• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

Mythic Bant was hilariously easy to beat. It was only a problem because it played most of the best cards at the time and people didn't play enough bolts, terminates and blightnings md. After sbing it becomes even more lolworthy with duress and deathmark.
The deck went from "One of many" to "The Best in Town" when Mana Leak got printed. (I Q'd in that season with Naya.)

Firemind

The deck went from "One of many" to "The Best in Town" when Mana Leak got printed. (I Q'd in that season with Naya.)

I qualified with Grixis.

Jace was pretty dope, but Mana Leak singlehandedly made the Jund matchup from nearly unwinnable to bring it motherfucker. So you may have a point on Mana Leak's power level. :p

Karakand

I thought Machine Head won that year. I remember because it was a totally awesome anti-metagame deck.

It did and it was. Discard, mana acceleration, removal out the wazoo, suicide black / impermanent red situational cards... that's what a black / red deck should be.

The decklist G.ZZZ posted was runner up that Worlds, IIRC.

Lucario

somehow I managed to win three cube drafts in the last couple days, all with the same deck.

now I'm 2-0 in a fourth cube draft, and this list is comparatively shit.

I feel like green (i've been almost mono green all 4 times) is very underdrafted. If you want to rack up some cube points/invasion block packs, you might want to give it a try.

somehow I managed to win three cube drafts in the last couple days, all with the same deck.

now I'm 2-0 in a fourth cube draft, and this list is comparatively shit.

I feel like green (i've been almost mono green all 4 times) is very underdrafted. If you want to rack up some cube points/invasion block packs, you might want to give it a try.

Every time I've drafted cube on MTGO, the "fair" green deck has always been open. I've never drafted it, and when my draft is done, I think "man, I'm really soft to that fair green deck." I've said it before, but I have a really hard time drafting cube with a competitive mindset - hence why I only draft Swiss cube. :)

Firemind

I only draft the "fair" green deck if I happen to pick up the "unfair" Upheaval in the first pack. Otherwise what's the point? You scoop against mass removal, blue/x with shackles, mono red without a combination of kitchen finks/primal command/obstinate baloth, so basically every colour except the mirror.

Lucario

I only draft the "fair" green deck if I happen to pick up the "unfair" Upheaval in the first pack. Otherwise what's the point? You scoop against mass removal, blue/x with shackles, mono red without a combination of kitchen finks/primal command/obstinate baloth, so basically every colour except the mirror.

In theory, yeah. I thought so too before I tried it more.

...But I haven't really had any trouble with any of those archetypes. 12-0, won all four drafts. Depending on your list, you can beat mono red handily with stuff like Polukranos and random fatties, ignore wraths if you pick up the correct fat, out-advantage control if you pick up any planeswalkers (or just ramp too fast for them if you're a spell version of the deck), etc.

The midrangier pieces of the deck have been wheeling like crazy. I have yet to have any trouble grabbing all the pieces I need. Like, seriously -- Polukranos, Master of Wild Hunt, even Thragtusk. Nobody takes them for some screwed up reason, and they stall out aggro like crazy. Mana dorks have been lingering until the last couple cards of a pack.

This means it's been fine for me to take 'unfair' cards to build around early. Emrakul, Thran Dynamo, Channel, Survival of the Fittest, Kozilek, Ulamog, etc. They all fit insanely well in the 'fair' mono green list, and I'll usually end up with one or two of them.

Let's say you grab one of two of these bonkers cards. Now you can pick up the other G/x ramp insanity that's been going late -- Iona has been wheeling for me, as have Terastodon and Eureka(!). Same with the other mono-G staples, like Rofellos and Sylvan Library. Maybe it's just today and yesterday, but MTGO cubers seriously hate green for some screwed up reason.

But yeah.. mono-G can get very christmaslandy. I like it because it fits in so well with the scarier build-around-me cards, and it always seems to be open.

Consistency. You only scoop against decks doing broken things if they get their broken draws or if they've drafted the nuts deck with a critical mass of broken things. Whereas you're curving out, playing equipment, and presenting threat after threat after threat.

It's also a metagame thing. Blue gets overdrafted on MTGO - seriously overdrafted. So you let the blue decks fight, and you get the pick of the litter in green.

Firemind

Eureka is very clunky, as is Channel and Tooth and Nail, but Natural Order into Progenitus is pretty nutsy. Green Sun Zenith is also really sweet to have, as is Survival of the Fittest but that goes without saying.

Lucario

Eureka is very clunky, as is Channel and Tooth and Nail, but Natural Order into Progenitus is pretty nutsy. Green Sun Zenith is also really sweet to have, as is Survival of the Fittest but that goes without saying.

Yeah, my first list went with the N.O->Progenitus route. Was a lot of fun, but never saw another proggy :(

It's just another broken thing that an underdrafted color can do :p

Hero

What non-land card has won the most Pro Tours? Counterspell.

Also, Gush and Opposition are both completely busted, lol.

Yes, you can balance bullshit with bullshit. But it will drive away players at lower levels who find it completely unfun.

I cannot believe it is the year 2014 and people are arguing that cards like Gush and Mana Leak are anything less than broken.

Karakand

Some of us actually played against broken cards instead of ones that merely rain on the parades of bullshit Timmy decks.

e: Just to be clear I think Gush is a broken card.

Just play Vintage. :p

It's not on MTGO. Although that is about to change.

There's a part of me that seriously wants to sell all my Modern stuff and just start buying into a Vintage deck for when it does hit MTGO. After all, broken combo is what I have the most fun playing, and that's kinda the home of broken combo. That Burning Tendrils/Oathelbrand deck that Menendian is always talking about sounds like a blast. I mean, why wouldn't you play the deck that plays all of the broken restricted cards? :p

Lucario

It's not on MTGO. Although that is about to change.

There's a part of me that seriously wants to sell all my Modern stuff and just start buying into a Vintage deck for when it does hit MTGO. After all, broken combo is what I have the most fun playing, and that's kinda the home of broken combo. That Burning Tendrils/Oathelbrand deck that Menendian is always talking about sounds like a blast. I mean, why wouldn't you play the deck that plays all of the broken restricted cards? :p

i'm really tempted to do this too... Do you think now is a good time to buy into eternal formats on MTGO?

i'm really tempted to do this too... Do you think now is a good time to buy into eternal formats on MTGO?

The problem is that we don't know what Vintage Masters is going to do. I wouldn't buy anything like Force of Will, but it's possible that buying the dual lands now is the right thing to do. I'm not sure though. It's probably a crapshoot either way.

I just bought into Modern on MTGO and spent a ton of money.
As much as it would hurt, I think that value may drop once Vintage Masters gets going since people may rather play that format over Modern.
I don't know for sure though.

I'm about done building the same deck in paper Magic as well.

Hero

Some of us actually played against broken cards instead of ones that merely rain on the parades of bullshit Timmy decks.

e: Just to be clear I think Gush is a broken card.

If you can see that Gush is a broken card it doesn't require much more analytical thinking to realize that Mana Leak is also a broken card.

Gush and Mana Leak aren't even comparable to each other in function. And I agree with whoever earlier said that Mana Leak is only broken when there are good blue tempo cards to help it along.

Mana Leak wasn't a problem when blue permanents sucked. Now that they're good (creatures, planeswalkers, and now even enchantments), and more importantly, tempo-oriented, yeah Mana Leak is probably too good.

I dislike the new design philosophy where everything always has to come down to creature battles, and the implicit idea that ridiculous creature power creep is a good thing. I understand that it's a bigger draw for new players and is responsible for all this insane growth the game's been experiencing, but I still personally don't like it.

Sphinx's Rev is played in Modern, but I think it will still drop in price past rotation.
What do you guys think? Good enough of a savings to wait? (paper magic)

Here is my UWR list I have built in MODO right now. My sideboard is kind of messy.

1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Hallowed Fountain
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Arid Mesa
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Seachrome Coast
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Tectonic Edge
1 Island
1 Plains

3 Vendilion Clique
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Restoration Angel

4 Lightning Helix
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Cryptic Command
2 Remand
2 Mana Leak
3 Electrolyze
4 Path to Exile

Sideboard

2 Wear // Tear
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Stony Silence
2 Think Twice
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Batterskull
1 Thundermaw Hellkite

Sphinx's Rev is played in Modern, but I think it will still drop in price past rotation.
What do you guys think? Good enough of a savings to wait?

Expect to see a giant fall-off with M15. But don't get greedy; pick it up when the Standard grinders are dumping it. See Geist of St Traft as an example:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Innistrad/Geist+of+Saint+Traft

It should tank pretty hard. It's only played in one Modern deck, and that deck is not very well-positioned.

Guys, I want to say that a Wu deck with Ephara, Brimaz, Vanguard of Brimaz, and Precinct Captain is a fun and wonderful thing. Toss in Ephara's Enlightenment and you get to toss around +1/+1 tokens and flying. Toss in a Deputy of Acquittals to be able to get it back into your hand at any time for two and this is a good core to a thrumming deck.

I'm trying to build around these cards and I'm thinking of dropping in a Heliod, a few Spears, D.Spheres, Soldier of the Pantheons, and one of the counterspells. Any thoughts on what I can prop this core up with? I was thinking some good heroic triggers for the bouncing enchantment.

Guys, I want to say that a Wu deck with Ephara, Brimaz, Vanguard of Brimaz, and Precinct Captain is a fun and wonderful thing. Toss in Ephara's Enlightenment and you get to toss around +1/+1 tokens and flying. Toss in a Deputy of Acquittals to be able to get it back into your hand at any time for two and this is a good core to a thrumming deck.

I'm trying to build around these cards and I'm thinking of dropping in a Heliod, a few Spears, D.Spheres, Soldier of the Pantheons, and one of the counterspells. Any thoughts on what I can prop this core up with? I was thinking some good heroic triggers for the bouncing enchantment.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/owens-a-win-brewing-with-ephara/

Also, I have a feeling that Lavinia of the Tenth might actually be playable in a deck like that.

kirblar

I really want to proxy that deck up and throw it at a gauntlet. Looks stupid fun.
Mihara ran an Esper version this weekend. The shell is very good.

Also, the Living End vs Mono-Black Devotion matchup in Modern is actually really weird. Obliterator just trumps them on the board, making it incredibly difficult for them to Living End you early.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can straight up buy any deck you want from bots. It takes a bit getting used to but once you do, trading and bartering in person will seem like some sort of primitive ritual.

Firemind

So I've been thinking, with the exit of DRS, Pyromancer Ascension is playable again. Wow. Had a lot of success with it in both standard and extended. No Ponder and Preordain anymore which sucks. Those cards made the deck into a vicious draw engine. We'll see if it can compete. Maybe I'll buy the deck on MTGO. Have a few leftover ascensions since nobody drafted them in zzw drafts lol.

So I've been thinking, with the exit of DRS, Pyromancer Ascension is playable again. Wow. Had a lot of success with it in both standard and extended. No Ponder and Preordain anymore which sucks. Those cards made the deck into a vicious draw engine. We'll see if it can compete. Maybe I'll buy the deck on MTGO. Have a few leftover ascensions since nobody drafted them in zzw drafts lol.

Are you talking about Ascension counter-burn? I suppose it's playable, but it never was all that good even prior to Deathrite Shaman. If you're talking about Storm, it's not very good without Seething Song.

Firemind

Well, Jund is probably going to see a decline (together with Abrupt Decay), with Zoo and Bitterblossom decks on the rise, so Pyromancer Ascension (the control version) may be well-positioned. I played against Faeries in ye old extended and Volcanic Fallout mainboard was pretty much a blowout (I top8'd that ptq) and Zoo can be slowed down easily enough with 8 one mana burn spells and blood moon in the sideboard.

NO into Progenitus may be my favorite play in all of cube. Especially if I can get it out really early. I've been really stuck on drafting W/x mana denial decks lately. Seeing my opponent tap out to kill my Winter Orb when I have a Hokori in hand makes me smile every time.

I'm essentially expecting Zoo and Jund to trade places in the tiers. All we've done is trade one boogieman for another.

Zoo is really soft to board control cards (especially when paired with format all-start Snapcaster Mage) in a way that Jund w/ Deathrite Shamans wasn't.

I really like the idea of a three toughness+ Zoo deck that runs fallout. It's reasonable burn damage to the dome and provides bulletproof kills on lot of the most popular blue critters in the format.

esterk

An-Det

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100382360]If I name Sphinx's Revelation with Council of the Absolute, do I get two extra cards?[/QUOTE]

No, the 2 is reduced from colorless costs built into the card, not any X costs.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100382360]If I name Sphinx's Revelation with Council of the Absolute, do I get two extra cards?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that works. You determine the final cost of the spell including the chosen X value and then apply the cost reduction from Council.

MjFrancis

No, the 2 is reduced from colorless costs built into the card, not any X costs.

Yeah, that works. You determine the final cost of the spell including the chosen X value and then apply the cost reduction from Council.
Uh-oh, we have conflicting opinions here.

I found this page:
http://www.planeswalkerslibrary.com/card/Council-of-the-Absolute

The only possibly relevant ruling is:
4/15/2013 : If there are additional costs to cast the spell, such as kicker costs, apply those increases before applying cost reductions.
Do "X" costs count as additional costs? If so, Council's ability works well here, doesn't it?

bigkrev

Uh-oh, we have conflicting opinions here.

I found this page:
http://www.planeswalkerslibrary.com/card/Council-of-the-Absolute

The only possibly relevant ruling is:
Do "X" costs count as additional costs? If so, Council's ability works well here, doesn't it?

No, an additional cost would be something like
images

where it clearly says "additional cost. Just remember to tap 5 lands and announce "Rev for 4"

ultron87

You choose the value of X during the step of casting a spell where you're choosing modes and other options:

From the CR -

601.2b . . .If the spell has a variable cost that will be paid as it’s being cast (such as an {X} in its mana cost; see rule 107.3), the player announces the value of that variable. . .

Then a few steps later, after choosing targets and whatnot, you determine the total cost. At that point there isn't any distinction made between a (5) in the mana cost or a (X) where X has been chosen to be 5. So you can apply the reduction from Council just fine.

601.2e The player determines the total cost of the spell. Usually this is just the mana cost. Some spells have additional or alternative costs. Some effects may increase or reduce the cost to pay, or may provide other alternative costs. Costs may include paying mana, tapping permanents, sacrificing permanents, discarding cards, and so on. The total cost is the mana cost or alternative cost (as determined in rule 601.2b), plus all additional costs and cost increases, and minus all cost reductions. If the mana component of the total cost is reduced to nothing by cost reduction effects, it is considered to be {0}. It can’t be reduced to less than {0}. Once the total cost is determined, any effects that directly affect the total cost are applied. Then the resulting total cost becomes "locked in." If effects would change the total cost after this time, they have no effect.

MjFrancis

No, an additional cost would be something like
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrJOzKqhww_oBJM-_cMVbA_z6htG-4FfS2ybc6dtr3dhoMEjbj[IMG]

where it clearly says "additional cost. Just remember to tap 5 lands and announce "Rev for 4"[/QUOTE]Thanks for the clarification. I'm just glad Council works with X costs. It's too bad that it's too slow to work against control mirrors. At least that's what I got from [URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1c882j/dgm_is_council_of_the_absolute_really_that_good/"]this explanation[/URL]. I don't think it's quite as bad as his explanation makes it out to be, but I can see why it isn't used competitively.

An-Det

You choose the value of X during the step of casting a spell where you're choosing modes and other options:

From the CR -

Then a few steps later, after choosing targets and whatnot, you determine the total cost. At that point there isn't any distinction made between a (5) in the mana cost or a (X) where X has been chosen to be 5. So you can apply the reduction from Council just fine.

Oh cool, that's an awesome interaction. I'll have to remember that one.

Top Bottom