• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

So it's an Obzedat answer, several sets too late to do anything, locked into a triple red casting cost, meaning the spell isn't even splashable.

Maybe something is coming up aside from Dat that we'll need this for.

Playing with the idea of starting Magic again.

Haven't played since Urza's Legacy, sold all my cards.

Is it still pricey?

I see booster boxes are still $100.

Karakand

All in the name of balancing limited play.

Bleugh.

The year is 20XX, Wizards of the Coast is proud to announce the upcoming release of Commander 20XX--now tuned for drafting with your friends.

Mizzium mortars was baller brah

the irony is that no red deck will want this. waste of a rare slot.

Sweepers are OK at rare. :p

Shoulda mentioned Psionic Blast gaining a rarity level when it was functionally reprinted in red. ;)

bigkrev

The year is 20XX, Wizards of the Coast is proud to announce the upcoming release of Commander 20XX--now tuned for drafting with your friends.

Sweepers are OK at rare. :p

Shoulda mentioned Psionic Blast gaining a rarity level when it was functionally reprinted in red. ;)
I'm SHOCKED Char hasn't been reprinted yet. Such a simple and efficient card.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just went 0-3 at FNM before dropping out from anger. 3 rounds of mana screw? This can't be possible. How do you power shuffle twice, riffle shuffle 10 times in a row, and still get mana screwed each game with 23 lands? I damn near wanted to flip the table Francis-style and walk out. Stupid ass game.

It can be pricey. Standard sets stay around $100 a box while standard legal. But as always, singles get expensive.

Back in the day, I always tried to make decks out of commons, very few rares.

I had a badass blue deck with untap creatures and unstable mutations.

I've heard the new cards put way more power into combos that involve rares. True/false/sorta?

If I can get 3/4 solid decks together for around $50-100, I'd consider starting again. Was gonna hit up some Midwest Magic tournaments with the wife (she'd be playing too).

OnPoint

I've heard the new cards put way more power into combos that involve rares. True/false/sorta?

If I can get 3/4 solid decks together for around $50-100, I'd consider starting again. Was gonna hit up some Midwest Magic tournaments with the wife (she'd be playing too).

Your best bet for that is to look up budget decks and see what's out there. I think right now Mono-Red is the best budget deck in the standard field. I don't know what it would run you (someone else here would be more than happy to crunch numbers or maybe suggest other decks). I don't know about 3 or 4 decks for that price range, but again, others definitely are more knowledgable on the pricing of standard right now than I am.

Your best bet for that is to look up budget decks and see what's out there. I think right now Mono-Red is the best budget deck in the standard field. I don't know what it would run you (someone else here would be more than happy to crunch numbers or maybe suggest other decks). I don't know about 3 or 4 decks for that price range, but again, others definitely are more knowledgable on the pricing of standard right now than I am.

Thanks. There's a bunch of stuff on craigslist but I have no idea where to even start right now.

Gonna have to do some research on the current sets.

Karakand

I'm SHOCKED Char hasn't been reprinted yet. Such a simple and efficient card.

Aside from sweepers, do they even print new "deal X damage to opponent, X or Y to you" cards in red anymore? Ash Zealot and Firedrinker Satyr are all I can think of and the semi-symmetry of those cards can be avoided if desired. It might not see a major reprint because it's not focus-tested "fun".

e: Nvm, Chandra's Outrage duh.

e2: No it's not. -_-

Check out Pauper (a common-only format) on Magic: the Gathering Online. The Urza's free cards are still stupidly powerful 15 years later, in pretty much any format imaginable.

esterk

Playing with the idea of starting Magic again.

Haven't played since Urza's Legacy, sold all my cards.

Is it still pricey?

I see booster boxes are still $100.

Depends. If you want a 'top tier' deck, expect to pay a pretty penny. If you want just fun FMN brews, it's not bad. Don't get a box unless you love opening packs (like me), just stick to getting singles. Saves you more money in the long run, with the tradeoff of less excitement.

Right now because we only have one set of decent dual lands (the scry lands are pretty bleh and are priced as such), the money is really going to come from whatever super awesome rares you put in, instead of from the manabase.

rCIZZLE

Just went 0-3 at FNM before dropping out from anger. 3 rounds of mana screw? This can't be possible. How do you power shuffle twice, riffle shuffle 10 times in a row, and still get mana screwed each game with 23 lands? I damn near wanted to flip the table Francis-style and walk out. Stupid ass game.

I ran 23 in my G/W aggro build for a time before upping it to 25. Flooding is much better than not being able to play half or more of my deck.

Also people have posted spoilers on salvation. Spanish, promos.

Got two mechanics shown. Tribute and inspiration.

Tribute gives your opponent the choice of putting X +1/+1 counters on said creature and if not special ability activate.

Inpiration allows you to look at the top card of your deck and if a certain type of card, get put into the battlefield as an enchantment in addition to its other types.

Devourer-of-Hope-Born-of-the-Gods-Spoilers.jpg

Devourer of Hope

Color: Black
Type: Creature - Demon
Rarity: Rare
Set: Born of the Gods

Flying

B, Sacrifice another creature: Regenerate Devourer of Hope.

2B, Sacrifice two other creatures: Destroy target creature.

Firemind

Also people have posted spoilers on salvation. Spanish, promos.

Got two mechanics shown. Tribute and inspiration.

Tribute gives your opponent the choice of putting X +1/+1 counters on said creature and if not special ability activate.

Inpiration allows you to look at the top card of your deck and if a certain type of card, get put into the battlefield as an enchantment in addition to its other types.

what

tumblr_inline_mz86hxafCu1qbcdmp.png

Nessian Wild Devastator [4][G][G]
Creature - Hydra
Tribute 6 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice can put six +1/+1 counters on it.)
When Nessian Wild Devastator enters the battlefield, if tribute hasn’t been paid, you may have it fight target creature.
[6/6]

tumblr_inline_mz86ko2dVS1qbcdmp.png

Creature - Dragon
Flying
[1][R]: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature. That creature can’t block this turn. Activate this ability only if ~ is attacking.
The Akroans adorn their helmets to honor the dragons; not to protect them, for that would be of little help.
[5/4]

tumblr_inline_mz86duZWJn1qbcdmp.jpg

Mediator of the Ideal 4uu

Creature Sphinx

Flying.

Inspiration - Whenever X is untapped, reveal the top card of your library. If it is an artifact, creature, or land you may put it on the battlefield with a Manifestation counter on it. That permanent is an enchantment in addition to its other types.

tumblr_inline_mz86s1s5BD1qbcdmp.png

Silence Sentinel [5][W][W]
Creature - Archon
Flying
When Silence Sentinel attacks, you may return target enchantment card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
[4/6]

f0rk

Inspiration seems it could be pretty ridiculous. To the point the cards with it are probably bad. On untap has some fun combo potential though for the promo.

Tribute seems OK but as usual giving the opponent the choice means it probably won't be good in constructed.

OnPoint

Inspiration is one of those abilities that could be broken on one card that ends up in a bunch of legacy decks, but will suck on everything else.

Tribute could be cool, but I have a feeling it will be wasted.

That dragon feels too highly costed for my tastes, given how aggressive they've been with making dragons good lately.

The big black demon is probably going to go in my mono-Black EDH deck, don't know if he'll fit, but I'll give it a go.

Inspiration is just a tweaked Kinship. Which is fine, but ultimately not that exciting.

I don't think you'll see an Inspiration card "break" legacy. If anything, if there is a super-efficient Inspiration card, it will be in a Jund-style deck that just looks for attrition and wants extra card advantage.

EDIT: I misread this. I guess it only ever triggers on untap? That makes it even less exciting. And less playable.

OnPoint

Inspiration is just a tweaked Kinship. Which is fine, but ultimately not that exciting.

I don't think you'll see an Inspiration card "break" legacy. If anything, if there is a super-efficient Inspiration card, it will be in a Jund-style deck that just looks for attrition and wants extra card advantage.

EDIT: I misread this. I guess it only ever triggers on untap? That makes it even less exciting. And playable.

I don't mean to say the hypothetical card I'm imagining will break the format. I just mean the power level on it will be too high and it will end up Legacy playable.

bigkrev

Tribute could be cool, but man that Hydra is just garbage
Inspiration seems like something that can easily be broken in Eternal or EDH, but i'm sure they figured that out and costed the ability properly.

Tribute could be cool, but man that Hydra is just garbage
Inspiration seems like something that can easily be broken in Eternal or EDH, but i'm sure they figured that out and costed the ability properly.

I'd play that Hydra in just about every green limited deck ever.

EDIT: I forsee a future limited combo. The formerly unplayable Titan of Eternal Fire could end up being a huge enabler for Inspiration if they print it on a bunch of Humans.

f0rk

It's just a 6 mana Vanilla 12/12. No trample or evasion or anything. I'd need to have some way to give it evasion before i'd consider playing it.

That's still good in limited.
Although it's only a 12/12 if they have a creature they don't want you to fight. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, if they have an empty board they don't give you the counters and it's just a 6/6.

A big 12/12 for 6 is nice even then.

If Inpiration gets printed on a 2-3 drop, then yeah it would be broken.

I'm guessing they change the 'artifact, creature, or land' to make it less powerful on cheaper cards. Or the trigger.

Firemind

That dragon feels too highly costed for my tastes, given how aggressive they've been with making dragons good lately.

The dragon is even garbage in my dragon tribal EDH and I'm not that picky. If I wanted to clear a path I'd use Thundermaw and if I wanted to kill a bunch of dorks I'd use Ancient or Bogardan Hellkite.

y2dvd

It's why I kinda stay away from midrange decks. I went 4-0 last night with White Weenies which can get by with very little mana. Hell, I would ship a land to the bottom with a sry if I already had 3 lands in play.

My U/W deck doesn't mind getting mana flooded.

Midrange just seems it can get mana screwed more often.

And yeah, that Warleader Helix art is sweet!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm actually guessing that Inspiration is just "When CARDNAME untaps, do X". I really doubt that they're all that precise effect, or even necessarily similar to it.

lol Turn 2 Goryo's Vengeance win on camera during the Grand Prix. The deck is 8-0.

No way that card doesn't get banned.

The modern format needs a lot of things, but banning entire decks is not one of them. Yes, I do think DRS deserves a ban, but that's not a deck-killing ban, just removing a tool that never should have been printed (why they thought it was okay to print a black mana creature still boggles my mind). Any ban that makes any more decks unplayable is something I am 100% against unless there is clear, repeated, long-term evidence that the deck is unfairly performing.

Wow, I was under the impression that deck was pretty flimsy.

It really is. But any deck can get on a roll.

I can't see the coverage from the airport; is this the version with the new Borborygmos and Lotleth Troll and Necrotic Ooze? Or something different?

Firemind

nope. just emrakul and griselbrand

fist of sun, goryos vengeance and through the breach.

and faithless looting, izzet charm and serum visions to find the pieces.

OnPoint

The modern format needs a lot of things, but banning entire decks is not one of them. Yes, I do think DRS deserves a ban, but that's not a deck-killing ban, just removing a tool that never should have been printed (why they thought it was okay to print a black mana creature still boggles my mind). Any ban that makes any more decks unplayable is something I am 100% against unless there is clear, repeated, long-term evidence that the deck is unfairly performing.

I never said the entire deck should be banned?

They have repeatedly said modern should never have decks that kill before turn 4. Goryo's Vengeance and/or Through the Breach are going to see a ban, and maybe Simian Spirit Guide as well.

There is no combo police piece like Force of Will in Modern to keep things fair. Turn 2 defense is insurmountable for most decks, unless maybe they keep Remand or Mana Leak mana up turn 2.

I never said the entire deck should be banned?

They have repeatedly said modern should never have decks that kill before turn 4. Goryo's Vengeance and/or Through the Breach are going to see a ban, and maybe Simian Spirit Guide as well.

There is no combo police piece like Force of Will in Modern to keep things fair. Turn 2 defense is insurmountable for most decks, unless maybe they keep Remand or Mana Leak mana up turn 2.

Banning Goryo's Vengeance kills the entire deck. It simply won't exist anymore. That's what I'm referring to.

Decks should not be able to consistently go off on turn 2, sure. But this deck has been around for years with no ban. It has been able to do this for a very long time, just not consistently enough. The fact that it's running hot right now is not reason to ban it. You need consistent, repeated, degenerate performances in order to kill an entire deck (that is, if you actually care about the perception of your format, and the perception of Modern really hasn't improved in the past year and a half, despite all of Wizard's efforts).

Also, being a graveyard combo means that it's really easy (post sideboard anyway) to have turn one or even turn zero defense.

EDIT: Also, this is the second time this deck has gone undefeated on day one at a GP. It failed to make top 16 in that tournament.

esterk

Tribute seems interesting, making green cards have a little more complexity and opponent interactions than just 'play big monsters and stuff rawr.' It also kind of lets them get away with playing creatures that basically have other effects attached to them, so they still feel like green cards, since the focus are the creatures.

At the same time, it's an effect where you give your opponent a choice, which usually isn't the best play, seeing as they'll just pick whichever is more advantageous for themselves. Most of those type of effects have never been terribly impressive.

OnPoint

Banning Goryo's Vengeance kills the entire deck. It simply won't exist anymore. That's what I'm referring to.

Decks should not be able to consistently go off on turn 2, sure. But this deck has been around for years with no ban. It has been able to do this for a very long time, just not consistently enough. The fact that it's running hot right now is not reason to ban it. You need consistent, repeated, degenerate performances in order to kill an entire deck (that is, if you actually care about the perception of your format, and the perception of Modern really hasn't improved in the past year and a half, despite all of Wizard's efforts).

Also, being a graveyard combo means that it's really easy (post sideboard anyway) to have turn one or even turn zero defense.

EDIT: Also, this is the second time this deck has gone undefeated on day one at a GP. It failed to make top 16 in that tournament.

OK then Grisselbrand or Emrakul have to go. Probably Grisselbrand, as he allows you to draw into the other answers.

Top Bottom