• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I am really itching to play some constructed Magic. No MODO account and I sold all my cards recently to stay afloat while I finished college, but maybe I can get my friend to build me a Modern deck for Thursday. Seeing Monoblack Devotion mentioned in here makes me want to give that a shot. I bet it has lots of ways to deal with a t1 Nacatl (post-board especially).

Hey Kirblar, do you have a link to a Modern MBD list?

I am really itching to play some constructed Magic. No MODO account and I sold all my cards recently to stay afloat while I finished college, but maybe I can get my friend to build me a Modern deck for Thursday. Seeing Monoblack Devotion mentioned in here makes me want to give that a shot. I bet it has lots of ways to deal with a t1 Nacatl (post-board especially).

MTGSalvation is where you'll find the most active Modern community on the internet, and they do have a thread for Mono-Black Devotion:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/modern-deck-creation/511935-mono-black-devotion

kirblar

I do! http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=63109

It's way better than the ones in the MBD thread on MTGS. Swap Infest for Drown in Sorrow, obv.

kirblar

Nice, thank you!:What do you think of swapping Bitterblossom in for Arena? Seems like a good upgrade that would fit the curve better (the deck seems overloaded with 3 drops).
I think Bitterblossom does a whole lot of nothing in this deck. You need the raw cards off Arena.

Jeff-DSA

Today's game with my co-worker had a pretty funny end. I had one life left, he had two. He had like five or six creatures out, and I had one, so I was kinda boned, but it was my turn and I had one card in hand and one red mana open.

My creature was Labyrinth Champion, which I had just put out. In hand I had a Spark Jolt, which deals one damage. The Labyrinth Champion's heroic ability deals two damage (target player or creature) when he's targeted by one of my spells, so I played Spark Jolt on him and took the win.

He was a little salty after sitting there so smug and ready to win on his turn.

y2dvd

Twice I did a BNG/BNG/THR draft and already I'm tired of BNG. Though I need some BNG cards, I rather just do BNG/THR/THR. Draft as much enchantment hate as possible.

Twice I did a BNG/BNG/THR draft and already I'm tired of BNG. Though I need some BNG cards, I rather just do BNG/THR/THR. Draft as much enchantment hate as possible.

It's pretty clear from my very limited experience with it that BNG should not be opened more than once in a draft. The power distribution is really wonky.

esterk

Yeah BNG is such a small set and it really needs THS to piggyback off of, much like how DGM needed the other two to do anything.

Gannd

Banned
I've got a quick question. Last weekend during the release events I was talking to people and brought up that I'm getting back into the game, I'm going to buy singles instead of packs and all of that. A guy told me that the FNM crew really look down on netdecking. Well, what I've been doing is reading sites like StarCity Games and printing off proxy decks to play using those standard decks as my starting point. Are a lot of players really that hard on people that just look up decks online and build from there?

I've got a quick question. Last weekend during the release events I was talking to people and brought up that I'm getting back into the game, I'm going to buy singles instead of packs and all of that. A guy told me that the FNM crew really look down on netdecking. Well, what I've been doing is reading sites like StarCity Games and printing off proxy decks to play using those standard decks as my starting point. Are a lot of players really that hard on people that just look up decks online and build from there?

It's not a big deal. FNMs of any reasonable size are always going to have people bringing their own fun brews and people netdecking. Usually constructed entry fees to FNM are so low that no one really cares as the stakes are not that high.

For example, I play cutthroat modern/legacy/vintage, but at FNMs for Standard FNMs I sleeve up the most stupid green and white fatty decks that I can because I think it's fun. if I beat people with established decks, that's a plus. There is enough variance in draws in standard that even the netdecks can completely shit the bed in a tournament.

ultron87

If you're putting your own twist on something I wouldn't really worry about it. That is what most people at shops I go to do, usually to match with the store's specific meta game. Then other people bring fun home brew stuff.

And even if you run the exact 75 as something that won an SCG I wouldn't expect much crap from anyone about it. It's 2014. The Internet exists.

y2dvd

My group of friends absolutely hated net decking to the point where I only drafted with them or played commander. At the lgs, you'll have your mix but if you're spending entry fee, go crazy with the best deck. My lgs does store credit, so on FNM, I just play my version of the best deck to win as many packs and take store credit to draft for "free". Other players can continue to play fun brews or step up the competition.

kirblar

Cracking a box of BNG is probably not very good value is it?
Do you like sending money down the drain? If yes, crack away.

Although this did lead me to sell a box of WWK worth over $1000 (in today's dollars) to my friends. At least it went to friends.

kirblar

Is that how much a box of WorldWake is going for now?
It's my rough estimate of what Foil Jace, Foil SFM, 2 regular Jace + Regular SFM +33 other opened packs goes for. Once they opened the foil SFM I told them they had a foil Jace, lol. The foil run was known. This was when Jace was at 55-ish a month after release though.

esterk

Like others have said, it doesn't really matter at FNM. You'll find all sorts of crazy stuff, along with competitive players playing the 'pro' decks. At my shop we have a number of top tier players who usually play popular decks like U/W control and G/R monsters, but then I usually run into the people playing goofy mill decks and unique stuff also - those are usually way more fun to play against anyway.

ljquoqhelp_arc_sym.jpg

Pick. Plot. Play.
Experience a Magic format where the intrigues begin long before the first spells are cast! Revolutionary new abilities impact every part of the play experience, starting with the draft itself.

ljquoqhelp_arc_cl.jpg

Cogwork Librarian—One of the sixty new Magic cards in Conspiracy .

The first-ever multiplayer-focused booster set has new Magic cards with new mechanics that enhance multiplayer play. Returning favorites from throughout Magic's history round out the set and cultivate an environment of deception and treachery. The Magic: The Gathering–Conspiracy set is designed to be drafted with six to eight players who then split into groups of three or four players for free-for-all multiplayer games.

Number of Cards: 210
Release Date: June 6, 2014
Three-letter abbreviation: CNS
Twitter Hashtag: #MTGCNS

Initial Concept and Game Design: Shawn Main (lead), Dan Helland, David Humpherys, Kenneth Nagle, and Matt Tabak

Final Game Design and Development : David Humpherys (lead), Dan Emmons, K. Joseph Huber, Sam Stoddard, and Gavin Verhey, with contributions from Matt Tabak

Languages: English, Japanese, Chinese Simplified
Available in: Booster Packs

ljquoqhelp_arc_key.jpg

Key Points:
Multiplayer Booster Draft Format
15 Card Booster Packs (MSRP $3.99)
36 Packs per Display
Black-Bordered Cards

ljquoqhelp_arc_mow.jpg

Release event promo card at participating WPN locations.

Cogwork Librarian is common? Prepare to see this card in every cube anyone ever makes from now until eternity.

And I will happily sign up for a release event and give this a whirl. Cube would be cooler, but this is interesting enough to make me do it once.

There was no MTGO release date listed. I'm guessing the MTGO developers said "Hell no" when they saw the shenanigans being pulled by design and this set won't appear on MTGO, so they'll have to come up with some other way to put the other cards into the online format (for Legacy).

So I won another draft at the shop today, but it went kinda weird. Due to an honest mistake by the organizer, there was a mismatch between players and we wound up with two 3-0s.

I went 5-0-1, and the other guy went 6-1-0. Due to tiebreaker rules technically I got 2nd even though I didn't lose a game and he did, but because a 3-0 tie shouldn't be possible we wound up both getting the full prize, which is nice.

Also, Conspiracy sounds like so much fun.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100601114]So I won another draft at the shop today, but it went kinda weird. Due to an honest mistake by the organizer, there was a mismatch between players and we wound up with two 3-0s.

I went 5-0-1, and the other guy went 6-1-0. Due to tiebreaker rules technically I got 2nd even though I didn't lose a game and he did, but because a 3-0 tie shouldn't be possible we wound up both getting the full prize, which is nice.[/QUOTE]

How did he play 7 matches and you played 6? He didn't win because of tiebreakers; he won because he won more rounds than you did, which means he earned more points.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100604723]I won a game then timed out the second in one round. Regardless, we were both 3-0 which is awkward.[/QUOTE]

Oh! I completely misunderstood; those were games, not matches, which seems super obvious now that I read again.

Yeah, if you're both 3-0, then the performance of your opponents is used as a tiebreaker. His opponents were "better" than yours.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100601114]So I won another draft at the shop today, but it went kinda weird. Due to an honest mistake by the organizer, there was a mismatch between players and we wound up with two 3-0s.

I went 5-0-1, and the other guy went 6-1-0. Due to tiebreaker rules technically I got 2nd even though I didn't lose a game and he did, but because a 3-0 tie shouldn't be possible we wound up both getting the full prize, which is nice.

Also, Conspiracy sounds like so much fun.[/QUOTE]

Y'all do a lot of rounds. We normally do 3 rounds starting at 7pm and we are out if there by like 10PM.

Oh no, it's a typical 3 rounds.
Oh! I completely misunderstood; those were games, not matches, which seems super obvious now that I read again.

Yeah, if you're both 3-0, then the performance of your opponents is used as a tiebreaker. His opponents were "better" than yours.

Yeah, that's why we both won. I was mistakenly matched against a "worse" opponent due to the fault of the organizer.

I had a fun deck, though. UB splash white for two Scholar of Arthreos and the Coastline Chimera's ability. Returned Phalanx and Vaporkin for my two drops, a couple tricks and basic bestows to round out the deck along with one nullify and a couple kill spells. But really just winning through incremental advantage by consistently playing creatures that hit a little above the curve or draining.

And ashiok, LOL

A cube wouldn't make financial sense for them because the casual market would only make a single purchase and be done, much like a board game.

Oh well, I'll just play with my own cube like I have for a while now

ultron87

Pretty disappointed that Conspiracy is just a booster product. Being able to pull out a box when I had 4 friends over that were familiar with Magic so we could just play right there with no decks or anything would be great. I guess I'll still need to build my own cube for that experience. Maybe this, plus whatever rules they make for multiplayer draft games, could at least help with a good base for that.

If they'd put out a boxed cube it could've been a cool opportunity for them to try and get into a slightly different market where you could have a Magic game on the shelf next to a game like Dominion or Ascension. And then that game would have built in expansions forever in the fact that it would theoretically work with every Magic card ever.

Though I guess the danger on that front for Wizards is that if people had a one time cost repeatable draft experience they might just stop buying boosters. I imagine this thought is quite scary.

ultron87

Cogwork Librarian is a much weirder card in the context of a booster product. Because its textbox screams "repeatedly draft with me".

Though I guess the danger on that front for Wizards is that if people had a one time cost repeatable draft experience they might just stop buying boosters. I imagine this thought is quite scary.

I think they are honestly happier with people building their own cubes. They don't want a "standard cube" to be put in place-they like the way that each cube owner incorporates their own expression into a cube.

It's not scary from Wizard's standpoint-they want people playing magic, because people playing magic are always going to earn them and the store network more revenue than people not playing magic.

I think they are honestly happier with people building their own cubes. They don't want a "standard cube" to be put in place-they like the way that each cube owner incorporates their own expression into a cube.

It's not scary from Wizard's standpoint-they want people playing magic, because people playing magic are always going to earn them and the store network more revenue than people not playing magic.

I'd give anything to have player-run cube drafts on MTGO. Building a cube would be really fun. Of course, I'd probably build a dozen.

Hmmm, if you're doing a Winchester Draft, how would you use Cogwork Librarian? Seems way too OP to be able to take two stacks for it. Maybe a stack and a single card replacement for the second pick? Still could be pretty devastating.

(I ask only because my wife and I Winchester draft out of my cube with some frequency)

Top Bottom