• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I thought this was an interesting read:

Baits, Switches, & Post-Board Strategies

Two weekends ago I drove up north to a PTQ in Indianapolis to take my final shot at pre-Born of the Gods Standard. I was sick of G/W Aggro's shaky mana base and after a string of mediocre finishes decided to put it on the backburner. This left me in the oh-so-familiar position of flailing about looking for a clue as to what I should play, and among those I turned to for advice was my teammate Harry Corvese. On his recommendation, I sleeved up his take on the U/W Control deck recently popularized on Twitter by Tomoharu Saito

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27860_Baits-Switches-Post-Board-Strategies.html

I'm second guessing buying play sets of shock lands right now considering that Modern usually just uses two at the most and typically just a single.

I just don't see myself needing a play set of them.

What do you think?

kirblar

I'm second guessing buying play sets of shock lands right now considering that Modern usually just uses two at the most and typically just a single.

What do you think?
You want the playset. There are decks (U/W control comes to mind immediately) that explicitly don't play fetches.

What do you think?

You want a playset of all of them. They're just going to go up in price.

EDIT: If you're on MTGO, you could theoretically look to grab them right after rotation.

Thanks for the suggestions on the shock lands.

In paper, I only lack Hallowed Fountain and Steam Vents.

In MTGO I still need most of them.

I actually have a foil play set of Copperline Gorge that I'd trade for either a set of HF or SV if anyone is interested.

Playing single matches on MODO is funny. There is a lot of budget decks that are fun to watch.

Liliana's Caress + Burning Inquiry is a neat little combo

And I also faced a Boros Soul Sisters deck that utilized Genesis Chamber and Norin the Wary. It was pretty cool.

kirblar

Real in the sense that it's not some random brew I suppose. But not "real" in the sense that I wouldn't run it in any serious event.
It can 4-0 dailies, lol, which makes it "real" enough. But yeah, MTGO meta and IRL meta aren't the same- the lack of multiple long tournaments to judge the format on hurts.

It can 4-0 dailies, lol, which makes it "real" enough. But yeah, MTGO meta and IRL meta aren't the same- the lack of multiple long tournaments to judge the format on hurts.

Fair enough. I suppose I'm being too harsh considering that Modern might as well be a MODO-only format. There are lots of decks that aren't very good/consistent that get lots of play anyway because they only have to play four-round tournaments.

y2dvd

I thought this was an interesting read:

Baits, Switches, & Post-Board Strategies

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27860_Baits-Switches-Post-Board-Strategies.html

Yeah I 4-0 my FNM pretty easily with U/W control. It's the only deck that apparently goes 50/50 with mono black, though I think mono black disgustingly rips my hand apart in the sb match. The funniest thing was a Maze's End deck was the only deck to take one game from me. The nature of my deck allowed him to build his guild gates lol.

Gotta get enough BNG cards and switch up my deck for next week as U/W seems too dominant at my lgs. I will build around Herald of Torment!

OnPoint

Just got a great deal from my best friend on two Wastelands. $50 for two (though one is in pretty bad shape), and future considerations. I gotta hook him up good on that future pick... he definitely did me a solid.

Tarmogoyf seems to be on it's way up again. Already moved about 7 dollars on tcgplayer since yesterday.

That stinks. I was hoping that with Jund getting neutered he would start to drop. :\
I guess everyone wants him for Zoo now.

I guess I will just wait for Modern Masters 2 before I buy in on Goyf.

kirblar

I bet Port hits $150 SCG NM by the end of the year. (If not in the next few months.) There are just near-zero copies available anywhere for a card you need a 4x playset of to run entire Vial archetypes in Legacy.

Onemic

After I get accustomed to Magic through Planeswalkers 2014(playing it on my tablet atm), what would be the next best course of action? Im thinking of doing online probably since I dont know anyone who plays, but I hear there are two ways to play Magic online(through MGO, which has two version I believe, v3 and v4, and another client that's free which I cant remember the name of)

y2dvd

After I get accustomed to Magic through Planeswalkers 2014(playing it on my tablet atm), what would be the next best course of action? Im thinking of doing online probably since I dont know anyone who plays, but I hear there are two ways to play Magic online(through MGO, which has two version I believe, v3 and v4, and another client that's free which I cant remember the name of)

Are you completely new? If so, I suggest looking for a local game store (lgs) and checking it out.
http://locator.wizards.com/

I see new players all the time at my lgs and we usually don't mind helping them out. I don't really play online since I hate the client so not much advice I can give there.

kirblar

Cockatrice is the free one, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a pretty decent chunk of paper experience. (Or MTGO for that matter.) IRL definitely the best way to go to start out.

Onemic

Cockatrice is the free one, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a pretty decent chunk of paper experience. (Or MTGO for that matter.) IRL definitely the best way to go to start out.

How good is MTGO? Theres a local place pretty close to me, but I dont really have the time to go out and something like this in spare time. That's why I was thinking online would be the best way for me to keep up.

kirblar

How good is MTGO? Theres a local place pretty close to me, but I dont really have the time to go out and something like this in spare time. That's why I was thinking online would be the best way for me to keep up.
V4 is better for newer players, but it still is a pretty intimidating interface if you're not already familiar with the game's systems.

Firemind

I bet Port hits $150 SCG NM by the end of the year. (If not in the next few months.) There are just near-zero copies available anywhere for a card you need a 4x playset of to run entire Vial archetypes in Legacy.

:lol who keeps hoarding legacy staples?

let me say on behalf of the legacy community

fuck you

I really like MTGO but I got into it with the newer beta client. There are still some quirks with it but overall it works okay.

If you start off with pauper and/or Just For Fun rooms in MTGO you will probably be able to ease into it.

Pauper is actually pretty competitive but I suggest it because it has a low cost to invest.

Regardless of format, Pauper/Standard/Modern you should probably stick to the Just Starting Out or Just For Fun rooms to pick up games to play.

If you want to draft there are Phantom drafts you can do to learn how. I still have not done this myself but I want to learn how.

Firemind

It's hard to believe a format as diverse as Legacy matches the Standard metagame of 2001 where everyone and their mother played Fires, not counting other decks that also used Ports. I believe I bought Ports for $15, maybe $20, a piece back in the day?

kirblar

It's hard to believe a format as diverse as Legacy matches the Standard metagame of 2001 where everyone and their mother played Fires, not counting other decks that also used Ports. I believe I bought Ports for $15, maybe $20, a piece back in the day?
Starting with M10/Zendikar, they've had 30% player base increases every year. That puts us at a player base that's quadrupled in size with static supply on older cards. Hence, massive gains in value.

Next supplemental product is a multiplayer cube.

Which is pretty awesome, even if it is all new cards.

How many cards should we expect? A quick google search says eight man support needs 360 cards. I don't know if this supplemental cube will support that many players or not. Off the top of my head I don't remember the number that was on the spoiled card.

Are we expecting some powerful reprints? Like Griselbrand, Emrakul, Jace, Liliana, etc?

That would be pretty amazing. We know from the spoiler that it will have new cards that involve politics.

And I wonder about pricing.

Either way it's pretty exciting.

Outside of a Judge Foil it's really difficult.

Why is that? I thought Masques was the first set where they stopped putting things on the reserved list.

Then again, I guess Wizards isn't too invested in Legacy as a format. I wonder if Port is printable for Standard.

kirblar

Why is that? I thought Masques was the first set where they stopped putting things on the reserved list.

Then again, I guess Wizards isn't too invested in Legacy as a format. I wonder if Port is printable for Standard.
Can't be printed in Standard. Legacy Masters is not a thing.

Next supplemental product is a multiplayer cube.

I keep hearing that, and it concerns me. If they put cards in it that are actually worth money, it would be the first supplemental product that would theoretically be targeted at the entire audience. Supply issues could be insane.

Keeping the power level of Standard low keeps a lot of cards from being reprinted.

From what I understand, "newer" cards like Path to Exile, Mana Leak, the equipment Swords, even Snapcaster, are too strong for their current standard philosophy.

Path is probably too strong (see Dispatch and Chained to the Rocks as recent attempts at that sort of removal). Mana Leak is fine in the right environment (it was not fine as a follow-up to a Delver with Snapcaster in the same environment). The Swords are incredibly strong, and not something they want to do a lot of (mostly because of how they naturally hate on certain deck choices), but they're not "too strong." And Snapcaster; well, that card was just a developmental mistake (but an awesome one!!).

kirblar

Path is probably too strong (see Dispatch and Chained to the Rocks as recent attempts at that sort of removal). Mana Leak is fine in the right environment (it was not fine as a follow-up to a Delver with Snapcaster in the same environment). The Swords are incredibly strong, and not something they want to do a lot of (mostly because of how they naturally hate on certain deck choices), but they're not "too strong." And Snapcaster; well, that card was just a developmental mistake (but an awesome one!!).
Mana Leak's not fine, unfortunately. It's literally counterspell on turns 2-4 and the "drawback" really isn't one if you don't intend to ever get to the late game.

Gannd

Banned
Time for Magic to go the Living Card Game route.

And give up all the revenue? They don't need the LG because they have a big player base.

I played in two sealed events this weekend. I went 1-3 on Saturday and my win was due to a bye. Today I went 3-1 and got second place and six boosters. Not a bad time at all.

And give up all the revenue? They don't need the LG because they have a big player base.

I was joking... but...

If people play draft/limited for the fun of it, then perhaps they could release a booster pack product as well.

I personally don't draft and other than supplemental product, I buy all of my cards as singles. So even though I spend a lot of money on Magic, Wizards doesn't get much.

I suppose it's like the used game market or something.

I bought myself some blinged out foil Batterskulls.

$_57.JPG

Karakand

Outside of a Judge Foil it's really difficult.

Definitely.

1. Destroying existing card value.
2. Keeping unfun cards out of mass circulation.
3. Printing lands that pretty much any low power level deck can use.

(Probably missing some other issues, too.)

Moral of the story, buy good cards now instead of later, their print runs will always be outgrown.

Top Bottom