• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Crocodile

Mana Leak's not fine, unfortunately. It's literally counterspell on turns 2-4 and the "drawback" really isn't one if you don't intend to ever get to the late game.

Mana Leak was in multiple standard environments without people throwing tantrums. When you release the best blue one drop of all time and the best blue two drop of all time along side it things kind of change :/ :p

kirblar

Mana Leak was in multiple standard environments without people throwing tantrums. When you release the best blue one drop of all time and the best blue two drop of all time along side it things kind of change :/ :p
It was first printed in Tempest blocks. Which featured Wasteland, Cursed Scroll, Hatred, Rec/Sur and numerous other ridiculous cards. It then got a core set reprint, and it quickly became apparent that the card was literally just a better version of counterspell if a blue Tempo deck was possible in the format. Yes, Geist/Delver are stupid, but that doesn't make Mana Leak not stupid- it had already been shown to be a problem in Utter-Leyton's Mythic Bant list prior to rotation.

OnPoint

Friends drafted today, one got a xenagos and a mogis. Then he bought a fat pack. Got two Xenagos in the fat pack. Hah. My friends are somehow eating my share of the luck lol

oh hai steelix

I had to Google it, but your'e right. hah

250px-208Steelix.png

Hero

Mana Leak is an overpowered card. It doesn't even have to have a good blue one drop. It costs one blue and can be splashed into pretty much any control shell.

kirblar

It was originally supposed to have 8: Make Another Germ and attach it. It was having space issues. Then someone made the 3: Return it suggestion. That was of course, an awful idea.

ultron87

So I'm building a mono white deck and I'd like some advice/tips.

I find it often helpful to think what you really want your deck to do. From what I'm looking at here it looks like you want to play cheap creatures, throw auras on them and kill the opponent in a relatively quick manner. So with that in mind we can look at some of the card choices and look at how they fit into that plan. From that perspective there are a couple that standout as possible cuts:

Gift of Immortality - Spending 3 mana to keep just one of your typically less than 3 mana guys alive doesn't seem great, especially when you consider that any other auras will fall off in the process. Another creature is probably better in most cases. (It does have a fun interaction with Ajani's Chosen, but that isn't super reliable.)

Sphere of Safety - This deck shouldn't care if they enemy can attack you or not. You want to kill them way before that really matters.

Revoke Existence - This is likely better in the sideboard. Some decks might just have straight up no targets for it. Or at least they won't have targets that you care about.

Pay No Heed - This is only good against a very limited set of spells, most of which are red. So it would be better suited to the sideboard. You might want to look into a different combat trick that can protect against more stuff. One that targets your creatures would be even better when you consider all the Heroic guys you have. Gods Willing might be a place to start since that protects from almost everything, targets, and can get your guys past blockers for the kill. Just don't name white and make all your enchantments fall off. Brave the Elements would be okay too.

Some more one drops might be a good idea as well. Something like a Soldier of the Pantheon can really get your offense going on turn one. Also maindecking Banisher Priests seems like a solid decision for this deck.

Finally I must give the generic warnings that come along with playing Auras. You're opening yourself up to easy 2 for 1s (or worse) when your opponent Doom Blades your guy in response to putting an aura on him.

thetechkid

I find it often helpful to think what you really want your deck to do. From what I'm looking at here it looks like you want to play cheap creatures, throw auras on them and kill the opponent in a relatively quick manner. So with that in mind we can look at some of the card choices and look at how they fit into that plan. From that perspective there are a couple that standout as possible cuts:

Yeah thats pretty much the goal I'm trying to get to.

Gift of Immortality - Spending 3 mana to keep just one of your typically less than 3 mana guys alive doesn't seem great, especially when you consider that any other auras will fall off in the process. Another creature is probably better in most cases. (It does have a fun interaction with Ajani's Chosen, but that isn't super reliable.)

The reason I have that in there(and plan on getting more) is that with Hero of Iroas it end up being 2(even 1 after getting more Hero of Iroas) and helps with his heroic ability. Yesterday when I was playing it a bit I really wanted to just have stuff to pump him up and having the enchantment auras costly less was a plus.

Sphere of Safety - This deck shouldn't care if they enemy can attack you or not. You want to kill them way before that really matters.

Just kinda threw it in here cus it was one of the enchantments I had laying around.

Revoke Existence - This is likely better in the sideboard. Some decks might just have straight up no targets for it. Or at least they won't have targets that you care about.

Pay No Heed - This is only good against a very limited set of spells, most of which are red. So it would be better suited to the sideboard. You might want to look into a different combat trick that can protect against more stuff. One that targets your creatures would be even better when you consider all the Heroic guys you have. Gods Willing might be a place to start since that protects from almost everything, targets, and can get your guys past blockers for the kill. Just don't name white and make all your enchantments fall off. Brave the Elements would be okay too.

Some more one drops might be a good idea as well. Something like a Soldier of the Pantheon can really get your offense going on turn one. Also maindecking Banisher Priests seems like a solid decision for this deck.

Sounds good.

ultron87

The reason I have that in there(and plan on getting more) is that with Hero of Iroas it end up being 2(even 1 after getting more Hero of Iroas) and helps with his heroic ability. Yesterday when I was playing it a bit I really wanted to just have stuff to pump him up and having the enchantment auras costly less was a plus.

Does it really help much though? It only triggers his Heroic ability the first time you cast it and not when it comes back. And he loses his counters and any other Auras attached to him when dies and the Gift brings him back. So he'll always come back as just a 2/2.

thetechkid

Does it really help much though? It only triggers his Heroic ability the first time you cast it and not when it comes back. And he loses his counters and any other Auras attached to him when dies and the Gift brings him back. So he'll always come back as just a 2/2.

I'd like to be able to constantly have at least one around making everything else cheaper to play.

Crocodile

It was first printed in Tempest blocks. Which featured Wasteland, Cursed Scroll, Hatred, Rec/Sur and numerous other ridiculous cards. It then got a core set reprint, and it quickly became apparent that the card was literally just a better version of counterspell if a blue Tempo deck was possible in the format. Yes, Geist/Delver are stupid, but that doesn't make Mana Leak not stupid- it had already been shown to be a problem in Utter-Leyton's Mythic Bant list prior to rotation.

The context of Tempest block is a good point but I was playing T2 when Mana Leak was legal in 9th edition. I encountered no rage or anguish over the existence of the card back then. No doubt its always been very powerful but the whole "Mana Leak represents all that is wrong with Magic" hyperbole I encountered a few standard seasons back was just eye-roll worthy.

kirblar

The context of Tempest block is a good point but I was playing T2 when Mana Leak was legal in 9th edition. I encountered no rage or anguish over the existence of the card back then. No doubt its always been very powerful but the whole "Mana Leak represents all that is wrong with Magic" hyperbole I encountered a few standard seasons back was just eye-roll worthy.
They also printed Remand (also completely ridiculous and over the line) in the next set. It took them forever to realize "Hey, maybe people like resolving big spells?"

bigkrev

Sell your Burning of Xinye now!

Armageddon with cube art is a lock for this. Damnation as well if they don't want to reprint it in a standard set. No clue what Blue cards go in here- Upheaval?

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100237745]Does Blind Obedience keep Brimaz tokens from blocking?[/QUOTE]Assuming you mean the tokens generated by his blocking trigger, than no. The tokens come in already blocking, regardless of if they're tapped or not.

My guesses:

-Obliterate
-Armageddon
-Sway the Stars
-Austere Command
-Tsabo's Decree
-Wrath of God
-Wake of Destruction
-Wildfire
-Pox
-Balance
-Planar Cleansing
-Death Cloud
-....Tornado? Having a hard time coming up with something green for this.
-....Tsunami?
-Upheaval

My guesses:

-Obliterate
-Armageddon
-Sway the Stars
-Austere Command
-Tsabo's Decree
-Wrath of God
-Wake of Destruction
-Wildfire
-Pox
-Balance
-Planar Cleansing
-Death Cloud
-....Tornado? Having a hard time coming up with something green for this.
-....Tsunami?
-Upheaval

All is Dust has to make it. It's the sweepiest of sweepers.

bigkrev

My guesses

-Ravages of War (the big money card)- Armageddon is a judge foil, so it probably wont be in here
-Catcalism (the new previewed art)
-Desolation Angel (new art)
-Damnation
-Plow Under
-Tranquil Grove (new art)
-Upheaval (new art)
-Amnesia (new art)
-Burning of Xinye
-Insurrection
-Decree of Annihilation
-Door to Nothingness
-Oblivion Stone
-All is Dust
-Decimate
-Lobotomy (Tempest art)

Armageddon, Pernicious Deed and Vindicate are probably not in because they are all judge foils. Ravages of War and Burning of Xinye are both super expensive cards, but not due to tournament playability (they are cube cards) and neither is available in foil. I could see Eradicate subbed in for Damnation if they don't want to put too much value in/they want a standard legal version of Damnation

Hero

My guesses

-Ravages of War (the big money card)- Armageddon is a judge foil, so it probably wont be in here
-Catcalism (the new previewed art)
-Desolation Angel (new art)
-Damnation
-Plow Under
-Tranquil Grove (new art)
-Upheaval (new art)
-Amnesia (new art)
-Burning of Xinye
-Insurrection
-Decree of Annihilation
-Door to Nothingness
-Oblivion Stone
-All is Dust
-Decimate
-Lobotomy (Tempest art)

Armageddon, Pernicious Deed and Vindicate are probably not in because they are all judge foils. Ravages of War and Burning of Xinye are both super expensive cards, but not due to tournament playability (they are cube cards) and neither is available in foil. I could see Eradicate subbed in for Damnation if they don't want to put too much value in/they want a standard legal version of Damnation

I wouldn't expect Ravages of War. They did not specifically mention that 'for some cards it is the first time ever to have a printing in the new frame.'

I have to be honest - I've never understood what Batterskull is actually supposed to be.

like most things New Phyrexia, a giant mistake

screwed around with some legacy this weekend.random thoughts:

- true name's not that bad, true name+stoneforge is what's miserable. that deck (UWR delver) also the best deck if you can't stomach miracles.
- spirit of the labyrinth is a pretty keen sideboard card in decks with white but no blue vs. decks with no creatures. it doesn't help if you are getting turn 2'd on the draw but anything but 1cmc discard or mindbreak trap isn't helping there.
- you can play non-blue linears/attrition decks like lands, junk depths, or something with punishing fire, but they are either super soft to rest in peace or you can just lose to a fast jace or voltron'd TNN even with infinite removal.
- well-built combo seems as reasonable as ever. Just have to be good playing it and run well, like any other deck.
- I'm not sure why UWR has such a hard on for some tempo cards like daze ( I can see some number, but four is maybe one or two too many) and what not given that it is damn slow and less tempo-oriented than RUG delver where it makes perfect sense. Seriously, just main a reb or a reb+pyroblast instead.
- if I was going to play in an event now I would play miracles for sure.

G.ZZZ

Being able to play Evasive threat T1, counter removal T2, Untargetable threat T3, wall of counters + draw T4 onward was what stupid . The next best thing as 1-drops for tempo decks before was Mongoose that required much more deckbuilding constraints, splashing at least a color and was STILL a couple tier of power level below Delver.

When your best T1 play in the color that's (supposedly) bad at creatures is Merfolk of the pearl trident, Mana leak is perfectly fine.
It's when you get a 3/2 flying T1 and a T3 Hexproof angel generator that things get stupid. No wonder when you give said color the best creatures things go badly. They actually said that they didn't want to give white any kind of counters even if they were in color because of how good they would be in a sort of white tempo deck with good white aggro creatures, and then gave blue the best creatures of all colors: TNN, Delver and Snapcaster. GG wotc.

This was a deck that won worlds once, running the almighty powerful but not really counterspell:

2 Darting Merfolk
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merfolk Looter
4 Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
4 Vodalian Merchant
2 Waterfront Bouncer
4 Counterspell
4 Gush
4 Opposition
4 Static Orb
4 Thwart
20 Island

If you balance good points of a color with bad points, then you get different, interesting decks. If you make only creatures good, then you'll just get mix of midrange decks which run the best creatures available and the best creature removal spells. You're actually narrowing the possible number of strategies and kind of interactions, and substituted them all with just creature attack/block interaction. Even legacy nowadays is becoming more and more about casting the better creature and protecting it, or , in case of TNN, just cast buff on it. At least combo existing prevent it from being overflooded by midrange like the other formats (barring Vintage which has his own problems) but still.

Daze is in UWR for combo decks G1. It goes away anywhere else along with Force.

The deck's mana disruption,already kind of awkward unless you have a turn 1 delver, it isn't dense enough to make Daze really work. All but the glass cannon decks have time to play around it because (again, unless you have a turn 1 delver) your clock and mana disruption just aren't good enough to make it work.

I'm not against some number of Dazes, but I think the full set is just asking for too many dead draws.

kirblar

What non-land card has won the most Pro Tours? Counterspell.

Also, Gush and Opposition are both completely busted, lol.

Yes, you can balance bullshit with bullshit. But it will drive away players at lower levels who find it completely unfun.

bigkrev

What non-land card has won the most Pro Tours? Counterspell.

Also, Gush and Opposition are both completely busted, lol.

Yes, you can balance bullshit with bullshit. But it will drive away players at lower levels who find it completely unfun.

Is there actually a study on that topic? I'd love to see it

bigkrev

On "don't make people not want to play?" Basically, read MaRo's columns and Tumblr cover to cover.

I was talking about the card to win the most pro tours ;)

I'd be surprised if Counterspell was the number 1 card- The quickest look I did was the world championship decks they used to put out, and only Carlos Ramos Psycatog deck in 2002 had counterspell in it.

Firemind

Mythic Bant was hilariously easy to beat. It was only a problem because it played most of the best cards at the time and people didn't play enough bolts, terminates and blightnings md. After sbing it becomes even more lolworthy with duress and deathmark.

This was a deck that won worlds once, running the almighty powerful but not really counterspell:

I thought Machine Head won that year. I remember because it was a totally awesome anti-metagame deck.

Top Bottom