• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Manifestation counter makes me think otherwise, but we'll see in a few short days.

I'm betting its some combination of occurring on untap and involving Manifestation counters. But I really doubt its the same "reveal from the library effect" because its not keyworded, its an ability word. If its an ability word there has to be a significant variation in effects

Graveyard based decks are easy to counter in Modern/Legacy.

Come on now. DRS is too strong for Modern though.

What they need to do is start unbanning cards in Modern to even the playing field.

I want DRS banned mostly because he never should have been printed. I like toolboxy cards, but he is he entire toolbox on one card. Mana dork, win condition, graveyard hoser, life gain against aggro, etc. The card isn't overly powerful, just too good in too many scenarios.

It also just irks me that there is a 1cc mana creature that can be cast without green mana.

An-Det

At the ct ptq right now, dci reporter crashed a while ago, losing the entire tournament so they have to completely reenter it (wizards can't do anything to help), and the TO just announced that the event will resume at 8 pm (2.5 hours from now). This is kind of disastrous.

esterk

At the ct ptq right now, dci reporter crashed a while ago, losing the entire tournament so they have to completely reenter it (wizards can't do anything to help), and the TO just announced that the event will resume at 8 pm (2.5 hours from now). This is kind of disastrous.

Lolwhut. That's the worst, sorry to hear about that. Isn't resuming at 8pm really late? How many more matches are there to go before top 16 (or whenever they cut, haven't been to a PT in a year or so)?

An-Det

Yeah, it's really late. We had only finished round 5 of 9 so far. They're offering refunds to those who can't stay in, but it just sucks.

Kacar

I'm getting tired of playing mono black devotion at every FNM so I wanna build a new deck. I checked through my cards and I have most of the pieces for a RWG control type deck and had some questions about it. I was gonna do blue RWU but with no sphinx's revs supreme verdict or cyclonic rift I figured it wasnt worth it. Heres what I have put together so far.

I have no Mizzium mortars which sucks but I dont wanna put that kinda money out.

4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Selesnya charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Advent of the Wurm
1 Elspeth
2 Ruric Thar
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Xenagos
3 Destructive Revelry
1 Sylvan Caryatid (I dont think I would need this right?)
2 Hammer of Purphoros

My main problem is mana fixings, I only have one WR temple and 2 GR temples. I have plenty of guildgates but I dont know how to properly set up mana for my cards.

Even what I have up there is only 33 cards so does anyone have any suggestions on cheaper different cards to fill out the deck and options for the sideboard?

EDIT: drfinitely nvm on the hammer. Iwas think of the Red God effect.

Yeef

I'm guessing tribute will skew toward green/red, since it works well in the G/R ramp decks. Inspiration will probably be U/R since it works well with Scry. I think we'll get a 'Nyxborn' mechanic (even if it's not named) that will lean toward black/white.

• Ephara UW
• Phenax UB
• Mogis BR
• Xenagos RG
• Karametra GW

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho5_1280.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Karametra waifu.

It's funny how these gods seem more godlike than Theros' gods, despite being supposedly lower on the tier of gods.

Kacar

Think the art on 5 is the best but I like all of them.

I opened a Theros booster box and got 0 gods. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

Karakand

Phenax husbando.

-----

Daze is a 10 dollar card on MODO, lolwut.

I play Xenagos the plainswalker. I then play Xenagos the god.

Would be a trip.

Old planeswalkers were too godly ---> defrock them and turn them into nuPlaneswalkers.

Have storyline where a nuPlaneswalker literally becomes a god.

Karakand

so that's why my mm block packs are worth so much to packtraders.

what else is worth something? brainstorm, counterspell, rishadan port?

Brainstorm is worth a lot for a common (2-6 USD).

Port is 90+, but that's not that different from the paper card value.

Counterspell is what a common should be (worthless).

Firemind

paper ports are worth a $100 too? damn, son. my inner child is crying.

is it because of lame death and taxes? don't know what other legacy deck plays ports that isn't tier 3 (goblins).

During all the fighting and shit, Xenago snuck in the Pantheon and made himself a god like the badass Satyr he is.

Xenagos be like, I cause all this chaos that distracted you asses then snuck in and became one of you yo.

alternade

Banning Goryo's Vengeance kills the entire deck. It simply won't exist anymore. That's what I'm referring to.

Decks should not be able to consistently go off on turn 2, sure. But this deck has been around for years with no ban. It has been able to do this for a very long time, just not consistently enough. The fact that it's running hot right now is not reason to ban it. You need consistent, repeated, degenerate performances in order to kill an entire deck (that is, if you actually care about the perception of your format, and the perception of Modern really hasn't improved in the past year and a half, despite all of Wizard's efforts).

Also, being a graveyard combo means that it's really easy (post sideboard anyway) to have turn one or even turn zero defense.

EDIT: Also, this is the second time this deck has gone undefeated on day one at a GP. It failed to make top 16 in that tournament.
I played against this today with UW control. It smashed it with main board surgical extraction. The deck isn't that great honestly. If they keep with the trigger happy bannings, no one will want to play modern because as soon as a deck wins 3 tourneys everyone will just assume that the pieces of it will get banned.

Kiki Pod or Melira Pod?

I want to build a pod deck but which should I focus on? Thanks.

(I'll likely get the cards for both eventually but I want to ask opinions)

Basically I told my wife today that I'd try and focus on just two Modern decks. lol
Trying to have all the decks is expensive and leaves me a bit unfocused in my purchases and trades.

I'm done with mtgo. I've never used a piece of software that was so consistently bad before. I know that's old news, but it's really fucking awful.

I've been dropped from drafts so many times now that they won't even refund my entry fee anymore. Wizards phone support hung up on me cause I told them that charging me for these events is essentially fraudulent. Really though, it's my fault for continuing to pay.

Oh well.

kirblar

Looks like the CXXX promo is part of a cycle where you scry 2 if played as a sorcery.

White one's a Critter/PW sweeper for 4WWW.

The Technomancer

I'm really going to be curious how they implement the lesser gods. Still indestructible? Still require a certain devotion to turn into a creature?

kirblar

I'm really going to be curious how they implement the lesser gods. Still indestructible? Still require a certain devotion to turn into a creature?
We're hearing Indestructible and Devotion = 7 for their two colors. What we don't know is how Hybrid interacts with that. No activated ability, though.

The Technomancer

We're hearing Indestructible and Devotion = 7 for their two colors. What we don't know is how Hybrid interacts with that. No activated ability, though.

Hm, interesting. Costing, P/T and abilities are going to be very interesting to see then, since even though these are "lesser gods" I doubt they want to make them seem straight up worse then the original 5. Maybe they're smaller and just cost lower? But the original gods are pretty cheap anyway.

Top Bottom