• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

rCIZZLE

Do you know if they show up to big events and offer the same kind of deal? If they're at GP Richmond then I'll probably just go with them. Offers might even be higher than usually if I get to them early on Friday too.

Do you know if they show up to big events and offer the same kind of deal? If they're at GP Richmond then I'll probably just go with them. Offers might even be higher than usually if I get to them early on Friday too.

I just tweeted them-they aren't on the big list of vendors for the GP Richmond site. They do kind of "compete" with SCG around these parts because they cost less, ship just as fast, and have the same high level of service that SCG does.

I'll let you know when they reply if they are going to be there. If they are there they will work out MTGOTraders.com credits for you which you can redeem through the website to get MTGO cards.

rCIZZLE

I just tweeted them-they aren't on the big list of vendors for the GP Richmond site. They do kind of "compete" with SCG around these parts because they cost less, ship just as fast, and have the same high level of service that SCG does.

I'll let you know when they reply if they are going to be there. If they are there they will work out MTGOTraders.com credits for you which you can redeem through the website to get MTGO cards.

Awesome, thanks!

Magic Gaf, how do I get into EDH? My fav colors are Red, White, Green.

Uril looks cool, but I feel like people will hate me if I show up with him as my general.

Rith looks cool too, will people hate me if I use him?

rCIZZLE

Uril looks cool, but I feel like people will hate me if I show up with him as my general.

Really depends on the competitive level of the other people in your group. You can probably ask them to take a peek at their decks just to see what you want to build. If you start seeing combo pieces then build whatever you want. If they look like precons with some modifications then Uril might be a little too powerful.

In the end though friends will probably be lost since EDH is a hyper-competitive casual format.

y2dvd

Lol so true. It's like a reality tv show. You will see alliances form and politics being played. It's funny how heated it can be, but I've been having fun with it.

I've been using mtg salvation for some deck ideas. Of course collecting the cards are one thing. Tutoring are the best cards as you are going through a 100 card deck and need to grab your win condition. They are just so damn expensive lol, but if you don't mind shelling out for them, I'd start with those cards.

Firemind

Use Mayael and add every fatty you can find. Spearbreaker Behemoth is especially nasty.

flip your deck over with oath of druids and find a way (memory's journey, krosan reclimation, etc.) to draw into enough mana to yawgwill. Kill everyone at the table.

edit: this will get you kicked from some groups. That's OK. Say you have a creature deck. Then kill them with doomsday+lab maniac.

bigkrev

I like having 1 infinate combo in each of my EDH decks, for no other reason than sometimes games go forever and stalemate. My Mimeoplasam deck has Triskelion + Mikaus combo (with Tooth and Nail to fetch it), and my Nin the Pain Artist deck has Deadeye Navigator+Zealous Conscripts+Guilded Lotus for infinite mama, which Nin can kill someone with if they have a creature.

People who play just to combo you out though are cunts who deserve to be shamed

I like having 1 infinate combo in each of my EDH decks, for no other reason than sometimes games go forever and stalemate. My Mimeoplasam deck has Triskelion + Mikaus combo (with Tooth and Nail to fetch it), and my Nin the Pain Artist deck has Deadeye Navigator+Zealous Conscripts+Guilded Lotus for infinite mama, which Nin can kill someone with if they have a creature.

There's a loose rule around here that if someone combo-kills the entire table at once, that person is considered to have "won", and they're out of the game and everyone else keeps playing. It can occasionally create some weird game states, but I really like that rule.

y2dvd

I run Mimeoplasm too. Can you post your decklist?

JulianImp

Finally! My LGS has confirmed that we'll have the Born of the Gods prerelease event this weekend!

The product got ridiculously delayed due to customs, and probably importers not liking the sudden import tax increase we got, so we had a few large events, including a PTQ, where anyone who didn't buy booster packs or singles from internet stores had no BTG cards to play with despite it already being a standard-legal set.

I don't feel too bad about it, but the price hike might end up driving some of the newer player even further away from playing in any limited-format events due to the crazy jacked-up booster pack prices (one booster pack is AR$70 at retail, which'd be something along the lines of US$8.75).

Use Mayael and add every fatty you can find. Spearbreaker Behemoth is especially nasty.

I wanna use Mayael eventually too. I'd like to have 3 decks because all of those commanders are different. I can use the same lands/tutors and some other removal/wipes/utility stuff.

But yeah tutors and some of the lands are $$$$$$

You guys have some bm tactics hahaha, I'm new to this game and this store. Dont wanna rustle any feathers at first. But amongst my friends you better believe I'll whip out these infinite combos to make them mad. I'm sure they're thinking the same thing though.

My experience with Mayael is that she kind of sucks. She's a big target that gets killed or otherwise shut down easily. Her ability is expensive to activate, and you sometimes will just whiff and get nothing. You need to have a pretty high density of big creatures if you want her ability to get something, and that means having lots of expensive creatures that often just sit in your hand. And I also find that it's just not a really synergistic deck. Just lots of big(fun) creatures.

PSA for all MTGO players-after today's maintenance, we switch over to a new month of MOCS, with the promo being Lion's Eye Diamond(!) . Get your QPs.

I once sat down and looked at what it would take to collect 15 QPs in a season. If I'm just drafting, let's assume for this discussion that I'm good enough to outright win 1/3 of my drafts. That's 45 drafts I have to play to get 15 QPs; an average of more than one per day. I usually find time to draft online 3-4 times a week; getting 15 QPs that way is essentially impossible for me.

Constructed is just as bad, since if I wanted to play in a daily, I can only squeeze that in at most once a week. It turns out that working full time and going to grad school doesn't exactly leave time to grind MTGO.

That said I really want one of those gorgeous LEDs. If I run really good, I'll try to find time to make a push towards the end of the season.

I think the most QPs I ever got in a given season was 4, but even at my peak of MTGO I was drafting no more than once a week, and usually quite a bit less.

Firemind

Is LED worth a lot more than Batterskull or Tropical Island or something? I mean, the seasonal promos are sweet, but not spend x amount of money to earn 15 QPs sweet.

Last I looked it was like $180 on MTGO. It's mostly a supply issue; only a couple of different flavors of combo decks in Legacy want them (unlike, say, Force of Will which goes everywhere), but there just aren't hardly any of them in the ecosystem.

Lucario

I once sat down and looked at what it would take to collect 15 QPs in a season. If I'm just drafting, let's assume for this discussion that I'm good enough to outright win 1/3 of my drafts. That's 45 drafts I have to play to get 15 QPs; an average of more than one per day. I usually find time to draft online 3-4 times a week; getting 15 QPs that way is essentially impossible for me.

Constructed is just as bad, since if I wanted to play in a daily, I can only squeeze that in at most once a week. It turns out that working full time and going to grad school doesn't exactly leave time to grind MTGO.

That said I really want one of those gorgeous LEDs. If I run really good, I'll try to find time to make a push towards the end of the season.

I'm in a similar situation. If I hit a win streak and have a couple QPs in the first week in a month, I'll try to kick it into gear to hit 15.... but otherwise, it seems pretty much impossible for me to qualify for this, especially since I'm only playing limited formats ATM.

This is why people multiqueue, I guess, but still :p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";102458600]I went 1-1-1 in the standard artifacts-only pauper today lol

Goddamn those games were draining.[/QUOTE]

Can you even make decks with those conditions? Do you just hope to slam a turn 1 Chronomaton?

Lucario

Can you even make decks with those conditions? Do you just hope to slam a turn 1 Chronomaton?

it's uncommon, unfortunately.

I think Armored Transport and Riot Gear are basically this format's Delver of Secrets and Jitte.

edit: give a Guardians of Meletis flying w/ fleetfeather sandals, ping opponent to death with tower gargoyles & razortip whips.

opponents would have to sideboard in skybinder staff to get around it, i think guardians should probably get the banhammer, especially with the powerful selection available in twenty fucking mana fixing rocks

edit: So I don't know if this is the right move or not, but I play Esper control and I took my two Blood Barons and moved them into the sideboard, replacing two Fiendslayer Paladins. I replaced them with a 4th Thoughtseize and a 2nd Hero's Downfall, with the intention of replacing the 4th Thoughtseize with a 3rd Sphinx's Rev whenever I can trade into one.

G/R monsters is just too strong against me. I went 1-2 in a standard grinder yesterday, the two losses both coming from Jund which is basically G/R monsters with Dreadbore, Sire of Insanity and Rakdos' Return.

it's uncommon, unfortunately.

I think Armored Transport and Riot Gear are basically this format's Delver of Secrets and Jitte.

edit: give a Guardians of Meletis flying w/ fleetfeather sandals, ping opponent to death with tower gargoyles & razortip whips.

opponents would have to sideboard in skybinder staff to get around it, i think guardians should probably get the banhammer, especially with the powerful selection available in twenty fucking mana fixing rocks

Almost every game at the store went 1-0-1 or 0-0-1 lol

Next week is instants, enchantments and sorceries, but I don't think I'll enter. I was gonna make a Junk populate deck but I don't think the cards will arrive in time.

Kacar

Got some birthday money so I picked up a fat pack. Got a Kiora and a phoenix. Really only the 2 cards of value. Might just trade in the kiora and get another fat pack. Don't know yet though. Is the UG kruphix deck any good. Kiora really doesn't fit into that though.

Damn phoenix already went down $3 since I last checked.

y2dvd

I ran Boros Burn yesterday and that was a pretty fun deck. Went 2-2, but my lost was only to a U/W/r control really and I think it can win it. I simply didn't have my deck and sb really built properly yet. (My other lost was because I was 20 minutes late to the first match lol)

The deck work surprisingly well in further testing. Gonna try it on FNM and possibly gameday.

OnPoint

And Goyf is up to $200 on SCG. A $50 jump. It's $150ish on eBay. Fucking ridiculous. Great job with Modern Masters and bringing prices down WotC.

And Goyf is up to $200 on SCG. A $50 jump. It's $150ish on eBay. Fucking ridiculous. Great job with Modern Masters and bringing prices down WotC.

Wow. It probably wouldn't happen but I'd love it if Goyf was printed in a normal rare slot in MM2.

I'm peeved that Celestial Colonnade is a $20 card now. I had a guy ready to sell to me at $9.50 each but then the price jumped.

Other than the fetch lands I still need paper Cryptic Commands, Cliques and Colonnades.

My UWR deck sure is sitting on the back burner waiting for some reprints.

Negator

Didn't even know today was Game Day. I guess that's how disconnected I am from Standard right now.

Magic was never a cheap game to play, but I feel like it's getting out of control now. I am incapable of playing a competitive deck because I lack Mutavault, so now I just don't play. Kind of a shame.

f0rk

Borrowed white red weenie for game day, came 2nd. Deck has a great UW/x match up which I beat 3 times. G/R/x can be awkward but I got there in the top8. Boros Charm + Brave the Elements is very awkward for the opponent to play around but sometimes a 5/5 is just too big to beat.

bigkrev

On the CFB PTQ stream, there is this super sweet Nivmagus Elemental/hidden strings deck that I think I'm going to need to build

LSV is now explaining its a Greg Hatch invention, meant as a meta game choice against all the temple decks

God Enel

Didn't even know today was Game Day. I guess that's how disconnected I am from Standard right now.

Magic was never a cheap game to play, but I feel like it's getting out of control now. I am incapable of playing a competitive deck because I lack Mutavault, so now I just don't play. Kind of a shame.

To be honest i feel the same. that's why i'll just play pauper or highlander. The rest is just not affordable for a casual player.

rCIZZLE

Won my game day with GW Aggro and then won a Modern weekly with Hatebears right after. :p Thinking of taking a break from standard now though since the deck has barely changed over the last 4+ months and the format really doesn't feel very exciting except for a couple new decks seeing play (UW Ephara mostly). Glad that Modern is picking up though so I can play in regular eternal tournaments without traveling.

Got a question for you guys who pay attention to your sleeves: what do you think is the best sleeves for both cleanliness and protection? I've noticed that Dragonshields get dirty very quickly even if they're only played with spotless hands on a spotless, freshly cleaned playmat.

Just traded for my 3rd one today. I'm kind of accepting that the last one will have to come at a higher price but it still makes me feel uneasy trading for such an expensive card that ha to be reprinted again.

NineH

When Future Sight was maybe 2 weeks old, I asked my local gaming store how much theirs was in the case. When they said 20 I smirked no thank you having been burned buying cards when they were still brand new. When the customer behind me immediately snapped the Tarmogoyf up, I told myself what a sucker that guy was. I kick myself everyday for not picking that Tarmogoyf up.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";102487925]edit:[/]

Next week is instants, enchantments and sorceries, but I don't think I'll enter. I was gonna make a Junk populate deck but I don't think the cards will arrive in time.[/QUOTE]

Just play creatureless Maze's End.

I got third place at game day, only losing to my cousin I came with(boros midrange) in semifinals, who I hadn't lost a game to all weekend -_-

Guy that won was playing monoblack splash red for rakdos' return, sire of insanity and dreadbore.

RB and Jund have been tearing up the local scene here.

Just play creatureless Maze's End.

Commons only.

An-Det

SCG just announced on their stream that GP Richmond next week is already the largest constructed GP in history based on preregs, Pretty damn impressive.

An-Det

Oh hi there Modern Opens in 2015.

I'm shocked that they haven't been doing larger-scale Modern events already. Maybe don't replace the Legacy Opens with them just yet, but people clearly want Modern and there's mostly fuck all for it out there for big events.

kirblar

I'm shocked that they haven't been doing larger-scale Modern events already. Maybe don't replace the Legacy Opens with them just yet, but people clearly want Modern and there's mostly fuck all for it out there for big events.
They're going to end up having to run both on Sundays simultaneously in order to not crash the Legacy singles market.

Top Bottom