• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

tumblr_mv3zk6KLnH1rtds8wo1_500.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96426893]Aww, kiora's the only planeswalker in BNG? :([/QUOTE]

I was sad when I found out I will have to wait for my GW Planeswalker.

Crocodile

Modern Event Decks? Interesting development.......

Hey all,
I've recently been playing a fair bit of Hearthstone and while having heaps of fun I'm finding my interest is waning. Magic is obviously a bit more involved and is actually a physical object so I thought I'd try build a cube to add it to my board game collection.

Based on what I've read a cube made from a deck builder's toolkit may be enough to get started but may not have enough cards to play a one colour deck of each type.

I'm open for suggestions to add to a DBT to make a nice range of cards and have enough to build a one colour deck if we feel like it. I doubt my friends will buy their own cards so I'm just trying to make one set we can treat like it's own boardgame when the mood strikes.

Cheers for any and all help :)

If you want some more tips on building a Cube, I suggest checking this recent article out (and the articles + places it links to as well)

ultron87

Awesome! That is super good news. And another avenue to reprint the good stuff.

Problem is it'll probably be impossible to get for MSRP, since unlike the Commander decks, Event Decks aren't going to be at Target and whatnot.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
4 fetchlands.

4 marsh flats huehuehuehuehuehuehuehe

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96426893]Aww, kiora's the only planeswalker in BNG? :([/QUOTE]

Yeah I think the've locked themselves into five plansewalkers a block, so for Large-Large-Small they'll probably (almost) always do 3-1-1

On the topic of returning mechanics I interested in how they are going to do a new spin on bestow. I'd like to see something like breaking the symmetry between the creature and the enchantment buff so you could do stuff like negative bestoways you can toss on an opponent creature.

But I think Maro might have said they won't do that. Or that might have been just in Theros.

Well I think Maro talked about other enchantment-y abilities on creatures than bestow coming up.

Lucario

My guess for the modern first event deck would be something simple and monocolored like merfolk. It follows their previous criteria for event decks: can win at FNM, unplayable at higher level events, probably won't be expensive enough for scalpers to buy every copy, will still be a good value for someone new to the format.

Once a $75 precon passes the $150 mark on tcgplayer (or the $250 mark on starcity), it will become impossible to buy in stores. I think these will be (mostly) practical, although I'm still hopeful that one will have at least a single blue fetch in it.

On the other hand, how much are the people at WoTC freaking out about counterfeits? They could easily use the next year or two to milk the fuck out of their reprintable modern and legacy staples, which means these event decks could be stacked.

Will be interesting to find out.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96489221]Well I think Maro talked about other enchantment-y abilities on creatures than bestow coming up.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm hyped

Bestow ended up being pretty awesome, and everyone likes licids. Would like to see what other design space is there.

OnPoint

My guess for the modern first event deck would be something simple and monocolored like merfolk. It follows their previous criteria for event decks: can win at FNM, unplayable at higher level events, probably won't be expensive enough for scalpers to buy every copy, will still be a good value for someone new to the format.

Once a $75 precon passes the $150 mark on tcgplayer (or the $250 mark on starcity), it will become impossible to buy in stores. I think these will be (mostly) practical, although I'm still hopeful that one will have at least a single blue fetch in it.

On the other hand, how much are the people at WoTC freaking out about counterfeits? They could easily use the next year or two to milk the fuck out of their reprintable modern and legacy staples, which means these event decks could be stacked.

Merfolk? Well, I'm curious to see what the build includes. It needs Mutavault, Cavern of Souls, and Aether Vial to be worthwhile as a deck. I wonder how many of each they'd put in. Maybe they sneak Remand in?

bigkrev

Will be interesting to find out.

Now I'm hyped

Bestow ended up being pretty awesome, and everyone likes licids. Would like to see what other design space is there.

Melira pod deck is my bet. Slightly worse manabase, no Nobel Hierarchs and Thoughtsieze, and the deck consists of a lot of 1 or 2 ofs. They did multiple birthing pod decks in the Event deck series already.

Lucario

Merfolk? Well, I'm curious to see what the build includes. It needs Mutavault, Cavern of Souls, and Aether Vial to be worthwhile as a deck. I wonder how many of each they'd put in. Maybe they sneak Remand in?

Don't need caverns for the precon version, I'd imagine. I did forget about the mutavault price spike though, so that might not be the best idea for an accessible precon.

Maybe they finalized decklists before the spike, and we'll end up with $100 in mutavaults in each one!

Affinity (with only one or two mox opals) can also be built for around 150 on tcgplayer. It's definitely a possibility.

Melira-pod would end up being a generic pod list, likely with a color cut (manabase is $$$), but it's also very possible. I imagine Melira herself will be cut though? WoTC doesn't like putting combos in precons, but this might be an exception.

f0rk

All the top lists in Standard right now seem really straight forward and boring to me right now, I hope the new set will shake it up enough.

Would be great if Tymaret becomes playable between the Rakdos god and some other support.

Lucario

I just realized they can do three-color lists really easily (but jankily) in precons: just toss in reflecting pools and vivid lands. Bam, you have an FNM-ready manabase.

All the top lists in Standard right now seem really straight forward and boring to me right now, I hope the new set will shake it up enough.

Would be great if Tymaret becomes playable between the Rakdos god and some other support.

Would really like to see this. Tymaret is such a fantastic card, it's a real shame that he hasn't seen any play yet.

f0rk

Would really like to see this. Tymaret is such a fantastic card, it's a real shame that he hasn't seen any play yet.

I'm going to try a couple in the side of Rakdos aggro tomorrow I think because I don't know what I'm doing. Seems like he could be breakable eventually with Xathrid Necromancer but it's definitely a few cards short.

bigkrev

I just realized they can do three-color lists really easily (but jankily) in precons: just toss in reflecting pools and vivid lands. Bam, you have an FNM-ready manabase.

Scars Fastlands would also fit the deck. The other thing is it isn't hard to make Melira Pod without any Mythics, but almost impossible to make Affinity without it (Mox Opal is mandatory). They probably will put at least 30 rares in this deck for the price point, but probably no Mythics, or if they do, just 1 or 2 one-ofs.

OnPoint

Melira-pod would end up being a generic pod list, likely with a color cut (manabase is $$$), but it's also very possible. I imagine Melira herself will be cut though? WoTC doesn't like putting combos in precons, but this might be an exception.

If they did this as a functional Pod deck, minus Melira, I wonder if enough people would buy her to put in to cause a jump in price. I doubt it. I also think it would be incredibly stupid of them to put a Pod deck together for Modern without her or Kiki Jiki.

Edit: Also, whoa, when did Karn spike?

Almost guaranteed for a shake-up. There just aren't a ton of multicolor options right now which born should fix with half the guilds being represented in god form, etc.

That said, Thassa and Thoughtseize are probably still gonna wind up being super powerful. But they're really splashy so it' shouldn't affect variety too much. Mono-blue, Esper and Mono-black probably aren't going anywhere.

Lucario

I'm going to try a couple in the side of Rakdos aggro tomorrow I think because I don't know what I'm doing. Seems like he could be breakable eventually with Xathrid Necromancer but it's definitely a few cards short.

Let us know how it goes! Grakl & I brewed a few lists like this, but stopped testing because the mana was lackluster. I want to try again once the rakdos scrygate gets printed.

Scars Fastlands would also fit the deck. The other thing is it isn't hard to make Melira Pod without any Mythics, but almost impossible to make Affinity without it (Mox Opal is mandatory). They probably will put at least 30 rares in this deck for the price point, but probably no Mythics, or if they do, just 1 or 2 one-ofs.

Scars fastlands are a great idea, and will delay their inevitable price spike. I'm not looking forward to the more accessible lands in Modern hitting $10+.

Mox Opal obviously makes affinity a million times better, but there's still an inexpensive and effective build without it, at least for FNM-level play. It still wouldn't be my favorite choice, especially because of how many people already play it as a budget option, but at least I can put Kataki back in my sideboard :p

I'm guessing 20 rares and ~2 mythics per deck, but we'll see. They might not pay much attention to rare count, and just try to make the best lists they can without destroying secondary market values.

If they did this as a functional Pod deck, minus Melira, I wonder if enough people would buy her to put in to cause a jump in price. I doubt it. I also think it would be incredibly stupid of them to put a Pod deck together for Modern without her or Kiki Jiki.

Edit: Also, whoa, when did Karn spike?

Very good point -- Melira could definitely see a huge price spike. She was a 2-of in an event deck, but IIRC the Magic playerbase has doubled since Scars of Mirrodin.

That entire block is due for a price shakeup.

So with Gatecrash, it was another big set, so limited was all GTC. With BotG being a small set, will we be splitting BotG/Theros packs in drafts/sealed?

Lucario

Had kind of a cool idea to downsize my collection:

I have a growing box of $2-$10 cards. They don't fit in my dollar rare binder, and they're all at least two dollars tcgplayer mid. Most are in the ~$3.50 area.

I could just ebay these, but I'm doing two senior projects and a full load of courses next term. I just don't have the time. Also, a bunch are one-ofs, so listing would take forever.

Would anyone be interested in buying unsorted bulk lots of cards like this? Tons of EDH staples are in there too, I counted at least five Greaves, three Sol Rings, three command towers, etc.

How much value would you have to get to consider buying something like this? Like, what would you pay for $125 tcgplayer mid worth of semi-random cards, knowing they're all valuable/playable and there's no bulk? Would it be more if I promised no duplicates?

$200 worth of cards for $100 shipped was the idea, but I have no idea if it's too high or too low or what. I haven't seen lots like this offered before.

Modern Event decks are awesome. I remember saying how cool that would be a few pages back! :D

I hope they have one with Tarmogoyf. LOL

Oh and one of my LGS will probably sell this at MSRP regardless of whatever the street value is. They are the only LGS selling Mind Seize for $30 while the other two have the price jacked up. I swear they just go by SCG pricing.

I've already started asking my LGS if I can pre-order it.
I hope I don't screw myself. lol

It comes with creature tokens, so that should help narrow it down some, right?

New Planeswalker idea:

Liliana, Goth Schoolgirl

+1 Want to grab some coffee?
-3 Nobody understands me like you do.
-9 Stick it in

<[4]3

"zzzzz...."
"WAKE UP! Big brother!"
(drowsily)"uggh... what is it Nissa?"
"Jace! Did you forget? It's your first day of high school! You're going to be late!"

So Modern event "deck," as in singular? I guess best case scenario is some sort of Domain Zoo deck, with a Tarmogoyf and a Geist and some fetchlands, alone with some other goodies? Asking for a Jund-lite deck with a Goyf and a Liliana is too much, especially for something that will be limited.

f0rk

As if it's going to have Goyf lol. They aren't crazy enough to have 1 card that was previously worth more than the whole product.
If it's good value it will probably be because of lots of <$10 cards. I think a Birthing Pod deck is a good shout as it works with a lot of 1-2 ofs.

bigkrev

It's just a singular deck. They switched to one per printing because one was always "the better deck" and lead to people only buying that one and leaving stores with half a box full of a deck no one wanted.

Living End is also a possibility for the deck. It's mostly a bunch of janky commons and uncommons, with 4 Fulminator Mages (My guess is the deck would have 2 of them), a few singleton shocklands (easy), a bunch of Scars Fastlands (easy), and 4 Verdant Catacombs (again, dropped to a 2 of). Sideboard can have 4 Leyline of the Voids. Only issue is if they think they might ban Simian Spirit Guide, they won't print him in here.

Vee_One

I have recently started getting back into Magic (after a decade+ break) and have around 6-700 cards.

Is there any value in me buying 2014 core set pack or am I better off just buying booster packs.

kirblar

Why would they think of banning Simian Spirit Guide? I'm honestly curious about the reasoning for this one.
I've been heavily arguing for this one. It does nothing but enable stupid T2/T3 nutdraws from decks like Living End or Goryo's Breach. (I also think DRS and Splinter Twin are both cards the format would be better off without.)

alternade

Organizing my collection this month. Mostly stuff from the last 3 blocks. Thinking that as long as I keep a playset of each card im ok parting with what ever is left. How do you guys organize your cards. I'm planning to get a binder for each set.

ultron87

I have recently started getting back into Magic (after a decade+ break) and have around 6-700 cards.

Is there any value in me buying 2014 core set pack or am I better off just buying booster packs.

What are you trying to do with Magic?

Play Constructed tournaments? Just buy the singles you need directly. Could start with the an event deck if you want something to build off.

Play casually? An intro deck would be fine probably to start with. Or buy boosters to draft with your friends.

Jaeyden

I'm a little late but a pod deck is a no-go in my opinion. They are just too complex to be a general market product. They're not gonna want to sell decks where the buyer loses the vast majority of their games right off the bat because they don't know the deck. You don't just pick up a pod deck, shuffle and then win based on your draws, a keen sense and reading the cards in your hand. You have to know your deck inside and out to get anything from the pod.

On the other hand my bet is on affinity. It's fast, fits the budget, easy to play (but also has deeper interactions that a player will get over time) and a few pieces were already printed in Modern Masters. Additionally Maro has an affinity for affinity, yeah?

Vee_One

What are you trying to do with Magic?

Play Constructed tournaments? Just buy the singles you need directly. Could start with the an event deck if you want something to build off.

Play casually? An intro deck would be fine probably to start with. Or buy boosters to draft with your friends.

Mostly play casually but I've played enough (and want to) to build my own decks. Eventually tournaments I guess.

I have a decent selection of cards (enough to construct multiple decks of different colours) and am wondering if based on that if there is any point to getting the 2014 set.

Firemind

I've been heavily arguing for this one. It does nothing but enable stupid T2/T3 nutdraws from decks like Living End or Goryo's Breach. (I also think DRS and Splinter Twin are both cards the format would be better off without.)

What does a t2 living end accomplish? Kill a creature and put a 4/4 dork and maybe a 3/4 into play? That or the living end player has to have the nuts draw of land, land, cascade, ssg and one cycler, drawing multiple street wraiths in the process or more ssgs and cyclers. Truly a christmasland scenario. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Do you mean Goryo's Vengeance or Through the Breach?

Top Bottom