• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

An-Det

Was checking the top lists from Prague and saw this awesome deck. I had built something like it a few months ago (not as polished though), so I'm so glad this did fairly well.

Code:
1 Swamp
4 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
4 Marsh Flats
1 Blood Crypt
2 Lavaclaw Reaches
2 Godless Shrine
1 Plains
1 Mountain
26 land

0 creatures

4 Smallpox
4 Boom & Bust
4 Lightning Helix
1 Wrath of God
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lingering Souls
1 Damnation
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
25 other spells

4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Ajani Vengeant
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
9 planeswalkers

2 Wear & Tear
1 Slaughter Games
2 Rakdos Charm
3 Timely Reinforcements
1 Darkblast
2 Terminate
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Engineered Explosives

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96837638]Were people really arguing for banning modern reanimator?

I hate those people :([/QUOTE]
They're idiots. The only thing to touch would be SSG. Deck isn't consistent enough.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96837638]Were people really arguing for banning modern reanimator?

I hate those people :([/QUOTE]

I was. You hate me? :(

I'm not a fan of Turn 2 kills in any format. Regardless of consistency. We all make arguments about interactivity and hating Hexproof but then there are decks like this, that are even less interactive. I'm just not a fan of any solitaire style decks.

red13th

I wish they unbanned stuff to be honest. Like Nacatl, I don't think zoo would be the bogeyman it was back when Modern was created. But I don't think they will unfortunately, since it obsoletes many other cards.

Firemind

I wish they unbanned stuff to be honest. Like Nacatl, I don't think zoo would be the bogeyman it was back when Modern was created. But I don't think they will unfortunately, since it obsoletes many other cards.

agree. zoo not being a deck in modern makes me sad. not that I play zoo, but it's such a famous deck in extended where everyone tries to sideboard against it, it's sad to see it not being a big player anymore.

come to think of it, there are no tier 1 aggro decks besides maybe affinity.

f0rk

That would have been an OK reason if Zoo or another aggro deck besides affinity existed, but it's pretty clear it was the reason for that form of aggro existing rather than just being the best aggro deck.
I think Tribal Flames Zoo with Geist/Deathrite and sometimes Steppe Lynx is still fringe playable though.

kirblar

Wild Nacatl was the cornerstone of the format's premier TEMPO deck. That's why it got axed.

It's banned for a very good reason. It's just too good in a format without StP.

Aggro being bad is a real issue, but unbanning Nacatl doesn't solve it.

Lucario

agree. zoo not being a deck in modern makes me sad. not that I play zoo, but it's such a famous deck in extended where everyone tries to sideboard against it, it's sad to see it not being a big player anymore.

come to think of it, there are no tier 1 aggro decks besides maybe affinity.

Boros is making a comeback, but it's still not good.

Fun fact: before deathrite shaman was printed, there were two or three competitive aggro decks in the format

An-Det

This game is a huge cautionary tale (Finals, G3) - don't aggressively wasteland in a losing position.

Yeah, that made my head turn, that just didn't make sense. Going down on lands isn't going to get you out from behind in the game.

Really glad UWR won though.

Firemind

That format also featured Hexmage-Depths, Thopter-Sword, Hypergenesis, Dredge with GGT, and BBE into Boom-Bust.

Fair enough. Still, there's bolt and pte.

I also think bitterblossom should get a pass, since fairies has a bad matchup against affinity and merfolk, and is probably 50/50 vs jund.

DRS should get banned though I agree.

kirblar

BBlossom is a very, very scary card to unban. You're dropping a pipe bomb in the format. I would not attempt that unless the format was sort of stale/stagnant for an extended period of time.

Kiki Pod or Melira Pod?

I want to build a pod deck but which should I focus on? Thanks.

(I'll likely get the cards for both eventually but I want to ask opinions)

Basically I told my wife today that I'd try and focus on just two Modern decks. lol
Trying to have all the decks is expensive and leaves me a bit unfocused in my purchases and trades.

So any opinions on this?

I've read that Kiki pod relies more on its combo where as Melira pod can win by aggression.

That seems to tell me Melira pod is better.

Lucario

So any opinions on this?

I've read that Kiki pod relies more on its combo where as Melira pod can win by aggression.

That seems to tell me Melira pod is better.

Melira pod is a midrange deck that can combo off.
Kiki-Pod is a combo deck that does midrangey things.

All of your combo matchups with kikipod are abysmal. You go off too slow to beat stuff like Scapeshift.

Melira-Pod is also very fun, and is definitely more competitive in the current metagame. It's packing more disruption, can be very aggressive when it needs to be, and IMHO it has more sideboard flexibility to hate out combo decks.

Jaeyden

The pod chains in kiki are quite fun. I've combo'd off with just a Strangleroot Geist and pod in play which is really cool. Melira can go beat down quite easily if you don't get your pod, it's an extraordinarily diverse deck. Depending on your budget it might just be best to see which pieces you have the most of and go that direction as they are both very fun to play.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Depending on your budget it might just be best to see which pieces you have the most of and go that direction as they are both very fun to play.

Kiki pod:
Approximate deck value: $1,040.27. Cost of cards you don't own: $846.59.

Melira pod:
Approximate deck value: $980.96. Cost of cards you don't own: $440.45.

I'm much closer to Melira pod at the moment.

I have some trades that hopefully go through so I can acquire more pieces. Trading my Plateau for one trade and a bunch of standard stuff for the other trade. :\

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Melira Pod is more fun.

I remember when I tested the two, Kiki was more consistent but the meta's changed by now. I always had more fun with Melira anyway. Kiki is kind of mindless.

Someone on Reddit made a connection that I completely missed about the Inspiration mechanic. Suddenly the inclusion of Springleaf Drum in the set actually makes sense.

OnPoint

So I'm gonna enter a Legacy tourney and the deck I can afford to play and have the cards for is Pox. Much to the chagrin of some posters here.

How important are the four Urborgs?

Firemind

Kinda important if you run multiples of Wastelands, Factories and/or Ports, but otherwise, the deck doesn't actually play Pox, so you should be fine.

I suspect Heroic and Bestow are both out.

Heroic definitely. They want (need?) to dilute it in the Limited environment because Heroic aggro decks are really getting tired at this point.

But I would be shocked if there were no new Bestow creatures. Shocked. It feels like the backbone of the set.

I like Bestow so I would not mind if it were to stay. Unless they print a card that says exile/destroy target creature and all enchantments attached to that creature.
That would suck.

I was looking at the Kiki/Melira Pod deck lists and most of the expense is in the lands that I don't yet have. Arid Mesa, Grove of the Burnwillows, Misty Rainforest.... there's a few hundred dollars right there.

Hero

I suspect Heroic and Bestow are both out.

From listening to Maro's podcast about Theros design it sounded like the Bestow cards in Theros were the vanilla kind and that more abstract/interesting things were put in the later sets but we'll see.

Karakand

I was looking at the Kiki/Melira Pod deck lists and most of the expense is in the lands that I don't yet have. Arid Mesa, Grove of the Burnwillows, Misty Rainforest.... there's a few hundred dollars right there.

On the plus side, you'll be able to use those cards in a ton of decks.

y2dvd

A friend of mines and I drafted today. He had two new players drafting next to him. He got passed a Thoughtseize and a Nykthos. Must be nice. ;\

Inspired
ifIUxkpjsl_EN.jpg
wXHJZFYuK6_EN.jpg

Tribute
BXfs2Ih8NH_EN.jpg

Bestow
oqoKAhnhtO_EN.jpg
4TIOn3XtQW_EN.jpg

Devotion
alGiK6hUEB_EN.jpg

Gods
22FOAgZ8mm_EN.jpg

Heroic
bCXl3Zxdwu_EN.jpg

Archetypes
lrH1kO2K5a_EN.jpg

bigkrev

Not comparable, like at all?

feat248a_0_wsm73sw1o4.jpg

I mean in power level. This is closer to something like Phyrexian Rager than Dark Confidant to me. You have to wait a long time to get your first card, and even getting that card is no guarantee against anything other than a control deck that doesn't have mutavaults

Top Bottom