• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yeef

Simmer down on the Bestow hate. These are all just Limited value creatures, although it was a huge mistake to put the vanilla Bestow creatures in BotG and the keyword Bestow creatures in the previous set. You should build up, not down.
The story goes, bestow was originally only in born of the gods and not in Theros at all. The pilfered it from BNG and added it to Theros. I'm wondering if they just never bothered to update the BNG designs after seeing what Theros did with them. Even for limited, these guys are really lackluster.

The story goes, bestow was originally only in born of the gods and not in Theros at all. The pilfered it from BNG and added it to Theros. I'm wondering if they just never bothered to update the BNG designs after seeing what Theros did with them. Even for limited, these guys are really lackluster.

In MaRo's podcasts, he keeps talking about how they've started doing something called "Advanced Block Design" (I think I'm using the right term) starting in the next block, and they thought it was doing so well that they borrowed the team to help with Theros late in the process. I could be wrong, but I believe they're the ones who brought Bestow into Theros from Born of the Gods. It was definitely a late change.

It makes me wonder just how disjointed the set designs normally are within each block.

kirblar

In MaRo's podcasts, he keeps talking about how they've started doing something called "Advanced Block Design" (I think I'm using the right term) starting in the next block, and they thought it was doing so well that they borrowed the team to help with Theros late in the process. I could be wrong, but I believe they're the ones who brought Bestow into Theros from Born of the Gods. It was definitely a late change.

It makes me wonder just how disjointed the set designs normally are within each block.
Very. It's been a big problem recently. They're too autonomous.

Karakand

Simmer down on the Bestow hate. These are all just Limited value creatures, although it was a huge mistake to put the vanilla Bestow creatures in BotG and the keyword Bestow creatures in the previous set. You should build up, not down.

I need good creature enchantments, DBZ. Bad. Hopeful Eidolon might have been my favorite non-reprint, non-utility card in Theros, despite its Bestow cost.

RTR <> GTC <> DGM was terrible. Felt like three completely different sets.

I thought that RTR and GTC feeling different was totally fine. And it was what I expected. But I thought that they would have been designed with each other in mind (cards like Doorkeeper initially felt like they had been planted, for example) and that DGM was going to somehow magically tie them all together (I think we all did). Instead, DGM was just a shitty set and the full block draft format was, to be honest, godawful.

I thought that RTR and GTC feeling different was totally fine. And it was what I expected. But I thought that they would have been designed with each other in mind (cards like Doorkeeper initially felt like they had been planted, for example) and that DGM was going to somehow magically tie them all together (I think we all did). Instead, DGM was just a shitty set and the full block draft format was, to be honest, godawful.

Bingo.

Personally, RTR was the last set I had fun drafting. GTC never really did it for me deck choices seemed more limited and speed based. DGM/block draft, well lets not go there.

Theros is my favorite draft set since Rise of the Eldrazi.

The tension between Heroic and Monstrous reminds me a lot of level up vs annihilator.

I tried playing GTC/THS/THS and it was a madhouse. Boros is way too good with heroic and battalion.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98027201]Theros is my favorite draft set since Rise of the Eldrazi.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. Those are my least favourite limited sets.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
nyxbornrollicker.jpg
nyxbornshieldmate.jpg

So at least they haven't gone completely stupid with bestow.

MjFrancis

Nyxborn Shieldmate is kind of nifty. If you cast him for a Bestow cost he survives a wipe. If you have a Xathrid Necromancer in place you get a 2/2 zombie after a second wipe. He can be a persistent bastard in the right build, even though he'll probably be used as a one-drop most of the time.

If a mistcutter hydra gets returned from exile as a 0/0, can an instant like burst of strength be used to put a +1/+1 counter on it to keep it alive?

Also, my girlfriend won a draft by swan songing her own instant and flying in for two.

Lucario

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98085353]If a mistcutter hydra gets returned from exile as a 0/0, can an instant like burst of strength be used to put a +1/+1 counter on it to keep it alive?
[/QUOTE]

Nope, state-based effects will kill it first.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98085353]If a mistcutter hydra gets returned from exile as a 0/0, can an instant like burst of strength be used to put a +1/+1 counter on it to keep it alive?[/QUOTE]
No, you need some sort of effect like an Anthem or "as it comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on all X" type deal.

Hero

Completely unexciting. I can't imagine this set will sell that well.

What the hell is the money card in this? Kiora?

Lucario

my crap rare cube loves this set

Completely unexciting. I can't imagine this set will sell that well.

What the hell is the money card in this? Kiora?

Kiora isn't very good, but yeah, she's probably still going to be expensive. Casual appeal, new planeswalker, etc.
I'd guess the money is going to be split between Xenagos, Brimaz, and some of the set's better rares.

Oh, also, don't think I've seen these here:

courserofkruphix.jpg

eidolonofcountlessbattles.jpg

Both look pretty fun. Courser seems constructed playable.

Here, let me make that exciting:

Gild (W)
Instant
Exile target creature you don't control. Its controller puts X artifact tokens named Gold onto the battlefield, where X is that creature's converted mana cost. Those tokens have "Sacrifice this: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Lucario

kirblar

So, the pushed cards in this set are the removal spells?

I mean, I love me some vindicate, but come on.

Also, two straight LaPille sets getting two straight insane DnT cards is a little bit obvious.

Lucario

Holy shitfaces this has worse art than Syncopate :lol

hey man

that horse got the artist a 90/100 on his intro to 3d modeling midterm assignment

So, the pushed cards in this set are the removal spells?

I mean, I love me some vindicate, but come on.

Also, two straight LaPille sets getting two straight insane DnT cards is a little bit obvious.

???

What removal spell are you referring to?

edit:

astralcornucopia.jpg

this set is weird.

pleaforguidance.jpg

whimsofthefates.jpg

really really weird

fatedreturn.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
This is, on first glance, the most underwhelming set I've seen since rejoining during the Alara block. :(

I've never been a particularly big fan of top down driven design, though, as I'd much prefer they focus on mechanics, block design, competitiveness, and balance over clever flavorful tie ins.

Scourge of Skola Vale 2G
Creature — Hydra Rare
Trample
Scourge of Skola Vale enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
{T}, Sacrifice another creature: Put a number of +1/+1 counters on Scourge of Skola Vale equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness.
0/0

Why the f*!@# is this green?

kirblar

Bile Blight, Gild (It's good), The re-do of the bottom-naturalize. The pushed cards are mostly spot removal spells. It's really lame.

Scourge of Skola Vale 2G
Creature &#8212; Hydra Rare
Trample
{T}, Sacrifice another creature: Put a number of +1/+1 counters on Scourge of Skola Vale equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness.
0/0

It's Devour, the Jund mechanic. It's fine in Green - it's all about natural order/growth.

ultron87

Scourge of Skola Vale 2G
Creature — Hydra Rare
Trample
0/0

Devour can certainly be a Green effect.

Building a commander deck, and have a Cascade related question for you guys...

If I have an effect that lets me cast a spell for free, and the spell I cast for free has cascade, do I now cascade until I find something with a cost of less than 0, or for the card's original CMC?

Lucario

TONS of new spoilers up on mythicspoiler:

http://mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html

Gonna link the interesting stuff:

scourgeofskolavale.jpg

I need to make like ten cuts from my junk rare cube for this set. Everything's so underpowered, but so fucking fun.

I like it. I think I'm going to end up buying a couple boxes of this set early on.

Stuff like this is kind of disappointing though:

peregrination.jpg

~so close to being great~

loyalpegasus.jpg

Interesting tool for W/x aggro in limited I guess... only seems playable in white/red though. W/U tends to run fewer creatures.

graverobberspider.jpg

Giant Spider is a solid card. Giant Spider that can turn into a pumped Lhurgoyf for a turn is pretty boss.

eyegouge.jpg

alright, somebody's having way too much fun with this set.

kirblar

Jund had black in it. Sacrificing another creature to make yourself bigger always felt like something green had to have some urging from black to be willing to do.
There were mono-green cards. The big mechanical difference is that green's "nom nom" usually results in permanent growth (think Scavenging Ooze.)

kirblar

Ken Nagle's resume: Worldwake, RTR, BTG

Tom LaPille's resume: M12, DKA, BTG.

I really hope people don't blame Ken here. He's a big commander guy and its absolutely ok that hes designing cards for it. The developer sets final power level.

There were mono-green cards. The big mechanical difference is that green's "nom nom" usually results in permanent growth (think Scavenging Ooze.)

Fair enough. It just seems odd. If the goal was to represent the Hydra was "eating" another creature, and it's done in mono-green (and not within some greater mechanical/flavor context), it should represent the natural order. You should only be able to eat creatures of the same or smaller size.

Also, yes, I like this card a lot too. Really fun limited removal tool.

AjjfZA7.jpg

ultron87

Eye Gouge killing Mutavaults really pleases me. Can also hit some other relevant stuff, but Bile Blight overshadows it pretty effectively.

There could theoretically be some powerful straightfoward cards left unspoiled that don't require a FAQ entry, but that seems unlikely.

I just realized that Tribute isn't a trigger. It's an "as enters the battlefield." It means you don't have to announce it, right? Are we in line for a new tournament "gotcha?" Or are we going to get official rulings from judges that your opponent has to be explicitly told before you fire off the ETB trigger?

Eye Gouge is my new favorite card of the set.

Also, I'm so happy to see all you constructed guys throwing fits. Draft is my favorite format and this set looks like so much fun to draft with.

Top Bottom