• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

It's 3 people. Worlds format is unique is that they start with 4 then drop the worst player (who becomes a roaming Coach) for Day 2+.

Team Sealed is also the best format in the universe- the SCG NJ event is ALSO the release weekend for DMG, so it's 4xRTR, 4xGTC, 4xDGM.

It's 3 people. Worlds format is unique is that they start with 4 then drop the worst player (who becomes a roaming Coach) for Day 2+.

Team Sealed is also the best format in the universe- the SCG NJ event is ALSO the release weekend for DMG, so it's 4xRTR, 4xGTC, 4xDGM.

That actually sounds amazing.

y2dvd

The problem is that it's so narrow a trigger. Silverblade isn't win more, it prevents a ton of aggro responses and makes you remove him to move into most combat situations.

Can your Silverblade Paladin give your Knight of Infamy double-strike even if KoI has pro-white? I saw it on the SCG vs vid and wasn't sure if that's a mistake or not.

Can your Silverblade Paladin give your Knight of Infamy double-strike even if KoI has pro-white? I saw it on the SCG vs vid and wasn't sure if that's a mistake or not.

KoI has protection from white, but I don't think Soulbond is targetted. Therefore you can pair them.

rCIZZLE

Does anybody here have:

4x Chain Lightning (legends)
4x Bridge from Below

These are pretty much all I need to finish 2 legacy decks (u/r delver and dredge) but they have yet to make an appearance in a local trade binder.

Negator

So I thought I'd comment a bit about my experience yesterday.

Blind Obedience is not that good. Every time my opponent played it, it was irrelevant even with all my haste dudes. Farseek or Augur of Bolas were much scarier two drops. Either I had the Abrupt decay to render it useless, or they just died to tapped Hellrider triggers.

Abrupt Decay is shaping up to the be most important removal spell in Standard right now. With all the Boros Reckoners, Detention Spheres, Blind Obedience (lol), and TONS of 1-3 CMC creature targets right now, there are no shortage of things to kill. Even Bant Enchant hates to see it. They spectral Flight expecting to see their Geist survive only to see it getting grounded and chump blocked.

My prize packs had some nice stuff too (Domri Rade, Zegana, Gyre Sage, Blind Obedience)

OnPoint

I'm brewing immortal servitude aggro. This deck is hilarious.

22 2-drops.2

A friend and I took your idea and made a similar deck, though we took out the white for blue and put in Splinterfright. The deck is a TON of fun. Cards like Screeching Skaab, Snapcaster Mage and Thought Scour were what we put in, mostly.

We also built yours and played a ton of both online yesterday. We found that your deck was a bit more resilient when it came down to longer games. But really, consider Splinterfright -- it's a monster in this scheme.

y2dvd

From my experience this weekend, Boros Reckoner continues to live up to the hype. Dormi is a nice PW that interacts well with midrange decks. I had this unfortunate combo done to me: opponent has Boros Reckoner out. Next turn, they cast Dormi to fight one of my guys, then direct that dmg to my other creature, AND then swung in for 3 during combat phase. That was a potential 4v1 if I had 2 other creatures in play and decided to block. Later, they were able to cast Blashphemous Act and hit their Reckoner and redirect the dmg to me for 13. That was fun!

Went 3-2, both losses coming from Midrange decks.

Went to that Legacy tournament but only 6 people showed up. I guess everyone was at GP Charlotte or something.

I only lost 1 game (against JUND) so I took it down easily. They gave me double my buy in as credit. I picked up a bunch of cards for U/W miracles. I'm only missing the Energy Fields, a helm of Obedience, and 1 or 2 SB cards.

rCizzle : I have both of those (4x each)

Wichu

I came up with a weird 4-card combo to build a Commander deck around (it doesn't even win the game, it's just a really weird combo).
But now I've realised the funniest way to do the combo has the unfortunate side effect of making all lands into 0/0 creatures. I can run a few anthem effects, but that just makes it a one-sided perma-Armageddon - not exactly the funnest thing to exist :/
I guess the best option is to take the offending card out and rely on targeted versions that I don't have to hit lands with... I guess I'll put in a couple of tutors to assemble it.

Interestingly, the two cards that interact in such a degenerate way were printed in the same block. Nothing messes up a Standard game like a permageddon.

Doing some research into the combo, apparently a rules loophole made the combo infinite before Wizards spotted it and modified the comprehensive rules to fix it. Apparently nobody realised such a rule-bending combo was possible until two blocks after it became playable.

rCIZZLE

Went to that Legacy tournament but only 6 people showed up. I guess everyone was at GP Charlotte or something.

I only lost 1 game (against JUND) so I took it down easily. They gave me double my buy in as credit. I picked up a bunch of cards for U/W miracles. I'm only missing the Energy Fields, a helm of Obedience, and 1 or 2 SB cards.

rCizzle : I have both of those (4x each)

Awesome. I also need 4 Ichorids and 1 Price of Progress if you happen to have those too. My trade list right now is pretty barren (been building 1 for myself, 1 to lend out, and picking up pieces for friends) but if you'd be looking to trade them for easier tradeables or for value I'd be happy to make it work.

1x Umezawa's Jitte
1x Sword of Light and Shadow
1x Domri Rade
3x Snapcaster Mage
1x Pernicious Deed
1x Avenger of Zendikar
1x Grave Pact
Foil Pride of the Clouds
2x Sterling Grove
6x Lingering Souls
1x Imperious Perfect
1x Fauna Shaman
2x Primordial Hydra
1x Frontline Medic
4x Boros Charm
1x Blood Crypt (RTR)
2x Abrupt Decay
1x Foil Pithing Needle (RTR)
5x Invisible Stalker

Are most of the notables atm.

Wichu

1. Play a Planeswalker.
2. Turn it into an artifact with Mycosynth Lattice/Liquimetal Coating/Memnarch.
3. Turn that into a creature with Karn, Silver Golem/March of the Machines/Titania's Song.
4. Use Experiment Kraj to put a +1/+1 counter on the Planeswalker Artifact Creature.
5. Congratulations, your Experiment Kraj can now use loyalty abilities!
6. Kill your opponent by swinging with Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Suck it, Gideon.

Using Mycosynth Lattice with March of the Machines/Titania's Song results in the game lockout - Lattice turns lands into artifact lands, and March of the Machines/Titania's Song animate them into 0/0 creatures (which promptly die as a state-based action). Running anthems like Gaea's Anthem means my own lands survive, but my opponents can't play lands until they get rid of one of the combo pieces (rather difficult with no lands).

The loophole was that the 'once per turn' limit on loyalty abilities was a property of the Planeswalker card, not of the ability - an Experiment Kraj (or Quicksilver Elemental) with activated abilities could use them as much as it wanted - use the + ability to get an arbitrary number of loyalty counters, then ultimate away! As of the Zendikar rules update, that's been fixed :(

Still, matching and mixing Planeswalker abilities is fun. You can use Karn's +4 to stock up on loyalty counters quickly, then two turns later use Tamiyo's ultimate, or three turns later use Jace, the Mind Sculptor's!
Put a +1/+1 counter on Gilder Bairn and a 3-mana source like an appropriately powered-up Gyre Sage, Elvish Aberration, or even an animated Gilded Lotus for infinite loyalty counters!
And you still have the original Planeswalkers to use.
Proliferate leads to even faster clocks (as well as making your Planeswalkers bigger).
Equipping Illusionist's Bracers to a Planeswalker is another interesting thing you can do.

So much weird. And awesome.

EXPERIMENT KRAJ BEST PLANESWALKER

PsionBolt

Any chance you wanna say what the combo is?

If it's about 0/0 lands, the first thing that comes to mind is Living Plane + Night of Souls' Betrayal. That's only two cards and they're not from the same set, though, so I'm curious what Wichu meant as well.

EDIT - Ah. That is indeed super weird!

Awesome. I also need 4 Ichorids and 1 Price of Progress if you happen to have those too. My trade list right now is pretty barren (been building 1 for myself, 1 to lend out, and picking up pieces for friends) but if you'd be looking to trade them for easier tradeables or for value I'd be happy to make it work.

1x Umezawa's Jitte
3x Snapcaster Mage
1x Pernicious Deed

1x Blood Crypt (RTR)
2x Abrupt Decay

Are most of the notables atm.

Yes, I also have those.

I like these

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Back in my hometown, the local card/hobby shop had a weekly custom legacy format they called "Creature Feature" where your deck was restricted to one creature type only. How common are these, if anyone knows?

Hex

Banned
Back in my hometown, the local card/hobby shop had a weekly custom legacy format they called "Creature Feature" where your deck was restricted to one creature type only. How common are these, if anyone knows?

Not very, but Tribal Legacy is always fun.
Some have an advantage though.

bigkrev

feat236b_promo.jpg

In theory, the list of locations for WMCQ's should be up, but the search seems to be broken.

Cool promo, shame its going to be so hard to get.

y2dvd

So the past two weeks I've drafted Gatecrash, I ended up passing all of my rares, and I usually always rare draft haha. Goes to show most of Gatecrash's rares are underwhelming. Oh well, I guess at least most of my matches were close. Finally got to draft an Orvhov deck and it's a lot of fun. I didn't draw any extort cards in my last match sadly which would've bleeded him out to death.

Lucario

Cockatrice is dead

http://www.starcitygames.com/news/75_Cockatrice+Shut+Down

I'd go to MTGsalvation to get some comments, but I can probably only hear "I'm boycotting MTGO for this!" from people who don't play MTGO so many times.

Yeah, heh. No one who has used MTGO would ever continue putting up with the cockatrice community.

(it's a shame it's being shut down though -- I could've sworn Cockatrice didn't distribute any Magic related art or material)

kirblar

Cockatrice is dead

http://www.starcitygames.com/news/75_Cockatrice+Shut+Down

I'd go to MTGsalvation to get some comments, but I can probably only hear "I'm boycotting MTGO for this!" from people who don't play MTGO so many times.
It's not dead- it'll just be hosted on other servers.

(it's a shame it's being shut down though -- I could've sworn Cockatrice didn't distribute any Magic related art or material)
They made the mistake of hosting the card sets/images themselves- MWS does not and thus avoided issue.

Lucario

It's really funny reading "WHICH CARD WOULD YOU FIRST PICK" threads on reddit.

Throw boros charm in any pack, and you'll have dozens of people insisting it's the only proper choice.

kirblar

It's a great card, but... no, they're not. Boros decks want solid creatures before they want combat tricks and burn.
I had a deck with Assemble the Legion at the pre-release and Boros Charm was still the best card in the deck by a mile. It's that good.

Normally, yes, you want critters first. But Boros Charm is high-impact enough that you just snap take it.

Did you guys see the snow mana stuff that was on gatherer yesterday? Then taken down?

Then they tweeted this.

@wizards_magic: (Jon) Winter is not coming. The snow mana symbol that is currently on Gatherer is a mistake. Fix coming soon.

Lol

Lucario

I had a deck with Assemble the Legion at the pre-release and Boros Charm was still the best card in the deck by a mile. It's that good.

Normally, yes, you want critters first. But Boros Charm is high-impact enough that you just snap take it.

Interesting. I haven't had that experience, but maybe I just haven't played with it enough -- only twice, as I usually stay away from Boros in the 8-4 queues.

How many drafts into the format are you? Do you often draft boros? From my experience, no mode is good enough to justify taking it over a solid creature like Skyknight.

kirblar

Did you guys see the snow mana stuff that was on gatherer yesterday? Then taken down?

Then they tweeted this.

@wizards_magic: (Jon) Winter is not coming. The snow mana symbol that is currently on Gatherer is a mistake. Fix coming soon.

Lol
Given that Modern Masters releases in January, it's likely related to that and the Commander decks later this year.

Top Bottom