• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yeef

Full spoiler typically goes up on Monday before prerelease in the image gallery and late-Tuesday/early-Wednesday on gatherer.

f0rk

White weenie seems good. While I don't particularly like this standard because all the decks are pretty boring and straight forward, at least it's reasonably diverse.

y2dvd

White weenie seems good. While I don't particularly like this standard because all the decks are pretty boring and straight forward, at least it's reasonably diverse.

I don't know if you've seen results for standard ever but top 8 still usually have mono blue or mono black dominating for the longest lol. You still get another deck occasionally winning but it's not as diverse as the previous rotation quite yet. Buddy lands made for such diverse decks.

Yeah, the card isn't for WW in Standard. It's absolutely for Death-and-Taxes in Legacy, and might see some play in Modern Hatebears (although opposing card draw isn't exactly what's keeping Hatebears down in Modern).

EDIT: By the way, if any of you have been following LSV's eternal struggle to draft and win with Storm on the MTGO cube, you should absolutely watch his latest video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL04lbfeNAaS-oUW4ivfGMUgQikMEWagJ9&v=RRl1scAmOB0

Karakand

I was thinking more of Modern than Standard. MaRo is pretty explicit that they don't create cards with actually Eternal Eternal formats in mind.

Death and Taxes can fit it in, to be sure, though its soft control isn't of the same sort as the rest of the deck (mana and permanent denial) so it's kind of inefficient from a deck design sense. Something to wreck Elves, at least.

kirblar

I was thinking more of Modern than Standard. MaRo is pretty explicit that they don't create cards with actually Eternal Eternal formats in mind.

Death and Taxes can fit it in, to be sure, though its soft control isn't of the same sort as the rest of the deck (mana and permanent denial) so it's kind of inefficient from a deck design sense. Something to wreck Elves, at least.
Yeah MaRo's wrong on that one, lol. Design doesn't, but Development will definitely throw things in there. (Uncounterable cycle in RTR, for instance.)

I wouldnt even begin to know how to play this deck :(

Domain Zoo isn't really all that complicated. The hardest part from what I've seen seems to be appropriately sequencing your land drops. It also helps to draw Tribal Flames. Games where you draw Tribal Flames seem like you're cheating; games where you don't often seem like you're just not doing enough.

alternade

Domain Zoo isn't really all that complicated. The hardest part from what I've seen seems to be appropriately sequencing your land drops. It also helps to draw Tribal Flames. Games where you draw Tribal Flames seem like you're cheating; games where you don't often seem like you're just not doing enough.

Am I understanding Tribal Flames correctly? If I have a Stomping ground and a Godless Shrine, it will hit for 4?

There is some thought that the Modern Event Deck will be BW Tokens.
If it's the full deck, it looks to include some money rares like
2x Arid Mesa
4x Marsh Flats
4x Thoughtseize

So you'll get some great value for your $75

esterk

That Glimpse the Sun God...

holy-rollins.gif

y2dvd

Yeah, the card isn't for WW in Standard. It's absolutely for Death-and-Taxes in Legacy, and might see some play in Modern Hatebears (although opposing card draw isn't exactly what's keeping Hatebears down in Modern).

EDIT: By the way, if any of you have been following LSV's eternal struggle to draft and win with Storm on the MTGO cube, you should absolutely watch his latest video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL04lbfeNAaS-oUW4ivfGMUgQikMEWagJ9&v=RRl1scAmOB0

Is there a walkthrough vid on this deck? I don't follow anything past standards and wasn't sure what the hell was going on lol.

rCIZZLE

The Spirit is an interesting card but it just doesn't have that hatebear kick like a Thalia or Teeg. Ethersworn Canonist accomplishes the same thing against elves and is better against the bad matchups of D&T or Maverick.

Even if eternal isn't the prime focus due to standard and limited being much more popular, it still has to be a consideration.

OnPoint

The Spirit is an interesting card but it just doesn't have that hatebear kick like a Thalia or Teeg. Ethersworn Canonist accomplishes the same thing against elves and is better against the bad matchups of D&T or Maverick.

Maybe it's not THAT powerful, but how many decks use Brainstorm? Ponder? It has some pretty blatant applications.

kirblar

My accidental purchase of 8 of them keeps getting better and better. I can't believe how high they are now.
It's like the one big legacy land I don't have besides Trops and the other non-U duals. Bah. Well, and ONS fetches, but those we can all wait out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The article points out that Phenax affects himself too. Hmm, I wonder with some good inspiration effects if there's actually a good mill deck to be built around him

OnPoint

Could a Phenax-Fog BUG list work? Throw in a crap-ton of walls, core-set Jace, that stupid rat-lord comes to mind. Hell, Phenax+Pack Rat could probably do some real damage. Do the Pack Rat tokens count toward devotion?

Real quick shell/list

4x Phenax
4x Pack Rat
4x Mutavault
4x Nightveil Spectre
2x Underworld Connections
2x Jace Memory Adept
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Drown in Sorrow
3x That -3/-3 spell

Oh haha could work.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Could a Phenax-Fog BUG list work? Throw in a crap-ton of walls, core-set Jace, that stupid rat-lord comes to mind. Hell, Phenax+Pack Rat could probably do some real damage. Do the Pack Rat tokens count toward devotion?

Looks like it yeah
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

I honestly can't figure out why Phenax is 5CC instead of 4CC. If you're casting him a turn sooner, you're casting fewer creatures that can turn him on. And he doesn't do anything to creatures that aren't summoning sick.

Maybe I answered my own question? Maybe R&D costed him at 5CC so that deckbuilders would know where in their gameplan to play him? But then you can't cast him with any sort of protection. I dunno. Phenax doesn't seem to have the scare factor that would make you want to make him overcosted. Then again, neither did Karametra really, and they put her at 5CC as well.

EDIT: Also:

GRIM6je.jpg

EDIT2: Also, we've now seen all of the Mythics in the set. The five gods, Tribute Phoenix (barf), the reanimation general (Commander Jank), Kiora (might be decent in the right deck), WUBRG bestow, and Brimaz (the only really exciting one).

kirblar

Maybe I answered my own question? Maybe R&D costed him at 5CC so that deckbuilders would know where in their gameplan to play him? But then you can't cast him with any sort of protection. I dunno. Phenax doesn't seem to have the scare factor that would make you want to make him overcosted. Then again, neither did Karametra really, and they put her at 5CC as well.
They don't want Karametra in competitive constructed because of how much goddamn shuffling is involved.

They don't want Karametra in competitive constructed because of how much goddamn shuffling is involved.

I've heard this echoed a lot from Magic designers. I have a solution. It's time for basic land tokens. (Yes, I realize that this means that you don't actually have to run the basics in your deck to fetch them, which affects power level since you'll never draw the basic, yeah yeah - but I can't imagine that this is an impossible problem to solve.)

Kacar

Phenax will go well in my casual multiplayer mill deck. Just tap a consuming abberation for a 20+ mill. Don't think I'll use it any for standard.

Top Bottom