• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nah, it's going to be reach #trollface.

Would be crazy if they give red double-strike.

bigkrev

I thought red would be first strike and white vigilance so yeah baby Urabrask incoming probably, red doesn't have many keywords.
Looking forward to green being Archetype of Hexproof :lol
Just kidding it's going to be trample.

The sad thing is you can't rule it out. If it costs less than 3GGGG, i'm quitting Magic till the entire R&D department is replaced.

Red could get a landwalk one?

ultron87

I wanna see Green turn your guys into Llanowar Elves and disable opponent creature mana abilities. But then it would cost 8 to troll everyone.

Haly

I think they're going to avoid overlap with the Theros gods (and possibly their weapons), which means the following are probably out:

Haste, Vigilance, Trample, Deathtouch, Lifelink

Which would leave:

Doublestrike (Red), Intimidate (Black, Green), Reach (Green), Regenerate (Black, Green), Hexproof (Green), Shroud (Green).

Although Ultron's mana dork idea is really neat.

bigkrev

Intimidate is also in Red, although Intimidate isn't that far off from Unblockable, which means it would need to cost 7 or more (because flying costs 6)

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I keep hearing this sentiment, but didn't DKA have Falkenrath Aristocrat, Sorin, Hellrider, and Huntmaster at mythic, plus Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, and more at rare, and some really sweet uncommons like Lingering Souls?

Why does everyone seem to hate DKA so much? I genuinely don't get it.

Most of the cards in DKA were irrelevant until the Mirrodin block cycled out. Vapor Snag and Mana Leak kinda made most of those cards unplayable lol.

OnPoint

Most of the cards in DKA were irrelevant until the Mirrodin block cycled out. Vapor Snag and Mana Leak kinda made most of those cards unplayable lol.

This is true.

I have a feeling that won't be the case with this set. These aren't bad because of the presence of a good counterspell and the best Unsummon ever printed. These are bad because they're bad.

y2dvd

archetypeofcourage.jpg

Why is it an enchantment creature? :(

The 3cmc is already competitive with Banisher Preist, Frontline Medic, Ajani, and Spear of Heliod with Fiendslayer in the sideboard already taking up slots. Maybe a sb vs other white weenies I guess? I don't see it replacing any of the aforementioned.

MjFrancis

The 3cmc is already competitive with Banisher Preist, Frontline Medic, Ajani, and Spear of Heliod with Fiendslayer in the sideboard already taking up slots. Maybe a sb vs other white weenies I guess? I don't see it replacing any of the aforementioned.

Rakdos is having a similar problem with the 4cmc slot.

What are you building that takes a set of Urborg's?

Assuming he is speaking of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth...

I saw a neat mono black Vampire deck the other day using it with Bloodghast and fetches. Basically the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth turns the fetch lands into swamps that tap for black mana, and you only use the fetch ability if you need to get Bloodghast back onto the battlefield.

rRLnDLp.jpg

Herald of Torment 1BB
Enchantment Creature — Demon
Bestow 3{B}{B}
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and has flying.
3/3

y2dvd

It's a big body in limited and hey in standards, it profitably blocks Nightveil Specter and adds two devotions. I just think this creature minus the dmg effect should've been given to G/R/ or W to combat Nightveil Specter...I hate NS!

Haly

Mono B devotion will be glad to have it once Desecration Demon and Nightveil Spectre rotates.

Right at this moment, not so much.

kirblar

So I went back to watch PT Gatecrash to remind myself about the old Standard format.

Holy crap this Standard is boring by comparison.
You know all those people who were whining about multicolor decks being bad and "too much fixing" (which was only true of one card: Farseek)? Those people were wrong.

I bet they knew Standard was going to be boring. That's why the first Pro Tour was Standard instead of Modern; that way it would be all exciting, and we wouldn't have to watch a Standard Pro Tour again until the M15 Pro Tour.

All 3 spoilers on the mothership suck, the CF one is a cool limited trick with no constructed application.

Fuck this set.

Are you kidding me? This guy is really good:

i4NkDCksvL_EN.jpg

Also, I think it's hilarious that the Spiritbinder had to have an activation cost on his Inspired ability to prevent him from finding a home in Modern.

bigkrev

Are you kidding me? This guy is really good:

i4NkDCksvL_EN.jpg

Just any deck that would want to play this (Boros? White beatdown?) already can choose from Frontline Medic (better in Boros), Boros Recokoner (higher upside) and Fiendslayer Paladin (Color Hosing and Lifegain).

This card will top 8 a SCG, people will go nuts, and Craig Wescoe himself never even plays it again 2 weeks later

Raised by Wolves 3GG
Enchantment - Aura [Uncommon]
Enchant Creature
When Raised by Wolves enters the battlefield put two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Wolf you control

bigkrev

Raised by Wolves 3GG
Enchant Creature
When Raised by Wolves enters the battlefield put two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens onto the battlefield.

That card is unplayable anywhere but limited (where I imagine it's quite good), but man, that is some good flavor!

esterk

Raised by Wolves 3GG
Enchant Creature

This card is so bad outside of limited, but I can't wait to see the art.

kirblar

I bet they knew Standard was going to be boring. That's why the first Pro Tour was Standard instead of Modern; that way it would be all exciting, and we wouldn't have to watch a Standard Pro Tour again until the M15 Pro Tour.
Unrelated. It had to do with Legacy being not-viable as the 4th PT format. Standard opening and closing the season makes sense.

Top Bottom