• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The burning tree emmisaries provide the mana for this guy:

Image.ashx

Which lets you mill your opponent out while you go infinite.

Yeah, the main wincon is to mill your opponent out once you have the pieces.

In case of a Witchbane orb, infinite life and then swinging with infinite wolves seems pretty legit too. Not to mention that this is also sweeper proof (minus terminus)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yeah, the main wincon is to mill your opponent out once you have the pieces.

In case of a Witchbane orb, infinite life and then swinging with infinite wolves seems pretty legit too. Not to mention that this is also sweeper proof (minus terminus)

They also have lab maniac in the sideboard for witchbane orb, so you can just mill yourself instead.

f0rk

All the white decks either want their graveyard or they would suffer to much from playing a non creature 2 drop I think

Another 2-2 finish in a daily today, although I really like where my list is going now. I went 1-1 against UWR (what kind of UWR deck runs maindeck Blind Obedience anyway?), and 1-1 against infect (Although to be fair, I flooded like mad in the second infect match). Frustrating finishes so far, but I'm treating these first couple weekends as an investment and learning opportunity - the TP rooms on MODO don't really put up any sort of challenge.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure it's just like video games and all the cards that people use have to be dual language and have everything in french and english on the same card...

So they have rectangular prisms for transforming cards?

Lucario

I'm brewing immortal servitude aggro. This deck is hilarious.

22 2-drops.2

EDIT: I'm slaughtering people in the tournament practice room with this.... Is this a real deck?

Here's a guide, just in case:

THE 2-DROPS:

THE ONES YOU NEED TO WIN:

4 Blood Artist
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Strangleroot Geist

Lotleth troll seems pretty fucking amazing in this meta -- the regeneration stops most aggro creatures in their tracks, it survives supreme verdict, and it's a fairly efficient body. In this deck, it just gets better -- it's a 3-drop (play it with three lands out, leaving B open to regenerate), and it helps you curve out. It lets you discard excess creatures in your hand to be reanimated by immortal servitude. It acts as a blockade against aggro.... It's just a fucking fantastic card, and almost reminds me of playing with wild mongrel.

Cartel Aristocrat has already proven itself to be useful (4-of in The Aristocrats and Human Reanimator,) and although it's not the greatest card in this deck, it still has its uses -- it can get in for damage early in the game by sacrificing useless crap like Elvish Visionary, it can make strangeroot geist bigger, and, finally, it allows you to combo off with blood artist after a large Immortal Servitude.

Blood Artist makes the Aristocrats matchup fucking hilarious, I have to say. It regularly hits for 5+ a game, it's often the biggest removal target, it can lead to 20 life swings if there's two in the graveyard when you servitude, and it's.... well, it's the second best card in the deck.

Strangleroot Geist makes it so control decks don't poop all over your chest.

THE OTHER 2-DROPS:

Elvish Visionary -- I really like this card, but I'm not quite sure why. I currently run 4 maindeck -- I suppose it's a blocker that helps you dig for Servitude. Nearly useless against control, though, and makes the "your deck must be able to win without casting a servitude" plan difficult. Still, it smooths out your draws, and that's all it needs to do.

High Priest of Penance -- I run 2. Side out against control, side in the full playset against aggro. It's a babby boros reckoner.

Skirsdag High Priest - Prevents farther chest-pooping by control, and, frankly, it's an all-around good card. There's a reason The Aristocrats runs two.

DIG:

4 Mulch - Lets you lower your land count, and throws dudes in the 'yard. You can't ask for much more.

4 Grisly Salvage - Better than mulch by quite a bit. Fuck, it's downright broken in this deck -- it mills around two creatures on average, and gets your your next land in the process. I only run 21 lands, so getting to my fifth for a successful Servitude is pretty fucking crucial.

WIN:

4 Immortal Servitude - Put your creatures in the graveyard. Cast this precombat main. Swing with geists. Sacrifice your team to cartel aristocrat. Your blood artist will win the game for you on the spot. Even if this ideal play doesn't happen, the deck is surprisingly formidable without the servitude, so.... yeah.

1 Faith's Reward - Testing this. It sometimes wins me the game a turn sooner, and standard eggs is pretty fucking hilarious to me.

SIDEBOARD:

2 High Priest of Penance
4 Gravecrawler
2 Naturalize
2 Tragic Slip
3 Dreg Mangler (YES REALLY SHUT UP)
2 Ravenous Rats (SEE ABOVE)

You need to be able to beat control, and the above decklist isn't quite cut out for that. Put in big hastey things so you can stand a chance.

Tragic slip is for The Aristocrats, but.... let's be honest, that's not really a bad matchup for a deck with blood artists.

I honestly don't think it'd be able to compete at a pro tour or GP level of play, but this deck can take down an FNM no problem.

Lucario

After a couple 2-player queues, I can confirm that Faith's Reward is really good. Will stream with it later today if anyone's interested.

f0rk

I wonder what lands they'll reprint in the next set. They aren't going to improve the mana base, but will they leave it the same by reprinting the enemy M10 lands? Or just the ally ones

kirblar

I wonder what lands they'll reprint in the next set. They aren't going to improve the mana base, but will they leave it the same by reprinting the enemy M10 lands? Or just the ally ones
They're reprinting the Guildgates in place of the basic lands for the set to deal with the mana issues in limited.

Takuan

Fetches in M15 (next year's core set) is not out of the question. We're totally getting all 10 M10/INN lands in M14.

Even after what they've said about hesitating to reprint the M10 duals in M13? Would INN duals and Onslaught fetches be out of the question?

I'm brewing immortal servitude aggro. This deck is hilarious.
That looks like a very fun list, makes me regret trading away my playset of Isolated Chapels. I could've made this rather cheaply otherwise. I love Immortal Servitude.

Sinatar

Man I've done a few test matches with the naya blitz deck, it's friggen bananas.

Hitting people for 7 on turn 2 is just wrong.

EDIT: This is what the deck looks like for the curious.

pbqneuu.jpg

Wichu

Even after what they've said about hesitating to reprint the M10 duals in M13? Would INN duals and Onslaught fetches be out of the question?

I don't think they'll print fetches in the same environment as shocks - I expect they'll wait until the RTR block cycles out.

Assuming they print a cycle of duals that aren't the M10 lands or shocks, we'll have three different cycles of dual lands in standard for a few months (four if you include guildgates). Exciting times for multicolour!

kirblar

The problem is that the Innistrad duals badly, badly need a repint. Also, they play so incredibly nicely with the Shocks that it'd be a shame to lose them.

Sinatar

Current Top 4 bracket for the standard GP

FqOgMHz.jpg

Nice spread of deck types in the top 8. This standard format is shaping up to be really interesting.

Nah, they're using it all over the place. The combo on one side, the "it's a free 2/2 human" on the other side.

Eh, I guess the lower cost and 2/2 makes him more relevant. I just remember the guy from new phyrexia or whatever that gave you 3 red mana and he was literally only used for mana combos. But again, he costed more and was only a 2/1 I think?

One is the reanimator deck, so it's using for mana combo, the other is the naya blitz deck I posted above where it's used to get 7 damage in on turn 2.

I could see that, makes sense for aggro.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I love that Mayor and Boros Elite are in a top 8 deck. Both were called garbage by nearly everybody.

To be honest, I'm not sold on Frontline Medic as a maindeck card though. Silverblade fits so much better in most cases. Now, against Esper or bonfire heavy decks, sure.

I love that Mayor and Boros Elite are in a top 8 deck. Both were called garbage by nearly everybody.

To be honest, I'm not sold on Frontline Medic as a maindeck card though. Silverblade fits so much better in most cases. Now, against Esper or bonfire heavy decks, sure.

I've loved mayor almost since he's come out. I've used him so much in human decks I've made. He's obviously pretty much crap outside of that though. :p

f0rk

I think Silverblade is just win more and wouldn't really help the deck win any situations it wouldn't win anyway. The indestructible battalion trigger is much more useful against a clogged up board.

WanderingWind

I think Silverblade is just win more and wouldn't really help the deck win any situations it wouldn't win anyway. The indestructible battalion trigger is much more useful against a clogged up board.

The problem is that it's so narrow a trigger. Silverblade isn't win more, it prevents a ton of aggro responses and makes you remove him to move into most combat situations.

f0rk

The problem is that it's so narrow a trigger. Silverblade isn't win more, it prevents a ton of aggro responses and makes you remove him to move into most combat situations.

The trigger isn't hard to activate when you have 12 1 drops and it lets you attack with everything to get the last bit of damage through or without losing anyone. If they are at 20 at that point you've already lost. It's also much better against Boros Reckoner which will wreck you whether you have double strike or not.

WanderingWind

The trigger isn't hard to activate when you have 12 1 drops and it lets you attack with everything to get the last bit of damage through or without losing anyone. If they are at 20 at that point you've already lost. It's also much better against Boros Reckoner which will wreck you whether you have double strike or not.

Sure, but the use is still very narrow. You want it when you can attack with 3 or more guys without worrying about snapback, and your opponent is at little enough life that you can get through with one or two guys and you also may have to worry about your guys dying. Whereas Silverblade is good in nearly all combat situations. Reckoner I'll grant you, but that's just proof that the game is balanced and that there isn't one card that is strictly better in every situation.

f0rk

Sinatar is there a reason you have 3 Flinthoof Boar and 4 Medics? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around.

Sure, but the use is still very narrow. You want it when you can attack with 3 or more guys without worrying about snapback, and your opponent is at little enough life that you can get through with one or two guys and you also may have to worry about your guys dying. Whereas Silverblade is good in nearly all combat situations. Reckoner I'll grant you, but that's just proof that the game is balanced and that there isn't one card that is strictly better in every situation.

'without worrying about snapback' if you are worried about their attacks you are already dead with this deck. Being the fastest deck in the format also means you have to always be attacking or you've lost.
In the situations Silverblade is better on the attack I also think you've already lost, like if they are resolving bigger creatures or whatever. You are probably trading at best at that point in which case Silverblade hasn't done that much as all they want to do is stop damage. Your dudes aren't big enough to go for huge double strike hits unless you've made a big Champion of the Parish, but if you had a big Champion why not just win with him?
Also as you mentioned resolving a Bonfire or Revelation is game over so that's a pretty important ability.

Hope they print a Pyroclasm in Dragon's Maze

Hex

Banned
Looking to trade a russian Boros Reckoner to fill in some needs,
Either one Sphinx's Revelation and one Gideon from Gatecrash preferably.
One Snapcaster and one Supreme Verdict perhaps.
Let me know if interested.

When they printed Flinthoof Boar in M13, I called it "Mild Nacatl." I'm actually kinda surprised it took this long to break out; I suppose it really was just waiting for Stomping Ground to come into its own.

When they printed Flinthoof Boar in M13, I called it "Mild Nacatl." I'm actually kinda surprised it took this long to break out; I suppose it really was just waiting for Stomping Ground to come into its own.

Stomping ground does make it easier to get it going. I think it was more that red/green in general wasn't doing much also.

Well, specifically I meant that RG aggro needed Stomping Ground to compete. Plus the printing of Gruul cards in Gatecrash pushed the archetype to the point where Boar became relevant.

Definitely, that's what I meant when I said red/green wasn't doing much. I think it getting cards in gatecrash made it more viable/attractive which helped it find a home. The shock lands fixing also helps it immensely.

Top Bottom