• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All for combo related reasons. Modern doesn't have the same tools as Legacy to deal with degenerate turn 2-3 combos and those are all cards that either contributed to these combos, made them possible, or made them more consistent.

kirblar

GSZ/Arbor isn't really combo - it's because any green deck that wanted a 1cc mana dork would play 4x GSZ, which happened to also be a split card that tutored up any card in the deck. It's almost exactly why DRS was so damn ridiculous (and finally got banned after running over the format for a year) as well. GSZ/DRS will both stay on the ban list forever and that's ok.

kirblar

JTMS if rumors are to be believed.
It and BBE would have to come in together. After the Legacy GP, I'm actually leaning against wanting to do that to the format. It's not because he's too good, but more because I'd like people to be touching their deck less.

Jund/k just showed up recently in the Modern dailies as well- the deck is clearly not as good but may have a good build out there somewhere.

OnPoint

It and BBE would have to come in together. After the Legacy GP, I'm actually leaning against wanting to do that to the format. It's not because he's too good, but more because I'd like people to be touching their deck less.

Jund/k just showed up recently in the Modern dailies as well- the deck is clearly not as good but may have a good build out there somewhere.

I'm honestly all for them waiting a couple years and then, if needed, shaking up the format with those two as big unbannings.

If they were going to do that, they would have to do it alongside a reprint of JTMS in a supplemental product (like whatever the current iteration of Modern Masters looks like at the time).

OnPoint

If they were going to do that, they would have to do it alongside a reprint of JTMS in a supplemental product (like whatever the current iteration of Modern Masters looks like at the time).

Sure, that's fine by me. As far as I'm concerned, if a card isn't on the Reserved List, there is no reason they can't reprint it. I understand keeping the secondary market happy is important to the longevity of the game, but $30 (and rising) Wurmcoils is insane to me, as are $100 Jaces, and I'm speaking as someone who owns both.

Don't care much about the value. I'd rather play with the cards.

I spent much of tonight playtesting Modern with that Gifts list I posted earlier.

I've been away from constructed for a while in general so my opinion is probably a little noob-ish, but... that deck seems REALLY good.

Turn 3/4 Gifts into Unburial Rites for either Elesh Norn or Iona is unbeatable for like half the decks out there. Against other decks, you have endless removal and blockers until you either stick a good Planeswalker or just Gifts for value and eventually beat them to death with Lingering Souls tokens. The mana is also way better than I was even expecting.

I played vs 3-color Zoo, Pod Combo, Affinity, Merfolk, BUG good stuff, Faeries, and straight burn, and Faeries is the only deck that really gave it significant problems. No surprise there; I'm still trying to figure out the best sideboard strategy to fight that one. Wondering if Leyline of Sanctity is worth it to screw up their discard, Vendilion, and Mistbind Cliques. I'm also a little concerned about Goryo's Vengeance combo, but I didn't see any of that today so I don't know what to think of it.

The Deathrite Shaman ban might have just put Gifts back on the map as a serious contender.

rCIZZLE

I'm still hoping that someday they ban Pod and unban GSZ.

Grave Troll was pre-banned, if I remember correctly.

I have no idea how they would think dredge with troll somehow breaks the turn 4 rule assuming their vision of modern hasn't changed. Like half of legacy dredge isn't even legal in modern and most of that is the explosive part: breakthrough, LED, careful study, cephalid coliseum, ichorid and putrid imp.

kirblar

Watching the replay now. Match commentary is so ...ughh. Props to Randy though.
I'm glad they reacted swiftly to the blowup in chat/twitter and got BDM to replace Rashad. Randy's good but just isn't very familiar with the modern cards. BDM is definitely aware of the formats/decks/concepts, while Rashad just didn't seem to know the cards, interaction or format and was actively misinforming viewers.

Jaeyden

Randy knows his shit. He was awesome during Vintage coverage. Zac is always good to have around. Rashad just stumbles over all his lines all the time and misnames cards. Everyone else seems to just commentate. You can see how much better the SCG team is when it comes to play by play and lines of play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bought my one per set Fat Pack (I like to collect the little card booklets). Brimaz in the first pack =V

Finally catching up on PT day one; I watched the Limited portion last night, but missed the Modern portion.

I knew Blood Moon got a lot better with Deathrite out of the format - but damn.

bigkrev

Deck breakdown from day 1

Archetype Number of Players Percentage of the field
Zoo 64 16.16%
Twin 45 11.36%
Melira Pod 33 8.33%
W/U/R Flash 29 7.32%
Jund 27 6.81%
Hexproof Auras 24 6.06%
Affinity 22 5.55%
Burn 15 3.78%
Scapeshift 14 3.53%
Living End 14 3.53%
Storm 12 3.03%
WUR Control 10 2.52%
Kiki Pod 10 2.52%
Merfolk 8 2.02%
Blue Moon 8 2.02%
Tron 8 2.02%
Infect 7 1.76%
Faeries 6 1.51%
Amulet 5 1.26%
W/U Control 5 1.26%
Other 30 7.57%

Kinda surprised that there are that many Faerie decks. Just seems like a terrible metagame choice

Kacar

I'm pretty clueless on modern. But the amulet and blue moon decks are cool. I also really enjoy watching melira pod. Storm is pretty bad for them to show in the feature match in my opinion.

Jaeyden

I'm pretty clueless on modern. But the amulet and blue moon decks are cool. I also really enjoy watching melira pod. Storm is pretty bad for them to show in the feature match in my opinion.

Well, that's because 2 of the games best players ever are playing it.

Okay, please somebody explain to me what happens here:

http://www.twitch.tv/magic/b/505132558?t=10h47m00s

Why does Eeghan untap, attack, and then casually make two land drops in a row? He doesn't seem to be doing anything deliberately tricky - he just naturally plays a Celestial Colonnade, then plays a Tectonic Edge. Why does he do this? Azusa isn't symmetrical, and nobody seems to notice. BDM even comments that he does this. Am I going crazy? Am I missing something obvious?

bigkrev

Capture_zpscb0fb248.png

0_o

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VigorBloom getting a deck tech makes me so happy.

What a great little engine/deck.

Modern metagame numbers that are kind of surprising or otherwise telling:

Hexproof Auras 24 6.06%
Jund 27 6.81%
Tron 8 2.02%

Did Auras get that much better with Jund and the corresponding Liliana out of the format? And is Liliana really out of the format? Courser of Kruphix was breaking tech last week on MTGO for Jund but it wan't ground-breaking good.

I think some of the Zoo players grossly overreacted to the specter of Anger of the Gods by going into the midrange shells that wound up losing just as many cards to that card while giving away free wins on the play against midrange and control decks with awkward draws. This isn't legacy where you can just cantrip into your hate if you run it as a two-of.

Finally Scapeshift deserves more than the share of people playing it. With less Lilianas being tossed around, that deck is still a one card combo and is adaptable enough to address almost any metagame challenge that doesn't involve that planeswalker.

Okay, please somebody explain to me what happens here:

http://www.twitch.tv/magic/b/505132558?t=10h47m00s

Why does Eeghan untap, attack, and then casually make two land drops in a row? He doesn't seem to be doing anything deliberately tricky - he just naturally plays a Celestial Colonnade, then plays a Tectonic Edge. Why does he do this? Azusa isn't symmetrical, and nobody seems to notice. BDM even comments that he does this. Am I going crazy? Am I missing something obvious?

The only plausible thing that I can think of is, as you mentioned, that Eeghan (and his opponent too, based on his non-reaction) thought Azusa is global.

kirblar

Yeah, it's clearly not a cheat attempt, its just a goof - he doesn't even gain anything off it.

SSG isn't played in Blue Moon, actually.

It's just bizarre. It's like there was a collective cloud of ignorance that washed over the room, as he just plays two lands back to back, the commentators even talk about it ("Colonnade...oooh, and a Tectonic Edge!"), and nobody does anything about it.

kirblar

It's just bizarre. It's like there was a collective cloud of ignorance that washed over the room, as he just plays two lands back to back, the commentators even talk about it ("Colonnade...oooh, and a Tectonic Edge!"), and nobody does anything about it.
Because no one but Matthias (in the room) has touched Azusa in over a decade :p

Hero

Yeah, it's clearly not a cheat attempt, its just a goof - he doesn't even gain anything off it.

SSG isn't played in Blue Moon, actually.

It's not? Maybe I heard incorrectly then. I didn't get to read up on anything firsthand.

This Blue Moon deck uses stuff like Spreading Seas and Blood Moon, right?

I crushed the draft at FNM tonight; 3-0 in matches, 6-0 in games. The deck did nothing particularly broken, but was incredibly consistent at curving out.

Also, Hunter's Prowess is not a fair card in Limited. Holy crap; I took it first, knowing it was really good, but not realizing just how insane it was until I cast it a few times.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dem-curves-btt-draft/

Same, 6-0 in games tonight. GW weenies all day.

turn 1 creature
turn 2 ordeal
turn 3 bestow
turn 4 bestow
turn 5 bestow/kill spell
turn 6 I win

Top Bottom