• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

fork said:
gnsBa2e.jpg

..... Yeah, I'm speechless. That pack has a metric fuckton of solid cards, and I'd say there's at least four "correct" choices there.

Ghor-Clan, Guardian of the Gateless, and Ogre Slumlord are all bomb-y creatures, although I have to give a hesitant nod to Rampager and Guardian for having evasion.

Grisly Spectacle is a nice removal spell, but locks you into black as one of your main colors. I would not take it here.

A lot of people would avoid black and white entirely in this pack, as there's so many solid pickables -- these people are correct to be thinking about signals, but overreacting. It's better for you to take the more powerful cards pack 1, especially in a multicolored format. Remember, you are only being passed to by this person in one pack -- it's not the end of the world if they share a color with you.

One Thousand Lashes is fucking insane in this format, and I'm extremely tempted to take it, but.... I'm inclined to take the bomb-y creatures over the removal, and, as such, I'd take the ghor-clan. Leave the rest of the table to fight over orzhov, and take pit fight or zhur-taa swine when the pack comes back to you.

Do not underestimate Guardian of the Gateless, however -- I've had that card hold down an opponent's entire field more than once.

If I'm forcing Boros, I'm slamming Syndic of Tithes. It's significantly better than Wojek from my experience.

ultron87

I guess the problem with Spectacle is you're still passing a ton of good BW cards so you'd be likely to put someone else in that color. I'm not good enough at drafting to know how much to weigh that concern over just taking a good card.

I guess you'd maybe want to take one of the other good cards like Rampager that has a color that isn't as well represented in the pack? Signals. How do they work.

Lucario

I guess the problem with Spectacle is you're still passing a ton of good BW cards so you'd be likely to put someone else in that color. I'm not good enough at drafting to know how much to weigh that concern over just taking a good card.

I guess you'd maybe want to take one of the other good cards like Rampager that has a color that isn't as well represented in the pack? Signals. How do they work.

If the card is significantly more powerful than the rest of the pack, you take it regardless of what else is in there.

If everything is of fairly equal power level, take what you think you will get more of, even if it seems a tiny bit weaker than the rest of the cards. I think Ghor-Clan is just a bit worse than 1000 lashes, but Ogre Slumlord, Guardian, 1k lashes, Syndic, Screecher, and Grisly are all insanely powerful cards in Orzhov.

..... Yeah, I'm speechless. That pack has a metric fuckton of solid cards, and I'd say there's at least four "correct" choices there.

Ghor-Clan, Guardian of the Gateless, and Ogre Slumlord are all bomb-y creatures, although I have to give a hesitant nod to Rampager and Guardian for having evasion.

Grisly Spectacle is a nice removal spell, but locks you into black as one of your main colors. I would not take it here.

A lot of people would avoid black and white entirely in this pack, as there's so many solid pickables -- these people are correct to be thinking about signals, but overreacting. It's better for you to take the more powerful cards pack 1, especially in a multicolored format. Remember, you are only being passed to by this person in one pack -- it's not the end of the world if they share a color with you.

One Thousand Lashes is fucking insane in this format, and I'm extremely tempted to take it, but.... I'm inclined to take the bomb-y creatures over the removal, and, as such, I'd take the ghor-clan. Leave the rest of the table to fight over orzhov, and take pit fight or zhur-taa swine when the pack comes back to you.

Do not underestimate Guardian of the Gateless, however -- I've had that card hold down an opponent's entire field more than once.

If I'm forcing Boros, I'm slamming Syndic of Tithes. It's significantly better than Wojek from my experience.
Meh... It's a decent pack at best... I've seen better.

I know how you crave my attention. Many do. Consider yourself worthy that I bestow upon you what I do.

But back to Magic. One thing that pack doesn't have? A trap for a money drafter like myself.

I've actually "money-drafted" a Ghor-clan simply because of how difficult they've been to trade for, and my LGS can never keep them in stock.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
#Gatecrash

hahahaha nice.

I've actually "money-drafted" a Ghor-clan simply because of how difficult they've been to trade for, and my LGS can never keep them in stock.

Yeah, I can't help it. I like to win, but I always think "man, I can totally win too, but this PW in colors I'm not even close to running is like, 30 bucks right now"

HOW DO YOU GIVE UP FREE MONEY

hahahaha nice.

Yeah, I can't help it. I like to win, but I always think "man, I can totally win too, but this PW in colors I'm not even close to running is like, 30 bucks right now"

HOW DO YOU GIVE UP FREE MONEY

I wouldn't but I also have the amazing luck of opening absolute shit for my rares in drafting.

WanderingWind

I wouldn't but I also have the amazing luck of opening absolute shit for my rares in drafting.

hahahaha. Yeah, I have GREAT luck opening stuff, but totally suck at pulling the right cards during draft. Like, the worst. Which is probably tied back to me taking the most expensive shit and not the best for building a deck. I'm pretty boss at standard tho

hahahaha. Yeah, I have GREAT luck opening stuff, but totally suck at pulling the right cards during draft. Like, the worst. Which is probably tied back to me taking the most expensive shit and not the best for building a deck. I'm pretty boss at standard tho

Haha, I used to have that problem and it sucked because I knew I would usually do worse because I wasn't picking the best card for me in the pack. When I did get good stuff it would always be pack three and always in a color I wasn't playing.

y2dvd

This pack is crazy deep

Wow that would be one tough pack to pick out. Without knowing what everyone is looking to make, I think Guardian of the Gateless is the safest and most flexible pick. It's only 1 white while the others forces you to go double color.

2nd pick would be Ghor-Clan but again I would feel force to stick with G/R.

Hex

Banned
Lame move by WOTC/hasbro. Relatively few people even used that service and, from what I've seen, most use it to proxy a deck they own or plan on owning.

They have been on a warpath lately.
Sucks considering that they really are pretty blah with DotP and their Android App was sent to die.

Edit: (I dropped my shock land lot to $160 if anyone is needing to pick some up)

Primal Visitation is such a fucking terrible card. Everytime I see it in a draft, I get angry. When I get passed two cards, I'd say there's an 80% chance it's Primal Visitation and a land. I'll take the land most of the time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Primal Visitation is such a fucking terrible card. Everytime I see it in a draft, I get angry. When I get passed two cards, I'd say there's an 80% chance it's Primal Visitation and a land. I'll take the land most of the time.

MaRo sez: Some cards need to be bad so that players can learn what makes a card good.

Hex

Banned
God damn it, buyer backed out (no, I am sorry your mom will not let you use her paypal no I will not take a check I do not know why I deal on Salvation anymore for anything but buying)
So if anyone is interested in shock land lot here it is now a firesale of $150

x 4 Temple garden
x 3 Hallowed fountain
x 1 Stomping ground
x 1 Sacred foundry russian
x1 Godless shrine russian
x 4 Overgrown tomb x4
x2 Breeding pool x2 (one russian)

WanderingWind

God damn it, buyer backed out (no, I am sorry your mom will not let you use her paypal no I will not take a check I do not know why I deal on Salvation anymore for anything but buying)

x 4 Temple garden
x 3 Hallowed fountain
x 1 Stomping ground
x 4 Overgrown tomb x4

...still want those Cliques?

An-Det

x 4 Temple garden
x 3 Hallowed fountain
x 1 Stomping ground
x 4 Overgrown tomb x4

I'd do that. If the condition's good I'll definitely buy.

OnPoint

I just bought all the cards I didn't already have for Carrie On's Amulet of Vigor deck today. This deck just looks too fun to not play. Hopefully I can find a way to put my own twist on it, but the skeleton is already pretty darn solid.

I think it's a good idea not to put a twist on a deck until you've played enough games with the deck to know how to sideboard and how your matchups go. I think a lot of players make that mistake.

I think they when you change something you'll know what to take out, what matcups it's good for, and why it might be a better fit.

side note :

Does anyone have Energy Field or Helm of Obedience?

Top Bottom