• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

On SCG.

XaoPLUe.jpg

OnPoint

I've had some time to digest that god.

Jesus fucking christ. What a terrible card.

Are they making them bad so nobody will bother counterfeiting cards until the new stamps come out?

y2dvd

I just don't get their thoughts on mono black. Lets make a T1 deck into S-tier with even more removal spells with really no downsides.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just don't get their thoughts on mono black. Lets make a T1 deck into S-tier with even more removal spells with really no downsides.

Well interestingly enough Bile Blight isn't very good against other mono-black decks, at least if they're running the same creatures as you

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why are the uncommons magnitudes better than the mythics? Unravel and Blight are immediately standard playable. Tandris 2.0 is immediately Archangel's Light status

To all you flavor nerds: apparently before Xenagos planeswalked to Theros and invaded the pantheon, there were, in fact only 14 gods. The RG god had long since disappeared.

Which is why the RG scryland is called "Temple of Abandon."

Kinda cool.

The word "Deglamer" sounds Northern Europe-ey, which fits in with Lorwyn, right? Edit: Yeah, Glamer is archaic Scottish. It doesn't sound Mediterranean at all so maybe they just wanted a more neutral Magic-ey name they can use anywhere.

Cool! I never really put that much thought into the word until just now; kinda cool to see where it came from.

OnPoint

To all you flavor nerds: apparently before Xenagos planeswalked to Theros and invaded the pantheon, there were, in fact only 14 gods. The RG god had long since disappeared.

Kinda cool..

That's really awesome. I want to know if he's still a PW or not.

alternade

Kinda cool.

Cool! I never really put that much thought into the word until just now; kinda cool to see where it came from.

Call me crazy, but what if the reason Ajani shows up is to take down Xenagos and become the new RG god?

This set is looking like Dark Ascension all over again. Hope they spoil something worth opening soon.

I keep hearing this sentiment, but didn't DKA have Falkenrath Aristocrat, Sorin, Hellrider, and Huntmaster at mythic, plus Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, and more at rare, and some really sweet uncommons like Lingering Souls?

Why does everyone seem to hate DKA so much? I genuinely don't get it.

rCIZZLE

DKA had a lot of decent cards but they never seemed to be of high enough value at the same time to make the set worth opening. Maybe it's just that there was no card I felt happy opening and dropping in my binder unlike most other sets. DGM is a pretty horrible set but at least it had VoR to open as well as the slim chance of shocks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DKA had insane value though. I mean, the shocks in DGM were nice at launch, but unless you opened a VoR after those dropped to 3-5 bucks you were just burning money.

y2dvd

bile blight... see ya, devour flesh

Nah Devour Flesh will still see play as it can still take down whatever creature size and is one of the few answers to a Blood Baron. Bile will definitely see play though.

Why are the uncommons magnitudes better than the mythics? Unravel and Blight are immediately standard playable. Tandris 2.0 is immediately Archangel's Light status

Totally agree. I'm more excited drafting uncommons at this point lol.

f0rk

So are the 2 man instants part of the same cycle but some have double mana req? Missed opportunity to reprint counterspell

OnPoint

I can't wait to spend less than $100 to buy playsets of all the commons and uncommons I want from this set while picking off rares one by one as I decide I want them. I'm going to cancel my box preorder this weekend.

y2dvd

proxy.jpg

Lets compare this to the Morningtide Rare Grimoire Thief:

-Exiles face up instead of face down (but Thief lets you look at the face down cards) so your opponent always knows what to play around
-Has one less toughness
-Costs UU to use the last ability instead of just U
-Can only counter up to one spell instead of potentially many at once
-Heroic trigger is tougher to activate than Tap trigger

How/why did they make this card? It's strictly worse than another rare (that sees no play) in FIVE different ways. This just feels creatively bankrupt. Did the real hit the bottom of the Heroic trigger well already?

You know, this card wouldn't be so bad if it had Inspired instead. A little aggro miller made unblockable by Bident would've been decent.

Z7VZijC.jpg

Fate Unraveler 3B
Enchantment Creature - Hag (R)
Whenever an opponent draws a card, Fate Unraveler deals 1 damage to that player.
3/4

I would rather just rip draw spells off their hands with Thoughtseize/Duress/Sin Collector but it would be funny vs control if someone got the hag and Burning Earth down lol.

OnPoint

Is wizard going back to making powerful spells and shitty creatures?

I don't know, but it sure looks that way. I would just keep my eyes peeled for the next Boros Reckoner. He was an under-the-radar second set creature that didn't get a featured spoiler. When people saw him they flipped. I was really pissed I missed seeing him myself, before preorder numbers jumped his price up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh, this gives me hope that the other archetypes are actually decent.

What are the chances of seeing

1RR
Archetype of Rage
Enchantment Creature - Minotaur
Creatures you control have haste.

Creatures your opponents control blah blah blah

bigkrev

Oh, this gives me hope that the other archetypes are actually decent.

What are the chances of seeing

1RR
Archetype of Rage
Enchantment Creature - Minotaur
Creatures you control have haste.

Creatures your opponents control blah blah blah

So, Urabrask?

red13th

I thought red would be first strike and white vigilance so yeah baby Urabrask incoming probably, red doesn't have many keywords.
Looking forward to green being Archetype of Hexproof :lol
Just kidding it's going to be trample.

Top Bottom