Saturday that I bought for $116. I can't go and put my tickets on sale for Craigslist where 3 people bid until the price reached $260. I'm tempted to take $100 of the money and buy a Ravnica or Theros box and try to make some more money from the possible money cards. Good idea or just save the money for now?

G.ZZZ

Unban Survival plox. Getting swarmed by Vengevines is much more funnier than just staring down unremovable merfolks that kick you in the nuts.
And maybe we'll switch a bit away from blue. TNN is making absolutely everything blue, just when DRS gave us a nice lineup of good non-blue decks in Legacy. Sigh.

Firemind

It's only natural. Blue IS the master colour.

That said, TNN basically created a new archetype by itself in cube: blue/x aggro. Slap a sword on it and enjoy a swift death. It's a bit ridiculous, really. I already won one queue with it. White is a good supporting colour as nobody really wants the weenies and you can pick up some powerful cards like Armageddon if you're lucky. I imagine black and red can also fit in quite nicely with blue. Maybe green if you happen to get accelerators, sylvan library, trygon predator, plow under, thrun and other nonsense.

tl;dr TNN is GOAT

OnPoint

That said, TNN basically created a new archetype by itself in cube: blue/x aggro. Slap a sword on it and enjoy a swift death. It's a bit ridiculous, really. I already won one queue with it. White is a good supporting colour as nobody really wants the weenies and you can pick up some powerful cards like Armageddon if you're lucky. I imagine black and red can also fit in quite nicely with blue. Maybe green if you happen to get accelerators, sylvan library, trygon predator, plow under, thrun and other nonsense.

tl;dr TNN is GOAT

Actually, a UW True Name-ageddon deck might not be the worst idea.

Crocodile

tl;dr TNN is GOAT

I know you're talking specifically about the MODO Cube but in general, blue based tempo has been a viable strategy in most Cubes that care to support it for a while. TNN, Thassa, Master of Waves and Duskmantle Seer are all cards printed in the last year that do much to bolster this archetype though.

Firemind

Not sure how good Thassa is in cube, but I do know Wakethrasher is a beating but is prone to draw removal. TNN doesn't have that problem fortunately.

Usually, drafting blue in powered cube means drafting controlling cards rather than aggressive cards. Sure, Meloku can be aggressive, but it can also be used to stall the board. In the case of Venser Shaper Savant, Glen Elendra Archmage and Sower of Temptation, they present value for a low cost. As you can tell, blue in cube generally misses the 2 and 3 drops that the other colours can provide. TNN fills that hole and is ridiculously hard to stop once it resolves. No control deck wants it, so it's usually up for grabs, until people catch on that is.

OnPoint

Finally finished my Stoneforge playset. I think that card is primed to hit $20 easy in the next 6 months.

Anyone else think any other cards are going to jump soon?

Karakand

I'M NIV-MIZZET'S OMNISCIENCE, NOT NIV-MIZZET'S FINANCIAL MARKET ANALYST.

NOW ANSWER MY QUESTION, FEEBLE MORTAL, OR ENDURE THE BRILLIANCE OF THE IZZET LEAGUE.

WLrSX6s.gif

e: As others said, it's a risky jump until the reprints hit the market and it survives a Banned & Restricted List announcement.

yep,this and the "camera match poison" rule also exists, leading to stuff like Second Sunrise getting banned all exist.

Yeah, if they want to ban it it doesn't have to be because it's warping the format.

Not exactly the same, but does share some similarities.

Image.ashx

About how much is reasonable for three booster boxes, one each of the Innistrad block? eBay is showing $125 to $150 a box -- seems a bit high?

I'm thinking about selling them. =)

Got 'em, never got around to playing much during that block so still have them unopened. I guess I could wait a bit if they are still going up, however.

OnPoint

As long as Liliana is a card that sees a lot of play in Legacy and Modern and she doesn't get a high volume reprint, Innistrad will continue to balloon in price.

Snapcaster will also keep the set's value slightly higher than it would without, as will Geist of St Traft.

I saw this for Born of the Gods... just a spoiler rumor I guess.

Seer of Phenax 1B Creature When ~ etb, scry 3, then put the top card of your library into your hand and lose life = it's cc 1/3

So not nearly as consistent as Bob, but still neat. Restoration Angel would go nicely with it.

ultron87

I managed not to totally waste my money on Holiday Cube by winning two matches so far. So I can do another one at least. Yay! Paying five bucks each for two drafts seems acceptable. This is what I got:

NsPXjmk.png

I was originally hoping for some sort of reanimator thing since I had Entomb and Animate Dead but the ramp into it instead strategy seemed better and more open. Admittedly the lack of big green things to ramp into is slightly awkward. But Polukranos and Silverheart on early turns have been pretty effective. Especially against the poor red deck in Round Two.

I won the first match against a deck that had a turn where it Time Spiraled, Time Twistered, Wheel of Fortuned and a bunch of other nonsense only to end up doing nothing. But it sure was impressive. Then on the next turn MTGO bugged and he couldn't pay for one of the two Slaughter Pacts he cast for some reason. I felt slightly bad about this, but he wouldn't have had time to finish the third game anyway.

And yeah, beta client. It was what I had downloaded on my parent's laptop at some point when it was the only option and I just wanted to play.

An-Det

That was one of the nice touches I enjoyed about Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014. Some cards like It That Betrays have unique moving art when you zoom in on the card. I'd love to see that happen more often since it looks freaking awesome.

f0rk

On Cheon's cube stream he had Tamiyo emblem and was getting his opponent with recurring Avalanche Riders while having FoW and 2 blue cards including an Intuition which was basically a triple tutor. Pretty ridiculous position.
Then he almost lost when his opponent played out his hand of mana artifacts into a Bloodbraid Elf which hit Brain Storm with storm count 6 lol. Only reason he didn't lose is the multiple Force of Wills on half the copies. He then had a hand of like 15 cards and won next turn with Recurring Nightmare for Inferno Titan.

Some crazy stuff happens in Cube, I did to get in on some of the local ones.

Top Bottom