• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The silverblade paladin and champ of the parish are the biggest ones, but the extra boros charms, the ash zealot, all those boros elites, thalia, and the two truefire paladins are all cards i'd like to have as well as clifftop retreat and slayer's stronghold

How much are they as singles? That pretty much what determines if it's worth it.

Hex

Banned
What do you want from it? Event decks are almost never worth the money.

The last few cycles of event decks have far exceeded their price.
The boros one includes Clifftop Retreat, Ash Zealot, Champion of the Parish, Silverblade Paladin, Spark Trooper, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 2x Boros Charm, 2x Oblivion Ring all making it well worth over the MSRP

The last one had a dual and a Thrag Tusk and a Wolfrir SilverHeart.
And the Simic one while not as good as the Boros has Dungeon Geists, Wolfir Silverheart, Yeva, Nature's Herald, 4x Farseek, Thragtusk, 3x Strangleroot Geist, 3x Rancor

The last few cycles of event decks have far exceeded their price.
The boros one includes Clifftop Retreat, Ash Zealot, Champion of the Parish, Silverblade Paladin, Spark Trooper, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 2x Boros Charm, 2x Oblivion Ring all making it well worth over the MSRP

No, it really doesn't unless you need cards that bad. Most people have commons/uncommons so I can't see adding them, it's usually about the rares. Unless it's some pricey uncommon you can get it for like $.20. It literally comes down to the rares and if you need them. It goes by the person, whether it's "worth" more if you add in all the 5 cent commons or not, if you just need say and ash zealot, then it's not worth buying the event deck just for that.

Edit: To your edit, most of those are cheap cheap cards. Yeva is a $.50 card and Geists is $1, that's not hitting $25 with the rares. The most pricey is Thrag which is $15 but might even drop slightly due to the event decks. Unless you need thragtusk then there's no point in that deck. It having 4x farseek has not monetary value, even if it is a good card.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No, it really doesn't unless you need cards that bad. Most people have commons/uncommons so I can't see adding them, it's usually about the rares. Unless it's some pricey uncommon you can get it for like $.20. It literally comes down to the rares and if you need them. It goes by the person, whether it's "worth" more if you add in all the 5 cent commons or not, if you just need say and ash zealot, then it's not worth buying the event deck just for that.

Edit: To your edit, most of those are cheap cheap cards. Yeva is a $.50 card and Geists is $1, that's not hitting $25 with the rares. The most pricey is Thrag which is $15 but might even drop slightly due to the event decks. Unless you need thragtusk then there's no point in that deck. It having 4x farseek has not monetary value, even if it is a good card.

Thrag is 15, 2xBoros charm is 8, thalia is 7, silverblade is 12...

That's $42 of cards for $20.

Thrag is 15, 2xBoros charm is 8, thalia is 7, silverblade is 12...

That's $42 of cards for $20.

Boros charm is $3 and it's not going to stay there. Unless you're selling immediately you won't see it. The Boros one is a lot better and the one with wolfir and thrag at the time was more than the price of the deck but not silverheart is like $2.50 again. Again, if it's cheaper than the singles you need then it's definitely worth it, I said that in my first post...

Edit: What? Thrag isn't in the boros deck and event decks are $25... How the hell did you get $42 for a $20 deck?

Currently seated at table 681 at the largest Magic tournament in history - Grand Prix Charlotte. 2691 players. Nuts. They had to divide it into 2 tournaments because of software limitations. Just finished registering a sealed pool; waiting to receive the one from which I'll build my deck.

The pool I registered is interesting. It has 3 Slyknight Legionairres and 3 Dimir Charms; there is a Merciless Eviction and a Firemane Avenger. Not sure how I would build it if I had to. Oh and there is a Breeding Pool too.

My girlfriend just texted and told me her Gold Rush pack has an Unlimited Tropical Island in it. Nice! Mine had an Unlimited Disintegrate :p

Takuan

So the Boros Event Deck is really worth the money, right?

It is a terrific value at MSRP. The only card I can see dipping heavily is Clifftop Retreats. Everything else should retain future value, and may even go up (Thalia is predicted to rise once she goes out of print due to her use in Legacy, Silverblade probably has Modern applications, Ash Zealot may become even more relevant upon rotation).

If it's being price-gouged, however, just buy the singles you want and be done with it.

An-Det

I'll grab the Simic one at some point for Thragtusk, Rancors, and Wolfir Silverheart. Already £21 of singles there, and I can pick the deck up for £17. The deck doesn't even make sense though to me in terms of something to play with.

Plus outside of Clifftop retreat, I have most of the decent cards from the Boros deck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We're live. And SCG stays acting like a child and closing chats because trolls exist on the internet.

And is this draft the entire time?

An-Det

We're live. And SCG stays acting like a child and closing chats because trolls exist on the internet.

And is this draft the entire time?

Sealed for all 9 rounds day 1, then using the same sealed pools for the first 2 rounds day 2. Then it's 2 drafts (6 rounds) before the cut to top 8 (which is another draft). 20 rounds total.

Sinatar

JJYfmje.jpg

Yes. I just lost with 4 worldspine wurms in play.

WanderingWind

Sealed for all 9 rounds day 1, then using the same sealed pools for the first 2 rounds day 2. Then it's 2 drafts (6 rounds) before the cut to top 8 (which is another draft). 20 rounds total.

Thanks. I've never seen sealed streamed. I've never even seen it played. It's just 6 packs, build your deck, go, right? 40 cards?

f0rk

Only draft ones. Crack a pack, pick one, pass.

Sealed is different, right? Just open what you have, build from there and roll out?

Yeah sealed you just get the 6 packs to yourself. I thought all prereleases were meant to be sealed though. Like how would the RtR and Gatecrash ones work

Yeef

Yeah sealed you just get the 6 packs to yourself. I thought all prereleases were meant to be sealed though. Like how would the RtR and Gatecrash ones work
Prereleases are required to be sealed. If a place is doing draft instead of sealed, they could technically get in trouble with Wizards.

WanderingWind

Those were draft, too in my area. You got to keep the cards wrapped in the clear plastic, but the packs were drafted.

I haven't been to any other preleases though.

On the GP, they are talking about the deck build, talking about key cards and explaining a combo. On SCG, the two guys were giggling at some inside joke about some event 4 years ago that they were both at.

Ah, that's what I meant. I don't think the SCG are ever good. It's not too bad when they're showing a game but when they have to literally bullshit about anything and everything to kill time it's always been pretty awful.

WanderingWind

Ah, that's what I meant. I don't think the SCG are ever good. It's not too bad when they're showing a game but when they have to literally bullshit about anything and everything to kill time it's always been pretty awful.

They need broadcast trained Magic fans. Badly. Magic players giggling about stupid shit is entertaining to nobody.

They need broadcast trained Magic fans. Badly. Magic players giggling about stupid shit is entertaining to nobody.

They just need something to break up the time while waiting. Whether a half assed deck tech or something like the tournaments that wizards host. It's probably going to turn out bad no matter who it is if you have to ramble for that long. It's already been at least half an hour of bullshitting from what I've seen.

bigkrev

I won my gameday today playing the B/G ooze deck that Kibler played at GP AC, but playing Sever over Price. Deck is still sweet, and I beat a bunch of Boros Reckoners on my path to victory.

I shudder to see how many people show up to the Modern Masters GP in Vegas this summer. Should easily break 3k if this many people show up in Carolina.

kirblar

I won my gameday today playing the B/G ooze deck that Kibler played at GP AC, but playing Sever over Price. Deck is still sweet, and I beat a bunch of Boros Reckoners on my path to victory.

I shudder to see how many people show up to the Modern Masters GP in Vegas this summer. Should easily break 3k if this many people show up in Carolina.
It won't- Vegas is much harder to get to. Keep in mind many, many people drive.

Bah, I forgot gameday was today.

WanderingWind

I guess you aren't watching the GP Quebec stream right now. It's a lynch pin in a infinite life, infinite mana, infinite wolves, infite mill combo.

Again, it's Zaraki. He's always, always wrong. If he said the sky was blue, we'd look up and that bitch would be purple.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bwahahahahaha, holy shit. Just bought the Simic intro pack on a whim since I missed the pre-release and wanted a few of the cards in it for an EDH deck. In the two bonus boosters I got an Obzedat and an Aurelia. $45 from a $15 investment, if only I could find a way to scale that up.

kirblar

Bwahahahahaha, holy shit. Just bought the Simic intro pack on a whim since I missed the pre-release and wanted a few of the cards in it for an EDH deck. In the two bonus boosters I got an Obzedat and an Aurelia. $45 from a $15 investment, if only I could find a way to scale that up.
I got $100+ out of my 27 packs I won for a $20 entry fee at Xanadu. :p

Sinatar

It sounds like it. I don't know how I feel about Emissary in huminator... Oh, so, I have infinite wolves and life --- I'll take infinite mana too. That'll help!

The burning tree emmisaries provide the mana for this guy:

Image.ashx

Which lets you mill your opponent out while you go infinite.

Top Bottom