• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So GAF, what started as a one-time thing of "grab our dusty decks and play all night for the kicks" is now taking my inner circle in a full comeback on the game current modes and rules (All of us played until 2003/2005)

But unlike them that are spending a good chunk of money on their decks for modern play and going to tournaments, I sold my "good deck" and my collection of cards a long time ago and I'd rather now just buy a custom one and have fun. So my question is... Are there any reputable online shops where to buy a custom decks with decent strategy? I'm planning to buy one for modern and one for commander (the last one being rather fun to play from what I have seen)

Oh come on. The mana's not that good in Standard to justify taking that thing seriously.

But the card does have incredible casual appeal. So if it even shows a hint of being good, it will skyrocket in price.

So GAF, what started as a one-time thing of "grab our dusty decks and play all night for the kicks" is now taking my inner circle in a full comeback on the game current modes and rules (All of us played until 2003/2005)

But unlike them that are spending a good chunk of money on their decks for modern play and going to tournaments, I sold my "good deck" and my collection of cards a long time ago and I'd rather now just buy a custom one and have fun. So my question is... Are there any reputable online shops where to buy a custom decks with decent strategy? I'm planning to buy one for modern and one for commander (the last one being rather fun to play from what I have seen)

For Commander, just buy one of the precon decks (look for decks tagged Commander 2013).

For Modern, they have announced that they will be selling a "Modern Event Deck" in a few months, but we don't know what it will look like just yet.

y2dvd

Played a proper EDH game at my lgs for the first time today. The politics that goes on in a multiplayer ffa are hysterical lol. It makes me actually want to try to spruce up my deck.

Kacar

I'm hating my MBD deck now. I'm planning on building the Esper Beats deck similar to what Mihara played at the super series. Just minus Brimaz till I can build up store credit to get a couple.

Chromanticore just Top 8'd a Japanese PTQ. Card's 1.50-2 bux right now. Miight not be that much for longer.

Bgj6yDnCAAEZ2-H.jpg:large
Yea someone at the IQ today started 5-0 with a 4 of chromanticore deck. I left though so I don't know how he finished.

I read about Chromanticore shaking up some tournaments in Japan but I thought that I read it used Chromatic Lantern. Or perhaps it was just speculation on the writers part to suggest the Lantern could be used in such a deck.

kirblar

I read it was irregularities with deathrite shaman in round 13, have they provided any more details yet?
It was over the course of multiple rounds. Sounded like the HJ either wasn't sure if it was enough to DQ him (and wanted to) and consulted or that they scoped him out in rounds 14/15 and saw the same thing happening.

f0rk

Buying foil standard cards seems like a waste. Who's going to buy them off of you?

I am back to brewing Rakdos with those Heralds though, along with Spiteful Returned and Mogis. Agent of Fates might be too deep.

Golgari is pretty fun with Agents of the Fate. Herald of Torment and Boon Satyr are great triggers.

Lightning Talons in a rakdos build is kinda gross, too.

Crocodile

Considering that Agent of Fates has already put up some decent results, that card is probably the most SHALLOW of the cards one could attempt to build around :p

On an unrelated note, we now have MTG ACTION FIGURES:

Magic-The-Gathering-Planeswalker-legacy-collection-series-1-funko-600x232.jpeg

Magic-The-Gathering-Planeswalker-pop-vinyl-figures-funko.jpeg

Featuring "Jace, with real Kung-Fu Grip!"

I wonder if the appearance of Nissa means she's going to re-enter the MTG spotlight soon....

It probably just means that they wanted another female planeswalker, and after Liliana and Chandra the well dries up pretty quick.

If that were the case, they would've gone with Elspeth. She has 3 cards already and is very uh... what's the action figure word for "photogenic"?

In addition, for female Planeswalkers you also have Tamiyo, Kiora, Vraska, and possibly Ashiok (a quick google search says that Ashiok's gender is 'officially unspecified').

If there is going to be a new Nissa, I hope it's not so heavily elf-themed, or otherwise niche.

bigkrev

Is there really that big of a Furry fanbase in MTG? I have no idea why they keep trying to push Ajani, who is just the most boring PW ever.

I'll totally buy the Jace and maybe the Chandra Vinyl figs for my desk though

Garruk is cursed now. Do you not follow the story line? :D

Look at the back of the Garruk Relentless card. He is cursed by Liliana's Veil. Black / Green

Garruk_Relentless.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Elspeth is killed off.

Draxal

Garruk is cursed now. Do you not follow the story line? :D

Look at the back of the Garruk Relentless card. He is cursed by Liliana's Veil. Black / Green

Garruk_Relentless.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Elspeth is killed off.

Well ... Ajani's wasn't white since Alara, and that hasn't stopped him from being in the base set.

Doubt they're killing Elspeth off, she's probably taking the mantle of the new base set white pwalker.

kirblar

Garruk is completely black/grey in the M15 announcement. Also, Nissa is likely due for a return in either M15 or the next block.

Well ... Ajani's wasn't white since Alara, and that hasn't stopped him from being in the base set.

Mono-green Garruk was in Core 14 even after the cursed version in Innistrad. Apparently the core set can do what it wants.

Maro said that they were going to put Liliana of the Veil in Core 14 but pulled her out because black was just too nuts in testing. (which we have found out about mono black)

Maro has also been saying on his blog that Nissa would return. I wonder if she'll be a reprint though.

kirblar

Yeah, people who think Liliana will have to be in Modern Masters are silly. She's very good, but she's very niche in Standard. (normally, right now she'd be hyper-obnoxious.)

OnPoint

I figured with the M14 Garruk that was kind of swept away.

Would be nice if they actually established a place to read the lore.

kirblar

If there was a time for a core set gold/multicolor thieme, this might be the place, due to needing to push back against Theros' monocolor madness.

bigkrev

Yeah, people who think Liliana will have to be in Modern Masters are silly. She's very good, but she's very niche in Standard. (normally, right now she'd be hyper-obnoxious.)

Yep, Jace TMS is the only PW too powerful to reprint, though I would take a lot of time to consider if I wanted to have Elspeth Knight Errant back in Standard.

kirblar

Yep, Jace TMS is the only PW too powerful to reprint, though I would take a lot of time to consider if I wanted to have Elspeth Knight Errant back in Standard.
If she had a starting loyalty of 3 rather than 4 she'd be fine. She's a little too beefy.

OnPoint

If there was a time for a core set gold/multicolor thieme, this might be the place, due to needing to push back against Theros' monocolor madness.
I'd love it. We built a ton of Chomanticore decks online today. My favorite was the Jund version. Really fun to play.

Hero

It's pretty obvious that Garruk is not going to be monogreen in the core set this year.

They wouldn't make two different Nissa figures if she wasn't in the core set either. Kind of wonder how they will make up for how she was the worst PW.

kirblar

It's pretty obvious that Garruk is not going to be monogreen in the core set this year.

They wouldn't make two different Nissa figures if she wasn't in the core set either. Kind of wonder how they will make up for how she was the worst PW.
Tibalt says hi.

Tibalt is pretty bad but all of his abilities are useful. If his first ability wasn't random, he would be completely viable. Sigh. :(

They dropped the ball on him so bad by making it random, geez. If just 'draw and discard' was a little too good, they could've balanced it another way by making you exile instead of discard. Or hell, make you exile first and then draw. That would've been way more interesting.

red13th

They dropped the ball on him so bad by making it random, geez. If just 'draw and discard' was a little too good, they could've balanced it another way by making you exile instead of discard. Or hell, make you exile first and then draw. That would've been way more interesting.

If you had to exile before, he'd be a draw engine when you have no cards in hand unless it read "exile a card, if you do, draw a card".
He should have been an ultimate-less walker... something like

Tibalt the Hate Walker
+1: target critter gets +1/+0 and haste until eot or whatever.
-1: deal 4 damage to target critter (Flame Slash)
-2: destroy target nonbasic land.
Keep the 2CC and 2 Loyalty.

It's a shame he stinks because he looks so cool. :(

bigkrev

I was blinded by him because at the time, All I was interested in was playing 4 or 5 color control decks that were powered by Desperate Ravings. The only problem was that his second ability didn't actually do anything, and his Ultimate didn't end the game. He just always got killed after drawing 2 cards.

If you had to exile before, he'd be a draw engine when you have no cards in hand

Well yeah, that's what I was going for! That's what would make it interesting. There's even a precedence for this in modern red cards with that same effect. That aspect of it wouldn't even come into play until you could practically Ult him anyway, so I think it'd still be balanced at 2 mana.

OnPoint

If you had to exile before, he'd be a draw engine when you have no cards in hand unless it read "exile a card, if you do, draw a card".
He should have been an ultimate-less walker... something like

Tibalt the Hate Walker
+1: target critter gets +1/+0 and haste until eot or whatever.
-1: deal 4 damage to target critter (Flame Slash)
-2: destroy target nonbasic land.
Keep the 2CC and 2 Loyalty.

It's a shame he stinks because he looks so cool. :(

He then becomes a $50 PW instantly.

I'd be in.

ultron87

Intentional or not, it was at least a game play error, no? Shame it was missed.

Yeah, it would've just been a warning, not a game loss, since the error was technically not putting enough back instead of drawing extra cards. I guess that could make it more reasonable to attempt it intentionally (unlike various other on camera cheats of the past) since getting caught wouldn't be a big deal.

That said, unless the player has a history I usually assume it is a mistake for this stuff when it is on camera.

Top Bottom