• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

They're going to end up having to run both on Sundays simultaneously in order to not crash the Legacy singles market.

Legacy effectively dies if the opens go away. Meanwhile, if not reprinted, I could see Tarn and Misty break 100 each if Modern opens become a weekly occurrence.

kirblar

Legacy effectively dies if the opens go away. Meanwhile, if not reprinted, I could see Tarn and Misty break 100 each if Modern opens become a weekly occurrence.
I think people underestimate just how much of the liquid card stock in the market is held by stores.

red13th

I doubt they will, I recall Bleiwiss being very emphatic saying SCG would go back to Legacy every week and had no plans for Modern. You never know, though, but I don't think they will replace Legacy, and they can't really drop Standard.

kirblar

I doubt they will, I recall Bleiwiss being very emphatic saying SCG would go back to Legacy every week and had no plans for Modern. You never know, though, but I don't think they will replace Legacy, and they can't really drop Standard.
You do both.

bigkrev

Its a thing that as more and more time passes, Legacy and Modern get more and more expensive. And if your going to invest in one, aren't you going to invest in the one that is a PTQ and PT format?

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";102879455]How do you guys feel about Elspeth vs Assemble the Legion in the current standard meta?[/QUOTE]

Elspeth is still better as Revoke Existence and Unravel the Ether are in a lot of sb now. Her minus hits G/R monsters and Desecration Demon.

Won my game day with GW Aggro and then won a Modern weekly with Hatebears right after. :p Thinking of taking a break from standard now though since the deck has barely changed over the last 4+ months and the format really doesn't feel very exciting except for a couple new decks seeing play (UW Ephara mostly). Glad that Modern is picking up though so I can play in regular eternal tournaments without traveling.

Got a question for you guys who pay attention to your sleeves: what do you think is the best sleeves for both cleanliness and protection? I've noticed that Dragonshields get dirty very quickly even if they're only played with spotless hands on a spotless, freshly cleaned playmat.

Just traded for my 3rd one today. I'm kind of accepting that the last one will have to come at a higher price but it still makes me feel uneasy trading for such an expensive card that ha to be reprinted again.

Got the list for that GW aggro deck?

Decided to try my luck at a 64-man draft on MTGO. Drafted a sick minotaurs deck that destroyed every game that it didn't get manascrewed in.

It got manascrewed in 2/3 games in round three :(

It extra sucks to lose to mana screw with extra on the line like that, but oh well - that's the game I suppose. The prize difference between going 3-0 and 2-1 is tragically massive in a 64-man; 3-0 gets you guaranteed 9 packs, 3 QPs, and entry into another draft. 2-1 just gets you 4 packs. The cutoff between any of the other tiers isn't even close to that bad.

Elspeth is still better as Revoke Existence and Unravel the Ether are in a lot of sb now. Her minus hits G/R monsters and Desecration Demon.

Yeah, you're right. I just want to make WUBR control and need more reasons to splash red lol Rakdos' Return, boros charm and dreadbore aren't enough. Well, I do get turn // burn and wear // tear in the sb.

And...

demolish?

Anyone try battling the horde at Game Day this past weekend?

I fought it with a Mono-Black Devotion deck and it didn't seem very challenging, or I got really easy draws off the top of the deck from the Horde.

You do both.

Yep, and you make Invitationals a triathalon of constructed formats.

Honetly I don't think Legacy cards would actually take too huge of a hit even if SCG curbed back their Legacy events to certain locales (NE USA, SoCal ) where it's very popular and replaced those events with Modern tournaments. Local Legacy is still alive and well in a lot of places, is loved by its player base despite WOTC's terrible management of the format, and a lot of the staple cards are hotly desired for Commander or Modern.

bigkrev

Yep, and you make Invitationals a triathalon of constructed formats.

Honetly I don't think Legacy cards would actually take too huge of a hit even if SCG curbed back their Legacy events to certain locales (NE USA, SoCal ) where it's very popular and replaced those events with Modern tournaments. Local Legacy is still alive and well in a lot of places, is loved by its player base despite WOTC's terrible management of the format, and a lot of the staple cards are hotly desired for Commander or Modern.

Wasteland and force of will are 100 cards due to SCG. If Legacy opens go away, those prices get halved at minimum

y2dvd

Is there a card database that gives a thesaurus of sorts for cards? I need to get budgeted versions of these expensive edh cards lol.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey can I ask about rules in here? A mate and I have been getting into MtG lately and we had a couple of questions from todays games.

If he has a creature which adds 1 mana when he uses its tap special ability, and I zap that creature with an instant like volt charge, then he doesn't get that mana does he? Coz it resolves backwards yeah?

Also, if I have a creature that gets a +1/+1 counter when it attacks, is that applied the very first time it attacks?

We've been playing Heros vs Monsters dual decks which is all we had but we just ordered 4 sets of Theros complete common/uncommon and 4 of Born of the Gods and a few random rares and I can't wait to start putting our own decks together.

rCIZZLE

Got the list for that GW aggro deck?

Sure thing.

Creatures
4x Experiment One
3x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Voice of Resurgence
3x Fleecemane Lion
3x Loxodon Smiter
3x Boon Satyr
1x Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Instants/Sorceries
4x Selesnya Charm
4x Call of the Conclave
1x Rootborn Defenses
4x Advent of the Wurm

Planeswalkers
2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Lands
4x Temple Garden
3x Temple of Plenty
10x Forest
7x Plains

Sideboard
2x Banisher Priest
2x Rootborn Defenses
2x Unflinching Courage
1x Mistcutter Hydra
1x Skylasher
1x Revoke Existence
1x Glare of Heresy
2x Last Breath
1x Bow of Nylea
2x Pithing Needle

I know a lot of people have gone with Banisher Priest mainboard over Smiters but I just haven't been too impressed by them when I tried. They're insane against some decks but a huge liability against decks packing good removal.

Jaeyden

If he has a creature which adds 1 mana when he uses its tap special ability, and I zap that creature with an instant like volt charge, then he doesn't get that mana does he? Coz it resolves backwards yeah?

Also, if I have a creature that gets a +1/+1 counter when it attacks, is that applied the very first time it attacks?

Yes, he will get the mana. Killing a creature does not stop an activated ability from resolving. If you wanted to prevent the mana you would need to use a card like Trickbind, Stifle or Voidslime (none of which are standard legal) to counter the activated ability.

Yes, the counter is applied at the time that you declare it an attacker.

Actually, to be clear, there is no way to stop a mana ability from resolving. Even Trickbind wouldn't stop the creature from adding mana. Mana abilities are special - they don't use the stack and can't be interrupted.

Jaeyden

Actually, to be clear, there is no way to stop a mana ability from resolving. Even Trickbind wouldn't stop the creature from adding mana. Mana abilities are special - they don't use the stack and can't be interrupted.

This is true. My apologies, for some reason I had Deathrite Shaman in mind when I read his question.

bigkrev

Man, the argument for SCG Premium has been getting weaker and weaker over the last few months. Look at the front page of Channelfireball.com, and look at SCG's front page right now. It's kind of ugly.

OnPoint

Man, the argument for SCG Premium has been getting weaker and weaker over the last few months. Look at the front page of Channelfireball.com, and look at SCG's front page right now. It's kind of ugly.

Yeah it's been a pretty rough couple of months for them.

Wasteland and force of will are 100 cards due to SCG. If Legacy opens go away, those prices get halved at minimum

How many people actually play at Opens so often that they want to own a Legacy deck (or multiple Legacy decks) vs. the larger number of people that play in small LGS events that are sanctioned Legacy events?

The number of people who are regular in the latter column dwarfs the number of people who play in Opens. Europe has no Open Series, the closest thing is Bazaar of Moxen, and yet they have tons of the same kind of 20-40 man local Legacy events that the US does. I'm not going to discount the popularity boost that the Open Series has provided the format, but honestly most of the price spikes over the last five to six years are completely coincident with the swelling of the playerbase, not due to people buying cards to play in Open Series events.

It's a popular format and people like to play it. Especially older, more established players with fondness for old cards and plenty of disposable income. It manages to thrive even through WOTC's neglect.

bigkrev

How many people actually play at Opens so often that they want to own a Legacy deck (or multiple Legacy decks) vs. the larger number of people that play in small LGS events that are sanctioned Legacy events?

The number of people who are regular in the latter column dwarfs the number of people who play in Opens. Europe has no Open Series, the closest thing is Bazaar of Moxen, and yet they have tons of the same kind of 20-40 man local Legacy events that the US does. I'm not going to discount the popularity boost that the Open Series has provided the format, but honestly most of the price spikes over the last five to six years are completely coincident with the swelling of the playerbase, not due to people buying cards to play in Open Series events.

It's a popular format and people like to play it. Especially older, more established players with fondness for old cards and plenty of disposable income. It manages to thrive even through WOTC's neglect.

Why would anyone drop thousands of dollars into a format just to play in small 20-40 player tournaments? The reason for people having all the older cards is that Extended (circa late 90s and early 2000s) was a big deal, and you needed to own FoW and Dual lands for it

So, I'm creating a Magic Online account, and I'm reading the Prize Eligibility section. Apparently, I live in one of the states not eligible for prizes in fee-based tournaments. Is it worth it for me to create an account seeing as how I was hoping to use this to play competitively?

bigkrev

So, I'm creating a Magic Online account, and I'm reading the Prize Eligibility section. Apparently, I live in one of the states not eligible for prizes in fee-based tournaments. Is it worth it for me to create an account seeing as how I was hoping to use this to play competitively?

Just lie, like I assume everyone else on the planet does. It will only be an issue if you with the MOCS or a PTQ

Why would anyone drop thousands of dollars into a format just to play in small 20-40 player tournaments? The reason for people having all the older cards is that Extended (circa late 90s and early 2000s) was a big deal, and you needed to own FoW and Dual lands for it

Do you have a local Legacy community in your area? I do, and I've seen many players , many of them pretty young and not necessarily bursting with cash, build out multiple legacy decks with dual lands/force/LEDs, etc over the span of a few years using trade hustle for their rotating Standard cards and tournament winnings (from those local events).

They do it because they like the format and want to play. Some of them might go to one Open Series event a year, but their initial commitment was to play with the rest of us in the Legacy events.

This isn't an isolated phenomenon either. Same for Vintage-the mass exodus of power from the US to Europe during the 2000s was due to the same sort of regular local Vintage events they have there (and where proxies are not permitted).

bigkrev

Scalding Tarn and misty now BUYLISTING for 70 on SCG

After this GP (which is going to be gigantic, already largest constructed ever on pre-reg alone), I could see those 2 being more than any 3rd ed dual land not named Underground Sea

Edit: also paying 40 for Marsh Flats, which can be found for less than that on Tcgplayer

OnPoint

I think I know the answer, but I want to ask. Say you play Phantasmal Image and name Emrakul. Do you get the extra turn when it resolves?

May FNM promo is Tormented Hero!

1899927_620567664692767_860647853_n.png

rCIZZLE

Scalding Tarn and misty now BUYLISTING for 70 on SCG

After this GP (which is going to be gigantic, already largest constructed ever on pre-reg alone), I could see those 2 being more than any 3rd ed dual land not named Underground Sea

Edit: also paying 40 for Marsh Flats, which can be found for less than that on Tcgplayer

I wonder if the other vendors are going to follow this.

Does that seem kind of ballsy considering that reprints are highly speculated?
OR do they just assume they can sell of their stock of them before that is announced?
I know with Modern season approaching card prices are expected to get even nuttier.

ultron87

They'd really only have to worry about reprints in Conspiracy or the Event Deck as potential ruiners before PTQ season. I don't think either of those having fetches is very likely beyond the Event Deck having one, maybe.

f0rk

OR do they just assume they can sell of their stock of them before that is announced?
I know with Modern season approaching card prices are expected to get even nuttier.

They'll probably flip a lot of them on the day.

bigkrev

Well, people are playing tons of Modern, and if the fetches are getting reprinted, it's not till M15 (and I'm thinking it's the fall large set so the shocks aren't legal at the same time). They are SOLD OUT of Tarn at 100- why not price it higher?

A lot of these big buy list moves are so SCG can buy up and refill stock at the event. You want to be the guy on the booths known for getting through a collection quickly and paying well for it, and buy list bumps are a way of doing that.

The size of the GP this weekend is staggering. At this point I think people on the fence about going are thinking about going just to be part of the spectacle.

bigkrev

Speaking of which: who all here is planning on going? I'll be there with Hatebears.
If it was easy to get to via DC metro I would probably have gone. But the metro doesn't go that far south.

I would probably play Storm if I could borrow 2 Tarns, or Affinity if I couldn't.

kirblar

If it was easy to get to via DC metro I would probably have gone. But the metro doesn't go that far south.

I would probably play Storm if I could borrow 2 Tarns, or Affinity if I couldn't.
Where do you live? (I live in Centreville and we're driving past the Metro on the way out.)

edit: Oh, duh -RCizzle- do you know anyone with extra room for the weekend? I have a ride but currently no place to crash. :p

kirblar

In jersey just outside of Philly- I could justify going to visit my brother at University of Maryland and taking the metro to the tournament if it were possible, but it's just too much of a hassle
Oh, yeah, that'd be a planes, trains and auto mess.

rCIZZLE

Where do you live? (I live in Centreville and we're driving past the Metro on the way out.)

edit: Oh, duh -RCizzle- do you know anyone with extra room for the weekend? I have a ride but currently no place to crash. :p

Wish I could man but we're at like 7 in our room already. :( Those are the only people I know for sure are going too.

Not quite, but not worth it for the 0-2 drop!

There is a GP in Philly soon, I'm probably going to go to that mainly to cash out most of my collection

I think I'll be there too. Not a huge fan of limited GPs due to extreme randomness but that's the last one before the legacy GP in November that I'd be able to go to.

Top Bottom