• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Cedric: Looks like this was a conscious decision to play Boon Saytr over Courser.

Sullivan: I'm pretty sure he saw the Born of the Gods spoiler by now.

lol

Go GR Monsters!

An-Det

So glad that I got back to my place in time to watch the last game of the PT finals. Really want to go back and watch the rest, but I love that UWR control won it out.

ultron87

The first two times he chumped though were on an Exalted pumped Pridemage instead of an Ooze. Seemed weird to do that when he was at 18 and would take 6.

I guess he maybe did it since he had nothing better to do with his mana at that particular point and keeping five up for Collonade is a lot.

OnPoint

Grisselbrand is $40 now. Emrakul is $50. I'm so glad I didn't sleep on those.

I feel like the secondary market is starting to get a bit greedier these days in terms of pricing though... can this keep up?

kirblar

Grisselbrand is $40 now. Emrakul is $50. I'm so glad I didn't sleep on those.

I feel like the secondary market is starting to get a bit greedier these days in terms of pricing though... can this keep up?
People are just buying out everything. It's getting ridiculous.

OnPoint

I feel like it's going to get to the point that if the price expansion keeps up, I'll be able to sell off my collection in a year and make double what it's worth today.

These buyouts are causing some really ridiculous jumps in price, and I don't think it's a sustainable bubble. I've slowly been trying to buy legacy staples as I can afford them but I'm not sure I'll be able to continue if this keeps up.

kirblar

I feel like it's going to get to the point that if the price expansion keeps up, I'll be able to sell off my collection in a year and make double what it's worth today.

These buyouts are causing some really ridiculous jumps in price, and I don't think it's a sustainable bubble. I've slowly been trying to buy legacy staples as I can afford them but I'm not sure I'll be able to continue if this keeps up.
I'm so glad I got the big 3 duals (Sea/Tundra/Volcanic) finished last year. The others I can slowly pick up this year. They may tick up, but I won't need 3-4 of any anytime soon.

OnPoint

I'm so glad I got the big 3 duals (Sea/Tundra/Volcanic) finished last year. The others I can slowly pick up this year. They may tick up, but I won't need 3-4 of any anytime soon.

I'm finishing my Tundras now. Finished my Seas. The Volcs were my next target. Ugh.

I am convinced if Owen Turtenwald/LSV/some super pro took sixty random future sight rares and put them in a pile next to him while having dinner, so speculator from QS or /r/mtgfinance would get a hold of it and the contents would be up 300% by the next morning.

I wouldn't be into Legacy if I didn't already have the cards. I'd just play on MTGO, where Legacy is finally alive and well after years of being iffy, and borrow cards from a deck from a friend if I had a tourney to play in. Vintage is the same way after it is released this June and honestly it is a better format than Legacy outside of how fucking stupid Bazaar of Baghdad is with dredge cards.

edit: Griselbrand is such a stupid card. Why is this thing allowed in Legacy/Modern? It's just a better version of a card that is rightfully banned everywhere but Vintage.

edit2: People are buying out Bitter Ordeals now? OK, I thought I was nuts when I went all-in for Survivals after GP Columbus in 2010, but Bitter Ordeal? Really? Last time I saw that getting any play was a few years ago at Vintage Worlds in a deck from freaking Conley Woods.

I'm torn. Because the player base keeps getting bigger year over year. But the prices are getting absolutely ridiculous.

Well, that's what is supposed to happen when supply stops and demand grows.

Probably not supposed to go up this fast/high, but hey, magic nerds pay up when they want cards

rCIZZLE

Legacy cards jumping doesn't bother me too much anymore since there's not enough of a community around here to make me become bored and want lots of deck options. Modern sucks now though since there's a lot of potential for growth if people can actually afford to play.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Theros:

CQSFmQI.jpg

He opened with Battlewise Hoplite into Aqueous Form into Hopeful Eidolon, and folded like a house made of matchsticks. The was the finals. I 3-0d the draft fairly easily.

rCIZZLE

Just watched the rest of the pro tour top 8 and even though it didn't win, I really want to play that RUG Twin deck. Don't really have time to build it for the GP but I'd like to have it for this summer.

MjFrancis

I have a Devotion to Dimir deck I've been tweaking and playing. Been having a lot of fun with it, and I had a much more experienced player give me some tips on how he'd play it or what he'd change. It's basically Monoblack Devotion but I splashed a little more blue than most who do.

2 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4 Nightveil Specter
4 Pack Rat

4 Underworld Connections

3 Dimir Charm
2 Far // Away
4 Hero's Downfall

1 Erebos, God of the Dead

4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

4 Thoughtseize

4 Island
1 Mutavault
11 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

SB: 3 Dark Betrayal
SB: 3 Duress
SB: 3 Lifebane Zombie
SB: 3 Notion Thief
SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 Whip of Erebos

He was playing U/G Monsters. The only real big criticism he had at first was my reasoning behind running Dimir Charm. He thought that there was a lot of other removal that would work better, but I like it's versatility and that there's quite a few creatures with 2 power that it can destroy. When I hit a Courser of Kruphix with it he told me his opinion of it improved.

I know running Ashiok as a 4-of isn't very popular, but I want to drop him turn 3 as often as I can. If I hit more I'll hopefully be able to make more pack rats with him. I know that gives me a lot of dead draws and I'm depending on a shaky combo but I like God's Beard's reasoning for running him and I think he's a fun card to play with. Running four Ashiok's and four Nightveil's gives this Monoblack deck a nifty subtheme of playing with an opponent's deck - again, an X factor that reduces consistency, but when it works I earn a lot of card advantage.

I've also got the cards to move this deck towards Orzhov Control, but now that I've got the Blood Barons U/G and R/G archetypes are making a big splash and they don't worry about BB's whatsoever. I might sell those while they are still worth something. I also have the pieces for a Devotion to Rakdos deck, which again is Monoblack but with a couple Dreadbores, two Rakdos's Returns and a three-of Slaughter Games.

So any thoughts are welcomed. I've got a few games in and I like it so far, but none against U/W or Esper Control yet.

OnPoint

Here's a deck we tried out this weekend. I said I'd provide a deck list at some point. It almost certainly needs tweaking, but man, was it a LOT of fun to play. I suited up a Pack Rat with Chromanticore at one point and won the game on the spot. We also had another person just snap concede to a hardcast Chromanticore.

C2KhSKq.png

MjFrancis

What sorceries can you even counter? Seems like a worse Bile Blight.
I was thinking Mizzium Mortars specifically. Maybe T2+ Thoughtseize and perhaps Divination. I like the third ability for setting up Ashiok or Nightveil draws. I've never used it on myself since I seem to have enough card draw between those two + Underworld Connections + scry. I've yet to use Erebos's card draw too.

So it's definitely worse removal in many cases, but it takes out half of a white weenies deck, Elvish Mystic, Courser of Kruphix, Nightveils and Scavenging Ooze and Pack Rats before they blow up. I'm trading versatility for effectiveness. Same with the choice of Far // Away v. Devour Flesh.

Ideally a T3 Ashiok pulls out a few good creatures that require an answer. If they don't attack him and give me a turn with no life loss on T4 I would frequently drop a Polukranos or an Arbor Colossus and still have four mana open for whatever. Their T3 Courser is kind of a bad matchup for Dimir Charm + Ashiok, really.

Against less creature heavy decks I think Ashiok will be be less reliable. I think Dimir Charm is in the same boat, but I suspect it would be more useful than a maindeck removal spell v. control.

OnPoint

My whole problem with Chromanticore- isn't Blood Baron of Vizkopa just better 80% of the time, and a lot easier to cast?

Maybe? But I'm not building Chromanticore decks because I want to win tournaments. I'm building them because they're fun, as a deck building exercise and to see people's reactions. People almost always have something to say when you cast it. Every time I cast one I feel like I'm living the dream, man.

That this deck was as good as it was for me, it's probably better if you cut the beater and the Lanterns and use those 8 slots for something more productive. It's not a bad GB base, honestly.

Edit: Also, Chromanticore is AWESOME with Bow of Nylea in play.

MjFrancis

I didn't keep track of the Modern tournament, so I was wondering why I got a few inquiries on if I'd sell my Threads of Disloyalty from my Betrayers of Kamigawa set.

Instead I'm considering using the card to put towards building that Blue Moon deck. If only it weren't so expensive now.

Firemind

I didn't keep track of the Modern tournament, so I was wondering why I got a few inquiries on if I'd sell my Threads of Disloyalty from my Betrayers of Kamigawa set.

Instead I'm considering using the card to put towards building that Blue Moon deck. If only it weren't so expensive now.

I already have most of the cards, so might as well. Izzet forever!

Can't believe Remand is $15. I have like two playsets from all the drafting back then. :lol

MjFrancis

I'm nowhere near pro so I'd build Blue Moon on a budget. I'd just forgo the fetches and hope they are reprinted in Modern Masters 2. Mid-value on TCG went from $1,021 to $469 when I dropped those four eight cards. I only have a few cards for this since I've only been playing nine months now. I probably have enough cards to trade around for most of the rest though.

I really should have bought Cryptic Commands when they were cheaper. I remember thinking $20 was a bit much when I was considering a Time Walk deck. I'll know better in the future.

OnPoint

I'm nowhere near pro so I'd build Blue Moon on a budget. I'd just forgo the fetches and hope they are reprinted in Modern Masters 2. Mid-value on TCG went from $1,021 to $469 when I dropped those four cards. I only have a few cards for this since I've only been playing nine months now. I probably have enough cards to trade around for most of the rest though.

I really should have bought Cryptic Commands when they were cheaper. I remember thinking $20 was a bit much when I was considering a Time Walk deck. I'll know better in the future.
You sound like me and City of Traitors. $40 seemed like too much. OOPS.

That's why I just pony'd up and completed my Tunrda set like 5 minutes ago.

kirblar

I read about that the other day. They've also registered Khans of Tarkir and Warlords of Khanar.
We got Warlords months ago. But since then Warlords of Draenor was announced, and the new titles imply that they've since changed the names. And praise Xenagos if true, because "Warlords" are lame.

ultron87

The speculation I saw on Reddit that this would be Sarkhan Vol's home plane seem relatively on point. What with the dragons and the khans.

Dimir Charm is awesome in Esper control because it totally fucks your opponent once they're top decking. And it kills most of the haste creatures you'll fun into.

Speaking of, since Ashiok was brought up here's my Esper control decklist now that I've finally completed my deck:

3x Thoughtseize
1x Elixir of Immortality

3x Azorius Charm
1x Dimir Charm
2x Far // Away

3x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4x Detention Sphere
3x Psychic Strike
1x Hero's Downfall

4x Supreme Verdict
2x Jace, Architect of Thought

1x Jace, Memory Adept
2x Blood Baron of Viskopa

2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

2x Sphinx's Revelation

Land:
2x Mutavault
4x Temple of Enlightenment
4x Temple of Silence
3x Temple of Deceit
4x Hallowed Fountain
3x Watery Grave
3x Godless Shrine
1x Swamp
1x Island
1x Plains

Sideboard:
1x Pithing Needle
2x Blind Obedience
2x Fiendslayer Paladin
2x Doom Blade
3x Gainsay
3x Lifebane Zombie
2x Notion Thief

God Enel

Guys, I bought a Modern Masters Booster Box (Display) when it came out. Should I open it or wait until prices go up and sell? is it still in print?

OnPoint

The speculation I saw on Reddit that this would be Sarkhan Vol's home plane seem relatively on point. What with the dragons and the khans.

Seems to make sense. Kind of disappointed though, as I have little interest in dragons in Magic these days. And is Sarkhan dead?

Top Bottom