• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Exokell

Banned
This is one less mana, has Vigilance, produces a token while blocking AND has a bigger butt. I think this is pretty good.
vigilance is only good in limited...its one of the worst abilities in magic. bladehold is 3/4. I rather have +1/+1 when blocking because of assigning damage.

Crocodile

You guys know there are other formats besides standard right? King "Leo"nidas seems like a strong Cube card to me (it'll need some testing and theory play of course like any other card) which makes it a card I care about. Seems fine to me.

Vigilance is a good ability... one of the reasons why Batterskull sees play in Legacy. Vigilance means you can swing and then still block. Means no choosing in dire cases.

The cat guy can effectively make one token when he blocks on entering. Then make another when he attacks. He can get you tempo really quickly if not handled.

OnPoint

vigilance is only good in limited...its one of the worst abilities in magic. bladehold is 3/4. I rather have +1/+1 when blocking because of assigning damage.

Has it been so long that I forgot Bladehold wasn't a 4/3? Man.

The Vigilance here is cool because it enables you to be able to attack for a token, and block for a token. It's pretty cool.

y2dvd

Are you kidding me? This guy is really good:

i4NkDCksvL_EN.jpg

Also, I think it's hilarious that the Spiritbinder had to have an activation cost on his Inspired ability to prevent him from finding a home in Modern.

Hol-y shit. This guy is huge at 3cmc, is a great battalion enabler which is hella important with Boros Elite and Daring Skyjek in play, and isn't an enchantment creature. He's no Heros of Bladehold, but he's impressive here. I want this card most!

Crocodile

The sad thing is you can't rule it out. If it costs less than 3GGGG, i'm quitting Magic till the entire R&D department is replaced.

Red could get a landwalk one?

Is this expensive enough for you or are you still quitting Magic :p

Archetype-of-Endurance.jpg

It's eight mana instead of seven but only two green mana symbols instead of four :p

bigkrev

Hi guys, posting from my hospital bed. Jumped out a window when that card was spoiled last night.
not really, but I kinda wanted to
Fuck this game. I know that the card isn't playable outside of EDH, but it's mere existence shows that R&D has no idea how to preserve the health of a game. I'm going to start to pull my collection together and start to get some quotes on it.

Congrats WOTC, you have driven me away again! I enjoyed my ROE-THS return to the game, maybe I'll come back again when you get a fucking clue

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hi guys, posting from my hospital bed. Jumped out a window when that card was spoiled last night.
not really, but I kinda wanted to
Fuck this game. I know that the card isn't playable outside of EDH, but it's mere existence shows that R&D has no idea how to preserve the health of a game. I'm going to start to pull my collection together and start to get some quotes on it.

Congrats WOTC, you have driven me away again! I enjoyed my ROE-THS return to the game, maybe I'll come back again when you get a fucking clue

Wait. Which card?

bigkrev

Wait. Which card?
archetypeofendurance.jpg

The more I think about it, taking a break from magic for a few years might be a good thing. I barely bought into Theros, so weathering a complete Standard Rotation (Fall of 2015 or 2016) would be fine for me. Maybe Magic Online will be a usable piece of software by then as well- even if it is still V3 because the new version is so awful they just write it off as a sunk cost and move on.

I've also been fairly disenchanted by limited lately as well. INN was awesome, DKA-INN was less so, AVR was my least favorite Magic experience of all time, M13 rocked, RTR rocked, GTC sucked (though in hindsight, I kinda miss it!), DGM-GTC-RTR was a mess, I disliked M14, and never really got into THR draft. I only got to draft MM once, and it was a compromised experience due to drafting money over a good deck (because prize support was DGM packs, lol).

I'm going to sell stuff like my Jace AOTs, Sphinx's Revs, and other standard cards, but do you think I should hold onto Mutavault? I'll probably want it for Modern in a few years, but I don't know if the price will stay as high as it is now. I'm going to hold on to my Modern staples, but probably sell or donate most of my EDH and STD stuff.

OnPoint

archetypeofendurance.jpg

The more I think about it, taking a break from magic for a few years might be a good thing. I barely bought into Theros, so weathering a complete Standard Rotation (Fall of 2015 or 2016) would be fine for me. Maybe Magic Online will be a usable piece of software by then as well- even if it is still V3 because the new version is so awful they just write it off as a sunk cost and move on.

I've also been fairly disenchanted by limited lately as well. INN was awesome, DKA-INN was less so, AVR was my least favorite Magic experience of all time, M13 rocked, RTR rocked, GTC sucked (though in hindsight, I kinda miss it!), DGM-GTC-RTR was a mess, I disliked M14, and never really got into THR draft. I only got to draft MM once, and it was a compromised experience due to drafting money over a good deck (because prize support was DGM packs, lol).

I'm going to sell stuff like my Jace AOTs, Sphinx's Revs, and other standard cards, but do you think I should hold onto Mutavault? I'll probably want it for Modern in a few years, but I don't know if the price will stay as high as it is now. I'm going to hold on to my Modern staples, but probably sell or donate most of my EDH and STD stuff.

The one card I would want from you... you are thinking of holding on to haha

Mutavault will probably come down a little but I don't think it'll ever come down a lot.

y2dvd

I dont know how often Mutavault is used in modern deck, but as long as it's still in standards, those prices will hold or even increase a little.

bigkrev

do you know what Magic needs?
Writofaccountability_RR.jpg

This was a card you could play for free at the beginning of the game from your deck, and if your opponent did any bullshit, they lost the game.

Something along the lines of

Badge of not being a cunt 0
Artifact
You may play this card at the beginning of the game from your library
Sacrifice this: You gain an emblem that gives all creatures with Hexproof Shroud

bigkrev

Is that a real card from the Star Trek game? That must be the ultimate sign of "whoops, we made a really fucking broken game".

That was a real card.

Short explanation- the concept of the game was that you each played 6 planets that had missions requiring skills (Total Strength 20> and 2x Anthropology, for example), and you scored the points on the mission when you completed them, and won when you got to 100 points. After the planets were played, you would "seed" (play face down under the mission) Dilemma cards that affected your opponents crew trying to take down the mission (a computer virus requiring 3x Computer Skill to pass, a sick alien race that required all your Medical people to stay behind, ect). One Dilemma was "Q" (the character), that if you met a certain condition, you got to discard all other Dilemmas under the mission (and if you didn't meet the conditions, your opponent could rearrange the order of planets and strand you somewhere). The strategy became to Seed a "Q" under each mission you planned on doing after your opponent seeded all of their Dilemmas, and then just ignore everything your opponent did the entire game and just use Q to kill all their Dilemmas. This card basically says "If your opponent does that, they loose the game".

All the other cards mentioned were just broken things designed super early in the game before they really had play testing (game launched in 1994, and this card was printed in 2000)

kirblar

archetypeofendurance.jpg

You don't WANT this card being constructed playable. It's miserable.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
8 mana is probably fine for that card, the only problem is if people find a way to cheat it out. Is Reanimator still a thing post-Innistrad? I haven't paid attention

bigkrev

it's my favorite mythic that got pushed down to uncommon in development somehow

Its like they designed some Mythic Rares for the Commander product, decided they didn't want to make new Mythics so they took it out, and then put it in a Standard legal set at fucking Uncommon

kirblar

Its like they designed some Mythic Rares for the Commander product, decided they didn't want to make new Mythics so they took it out, and then put it in a Standard legal set at fucking Uncommon
Because they didn't want to double-up on the abilities the gods granted in Theros. And given that they were using Hexproof, they wanted to make it "not good."

The Technomancer

Because they didn't want to double-up on the abilities the gods granted in Theros. And given that they were using Hexproof, they wanted to make it "not good."

Yeah, kind of a weird design position. Although Green has a lot of abilities it doesn't have a lot of evergreen keyword abilities, and getting cards that grant trample over and over gets boring fast.

bigkrev

but you can't, it has hexproof

it's my favorite mythic that got pushed down to uncommon in development somehow

Stop trolling me. I'm actually fairly serious about taking a hiatus because of this cards existance.

Deathtouch, Regeneration, Landwalk, Shroud..

Hell, a "Double the amount of +1/+1 counters you put on your creatures, and your opponent looses all +1/+1 counters and can't add them" would be super exciting for EDH and Limited, and while it might have a constructed impact, it would probably be minor.

The Technomancer

Hmm, its a shame that green only gets Flash on specific creatures, having an Archtype that said

"Creature cards in your hand have Flash

Your opponents can't play creature spells when its not their turn"

would have been super cool

Karakand

The more I think about it, taking a break from magic for a few years might be a good thing . . . Maybe Magic Online will be a usable piece of software by then as well- even if it is still V3 because the new version is so awful they just write it off as a sunk cost and move on.

lol
Sorry.

Lucario

Stop trolling me. I'm actually fairly serious about taking a hiatus because of this cards existance.

I thought you were joking. That's not a rational reaction to more EDH jank being printed.

Also, commenting on the card's rarity isn't trolling.... The card feels mythic. It's really weird (and kind of awesome) how rarity is being re-evaluated in Born of the Gods.

Hell, a "Double the amount of +1/+1 counters you put on your creatures, and your opponent looses all +1/+1 counters and can't add them" would be super exciting for EDH and Limited, and while it might have a constructed impact, it would probably be minor.

That would manage to have a cooling effect on ever seeing a deck with heroic as it's main effect in the deck.

Social anxiety and all of my local FNMs being meta-competitive has kept me from going to a lot of them this fall and winter. I need to find a good focus for myself with this game or I will start to feel like I'm only buying cards to play with my girlfriend.

The Technomancer

Deathtouch would actually have been a really good idea. Regeneration maybe as well but that's such an incredibly narrow effect to shut down. Landwalk is just boring. Shroud is replaced by Hexproof pretty much now because lots of players thought that Shroud was Hexproof (finding out in the middle of a game that they couldn't target their creatures either)

There are but you know there is going to be that one asshole who runs one copy and cheats it in against your red deck making it impossible to kill his mana rampers.

Karakand

Shroud is replaced by Hexproof pretty much now because lots of players thought that Shroud was Hexproof (finding out in the middle of a game that they couldn't target their creatures either)

I don't think that's the only reason it's gone. (It's not "fun" when it's a symmetrical effect even though that's the only permutation of the ability that's really "fair".)

Lucario

Social anxiety and all of my local FNMs being meta-competitive has kept me from going to a lot of them this fall and winter. I need to find a good focus for myself with this game or I will start to feel like I'm only buying cards to play with my girlfriend.

This is my exact situation. FNM around here is weirdly competitive except for one or two shops that are ~45 minutes from my school.

Recently sold off a bunch of cards I bought last standard season (mostly mutavaults, lol.) I only ever got to play them with my boyfriend, and in one SCG open. FNM just isn't worth the time when nobody's there to have fun.

Top Bottom