• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

What does a t2 living end accomplish? Kill a creature and put a 4/4 dork and maybe a 3/4 into play? That or the living end player has to have the nuts draw of land, land, cascade, ssg and one cycler, drawing multiple street wraiths in the process or more ssgs and cyclers. Truly a christmasland scenario. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Do you mean Goryo's Vengeance or Through the Breach?

I think he means the deck as a whole.

mp4Hig7bV3_EN.jpg

cool?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's been posted here. Most of us feel she sucks.

3UG
Kiora, the Crashing Wave
+2: Look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal a creature or land card there and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom in any order.
-3: Put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.
-8: All lands target player controls become Islands. Creatures that player controls can't attack unless they have flying, islandwalk, or power 6 or greater.
Loyalty 3
Hnnnnnnnng

2UG
Kiora, the Crashing Wave
+1: Each creature target opponent controls can't attack you or Kiora during his or her next turn unless he or she pays U or 2 for each of those creatures.
-2: Draw a card. You may play an additional land this turn.
-6: Search your library for up to three blue creatures without flying, put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Loyalty 3
Would've taken this.

The tension between making planeswalkers awesome because they're, well, planeswalkers, and making them overpowered is really challenging, I agree. But again - I really think they erred too far on the side of caution here. Or perhaps it was deliberate. From the first paragraph:

It's okay if a Planeswalker doesn't make a huge impact in Standard, but it should at least be cool.

From this article:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/281

OnPoint

I eagerly await the next Liliana of the Veil. Hopefully it'll be red this time, but I have a feeling it won't. :(

I was really hoping they would do it for Chandra 4.0. She was an improvement, but not Legacy-playable tier.

In terms of PW power level, I would say Jace TMS and Liliana otV are of comparable power levels, depending on deck and metagame at the time. No other color has a PW that potent. Elspeth 1.0 comes close, but she's a little too expensive to really make it in.

I would have liked Chandra to be something real specialized for mono-red decks but incredibly good for them.

Chandra of the Ember Hall RRR

+ 2: Creatures with flying cannot block creatures without flying this turn
- 1: Deal 3 damage divided as you chose, among up to three target creatures or players
- 7: Deal X damage to target creature or player, where X is the amount of Mountains on the battlefield

2 Loyalty

ultron87

That design feels more like a Koth to me. He seems like the kind of guy to slam the ground and Falter everything.

I wonder if they'd ever do a PW in a supplemental product. Otherwise they just can't make anything that would break Standard in half.

OnPoint

That design feels more like a Koth to me. He seems like the kind of guy to slam the ground and Falter everything.

I'd be fine with it, if it were Koth. I just want there to be more balls-out awesome planeswalkers, while giving Jace a rest from being good at the same time.

Firemind

I was really hoping they would do it for Chandra 4.0. She was an improvement, but not Legacy-playable tier.

In terms of PW power level, I would say Jace TMS and Liliana otV are of comparable power levels, depending on deck and metagame at the time. No other color has a PW that potent. Elspeth 1.0 comes close, but she's a little too expensive to really make it in.

I would have liked Chandra to be something real specialized for mono-red decks but incredibly good for them.

Elspeth is played in the Legacy stax deck, right?

Poor red always gets the shag. No iconic two mana creature and no op pw.

OnPoint

Elspeth is played in the Legacy stax deck, right?

Poor red always gets the shag. No iconic two mana creature and no op pw.

I can't think of the last time I saw a Legacy deck do well with white that wasn't Death&Taxes or some variant on a Stoneforge build.

y2dvd

Ouch. A friend's friend got $50k worth of cards stolen. Worst part was that he was parked at a lgs. It leads us to believe the thief knew who he was targeting. I hope the shithead gets caught.

kirblar

What does a t2 living end accomplish? Kill a creature and put a 4/4 dork and maybe a 3/4 into play? That or the living end player has to have the nuts draw of land, land, cascade, ssg and one cycler, drawing multiple street wraiths in the process or more ssgs and cyclers. Truly a christmasland scenario. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Do you mean Goryo's Vengeance or Through the Breach?
They're both played in the same deck.

It's not T2 living end. It's T2 Fulminator Mage into T3 living end.

Firemind

Bloodbraid into B/B alllmost got me to the PT. (Bloodbraid into Vengevine finally did it.)

Oh man, don't remind me. Wish I played Punishing RUG in the very last Extended PT. Instead I picked Ad Nauseum and got embarrassed by a field of Dorans.

At least I got to beat Tom Ross's arse.

kirblar

Oh man, don't remind me. Wish I played Punishing RUG in the very last Extended PT. Instead I picked Ad Nauseum and got embarrassed by a field of Dorans.

At least I got to beat Tom Ross's arse.
You were at Amsterdam too? I played Doran but...did not play well, lol.

Ad Nauseum was an awful deck, lol.

Firemind

You were at Amsterdam too? I played Doran but...did not play well, lol.

Ad Nauseum was an awful deck, lol.

yeah, it was only a half an hour drive so I thought why not.

Ad nauseum was really good in our testing but maybe I got lucky. :lol

one of my mates ran ad nauseum and got t16 iirc.

after that I vowed never to play combo in a serious tournament ever again.

kirblar

yeah, it was only a half an hour drive so I thought why not.

Ad nauseum was really good in our testing but maybe I got lucky. :lol

one of my mates ran ad nauseum and got t16 iirc.

after that I vowed never to play combo in a serious tournament ever again.
Combo is fine but it needs to be really degenerate with ways to protect itself. Aluren got me my first PTQ T8.

Firemind

My most vivid memory is when I got paired to Shuhei Nakamura to stay in contention for day two. When I got outplayed like a fool (he bounced one of my vivid lands with cryptic, which prevented me from tapping white with reflecting pool to cast angel's grace), I knew pros were on an entirely different level.

Will the Modern Event Deck have a limited print run or will it be more like the commander decks? If so, how limited will the print run be?

Mark Rosewater: It does not have a limited print run. We are willing to reprint them if there is demand.

That's good. Whatever rares are in that deck, it may be wise to sell them ASAP.

Lucario

I used to run young pyromancer in the sideboard of mono-red to side in when I saw desecration demons

Was probably terrible (I am bad at this standard format), but it was pretty damn fun.

f0rk

I went 3-1 with BR aggro at FNM. Lost to Prime Speaker Bant which is an awful matchup with main deck Centaur Healers. Felt good against another Bant list though, apparently it was Reid Dukes list.
There are so many dodgy tapped land mana bases in this format it's not hard to exploit them.

I don't think I ever wanted Tyramet though unfortunately.

Top Bottom